Thank you email

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dochoov

Intercalating Death Disk
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it OK to send a thank you email to my interviewer(s), or should it be a typed or handwritten letter? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Is it OK to send a thank you email to my interviewer(s), or should it be a typed or handwritten letter? Thanks!

I would send a typed or handwritten letter. It feels nicer when I see a personal note in my mailbox.

E-mail is okay for quick inquires or small updates. But as far as interviews go, I think an actual physical letter would be best. It's more courteous and respectful.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think email is appropriate only if your interviewer invited you to communicate with her, like feel free to get in touch with me if you have any more questions. Since email is such an intimate and easy form of communication, it makes people feel like they have to respond. If you weren't invited to communicate with them in the first place, don't put them in the position of feeling obligatd to respond. A snail mailed thank you note conveys your gratitude, without making them feel like they now need to engage in some sort of dialogue....

I've been doing it. I don't think e-mail is more intimate than a letter, it's faster (you might catch him/her before he/she writes the evaluation), and it's a generally accepted form of communication.

Do one better. Send both. An email is good because it's instantaneous, you know it'll get there, and it's easy to read. Your card might not ever get there, might be days before it gets there, but it's also a nice touch to send one.

hmm, well as a student interviewer, I can't say I care one way or another... or even that you send one at all.

then again, I'm not the overly formal type who would care about such things...

I have also been using email. Faster, and it is often the preffered way to communicate. I doubt most interviewers care.

Almost half my interviewers, when asked for a card w/ address have just given me their email addresses.