Texas Tech entering C/O 2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
arsenalgunner said:
...and the single 1st & 2nd years are going to ogle you. ...

We'll see who does more ogling ... :laugh:

Then again as an MS-0 there's always the lovely Tech undergrads . :love:

Members don't see this ad.

civic4982 said:
We'll see who does more ogling ... :laugh:

Then again as an MS-0 there's always the lovely Tech undergrads . :love:

Even though I am married, I will have to agree. Lubbock sunsets would be subpar if there weren't undergrads. Even better though are the nursing students here at the school. But I am married so I am just going off of what my classmates have told me. :D ............um, (delete delete delete)...... coming dear!

And the ogling, it's already begun. Our class has been scoping you out since you interviewed here.

theringworm said:
Even though I am married, I will have to agree. Lubbock sunsets would be subpar if there weren't undergrads. Even better though are the nursing students here at the school. But I am married so I am just going off of what my classmates have told me. :D ............um, (delete delete delete)...... coming dear!

And the ogling, it's already begun. Our class has been scoping you out since you interviewed here.
I'm telling........ :smuggrin:

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the awesome info! I got my forms filled out now ...and it's gonna be El Paso.

Since it's too expensive to fly from Boston, I'll not make it to Spring Training :(, but it'll only be a few months more before I'll be in town for good. See y'all!!!

...haha, ogling... not for me, or maybe so.

I'm still in my long distance or not decision state - 4 more yrs on top of 2, *sigh*, is a long time. You guys with SO near by are really lucky.

who is gonna play golf in that tournament? I'm considering whether or not the frustration of my hard left slice is worth dealing with or my tendency to *whiff* the ball for the long drive... What're we gonna do if we suck at golf and say your clubs are older than you are :D ...

Has anybody sent their deposit? Is there a deadline for it? I remember reading about it in the acceptance letter, but I thought they would send additional info on it.

2tall said:
Has anybody sent their deposit? Is there a deadline for it? I remember reading about it in the acceptance letter, but I thought they would send additional info on it.

They shoudlnt' require a deposit utnil the deadline for changing shcools has ended which is June 1st I believe for AMCAS.

Since you've said that...I'm not sending a dime until JUNE 1ST!

civic, have you been to europe before or will this be the first time you've visited?

2tall said:
civic, have you been to europe before or will this be the first time you've visited?

This will be the first time I go solo to Europe.
Last time was with family and I got a chance to see Switzerland, Germany, France, and Austria.

I'm going on thsi tour from London to Athens in 23 days. Extending the stay a bit in both stopping points and so my total trip is gonna be 27 days. Excited and kind of scared at the same time. I'm not big on such long trips away from the comforts of America :D ...

so i went to amarillo on monday and there was snow on the ground -- i first thought it was cotton because it was 45 degrees in lubbock, and didn't realize the 100 miles north to amarillo meant a 12 degree difference - it was 32 degrees in amarillo. they have 12 inches of snow right now!:eek:

so, apparently west texas can have some pretty crazy winter weather. i woke up today in lubbock and was greeted with snow on the ground. i mention this because when i moved here last year from virginia, i left a lot of my winter sweaters back east. i thought i had left the erratic weather of the east coast for dry, hot west texas. my advice: bring the winter wardrobe with ya!

i'm going to el paso at the end of the month and hoping to get in some mountain biking, so hopefully the weather will be much warmer. praying for no more snow. :p :luck:

Hey wait so who all is goign to Spring Training now? I just e-mailed Paul to RSVP. Are any of you thinking about not playing in the golf tourney (like me) ? I'm so bad I don't think the frustration of playing that day would be a good first impression :p

Members don't see this ad :)
civic4982 said:
Hey wait so who all is goign to Spring Training now? I just e-mailed Paul to RSVP. Are any of you thinking about not playing in the golf tourney (like me) ? I'm so bad I don't think the frustration of playing that day would be a good first impression :p

civic- eh, i rsvp'ed to the golf tourney, if nothing else just to meet some classmates and to have a good time. beyond putting i have no golf experience, so clearly i'm not going with the intention of being competitive. i wouldn't NOT go just 'cause you suck, b/c i have a feeling that few of us were on the golf team in school.

have fun in europe! :)

civic4982 said:

Vinh, Bring your clubs. I played last year and it was a lot of fun. Granted I had only played 6 times prior to this one. So I sucked it up big time. There will be people of all skill levels. I had a second year play with me that had never ever played. It's a best ball scramble on a four man team so don't worry about not being very good. I only recall my team using my ball 2 or 3 times. The plus side is is that the food is free and so are the drinks. That includes beer if you don't mind pounding a few early in the morning.

In regards to the the $100 deposit, make sure you pay it by the deadline. If not you'll lose your spot. This is extremely cheap compared to any out of state school.

