Texas Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
katieTX said:
I got a call from Houston the other day. They wana know which school I'm gona attend because this year they have to consider some Lousiana students. Hope those 14 seats are open for TX residents also. Good luck everyone.

I went down to the office on monday and asked them about the louisiana considerations. They told me they are considering TX students first.

Members don't see this ad.

Dr. Music said:
I went down to the office on monday and asked them about the louisiana considerations. They told me they are considering TX students first.

Did you take fresh-baked cookies too? :smuggrin:

hi texans-

i just recieved by snail mail an offer letter from houston; i will probably decline cuz san antonio is looking better to me, so there should be another seat coming up in houston. good luck to those still waiting.

Members don't see this ad :)
Any news on Baylor offering spots? or are they still full?

has anyone turned in their deposits to SA?

tonydds said:
has anyone turned in their deposits to SA?

I don't get this...I was not requested to submit a deposit from SA??? Anyone else have to pay a deposit?

btw..just an fyi to those who are going to sa, I called them a couple days ago to verify that I have recieved all correspondence that they have sent out and they told me they were in the process of making and sending packets out to new students. In the packet they will ask you what os you want on you laptop and scrub size...etc.

jr8047 said:
I don't get this...I was not requested to submit a deposit from SA??? Anyone else have to pay a deposit?

I haven't heard about any deposit either.

That's exciting they're getting some packets together to send out. I heard the macs will have a dvd burner and webcam.

wuyide said:

That's exciting they're getting some packets together to send out. I heard the macs will have a dvd burner and webcam.

:thumbup:

wuyide said:

yea if they decide to switch over to the mac books then thats what itll have... its a sweet machine

tonydds said:
yea if they decide to switch over to the mac books then thats what itll have... its a sweet machine

Hello All,
I too am going to SA dental school this July. I really liked the school when I visited there. I am going to school at Rice in Houston but I am looking forward to moving to a less hectic place like SA. :)

I haven't recieved much correspondence from SA yet, but from your posts I gather that they should be sending out stuff soon.

Any word on housing? Maybe we should start SA thread...

jr8047 said:

btw..just an fyi to those who are going to sa, I called them a couple days ago to verify that I have recieved all correspondence that they have sent out and they told me they were in the process of making and sending packets out to new students. In the packet they will ask you what os you want on you laptop and scrub size...etc.

Has anybody received the info packet from San Antonio yet?

endless summer said:
Has anybody received the info packet from San Antonio yet?

I haven't, but I did hear Baylor has sent theirs out, so maybe we'll get ours soon.

jr8047 said:
I haven't, but I did hear Baylor has sent theirs out, so maybe we'll get ours soon.
i called SA, they said that they will be sending sending stuff out to us in april

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks tony :)
tonydds said:
i called SA, they said that they will be sending sending stuff out to us in april

I just got a letter from San Antonio yesterday requesting that I bring in my W2, 1040 and 'independent verification form.' Has anyone else recieved this letter, and do you know if we actually have to file our 1040 before taking it in, or can we just fill it out and sign it? I want to wait for my next paycheck before sending in my taxes.

Thanks,

Dan

deebog01 said:
I just got a letter from San Antonio yesterday requesting that I bring in my W2, 1040 and 'independent verification form.' Has anyone else recieved this letter, and do you know if we actually have to file our 1040 before taking it in, or can we just fill it out and sign it? I want to wait for my next paycheck before sending in my taxes.

Thanks,

Dan
why would they ask for that? i thought theyll get all that info through fafsa

deebog01 said:

Thanks,

Dan

Dan-I have an idea of why you received that, but I'm not sure if this is the same as your situation. A couple of years back I received a letter from my financial aid office stating that they needed some additional info (can't remember exactly what, but I know my 1040a was requested) because the govt randomly audits/verifies applicants for financial aid. I gave them the additional info they requested and that was the end of it. Of course, I don't know if this is your situation for sure, but it would be my best guess.

Hey Guys-

I was in SA this weekend looking for housing and everywhere I went there were medical students. Turns out they had some type of meet & greet. Just a heads up for those looking for apartments. We don't want those darned med students getting all the good cribs. :eek:

did anyone bother to apply for the Baylor Post-Baccalaureate Program? :confused: im thinking maybe I should've tried...although i'm not disadvantaged, really. :idea:

hellOKiTTyrox said:
did anyone bother to apply for the Baylor Post-Baccalaureate Program? :confused: im thinking maybe I should've tried...although i'm not disadvantaged, really. :idea:

any takers ? :oops:

I know several people who have participated in Baylors Post Bacc program, as well as their summer program, and all of them have gotten accepted or are currently attending Baylor. :)

the post-bacc program is for underprivelaged students only. You could try applying, couldn't hurt, but they accept less than 10 people and it is based on need.

