Texas Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Sorry to ask again. Does this mean that the FULL class (90 people or so) has sent their deposit???

Members don't see this ad.

1FutureDDS said:
Kitty, did you get the letter or not? I cant understand your message.

no i didn't get any letters.

tinman831 Quote:
Originally Posted by hellOKiTTyrox

AHHHHgggggggH ANYONE NOT GET THE LETTER ? ME WORRYED.

Don't worry. The mail also comes tomorrow as well

yea...i've had that mentality since December 1st. im going to suicide. i wonder what the suicide rate is for pre-dental failures....

Wow, amazing to hear Baylor is full.

Members don't see this ad :)
hellOKiTTyrox said:
no i didn't get any letters.

yea...i've had that mentality since December 1st. im going to suicide. i wonder what the suicide rate is for pre-dental failures....

Too bad, I was soo looking forward to meeting you. :smuggrin:

Yea, I'm wondering what the chances are for the class to remain full? Was there even a second round or what? I know all schools send out on Dec. 1st, but are the other schools slow with their stuff, putting all of those accepted to Baylor only in a bind to take the Baylor spot at that time?

MC Wiggles said:
Too bad, I was soo looking forward to meeting you. :smuggrin:

dude u need to get off your high horse and chill. i thot u were mature enough to drop your little online animosity character. "awww too bad..." what the hell kind of 7th grader still says that crap ? grow up dude. no need to worry.... if you decide to go baylor...we will eventually meet, whether im not in the class or not. yea..ur best bet would to be to just withdrawl, crawl in a hole, and F yourself in the mouth. :) :love:
and i mean it in the nicest way possible. what is your name son?

i actually admire your tactics...so what's the secret..tell me. did you wear a brown bag on your face to cover the protruding dingus on the day of your interview?

Ok why is this still going on?

I'm tired of hearing this crap when I come here to find out serious info about what's going on with the process....

Someone rid this person of their ability to spew this crap in this forum.

1FutureDDS said:
Ok why is this still going on?

I'm tired of hearing this crap when I come here to find out serious info about what's going on with the process....

Someone rid this person of their ability to spew this crap in this forum.

I too find HelloKittyRox to be vulgar, and judging from the overall content of her posts quite immature. The funny thing is that I'm going to be attending Baylor next year and I was genuinely interested in meeting this character.

By the way, I have some D3 and D4 friends at Baylor. They said that they heard from Dr. Miller that there was a VERY good first round response and that it is true that presently they are only filling alternate slots. I was also told that last year only two people on the alternate list actually made it off the list and into the dental class.

Anyone know how many spots are available each cycle for the DDS/PhD program at each of the texas schools? And how many actually get filled?

Thanks

Don't know what to expect. I interviewed for all 3 schools in November. Got accepted to San Antonio on Dec 1 but haven't heard from Baylor or Houston. I would really like to go to Houston since I live here. Since it is almost feb, should I give up hope on Baylor and Houston?

callmeandy said:
Don't know what to expect. I interviewed for all 3 schools in November. Got accepted to San Antonio on Dec 1 but haven't heard from Baylor or Houston. I would really like to go to Houston since I live here. Since it is almost feb, should I give up hope on Baylor and Houston?

yea same here, however my friends from UTH keep telling me that its not over yet and wait until march and if not i still have a chance until i get the rejection. I actually wouldn't mind going to SA but UTH is closer to home.

so...baylor is full. what about SA?

No offense to baylor students out there, but why does everyone want to go to baylor? I was more impressed with the other two schools by far...especially houston. Personally, I wanted baylor because this is where my family is, but if I were choosing a school based on factors other than location baylor would have been at the bottom of my list. Why would baylor fill up prior to the other two schools???

