The 2011-2012 Underdog Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm not saying he/she has the best chances and maybe that's what the poster I quoted should have said. Instead it was some long drawn out post about gold **** and so forth. There are nicer ways to talk to people. FYI, I interviewed in March and April and people in my groups with lower stats did get in.

Members don't see this ad.

Trust me when I say that if I was financially able to apply to 27 schools, I'd be calling myself a gold-s***er too!
Gold-Bullion-icon.png

Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted to KYCOM (Stats: 3.44 and 21M)!!
So excited!
Congrats...Other stuff in your application must have been stellar because it is hard to hear people got accepted with this low mcat...After all, you show that mcat is not everything. Once again-Congrats.

Thanks guys!

I believe it was my commitment to practicing primary care in E Ky which i have shown through volunteering in rural areas many times. As well, i have a strong upward trend of a 4.0 for the past year which were all upper level chemistry courses to show them i can handle the course load in med school. So excited!!!

Good luck to everyone else still applying this cycle!

Thanks guys!

I believe it was my commitment to practicing primary care in E Ky which i have shown through volunteering in rural areas many times. As well, i have a strong upward trend of a 4.0 for the past year which were all upper level chemistry courses to show them i can handle the course load in med school. So excited!!!

Good luck to everyone else still applying this cycle!

Congrats! I have to admit, you're the first one I know who has been accepted with a 21 MCAT. But clearly your upward trend GPA and volunteering experience shined on your application. Good for you! :)

I know someone last year that was accepted with a 21 MCAT and he is doing very well. Some schools don't value the test while others do.

Last edited:
22 is the lowest non-URM MCAT score I know of who was accepted, but they had a high gpa and passed the test off as a fluke and offered to retake (they weren't asked to).

It's seriously freaking unreal that I"m even writing this (I keep thinking that I misheard and the person was calling about something else) but...I GOT AN INTERVIEW AT LMU-DCOM.

Stats:
2.66 sci
3.00 nonsci (might be a tiny smidge higher because of a 3 unit class I just got an A in)
MCAT: 28S . 26R

LOTS of clinical experience/ec

...I have no idea wth is gonna happen but i'm just ecstatic I got this far. Gluck to everyone else! :) And keep me in your thoughts, pls...need all the prayers/good vibes/well wishes I can get at this poing!

I think I'm a big underdog, maybe y'all can let me know....
I have a B.S. degree in Exercise Science and a D.C. degree and one year of full time experience as a Chiropractor. My sGPA 3.3. MCAT n/a, taking it on Jan. 28th. Only applied to one school, LECOM-FLA, I'm a Florida resident. Received a letter from LECOM on Jan. 9th stating they are reviewing my information and I am still awaiting to here from them. So there's my situation.

I know someone last year that was accepted with a 21 MCAT and he is doing very well. Some schools don't value the test while others do.

It could just be their applicant pool isn't full of people with high MCAT scores. After all, their average is pretty low at 24.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's seriously freaking unreal that I"m even writing this (I keep thinking that I misheard and the person was calling about something else) but...I GOT AN INTERVIEW AT LMU-DCOM.

Stats:
2.66 sci
3.00 nonsci (might be a tiny smidge higher because of a 3 unit class I just got an A in)
MCAT: 28S . 26R

LOTS of clinical experience/ec

...I have no idea wth is gonna happen but i'm just ecstatic I got this far. Gluck to everyone else! :) And keep me in your thoughts, pls...need all the prayers/good vibes/well wishes I can get at this poing!

It happened because you deserve it!! Way to go!! Though it would be a shame not to see you at Western if I get in next year, I'm seriously crossing my fingers and wishing you a whole lot of luck!! I bet you $20 you'll get accepted. Deal? :)

It happened because you deserve it!! Way to go!! Though it would be a shame not to see you at Western if I get in next year, I'm seriously crossing my fingers and wishing you a whole lot of luck!! I bet you $20 you'll get accepted. Deal? :)

lol my dumb typos should show how much I was freaking out. lol.
Thanks so so so much. Lol. DEAL! :)

I just found this thread and think that it is amazing!

I am probably considered an underdog with my 3.1 sgpa and 28p mcat. I was complete at the 3 schools (COMP, AZCOM, & SOMA) I applied to in december but have not heard anything from them yet. All of these acceptances still give me hope!

I am probably considered an underdog with my 3.1 sgpa and 28p mcat. I was complete at the 3 schools (COMP, AZCOM, & SOMA) I applied to in december but have not heard anything from them yet. All of these acceptances still give me hope!

