Thank-You Gifts for LOR Writers

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IHaveLab

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What kind of thank-you gifts did you guys give to your LOR writers (esp. professors)? I've gotten suggestions like a box of chocolates or a potted plant, but neither of those really seems right.

I like the idea of gift cards (Starbucks, Blockbuster, Amazon, etc) , but then the recipient knows exactly how much you spent, which I'd prefer to avoid.

Members don't see this ad.

IHaveLab said:
What kind of thank-you gifts did you guys give to your LOR writers (esp. professors)? I've gotten suggestions like a box of chocolates or a potted plant, but neither of those really seems right.

I like the idea of gift cards (Starbucks, Blockbuster, Amazon, etc) , but then the recipient knows exactly how much you spent, which I'd prefer to avoid.

At some schools, profs (strictly speaking) aren't allowed to accept gifts from students. It would be a nice gesture, but you might want to be careful with it.

There is no rule saying you have to buy them something. Why don't you just try and write a very thoughtful thank you note?

Members don't see this ad :)
DarkFark said:
At some schools, profs (strictly speaking) aren't allowed to accept gifts from students. It would be a nice gesture, but you might want to be careful with it.

Even if there are no rules against it, I think it might be awkward. Writing recs is part of the job of a prof, and I think they might feel uncomfortable accepting gifts just for doing their job. I think a nice Thank You Note would be more appropriate.

Also, remember that profs often write 50 or so of these recs every year and are rarely thanked by note/gift...I gave Thank yous soon after they turned my recs in, and most said it was refreshing to actually see a Thank You.

ChocolateKiss said:
Even if there are no rules against it, I think it might be awkward. Writing recs is part of the job of a prof, and I think they might feel uncomfortable accepting gifts just for doing their job. I think a nice Thank You Note would be more appropriate.

Also, remember that profs often write 50 or so of these recs every year and are rarely thanked by note/gift...I gave Thank yous soon after they turned my recs in, and most said it was refreshing to actually see a Thank You.

I agree with ChocolateKiss....I wrote all my profs a thank you note, and more than one replied that it was very nice of me to do so, because many students don't do it. So I would avoid any awkwardness when giving a gift, just write a good thank you note.

Go with the thank you note and thank them in person. I think it's most important to let them you know you appreciate the time and energy they've spent on it. The gift/money issue could generate awkwardness.

i remember my parents used to always give me a box of cookies to give to my teachers when i was little around christmas time

a good note should work

I bought one of my favorite books for each of them. The Giving Tree by Shel Silverstien. I wrote a personal note inside the front cover instead of sending a thank you note, and then I delivered the book in (plain manilla envelope) personally.

I would like to note that I know all of the profs who wrote me letters very well. I have their home/cell numbers and know where they live.

I wrote my profs thank you notes when they submitted the letters and then wrote them again in the spring when I got into school to say "hey I got into school, couldn't have done it without you.. blah blah".

I've knitted each of my people something, usually nice scarves or hats. But then again, I do know them pretty personally.

I gave them all head.

Twice.

Even the women.

lap dance. Plus, you have to tell them about this present before they write your letter. Gender is irrelavent.

Its_MurDAH said:
I gave them all head.

Twice.

Even the women.

damn... i should have thought of that... now why'd i have to waste the money on godiva?

no, but seriously, it also depend on how close you are with the writer. at my school, advisors and PIs are pretty much mentors, so we're all really comfortable with giving them decent gifts. if not starbucks card then, chocolates or wine or something.

I wrote them all thank you notes and then also kept them updated on the process so they knew when I got in.

As a grad student, you really get to know your letter writers personally and are usually on a first name basis. I got mine each a bottle of wine, and they offered to share when they were done with work for the day. I turned them down (I have a commute) but they didn't seem to feel awkward about it at all. Just depends on how well you know them!

I'm getting wine for my PI, my undergrad mentor and a couple of the other recommendors. They have all gotten thank you emails within 15 seconds of agreeing to write a recommendation, and most have gotten in person thank yous. My choir director got a big bear hug, cause that's how I roll. Depends on how well you know them and what fits your personality. Just PLEASE do something!

edit: They're getting wine because I got accepted. If I was wasn't, I would have gotten a bottle of scotch for myself to help with the process of re-planning my life.