Members don't see this ad :)
I went to baylor because they gave me $5000.00 per year in scholarship money. I never even got an interview at Houston and I have never seen the school first hand so I won't comment on that school. I did go to San Antonio and I was accepted there. I liked the privacy of their clinics more than the open floor style at Baylor but I didn't think that San Antonio was superior to Baylor. Honestly they rank about the same in my mind. I liked the faculty at Baylor more than San Antonio. They just seemed a little bit more freindly. That's my two cents.

My girlfriend emailed a few of her friends who go to Baylor and they said that almost half the current first year class got their acceptances in and around April, because they were waitlisted. I don't know how true this is, or how true the comment about only 2 ppl making it off the list and into the class is, but honestly, half the stuff on this forum is untrue or made-up solely for the purpose of making other people feel worried. So a lot of you guys need to calm down.

A few people on this very forum, in this very thread said that they recieved their acceptances in the second round (January), which means that they were still filling spots in the actual accepted class until now. NOW, after the second wave, they are filling positions on the waitlist. This also means that there are people who have not paid their deposits yet. Logically, if they have just recieved their acceptance letters, not every single person could have possibly gotten their deposit there by now. No offense to those who don't have a whole lot of money (I'm one of yall), but I know the deposit is a lot of money and I'm sure you'd want to hold out as long as you can so you don't waste whatever the amount is on one school, and then get accepted to your top choice the next day. Anyhow, so by Baylor saying that the class is full, it means that they have sent out 90 or so acceptance letters. Whether or not all 90 will confirm their spots with deposits AND actually attend the school in august leaves much to the imagination. True story, I have a friend who got accepted to SA last year in the LAST WEEK OF JULY! The guy had 1.5 weeks to get an apartment, move everything he needed down there and prepare to start dental school. Don't give up hope yet guys.

Now, this is strictly my opinion (and also the opinion of the dentist I work for), but Houston may be lagging behind the other two schools a bit because of Hurricane Katrina. I don't know this for sure, but it's a possibility. I know that they gave out interviews to the last people of 2005 a little later than they normally do because of the hurricane. I was one of those people.

In addition, people still have not heard from other schools, depite hearing from Baylor, or whatever other school they actually have heard from. Those people may not want to go to the school they got accepted to, and may hear from Houston or SA in February or March, or whenever, meaning a spot will open up somewhere.

So don't despair guys. Keep your heads up. It's not over until classes start in August. Believe me. It may feel like everything's already over since you haven't gotten a letter saying anything. But if it feels that way, give the school a call, and ask them what exactly they are doing and what the status of your application is. Call and ask them if you're ion the alternate list or if they've started making one yet. Have they filled the class? What's going on? Just don't give up.

Hey for what its worth guys, a guy in our class got accepted one week before school started because somebody dropped off the list. We call him Mr. Lucky, but he is here so that is all that counts.

Competition seems fierce this year in Texas.

MC Wiggles said:
Competition seems fierce this year in Texas.

Yes. It is. There has been a slew of abnormally high scores this year. I have no idea why. It's ridiculous. But my sister works for a dentist in Dallas who is on the Baylor adcom and she told me that the scores this year on the DAT were among the mid 20's. Ri-friggin-diculous. I seriously don't understand it.

Dr. Music said:
Yes. It is. There has been a slew of abnormally high scores this year. I have no idea why. It's ridiculous. But my sister works for a dentist in Dallas who is on the Baylor adcom and she told me that the scores this year on the DAT were among the mid 20's. Ri-friggin-diculous. I seriously don't understand it.