Dr. Music said:
the post-bacc program is for underprivelaged students only. You could try applying, couldn't hurt, but they accept less than 10 people and it is based on need.

That's not true. The post-bacc program does take need and hardship into consideration, but I've known some well-to-do people, BMW-driving students who went through the program (ex. a lawyer's wife, a veternarian's wife, etc.).

Dynomite said:
That's not true. The post-bacc program does take need and hardship into consideration, but I've known some well-to-do people, BMW-driving students who went through the program (ex. a lawyer's wife, a veternarian's wife, etc.).

Ok, I'm sorry. You're right, there are people who do have money who get accepted to the program. However there are special considerations they take into account. Right, it's not only financial need, although that is a driving factor. There's also race, sex (both your examples were female), and that sort of thing.

They DO only pick less than 10 people though. In fact, I think its more like around 6-8 people. I called them and asked about it a month or two ago. I can't remember the exact number, but it was a single digit.

Dr. Music said:
They DO only pick less than 10 people though. In fact, I think its more like around 6-8 people. I called them and asked about it a month or two ago. I can't remember the exact number, but it was a single digit.

This year there were 8 of them. I believe they are all attending UNT (where I am now).

Has anyone heard from Baylor regarding the post-bac program. I think interviews were going to be given out this week or something.

They only take 8 people.

bbaker said:
Has anyone heard from Baylor regarding the post-bac program. I think interviews were going to be given out this week or something.

They only take 8 people.

I have an interview with Baylor on Monday for thier post-bac program. Im praying for the best. I got a phone call and they gave me some interview dates to choose from. Wish I had a more solid idea of what to expect (as far as what they'll ask) although i did get some help in another forum. Im assuming it might be just like their regular dental school admissions interview---why dentistry, why Baylor and this program etc, etc. Your correct they only take 8 people and those chosen should hear back by April 28th. if anyone has some tips please share....

Anyone else slightly perturbed San Antonio hasn't sent out our financial aid packages yet?

dentaldaze said:
I have an interview with Baylor on Monday for thier post-bac program. Im praying for the best. I got a phone call and they gave me some interview dates to choose from. Wish I had a more solid idea of what to expect (as far as what they'll ask) although i did get some help in another forum. Im assuming it might be just like their regular dental school admissions interview---why dentistry, why Baylor and this program etc, etc. Your correct they only take 8 people and those chosen should hear back by April 28th. if anyone has some tips please share....

I know some people who went to Baylor post-bacc. Treat it like a full-scale dental school interview, that's what they'll be doing to you.

Dynomite said:
Anyone else slightly perturbed San Antonio hasn't sent out our financial aid packages yet?
i called and was told we should be receiving something the end of this month

just to give the SA people heads up i received my financial aid letter today

do you know what the average acceptance score is for SA is regards to the model?

I received mine today too. Now I'm looking for apartment :confused: Hope to see all SA people in July :luck:

Katie

tonydds said:
just to give the SA people heads up i received my financial aid letter today

katieTX said:
I received mine today too. Now I'm looking for apartment :confused:

Any early ideas, Katie? I'm also starting to look, trying to figure out what price range to shoot for.

anyone looking for a roomate for Baylor?

Dynomite said:
Any early ideas, Katie? I'm also starting to look, trying to figure out what price range to shoot for.

I found an apartment at the lodge its about 550 a month for 1/1 and about 700/mo for 2/2 and its walking distance from school.

I got my financial aid letter from SA couple of days ago too.

I am looking around for housing also, is anyone here looking into buying a condo or an house and sharing it with people or are you guys just planning on renting for 4 years?

Hi All,
My name is Insiya Hussain and I will be a dental student at SA this fall. I am looking for some girls to share a place with me in san antonio. I would prefer someone who is either a dental or a medical student. If you are interested please email me at [email protected].
thanks!

tonydds said:
I found an apartment at the lodge its about 550 a month for 1/1 and about 700/mo for 2/2 and its walking distance from school.

Nice. So which did you opt for, the 1br or 2br? I haven't actually shopped the apartment market around the school, was hoping to do that soon.

Dynomite said:
Nice. So which did you opt for, the 1br or 2br? I haven't actually shopped the apartment market around the school, was hoping to do that soon.
the 1 bedroom for now, maybe a roommate when i get to know more people.

For the SA students.

