TFA, master's in education, community college classes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

truestrength

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Good evening,

I'll be graduating from one of the HPY Ivy League schools this month and will be serving as a high school chemistry as part of Teach For America in the San Francisco Bay Area (where I'll be able to live at home, commute, and save money).

I'm majoring in art history and have a 3.2 sGPA which, I understand, is not nearly competitive for M.D. schools. I also got a 25 MCAT and didn't retake it because (1) couldn't afford to and (2) had to use subsequent time to work and support my financially struggling family. Anyway, here's my question: I'd like to take science classes (i.e. anatomy, physiology, microbio, etc.) at a local community college while working full-time as a chemistry teacher with TFA. On Tue nights, there'll be a four-hour credentialing class I'll have to attend in order to stay in TFA, so that doesn't leave much room for much else (I'll likely be teaching both regular and AP chemistry so lesson planning will take up a lot of time). Community college is what I'm opting for because I can afford the ~$250/class as opposed to the $1,000/class at the UCs or CSUs (which, I understand, will be considered more seriously/more competitive/whatever). The community college classes are the best that I can do, where I am, with what I have financially (I'll be helping my parents significantly). How do y'all think about this? (BTW, I'm really, really against the idea of paying $1,000 for one course that I may or may not get an A in...that's the thing). The summer between years 1 and 2 of TFA, I'm also going to be spending money on a prep course to improve my MCAT score (self-studying the first time around didn't go so well).

Also, if I stay for a third year with TFA, they'll pay for a Master's degree in education. If I plan to go to medical school (and work sort of on the sidelines as an education advocate for low income, immigrant, and minority students interested in pursuing careers in the sciences/health professions), will this be relevant? Will it make me more competitive as an applicant or not?

OK thanks and much love! 😛
 
The bottom line: You are not going to have time to take community classes while being a first-year teacher with credentialing classes.

If you choose to get your Master's, you are definitely going to not have that much time in your 2nd year either to take additional classes at CC. That being said, you are going to be a lot better at lesson planning/time management your 2nd year, so taking classes is FEASIBLE, although I can't recommend it.

Do your classes at CC during your summer breaks.
 
Don't know if getting a maters in teaching would really be that helpful in showing med school you are serious about medicine since that has little relevance expect for if you want to pursue professorship (I'm still not sure on this). You should never underestimate your work schedule; I had to give up a job because of that so better to not make a similar mistake as mine. School jobs start early and end late; I'd get your feet wet and wait for the right call.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
OP, I don't know you but I agree with the past posters that you should not underestimate how time consuming and difficult it can be to be a teacher who is just starting out, especially in a low-performing district, like the ones that TFA services.

I would not count on taking any science classes during the school year, especially during your first year teaching and also while you're getting your master's in education. I don't mean to get sanctimonious, but I think that as someone who is going to be a teacher in a low-performing district, your first priority is to the students you serve. It is known that rookie teachers need time to figure out what is most effective in the classroom. It's just not right to try to juggle that with taking your prerequisites because I have a feeling that that would probably come at the expense of the children it is your responsibility to educate. If you're going to do TFA, you are going to have to put the kids first. Otherwise, I don't think you should do TFA at all.

Like the first poster said, I would recommend you do your science classes over the summer if you decide to take the TFA route. That's when you'll have time to focus on them and do well.

Don't know if getting a maters in teaching would really be that helpful in showing med school you are serious about medicine since that has little relevance expect for if you want to pursue professorship (I'm still not sure on this).
A master's of teaching is not the type of degree that helps one become a professor, other than maybe in a college of education. However, professors generally possess doctoral degrees in their respective fields.

Schoolteachers (primary or secondary school) generally possess a master's of teaching or a master's of education. A master's in education is a bit more broad than a master's of teaching because it can help a teacher branch out into educational administration as well, e.g. becoming a principal or a superintendent.
 
Last edited:
Ok - I'll give my two cent. I did a masters via TFA during my first year. Totally do-able. Keep in mind that you aren't attending just 4 hour on Tuesdays - you are also required to do course work "how do you feel blah blah went... How did you implement cultural awareness....."

However many of the masters in education classes can overlap with TFA required classes. I believe we had to take a few extra on top of TFA classes - not many.

I also have lots of tips how to make money on the side and get a house for half off if you are interested - PM me. I am joined 2011. I'm anticipating to get through med school with minimal loans (hopefully none - worst case 30k).

But remember - you gotta really really manage your time well.
 
I did TFA and although I didn't take courses while I taught I definitely could have. If you're determined you'll be alright. It'll be tough but you got it
 
I just finished my two-year commitment with TFA... my advice is to see what your placement school and situation is like before you make any decisions. Some corps members will end up at high-performing charter schools, others at the most public of public schools. I ended up at a very public school and the amount of work I needed to do to maintain a successful, well-ordered classroom was incredible. I would not make any plans about being able to handle courses until you spend some time in your placement school and have the chance to identify all of the work you will need to do. Additionally, every TFA region has different requirements that you have to fulfill based on the state's requirements for teaching credentials, so keep that in mind when making plans for this year.

In my second year of teaching, I attempted to study for the MCAT. After a few weeks of studying, I decided to post-pone the MCAT until this year because I realized that although I probably could find a way to juggle both, it would not have been fair to my students. You will have a choice as a teacher to put everything you have into your classroom and your students, or not. I sincerely hope you choose the former. I did and although it has put me a couple of years behind in my journey to medical school, it was worth it and I would not change the way I went about things. Don't rush the process and enjoy your time as a teacher! It was the most difficult two years of my life, but also the best and I look back on them very fondly (still talk to my students everyday).

Good luck to you! And if you have any TFA-related questions, feel free to PM me.