Did you only apply to these three?

Wouldn't consider you an underdog, but you did apply later. I still think you will get interviews.

It could just be their applicant pool isn't full of people with high MCAT scores. After all, their average is pretty low at 24.

Actually at the interview they didn't really bring it up with him, they told him because his bio was fine they didn't care. Got accepted off the wait list day before white coat ceremony.

Can add to my name:

Interviewed at Touro Neveda

Accepted at KCOM! (pending seat availability)

interview at VCOM! So excited to be getting so many invites! There is hope out there to anyone with a below avg mcat or gpa!

Can add to my name:

Interviewed at Touro Neveda

Accepted at KCOM! (pending seat availability)

Eric how was your interview at touro nevada? did you get accepted?
and if so, where would you be going?

Eric how was your interview at touro nevada? did you get accepted?
and if so, where would you be going?

Hey Laiba, I was put on the waitlist at Touro NV, however will be withdrawing now that I am accepted at KCOM. Even if a seat doesn't open and I have to use my guaranteed spot for next years class, I MUCH prefered KCOM to Touro NV, based on my interview experiences.

Rebecca, is that VCOM Carolinas Campus or Virginia?

Also, will you be attending it or plan on attending KYCOM?

Yes I applied to these three only. I plan on applying to more schools in the next cycle if I do not get in this cycle. Congrats on your acceptance btw!

Thanks :). Best of luck to you this cycle, but if you do have to reapply, be sure to send in your app June 1st and apply to a bunch of schools!

I think I'm a big underdog, maybe y'all can let me know....
I have a B.S. degree in Exercise Science and a D.C. degree and one year of full time experience as a Chiropractor. My sGPA 3.3. MCAT n/a, taking it on Jan. 28th. Only applied to one school, LECOM-FLA, I'm a Florida resident. Received a letter from LECOM on Jan. 9th stating they are reviewing my information and I am still awaiting to here from them. So there's my situation.
Honestly, your best bet would be to retake a years worth of undergrad science courses and rock the MCAT.

If you are locked on applying DO, those repeat courses will bump your gpa up and you will be much more competitive. It sucks working a 9 hour day and taking 3 hours of classes a night, but you have to do whatever you need to in order to shine.

You guys can add me to this list to. I got accepted into Western Comp Lebanon. I have an interview coming up at SOMA. My stats are sGPA 3.23, cGPA 3.34, MCAT: 26O. I also applied kinda late, so there is hope to all who applied late. Secondaries were completed on Dec. 7th.

My cum/sci gpa went up to 3.34/3.46 and I have a 29S on mcat (post-bac gpa is 3.92 right now). Interviewed at NYCOM last week and waiting to hear back, but haven't been invited for an interview to UMDNJ or PCOM... should I be worried? I've been complete since 10/27.

I have the same stats as you (except my post-bacc of 34 science credits is at a 4.0) and a 25R MCAT. I got 4 interviews and submitted by primary on 8/29. How late did you apply?

My cum/sci gpa went up to 3.34/3.46 and I have a 29S on mcat (post-bac gpa is 3.92 right now). Interviewed at NYCOM last week and waiting to hear back, but haven't been invited for an interview to UMDNJ or PCOM... should I be worried? I've been complete since 10/27.

My stats are really close to yours... I decided to wait and apply this next upcoming cycle. I am just wondering, when did you apply this year?

I want to offer some words of encouragement for those that may not have the highest MCAT or a lower GPA. I took the MCAT 4 times and didn't do great but still had 2 interviews-1 wait listed and 1 acceptance. The main advice I can give to underdogs is:

1. APPLY EARLY!!! I cannot stress this enough. While I got accepted in October, some of my friends have similar stats but waited until Nov/Dec and now are being told that they aren't competitive enough or the class is full. I applied in July and did the secondaries by late Aug.

2. Be WELL-ROUNDED---Do remarkable research, be a great leader, do unique volunteering activities, have excellent clinical experience to SHOW THEM you deserve to be there. You need something to overshadow your low GPA/low MCAT by emphasizing another positive in your application. I had tons of research, leadership roles, and a unique medical hands-on experience. My best friend had awesome grades and pretty much no extracurriculars and she's strugging to get an acceptance now. Med schools don't want robots with perfect MCAT/GPA, they want well-rounded applicants.

