"thank you" gifts for LOR's

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nightowl

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
any ideas on what to give professors that write LOR's? :confused: I'm kind of at a loss, I have four people to buy for, and don't want to spend $20+ per person. any ideas, anyone???

Members don't see this ad.

fruit basket?

I'm getting one from a professor who works in entomology, so I might just send him a box of insects :D

Jk...

A nice Thank You card should be sufficient. If anything buy them a bookstore gift card. Pretty much all scholarly people read.

Members don't see this ad :)
I sent one a card w/ a starbucks gift card in it. i sent an office where i shadowed a box of cookies from cheryl & co.

A sincere thank you card is probably enough - if you've ever received a really nice thank you card you know how much it can mean to someone to get one.

Yeah, I'm writing thank you notes tonight. Also a note to my friend's father, who helped me get a job. I think this is sufficient. Actually I'd feel sort of weird giving people gifts for writing me letters, I think.

i bought my phys professor a fabulous pair of peacock blue lacoste socks and a lacoste crocodile key ring. is that inappropriate? :) i bought another one (a female) a small red bag from longchamp. it was a little expensive, but not terrible. i'm still working on gifts for my other people... (and i applied LAST YEAR!)

Can't go wrong with a box of fine chocolates. Otherwise a sincere thank-you card is perfect.

agreed that a card is defnately enough; i just went a bit more all out for people who really went out of their way for me.

you could always make them something

I got 2 free movie passes for my orgo prof <he was 26 yrs old>
A $25 amazon.com gift certificate for my physics prof, which is a good gift since they can be emailed
gift certificates are pretty good