It's probably time for the ADA to change up the DAT test questions or something. It seems they've had the same tests out for at least two or three years and test takers are starting to "learn" the test, and by "learn" I mean as in exact qustions in some cases that show up on the test...or the subject matter of reading passages, etc. Also, I wonder how many of those high DAT scores were accomplished on the first try.

my bad...got trigger-happy with the submit button. :oops:

Dr. Music said:

hi guys, if you don't mind me asking...how did you guys fair on the DATs ? im especially interested in the perceptual part...that was tough for me. :oops: i thot all the angles were the same.... :thumbdown: :scared:
the average is what...20 or 21 for the tx schools? some people are putting up pretty good numbers, like Dr. Music said... just wondering how everyone else feels about this; and also, like MC wiggles mentioned, was it the first try for yall ? :thumbup:

Hello All, I'm a first year dental student at Baylor and I can really empathize with all of you. I'm sure you realize by now that the dental school acceptance system is very flawed. As far as waitlists go, LOTS OF PEOPLE FROM MY CLASS WERE ACCEPTED FROM THE WAITLIST. I'm talking like 20+ people. Many people were accepted in March/April and a handful were accepted in June/July. I personally didn't get my acceptance until the first week of June and I had been told by the Baylor admissions office in Feb. that I was on the secondary waiting list (as in the waiting list after the waiting list). When they say the class is filled, they just mean they've sent out 90 letters. So those of you who haven't gotten accepted yet, you still have a chance. Furthermore, when you get accepted does not seem to have much of a correlation with how well you do. Lots of people in my class who got Dec.1 letters are really struggling, and many people who got late acceptances are excelling. So take a deep breath and try to be patient. I know it sucks.

txdds said:
Hello All, I'm a first year dental student at Baylor and I can really empathize with all of you. I'm sure you realize by now that the dental school acceptance system is very flawed. As far as waitlists go, LOTS OF PEOPLE FROM MY CLASS WERE ACCEPTED FROM THE WAITLIST. I'm talking like 20+ people. Many people were accepted in March/April and a handful were accepted in June/July. I personally didn't get my acceptance until the first week of June and I had been told by the Baylor admissions office in Feb. that I was on the secondary waiting list (as in the waiting list after the waiting list). When they say the class is filled, they just mean they've sent out 90 letters. So those of you who haven't gotten accepted yet, you still have a chance. Furthermore, when you get accepted does not seem to have much of a correlation with how well you do. Lots of people in my class who got Dec.1 letters are really struggling, and many people who got late acceptances are excelling. So take a deep breath and try to be patient. I know it sucks.

TXdds, did you apply again in May then? (the same year you matriculated)

txdds said:

txdds, thanks for the inside info; that is very encouraging.

txdds thanks for the reply!!

Did you apply again in may before you got accepted?

last couple of Baylor posts have been very encouraging!! :) it may be 2 early 2 ask but, has anyone that interviewed in January heard back yet?

Yea I interviewed on January 11th, a Wednesday.
Got the alternate list letter early last week.

Wow this thread actually fell off the main page :rolleyes:
Come on lets hear some word from San Antonio and Houston!!

ok so baylor is a bust. what about SA? anyone hear anything? :thumbup:

tinman831 said:
Just a heads up, but I was told that SA is done with their interviews. :)

Sounds about right. They've been interviewing for 6 months already.

i just called the schools yesterday on Feb 1st. Houston said that they made their second round choices 2weeks ago and sent them out. they said they may have a 3rd round "sometime in Feb" but were not specific. SA says they made their 1st round on Dec 1 and then are on rolling admissions. Baylor has made their rounds and made an alternate list, from which they will pull if/when a spot opens up.

Okay, so here's the deal. I just got an acceptance to Houston. I have already received one from San Antonio. I am very fortunate to get two, but Baylor has always been my #1. This is my offer: I am offering one San Antonio or one Houston acceptance for one Baylor acceptance. Any takers?!?!?

dentschoolbound said:
Okay, so here's the deal. I just got an acceptance to Houston. I have already received one from San Antonio. I am very fortunate to get two, but Baylor has always been my #1. This is my offer: I am offering one San Antonio or one Houston acceptance for one Baylor acceptance. Any takers?!?!?

Hmmm... I don't think acceptances can be traded like baseball cards. If Baylor doesn't send you an acceptance, you can't just take someone else's. :)

dentschoolbound said:

When did you actually receive your Houston letter?

