Texas Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Baylor

Members don't see this ad.

1FutureDDS said:
txdds thanks for the reply!!

Did you apply again in may before you got accepted?

No, actually I hadn't yet. I was trying to decide if I wanted to go through the whole application process again when I got a call from Baylor. It was serendipitous, to say the least.

txdds said:
No, actually I hadn't yet. I was trying to decide if I wanted to go through the whole application process again when I got a call from Baylor. It was serendipitous, to say the least.

Thanks! Check your PMs txdds :)

Members don't see this ad :)
san_eli said:
is there anyone who has received an acceptance from san antonio during rolling admissions?????

If anyone has any info on SA please post, very curious as to their satus as far as filling their class...thanks

this thread needs to be on the first page....so there.

So has anyone heard any news from the Texas schools? It seems as though they have been idle lately.

san_eli- I got accepted during rolling admissions for SA but I don't know what their status is as of right now, if the class is filled or not. For those of you who are still waiting for a letter from one of the schools, be patient since I was told that the letters still come out in March, or even later. Let me tell ya, this is big time pre-dental stress!!! For those accepted in your hometown, where will you live? Home or near school? *I'm having difficulty choosing between convenience and cost*

CatsLover said:
san_eli- I got accepted during rolling admissions for SA but I don't know what their status is as of right now, if the class is filled or not. For those of you who are still waiting for a letter from one of the schools, be patient since I was told that the letters still come out in March, or even later. Let me tell ya, this is big time pre-dental stress!!! For those accepted in your hometown, where will you live? Home or near school? *I'm having difficulty choosing between convenience and cost*

CatsLover-congratulations on your acceptance and thank you for your repsonse.. when did you interview at uthscsa/get accepted???

Any one else get the letter from Baylor about their post-bac program?

Yea I'm pretty sure everyone gets sent the application for the post-bac

san_eli - I interviewed mid Dec. and got accepted mid Jan. - approx. one month of anxiousness. =)

Dent2010 said:
Any one else get the letter from Baylor about their post-bac program?

I got it. Don't know what it means exactly, but I'm going to call them on Monday to find out if everyone gets it sent to them, or whatever.

Members don't see this ad :)
Dr. Music said:

I think the fact you got a post-bacc letter from Baylor is a bad sign. A requirement for their post-bacc program is that a student have applied to their dental school and was rejected. I haven't heard that they send post-bacc letters to everyone....just those who have been rejected.

Those of you who received the letter about the post-bac program from Baylor, were you also asked to be on the alternate list?

I'm on the alt list at Baylor and received a post-bac packet.

MC Wiggles said:
I think the fact you got a post-bacc letter from Baylor is a bad sign. A requirement for their post-bacc program is that a student have applied to their dental school and was rejected. I haven't heard that they send post-bacc letters to everyone....just those who have been rejected.

Ok, I just spoke with them. They told me that everyone who wasn't accepted into the 2006 class will get a packet. That INCLUDES people on the alternate list. In addition, they told me that the alternate list has not had any movement as of yet, but that those who are on the alternate list are still in the running for positions in the 2006 class until classes start.

So, yes they send letters out to everyone who hasn't been ACCEPTED, but not to only those who have been REJECTED.

Another thing to note is that the dentist I work for just had someone move into the house next to him, who works for the adcom in Houston. Apparently, Houston is under a lot of stress with applicants from Louissianna. LSU's dental school has closed and so they are having to review applications from LA as well as TX applications. Naturally, their primary focus is giving spots to in-state students, but that is part of the reason why they are taking longer than usual to get back to us all. That said, once Houston gets up and running with more acceptances, Baylor's *full class* might start thinning out a bit, which means spots will open up for us alternates.

Don't lose hope guys. Keep the faith! :D

amazing how long it takes or what it takes for people to admit they are on the alt list when we've been talking about it for weeks now.

I'm on the alt list, and got the post-bac letter.

I try not to check the threads that often. . . it stresses me out.

1FutureDDS said:
amazing how long it takes or what it takes for people to admit they are on the alt list when we've been talking about it for weeks now.

what does this mean? i don't understand..

It means exactly what it says. Everyone comes here posting acceptances and waitlists and then the majority of people just ghost in the crowd with their info.

1FutureDDS said:
It means exactly what it says. Everyone comes here posting acceptances and waitlists and then the majority of people just ghost in the crowd with their info.

ok thanks. My english is not too good.

So since Houston is apparently so behind in their review process, could that mean they are still offering interviews?

hellOKiTTyrox said:
ok thanks. My english is not too good.

Ok, scratch that. I just called Houston, and they are definitely not offering anymore interviews. Deep down inside, I knew that was the case. It's crazy the things you will tell yourself to believe out of crazy desparation!

Dying2beDDS said:
So since Houston is apparently so behind in their review process, could that mean they are still offering interviews?

Dying2beDDS said:
Ok, scratch that. I just called Houston, and they are definitely not offering anymore interviews. Deep down inside, I knew that was the case. It's crazy the things you will tell yourself to believe out of crazy desparation!

Well that sure stinks. I've already interviewed at Baylor and San Antonio, but no word from Houston. :(

Just got in to San Antonio. Alright!

Now, I'll be honest, one of the reasons I applied there is because according to the rankings of 10 years ago it was "the best" dental school... nobody thinks the rankings are worth much of anything, but I was pretty impressed by the school why I was there.