SH

does anyone know if texas tech lets you hold your place for a year???it just recently hit me that i won't get the chance to explore more of the world and my other interests for awhile..and i would really like to take a year off...i've already shot them an e-mail but i'm being impatient and was wondering if anyone knew?!?

=)) said:
does anyone know if texas tech lets you hold your place for a year???it just recently hit me that i won't get the chance to explore more of the world and my other interests for awhile..and i would really like to take a year off...i've already shot them an e-mail but i'm being impatient and was wondering if anyone knew?!?
I think they will if you give them enough notice. A friend of mine waited til the last minute to decide his last yr and was told he would have to re-aply (which he did and will be in your class this yr).

theringworm said:
The plus side is is that the food is free and so are the drinks. That includes beer if you don't mind pounding a few early in the morning.
Wow, you make drinking sound so cool ;)

Current students...Are white coat sizes consistent with those of men's suits?

What about the sleeve length? I'm tall and I would hate for the sleeves to be five inches above my wrist.

2tall said:
Current students...Are white coat sizes consistent with those of men's suits?

What about the sleeve length? I'm tall and I would hate for the sleeves to be five inches above my wrist.

I assumed it was the same as men's suit sizes... anyone know any different? If so then I just screwed up and have to call them.

civic4982 said:
I assumed it was the same as men's suit sizes... anyone know any different? If so then I just screwed up and have to call them.
It seems like they just had a bunch on a rack and let us try them on.

Well, it seems this year we're required to give our sizes beforehand. How does yours fit?

2tall said:
Well, it seems this year we're required to give our sizes beforehand. How does yours fit?
We were asked to send in sizes last yr too. I just looked at mine. It says XL-RG and fits ok. The sleaves and overall length are a bit short and the girth is huge. I will probably have it tailored by 3rd yr.

Hey y'all,

I was wondering if anyone knew how soon I should get the whole apartment lease thing done. I have no idea since I haven't had to do this during college.

I'm planning on going to Lubbock right after graduation to get that done (Mid. June). Is that late/early/just right? :)

Thanks!!

Helen

hjt said:
Hey y'all,

I was wondering if anyone knew how soon I should get the whole apartment lease thing done. I have no idea since I haven't had to do this during college.

I'm planning on going to Lubbock right after graduation to get that done (Mid. June). Is that late/early/just right? :)

Thanks!!

Helen

I'mma do it at Spring Training.

civic4982 said:
I'mma do it at Spring Training.

Hey, have fun at spring training! Now, I'm now itching to go, but I can't find the time or the money to fly. It's too late to get any reasonable price on tix.

Anyhow, I guess for apt, I'll just either be calling up the places or waiting till June to get that settled.

:) Helen

page 8 guys? i haven't checked the site in awhile and it was hella hard to find our thread!

anyway, who's going to the dinner at caprock winery on friday? i'm psyched to finally meet some fellow c/o '09ers! sorry you can't make it, helen. :(

if the weather holds through the weekend, it should be sunny and 70s for spring training. :)

I was in Lubbock last weekend visiting some of my MS2 friends. It was a blast. Makes me wish i never transferred, but I think it was a good thing, cuz I prolly would have failed out of second year if i stayed in Lubbock (the Tech undergrad is very distracting and the MS2 class are a bunch of slackers). Anyways just letting u guys know that Tech is awesome school. Take it from someone who has seen other med schools.

also i want to say that a freind of mine that matched into general surgery at harvard from tech last year just changed from gen surgery into interventional radiology at harvard. He did his rotations at El paso, so for all u guys worried about where to go, it really doenst matter.

later

I heard winery so, no need for dinner :D ... nothing like drinking on an empty stomach...

anyways, I'll see ya'll there. I just flew back from California last night.

amy2003uva said:
page 8 guys? i haven't checked the site in awhile and it was hella hard to find our thread!

anyway, who's going to the dinner at caprock winery on friday? i'm psyched to finally meet some fellow c/o '09ers! sorry you can't make it, helen. :(

if the weather holds through the weekend, it should be sunny and 70s for spring training. :)

...and by friday, i mean next friday. see you guys then. :D

by the by...and pardon my french...does you name stand for too much information ho?

thanks 2tall!
no it's basically my first name which is a very popular name in Japan.
It doesn't mean the same thing it does here...
2tall said:
by the by...and pardon my french...does you name stand for too much information ho?

Hey all, I'm a fourth year at TTU who matched peds Lubbock (along with 5 other TTU classmates).

Congrats to all of you, look forward to seeing you on the peds rotation. Have a great summer.

tmiho, sorry for the mix-up. what does your name mean in japanese?

etrain...thanks...please be kind when you're a senior resident. :)

2tall said:
BUMP to welcome tmiho! Congrats!

congrats tmiho! :D

yo, just four more months till classes start. yikes! :eek:

amy2003uva said:
congrats tmiho! :D

yo, just four more months till classes start. yikes! :eek:

Congrats to tmiho too :).

