Thank You notes/cards...handwritten vs. e-mail?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pete27

Medical Student
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
As the interview season is underway, I was wondering if I should handwrite or e-mail thank you notes to the interviewers? I was leaning toward emailing as it would open the door for two-way communication. Furthermore, you could almost guarantee that the thank you e-mail would get to the attending or whoever interviewed you. But I can see how a handwritten note would be more formal and personal; however, I would fear it getting lost in the mail or not getting to the attending in a timely fashion.

What is everyone's opinion? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

As the interview season is underway, I was wondering if I should handwrite or e-mail thank you notes to the interviewers? I was leaning toward emailing as it would open the door for two-way communication. Furthermore, you could almost guarantee that the thank you e-mail would get to the attending or whoever interviewed you. But I can see how a handwritten note would be more formal and personal; however, I would fear it getting lost in the mail or not getting to the attending in a timely fashion.

What is everyone's opinion? Thanks!

I wrote mainly handwritten notes last year for the above bolded reasons. Not a bad idea for going the email route for opening up a line of communication...then again it is pretty easy to delete an email that doesn't necessitate a response. That being said, I don't think all the effort in thank you notes makes one damn bit of a difference for matching.... they're just simply common courtesy for their time and effort in interviewing you.

Hand written is more personable...and email is kind of "tacky" in my opinion. In the few instances I've been presented with kind of information during my Business training, they always said hand-written.

Just my 2 cents.

Members don't see this ad :)
I guess here's the view of one program.

So, my fellow classmate wanted us to take an active role in the interview process this year. In doing so, we got talking to our wonderful PC. The issue of post interview thank-you's came about.

Our PC said: post interview thank-you cards/notes don't really matter. S/he doesn't feel that it makes any difference in the outcome.
However, we all agreed that it is common practice for applicants to do so. In terms of specifically what to send--> almost anything is kosher. Our PC prefers e-mail (so do the rest of us). Thank you cards may not get to the person whom you intend (depending on how you address it).

One thing I do tell applicants is that around ranking time, it may be best to send out e-mails/cards indicating your interest level. There are many fine programs and excellent medical students out there. It's important that they be paired up as they wish.

Overall, I wouldn't pull out my hair over this issue. Do what you think is best and based on your judgement of the person you're communicating with. The stronger the interest you have in a program would most likely mean that you spend more thought on the note...

Hope that helps and GL!

Last edited:
Thank you notes written on the back of a $100 bill are always appreciated. I’ll accept thank you’s written on playoff tickets as well. ;)

Thank you notes written on the back of a $100 bill are always appreciated. I’ll accept thank you’s written on playoff tickets as well. ;)

Can do on the $100 bills. Playoff tickets however, will be up for negotiation if its the NFL playoffs, BCS Bowl series, or March Madness.

I prefer emails

For me, thank you cards tend to mixed in with stacks of things I'd rather not deal with (insurance approvals, letters from attorneys offices asking for medical records, etc)

Also, I actually find email to be more personable. Hand-writing takes time to do, so the actual messages tend to be banal and trite (although the effort is appreciated). If someone sends an email, the time they would have spent bugging their spouse to find out where they left their stamps can actually be put into the message

Overall, though, none of it particularly makes a difference, but it can nudge you in the right direction