Basically, I've pretty much decided to accept the offer from SA and now I want to hear from other people that are going there about how great the school is. I'm also wondering about accepting an offer from Creighton, because you get mad clinical skills there, but, the cost, chance to specialize, and SA name are kind of winning me over. Plus, Omaha is really cold.

wuyide said:

Now, I'll be honest, one of the reasons I applied there is because according to the rankings of 10 years ago it was "the best" dental school... nobody thinks the rankings are worth much of anything, but I was pretty impressed by the school why I was there.

Basically, I've pretty much decided to accept the offer from SA and now I want to hear from other people that are going there about how great the school is. I'm also wondering about accepting an offer from Creighton, because you get mad clinical skills there, but, the cost, chance to specialize, and SA name are kind of winning me over. Plus, Omaha is really cold.

When did you interview at SA? did you interview/get accepted anywhere else besides there and Creighton? SA is cool, have had alot of family attend there.

wuyide said:

You can't go wrong with either school. I'm from Texas so I am biased towards San Antonio. Omaha might be cold, but SA is definitely on the other side of the temperature spectrum. ;)

tccalloway said:
When did you interview at SA? did you interview/get accepted anywhere else besides there and Creighton? SA is cool, have had alot of family attend there.

I had a couple other offers, but they were all more expensive than SA. I guess that is one of the main reasons for wanting to go to SA. Oh, and everyone was so friendly too!

I interviewed back around... um... I think it was during october. Is there a San Antonio Class of 2010 thread? I should probably just look... oh well!

Who is all going to SA?

wuyide said:

Grats bud! Question, did you get into any other TX schools?

wuyide said:

good job on getting in to SA! i guess there is hope for those to get in on rolling admission. anyone else? :luck:

Dr. Music said:
Grats bud! Question, did you get into any other TX schools?

Thanks! Nope, but San Antonio was the only one I applied to. Texas seems like a pretty great state ( I was born there, but moved away when I was 7).

As for the rolling admissions... I was pretty off guard when the letter came in the mail. But a funny thing happened right before it came, i got an email from a real-esate agent letting me know what the market was like down there. I thought something fishy was going on... but I still wasn't expecting the acceptance, so it was a nice surprise.

Anyword this week from SA on rolling admissions?

Any word this week from SA on rolling admissions?

tccalloway said:
Any word this week from SA on rolling admissions?

Per a conversation with Dr. Thomas, class is full.

Anyone applying to Texas Schools' DDS/PhD program..Which schools have it? Is Baylor good research facilities?

hey does anyone know whether San Antonio will continue with the powerbook line or switch up to the macbook? dear god i hope they switch to the macbook. they're so freaking sexy :D

tonydds said:
hey does anyone know whether San Antonio will continue with the powerbook line or switch up to the macbook? dear god i hope they switch to the macbook. they're so freaking sexy :D

I'm having this powerbook for over a year but I'm so excited about getting new one this summer (SA makes you buy new laptop no matter what you've already had) Macbook is for sure but i dont know $2,400 on computer fee will cover mac book for us?

Are you going to SA? I'm from Dalas and ready to move down there in June. Anyone else going to SA?

katieTX said:
I'm having this powerbook for over a year but I'm so excited about getting new one this summer (SA makes you buy new laptop no matter what you've already had) Macbook is for sure but i dont know $2,400 on computer fee will cover mac book for us?

Are you going to SA? I'm from Dalas and ready to move down there in June. Anyone else going to SA?

im from houston, and ill probably been moving there around junish also. i also have had a powerbook for about 6 months now (i was a diehard pc user). the mac book with the 80gb harddrive is only 1999 so i think if theyre upgrading its affordable.

Hey you guys, how are the stats on the schools so far? My friend has been waiting forever for a third batch letter from Houston...has anybody hear anything from them yet?

CatsLover said:
Hey you guys, how are the stats on the schools so far? My friend has been waiting forever for a third batch letter from Houston...has anybody hear anything from them yet?

from what i heard houston has about 14 spots left

Can anyone help me with the Texas FAFSA school codes?

dentschoolbound said:
Can anyone help me with the Texas FAFSA school codes?

For Baylor the code is 004948

SA i still have faith in you!! please hand me a bone.

tonydds said:
from what i heard houston has about 14 spots left

I got a call from Houston the other day. They wana know which school I'm gona attend because this year they have to consider some Lousiana students. Hope those 14 seats are open for TX residents also. Good luck everyone.

I got a letter from San Antonio yesterday saying that no further acceptances are being issued for the class of 2006. They said that an alternate list has been created and that I am on it, but in order to stay on it I have to send in a letter saying that I want to be on it. I am not sure if everyone who does not get in gets on the alternate list or not. What a depressing time :( .

Dent2010 said:
I got a letter from San Antonio yesterday saying that no further acceptances are being issued for the class of 2006. They said that an alternate list has been created and that I am on it, but in order to stay on it I have to send in a letter saying that I want to be on it. I am not sure if everyone who does not get in gets on the alternate list or not. What a depressing time :( .

are you in or out of state??

katieTX said:
I got a call from Houston the other day. They wana know which school I'm gona attend because this year they have to consider some Lousiana students. Hope those 14 seats are open for TX residents also. Good luck everyone.

nothin against louisanna residents, but I would think that Ut houston would want to keep the class texans only!

HD

Dent2010 said:
I am in state. Has anyone else recieved this letter?
so SA says they're full, dallas says they're full, and houston says they have 14 spots but they have to accept louisiana students? i wonder how close to the truth this is because in previous years people were getting accepted within the next few months. Are people that courteous this year to not double or triple book and know exactly where they want to go?