So, finally 90% decided on apt. It's probably gonna be a 1BR at Bentwood APT. I hope that's a pretty decent place. :luck:

yup, it's nice getting those paperwork done for TTUHSC and anticipating starting the adventure in August. :scared: but it'll be good ;) hehe.

Helen

thanks everyone!

that's ok 2tall, I get that a lot.

you guys know nay places that you can get a personal garage at? any apt. complexes I mean...

just got myself a new toy and want to stick it indoors during the cold season.

civic4982 said:
you guys know nay places that you can get a personal garage at? any apt. complexes I mean...

just got myself a new toy and want to stick it indoors during the cold season.
Rent a house. Really the best way to go for med IMHO. I'm also biased since I'm about to purchase 2 or 3 rental homes that I'll market towards med students and residents. Can be cheaper than apt and certainly more private when you're trying to study.

thackl said:
Rent a house. Really the best way to go for med IMHO. I'm also biased since I'm about to purchase 2 or 3 rental homes that I'll market towards med students and residents. Can be cheaper than apt and certainly more private when you're trying to study.

And of course...all of us here will get the SDN discount. ;)

Hey OUT of State Guys, I have a real tough decision on my hands...I'm a CA resident who matched at Texas Tech. I've just received a letter from the financial aid office that has awarded me 1,000 dollars that also states I qualify for in-state tuition all 4 years...Just wondering if any other OOS applicants got this? Very tough decision in the upcoming months...

We've got a diarist!!! How cool is that! :D :thumbup:

CharlieVN said:
Hey OUT of State Guys, I have a real tough decision on my hands...I'm a CA resident who matched at Texas Tech. I've just received a letter from the financial aid office that has awarded me 1,000 dollars that also states I qualify for in-state tuition all 4 years...Just wondering if any other OOS applicants got this? Very tough decision in the upcoming months...
There are a few in my class. One guy is from WA and got in-state tuition. The $1k was probably a TX grant. Most people who get threir info in early will get it. Sounds like a sweet deal :thumbup:

2tall said:
And of course...all of us here will get the SDN discount. ;)
Sounds good to me......

Hey guys!
Do you think that moving to Lubbock a week before orientation starts is enough time to get settled?
I'm married, so we have a lot of things to move and organize once we are there. But, I've never moved to a different town before- so I don't know how much time does one need to settle in.

Your comments will be very appreciated.

Dr.Isabella said:
Hey guys!
Do you think that moving to Lubbock a week before orientation starts is enough time to get settled?
I'm married, so we have a lot of things to move and organize once we are there. But, I've never moved to a different town before- so I don't know how much time does one need to settle in.

Your comments will be very appreciated.

Hi Isabella!
I moved to Lubbock with my boyfriend last summer, where we share a house. In all honesty, it took Rob & I nearly two weeks to "move in". I say two weeks because I think it would be pretty crummy if you had to work seven days and nights to move in, riiight before orientation. I am assuming that you have already found a house you're going to be living in? Anyway, it took us about two weeks to comfortably move in to where my furniture was in the proper rooms and there were plates in the cupboards. You're going to want to find your bearings around town, too, so you can find essentials like the grocery store, the campus, etc. You'll probably make great use of the Super WalMarts here, buying cleaning products and stuff to get your house live-in ready. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me!!! I am more than happy to help and I wish you luck in moving! We moved across the country in a rental truck so it was definitely an experience to remember. :laugh: :luck:

amy2003uva said:
Hi Isabella!
I moved to Lubbock with my boyfriend last summer, where we share a house. In all honesty, it took Rob & I nearly two weeks to "move in". I say two weeks because I think it would be pretty crummy if you had to work seven days and nights to move in, riiight before orientation. I am assuming that you have already found a house you're going to be living in? Anyway, it took us about two weeks to comfortably move in to where my furniture was in the proper rooms and there were plates in the cupboards. You're going to want to find your bearings around town, too, so you can find essentials like the grocery store, the campus, etc. You'll probably make great use of the Super WalMarts here, buying cleaning products and stuff to get your house live-in ready. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me!!! I am more than happy to help and I wish you luck in moving! We moved across the country in a rental truck so it was definitely an experience to remember. :laugh: :luck:

Hi Amy,
Yes, I've already found a place to live.
You are absolutely right, I will most likely need about two weeks to put everything in place the way I like it. I really don't wanna be tired before school starts, so I better get there early enough to have some time to relax before orientation.
I will make the pertinent arrangements with the appt complex.
Thank you so much for your reply!

Look forward to meeting you in the fall ;)