Textbook(s)/review books for intern year...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TeslaCoil

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anybody recommend a good succinct textbook or review book (or both) that doesn't weigh 50 lbs for intern year?

Members don't see this ad.

Pocket Medicine. New edition coming in August. Buy the inkling electronic version, not the printed book. Inkling is like pdf, just better (and way better than the Kindle version). ;)

If you want more, get the printed Washington Manual of Medical Therapeutics (comes with free Inkling ebook version). The surgical equivalent is good for a surgical internship.

For ICU, get Marino. There is really no better book to start with. Get the printed version; it comes with an uptodate inkling ebook. It will also make you a better anesthesiologist.

Get an iPad Mini 3, when it goes on sale (about this time of the year). Should be about 375 bucks for 128 GB, but you can carry and comfortably read an entire textbook library on it. It fits a standard white coat or scrubs pocket perfectly. It will serve you for years, just don't upgrade the iOS. I carry at least 25 books on my iPad, some of them as big as Barash's Clinical Anesthesia (just downloaded the April update for free).

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 users
I actually like MKSAP from ACP. It's basically the main review material used for the ABIM boards. As an anesthesiologist, you probably don't need to know the intricate details of diagnosing nephrotic vs nephritic syndrome, but it never hurts to have a strong IM background.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I actually like MKSAP from ACP. It's basically the main review material used for the ABIM boards. As an anesthesiologist, you probably don't need to know the intricate details of diagnosing nephrotic vs nephritic syndrome, but it never hurts to have a strong IM background.
+10. It's just crazy expensive. I can buy 3-4 Cecils for that money (inkling ebook included). And the electronic version, sold separately, is a joke.

Pocket Medicine. New edition coming in August. Buy the inkling electronic version, not the printed book. Inkling is like pdf, just better (and way better than the Kindle version). ;)

If you want more, get the printed Washington Manual of Medical Therapeutics (comes with free Inkling ebook version). The surgical equivalent is good for a surgical internship.

For ICU, get Marino. There is really no better book to start with. Get the printed version; it comes with an uptodate inkling ebook. It will also make you a better anesthesiologist.

Get an iPad Mini 3, when it goes on sale (about this time of the year). Should be about 375 bucks for 128 GB, but you can carry and comfortably read an entire textbook library on it. It fits a standard white coat or scrubs pocket perfectly. It will serve you for years, just don't upgrade the iOS. I carry at least 25 books on my iPad, some of them as big as Barash's Clinical Anesthesia (just downloaded the April update for free).

Why is the inkling version of pocket medicine better?

Ipad mini 4 on amazon is pretty cheap.

Why is the inkling version of pocket medicine better?

Ipad mini 4 on amazon is pretty cheap.
Because it's easier to read (the printed version has really small fonts), and doesn't take up extra space/weight. Plus inkling is searchable. Plus it can be accessed from a regular browser (and the books can be read from your online account on any PC), and has good apps for all platforms (and the books can be downloaded to your device for offline access). I have attached some screen captures.

A mini 4 with 128 GB and without LTE is 600 bucks. When the previous version goes on sale, you can find 128 GB (even with LTE) at $300-400. Like here. Or here. You just have to watch slickdeals (you can create an alert).

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    181.1 KB · Views: 71
  • Capture2.PNG
    Capture2.PNG
    252.2 KB · Views: 72
  • Capture3.PNG
    Capture3.PNG
    265.9 KB · Views: 70
Because it's easier to read (the printed version has really small fonts), and doesn't take up extra space/weight. Plus inkling is searchable. Plus it can be accessed from a regular browser (and the books can be read from your online account on any PC), and has good apps for all platforms (and the books can be downloaded to your device for offline access). I have attached some screen captures.

A mini 4 with 128 GB and without LTE is 600 bucks. When the previous version goes on sale, you can find 128 GB (even with LTE) at $300-400. Like here. Or here. You just have to watch slickdeals (you can create an alert).

Is inkling just the kindle version on amazon? I don't see an option for inkling.

FFP spot on. Our program gave us regular iPads, and they're just way, way too big. I actually never use mine, although I do have inkling for marino texts and it's very useful. Our program gave us eBooks and full texts, but I'd prefer to have everything through Inkling now. I find it much easier to navigate through eBooks on it.