LG-dent said:
When did you actually receive your Houston letter?
I received it yesterday (2/2), but it was dated 1/19. It had been sent to the wrong address, opened, and then forwarded to me. I have to give them a call because the reply deadline is today, 2/3.

Did you receive your san antonio acceptance on dec. 1st or after first round???

I received the San Antonio letter on Dec. 1st. Although it was #2, it was nice to have the security of being accepted into a school.

is there anyone who has received an acceptance from san antonio during rolling admissions?????

anyone get a general letter from the UTHSCSA (not dental or medical, but general) saying, and i quote, "in the event that ou are accepted as a student, you need to begin the hepatitis b immunization series immediately..." blah blah. is this a letter foretelling a future acceptance letter or am i reading too much into this. i got it today 2/4/06. from austin, interviewed 2nd week in september, no 1st round or 2nd round acceptance yet. let's keep hoping! :thumbup:

I'm not 100% sure but I think it means you got in cuz I just got a letter saying the same thing and I was accepted. Why would they bother to send you that if you are not going to be going to their school? I think you got in if your name is on the letter so...Congrats!

vipergts66 said:
anyone get a general letter from the UTHSCSA (not dental or medical, but general) saying, and i quote, "in the event that ou are accepted as a student, you need to begin the hepatitis b immunization series immediately..." blah blah. is this a letter foretelling a future acceptance letter or am i reading too much into this. i got it today 2/4/06. from austin, interviewed 2nd week in september, no 1st round or 2nd round acceptance yet. let's keep hoping! :thumbup:

vipergts66 said:

I recieved the same letter on Friday. I interviewed at San Antonio in October and I have yet to recieve an acceptance. I think that they just send this letter out to every one they have interviewed. I was so excited when I saw the letter, but then I was so pissed when I read what it was (what teases)!

i sure hope so. i love SA. it makes sense only to tell me to get a Heb B vaccination only if i've been accepted...unless they're just out for my overall well being...minus the mental pain and agony i've suffered thus far. here's to hoping, and gl to all. :luck:

Babi3Ducki3 said:
I'm not 100% sure but I think it means you got in cuz I just got a letter saying the same thing and I was accepted. Why would they bother to send you that if you are not going to be going to their school? I think you got in if your name is on the letter so...Congrats!

to clarify, it is addressed "dear applicant" :(

vipergts66 said:
i sure hope so. i love SA. it makes sense only to tell me to get a Heb B vaccination only if i've been accepted...unless they're just out for my overall well being...minus the mental pain and agony i've suffered thus far. here's to hoping, and gl to all. :luck:

My friend got one of those letters and called the school. They told him that it's only a general letter that is sent to ALL applicants to UTHSCSA, both medical and dental applicants, and in no way is it an indication of your application status. The Hep B vaccination series takes 6 months to complete, so it's in your best interest as an applicant, to get the vaccination started NOW if there's the even slightest chance you might get accepted in the future. Just get the vaccination, you'll need it eventually.

I got accepted to san antonio and sent in my intent to enroll form even though I'm waiting for Houston or Baylor. Does this affect my acceptance at those schools?

MC Wiggles said:
My friend got one of those letters and called the school. They told him that it's only a general letter that is sent to ALL applicants to UTHSCSA, both medical and dental applicants, and in no way is it an indication of your application status. The Hep B vaccination series takes 6 months to complete, so it's in your best interest as an applicant, to get the vaccination started NOW if there's the even slightest chance you might get accepted in the future. Just get the vaccination, you'll need it eventually.

aaww i was starting to get excited :oops:

i got the same letter. i called them and they told me that dr. thomas wanted to send that to all the applicants in case they get accepted late. she didnt even know that ive already been accepted. she said something to the affect of "... hold on to that letter until you have recieved an acceptance letter"

Man! Waitlists can lower ones patience!