3. Don't give up. I know it sounds cliche but it's true. While studying for the MCAT and throughout my college career, I had moments when I wanted to do something easier and just get away from the stress. If you TRULY want to be a doctor, then believe in yourself and believe that it's your fate. My personal statements and essays came from my heart and genuinely showed my passion for medicine. My interviewers even said they were impressed with my well-rounded experiences and commented that I'm an "extremely passionate person who impressive". You have to fight for your dreams and goals and remember getting into medical school is just step 1 in the journey. Surviving classes, board exams, rotations, and residency is going to be much harder, this is just the start.

Well anyways, that's my advice and I hope it helps my fellow underdogs---Never give up and believe in the power of your dreams. :)

^^ That was great. I just slapped my head because at the end of my last interview earlier this week when they asked me to sell myself, I should have totally said those things! Hopefully they read it on my app...

I have the same stats as you (except my post-bacc of 34 science credits is at a 4.0) and a 25R MCAT. I got 4 interviews and submitted by primary on 8/29. How late did you apply?

secondaries sent in 10/27

secondaries sent in 10/27
Interesting, that was around a week after my timeframe. Who knows? There's more to your app than GPA and MCAT, which I think definitely helped me out. I'd consider myself very well-rounded: two years in a sales career, trilingual, photography business, lived in S America for 9 years, leadership experience in school and career, volunteer with refugee placement agency, and 1000+ hours of working in the ED as a scribe. I did have 4 booboo misdemeanors a few years ago, though.

UMDNJ and PCOM are very regionally biased, and as a NW resident I didn't even bother. Are you in-state on any of them? Did you apply to Touro NY? Are there red flags on your application? Were your LORs bad or even mediocre? Did you write a conceited or boring PS?

In the end, there's a LOT of subjectivity in the way adcoms make their decisions. Who really knows why they picked others and not us? I've sent each of my schools at least a few emails and a couple of calls since October checking up on my status. I'd hope you have been, too. The best you can do is stay in contact and be pro-active. :thumbup:

Interesting, that was around a week after my timeframe. Who knows? There's more to your app than GPA and MCAT, which I think definitely helped me out. I'd consider myself very well-rounded: two years in a sales career, trilingual, photography business, lived in S America for 9 years, leadership experience in school and career, volunteer with refugee placement agency, and 1000+ hours of working in the ED as a scribe. I did have 4 booboo misdemeanors a few years ago, though.

UMDNJ and PCOM are very regionally biased, and as a NW resident I didn't even bother. Are you in-state on any of them? Did you apply to Touro NY? Are there red flags on your application? Were your LORs bad or even mediocre? Did you write a conceited or boring PS?

In the end, there's a LOT of subjectivity in the way adcoms make their decisions. Who really knows why they picked others and not us? I've sent each of my schools at least a few emails and a couple of calls since October checking up on my status. I'd hope you have been, too. The best you can do is stay in contact and be pro-active. :thumbup:

Do you just email the main number? I feel like phone calls don't go registered/noted anywhere -- it's just some receptionist that answers. False? What do you ask when you call them?

As an update, I was high-waitlisted at Touro-NV and waitlisted at Touro-NYC. All my interviews are through now. We'll see what happens!

Whats your #1 BroManDude?

Its a toss up between Nevada and NYC. I'd gladly take either at this point, although I think I'd keep my and my family's sanity longer if I stayed close in Nevada. I'm learning that keeping friends and family close is going to be very important on this long ride.

Hey all, just dropping in to see if you all are alive and still surviving through the imminent senioritis some of you may be experiencing. I hope you are having a good last semester!

Mine is busy but going really well. No new news on the med school front though.

Also, a friendly reminder from your neighborhood DJack:
If you are waitlisted somewhere and are not going there, let them know! It will help all of us on the waitlist that desire a seat as well as the school prepare for next year.

Have a good one,
DJack

I am a little late to this thread, but add me to the list! 3.40 cgpa, 3.09 sgpa, 27Q. I am currently wait listed at AZCOM and OSUCOM.

just wanted to bump this thread as it is way motivating for many. congrats to everyone who got accepted. Maybe you got your number one, maybe you didn't, but you are still going to med school. I hope to see you guys down the road.

And to those waitlisted, I genuinely hope you guys hear good news soon. Good luck.

just wanted to bump this thread as it is way motivating for many. congrats to everyone who got accepted. Maybe you got your number one, maybe you didn't, but you are still going to med school. I hope to see you guys down the road.

And to those waitlisted, I genuinely hope you guys hear good news soon. Good luck.

Very pleasant bump

Sent from my iPhone using SDN Mobile app

Thanks!!

Accepted to both LMU-DCOM and WVSOM! :) Now just to decide where I want to be.

Good luck to those of you still interviewing or waiting to hear back!