I'd almost buy myself a mini and use inkling ebooks on my mini, but alas resident salary + too cheap ;)

Is inkling just the kindle version on amazon? I don't see an option for inkling.
Many printed medical books come with free expertconsult/studentconsult ebooks included (code and instructions on the inside cover). Those are all inkling. A few come with separate inkling edition, such as Pocket Medicine.

In the former case, I recommend buying the printed book, and downloading the free ebook. In the rare latter occasion, I recommend buying the inkling ebook, directly from expertconsult.com. Except for text-heavy books (e.g. Evidence-Based Practice of Critical Care which is an unbeatable $23 now, or Marik's Evidence-Based Critical Care), or the few same as print books, I strongly recommend against buying medical books in Kindle edition (unless there is no Inkling version on expertconsult.com).

There are inkling apps for all major mobile platforms, including for in-browser visualization on the PC/Mac (see my screenshot above).

Just buy the printed Marino ICU book, for example. The inkling version is automatically included with the book. It's actually mentioned in the book description.
Traditionally available as a printed textbook, the print version now comes with a completely revamped digital experience, powered by Inkling. Viewable through a browser on PC and Mac or as a download to your iOS tablet or smartphone, the digital version includes:
  • The complete text with optimized navigation
  • A powerful, index-based search function
  • All referenced content is linked throughout for instant access
  • Regular literature and commentary updates integrated into the text
  • The ability to share notes with friends and colleagues

For the Washington Manual, you can see the reference to the free ebook on the printed version's cover ("Activate your ebook"). And again, in the description:
Now with the print edition, enjoy the bundled interactive eBook edition, which can be downloaded to your tablet and smartphone or accessed online and includes features like:
  • Complete content with enhanced navigation
  • Powerful search tools and smart navigation cross-links that pull results from content in the book, your notes, and even the web
  • Cross-linked pages, references, and more for easy navigation
  • Highlighting tool for easier reference of key content throughout the text
  • Ability to take and share notes with friends and colleagues
  • Quick reference tabbing to save your favorite content for future use

P.S. I prefer reading printed books, but nothing beats having the best of both worlds (print + free Inkling from expertconsult/studentconsult.com on iPad mini).

I can't stand reading on my 8" tablet. Just bought a new 10". Agree with inkling, pretty good platform. Although, most of my books are pdf.

Anesthesia and Coexisting disease. Great book for foundation of physiology and pathology relating to anesthesia. A lot of the information has application towards intern year as well. Pretty easy reading too.

Anesthesia and Coexisting disease. Great book for foundation of physiology and pathology relating to anesthesia. A lot of the information has application towards intern year as well. Pretty easy reading too.
Another one with free inkling ebook included with the printed version.

Ta-da:

Attachments

• Capture4.PNG
    Capture4.PNG
    335.9 KB · Views: 46
Wait until you start. You might find that residents in your program pass around pdf versions of anything you need.

Wait until you start. You might find that residents in your program pass around pdf versions of anything you need.
In the legal realm, if your school/hospital has Springerlink, you can download a lot of Springer books in pdf format, for free. I don't know about any other publisher who does that.

You can also download many textbooks in PDF from ClinicalKey if your institution has access to it.

Many printed medical books come with free expertconsult/studentconsult ebooks included (code and instructions on the inside cover). Those are all inkling. A few come with separate inkling edition, such as Pocket Medicine.

In the former case, I recommend buying the printed book, and downloading the free ebook. In the rare latter occasion, I recommend buying the inkling ebook, directly from expertconsult.com. Except for text-heavy books (e.g. Evidence-Based Practice of Critical Care which is an unbeatable $23 now, or Marik's Evidence-Based Critical Care), or the few same as print books, I strongly recommend against buying medical books in Kindle edition (unless there is no Inkling version on expertconsult.com).

There are inkling apps for all major mobile platforms, including for in-browser visualization on the PC/Mac (see my screenshot above).

Just buy the printed Marino ICU book, for example. The inkling version is automatically included with the book. It's actually mentioned in the book description.

For the Washington Manual, you can see the reference to the free ebook on the printed version's cover ("Activate your ebook"). And again, in the description:

P.S. I prefer reading printed books, but nothing beats having the best of both worlds (print + free Inkling from expertconsult/studentconsult.com on iPad mini).

Thanks for the info!

Is the cheaper handbook adequate or should I buy the actual textbook?