Do you think the MacBook is worth the higher educational media fees? The MacBook fees are estimated at $5,000 and the Dell is "only" $4,000 (from page 3 of the info package sent out last week). I know the MacBook has been receiving outstanding reviews but I'm not sure it is worth an extra $1K.

deebog01 said:
Does anyone know if we can download a student handbook for san antonio, or do we need to buy it from the school?

Thanks,
Dan

I think you can download it. I looked through last years's couple of months ago.

endless summer said:
For the SA students.

Do you think the MacBook is worth the higher educational media fees? The MacBook fees are estimated at $5,000 and the Dell is "only" $4,000 (from page 3 of the info package sent out last week). I know the MacBook has been receiving outstanding reviews but I'm not sure it is worth an extra $1K.

Yeah, I was wondering the same thing. I got my packet in mail today.

endless summer said:
For the SA students.

ive already turned my form in and im getting the macbook, all i know is ive been through 2 pc laptops and still using the only powerbook ive bought... no problems. We all know about the popups/viruses that come along with windows machines. Only 1% of all computer viruses that exists function in macs. So even if you happen to download a virus and open it, it will not work in the macbook... cant say that for the dell. Besides, you can have both platforms on the macbook because apple switched over to intel processors. In my opinion, saving $1000 means nothing when my computer crashes while im working on something important and it disappears. The dells are pretty nice though.

Me 2, I'm so excited to have macbook this year. Thanks SA for update so fast. But I dont know what to do with my powerbook G4. I'm wana keep it because selling it now is not a good deal. Tony is absolutely RIGHT. You will love the Mac once you use it.

About apartment, I went down to SA 2 weeks ago and discuss with others in this forum about apartments. I finally choose the Melograno (melogranoapartments.com) This is an brand new place and will fill in quickly. I also visited the Lodge, it's pretty nice and a walking distance to school. There's SO MANY apartments around the school area so make sure you look at some before making decision.

Good luck everyone. See you in SA July 16 :) :luck:

tonydds said:
ive already turned my form in and im getting the macbook, all i know is ive been through 2 pc laptops and still using the only powerbook ive bought... no problems. We all know about the popups/viruses that come along with windows machines. Only 1% of all computer viruses that exists function in macs. So even if you happen to download a virus and open it, it will not work in the macbook... cant say that for the dell. Besides, you can have both platforms on the macbook because apple switched over to intel processors. In my opinion, saving $1000 means nothing when my computer crashes while im working on something important and it disappears. The dells are pretty nice though.

How the Houston people doing? anything new? financial aid packets yet? it's just slow right now... just waiting.. =)

I'm a Houston kid, still waiting for the financial aid package. Is it supposed to have arrived already, or is mine just lost in the mail? Well, let me know how you guys ve been preping for d-school. As for me, I can't wait til July comes so I can kiss my pain-in-the-ass job good bye =)

katdds said:
How the Houston people doing? anything new? financial aid packets yet? it's just slow right now... just waiting.. =)

What's up, Houston D-1's? I just received a packet on Friday with information about when orientation is, make sure we're getting our vaccinations (which I still haven't started), fill out the criminal background paperwork (make sure we're not a bunch of thugs), and info about the army scholarship.

Here's a question for current UT-Houston students - What's involved with the white-coat ceremony on the Saturday after orientation? Are family members invited to attend? I don't actually remember seeing any students during my interview wearing "white coats" even in clinics. Just curious.

The white coat ceremony (at least the one last year) was incredibly long and a little on the boring side. We left comments about that during the survey they sent out, so maybe they will pep it up a bit. You listen to speaker after speaker talking about dentistry, the history of the med. center, the coating of the new D1s, etc. At the end there is a dinner for everyone down in the basement. Nobody wears their white coat once you get in school. Well, I'm sure somebody somewhere does...but, you know :) It's more of a symbolism thing. Everything is pretty informal here ~ Family members are invited and encouraged to attend...they really try to make it a special day for you guys. Well...we look forward to seeing you soon :) We are already working on plans to make the transition for you guys as easy as possible. Now...on to the last Gross Final Exam :) !!!!!!

Beachluvr

~ Soon to be D2 ~

FCIllini said:
What's up, Houston D-1's? I just received a packet on Friday with information about when orientation is, make sure we're getting our vaccinations (which I still haven't started), fill out the criminal background paperwork (make sure we're not a bunch of thugs), and info about the army scholarship.

Here's a question for current UT-Houston students - What's involved with the white-coat ceremony on the Saturday after orientation? Are family members invited to attend? I don't actually remember seeing any students during my interview wearing "white coats" even in clinics. Just curious.