The 2011-2012 Underdog Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just wanted to update this. I got an II for PCOM! So excited!! My top choice school!

Members don't see this ad :)
Updated the front page.

I did ok this semester-- I was able to raise my cGPA from 3.37 to 3.40 and more importantly, raise my sGPA from a 3.03 to a 3.14. Since my junior year, my cGPA has been nearly a 3.7. Too bad my freshman year kills me :(

Hopefully some of us on the waitlist and on hold will hear back from schools soon! Best of luck to you all and have a very happy holidays.

Updated the front page.

I did ok this semester-- I was able to raise my cGPA from 3.37 to 3.40 and more importantly, raise my sGPA from a 3.03 to a 3.14. Since my junior year, my cGPA has been nearly a 3.7. Too bad my freshman year kills me :(

Hopefully some of us on the waitlist and on hold will hear back from schools soon! Best of luck to you all and have a very happy holidays.

A 3.4 is pretty decent, keep plugging away at the sGPA and it will be a 3.2+ by next june. A 3.4 cGPA/3.1 sGPA is within 1 std deviation of the average DO matriculant which is similar to the 10th percentile using the MSAR (1std dev is the 15th percentile). If you can get that MCAT up a few points you'll be setup pretty well for next season. :luck:

Hey DJack, I am accepted to Western-Pomona as well :).

By the way, you are making some excellent progress on your GPA. I'm rooting for you this cycle. Hope you hear good news soon. Good luck:thumbup:

DJack, can you add ATSU-SOMA and Touro-NY to my interviews. Also, an acceptance from ATSU-SOMA :)

I was waitlisted at LMU-DCOM..i will be taking my name off the list however..hope someone here gets it

Made the couple quick changes to the front. Looks good everyone. Thanks for all the support! Keeping my fingers crossed for all of you in need as well :thumbup:

Made the couple quick changes to the front. Looks good everyone. Thanks for all the support! Keeping my fingers crossed for all of you in need as well :thumbup:

Hopefully your updated grades will be enough to push you into an acceptance, good luck man, I'm pulling for you.

UPDATED SPREADSHEET

the list keeps getting better

I love how well this thread has been doing. Congrats to everyone who has acceptances:thumbup:. To those who are still waiting, don't worry you still have time, just be persistent!

kinda late to this thread

27O mcat 3.29 sGPA 3.44 cGPA

interview at KYCOM, upcoming ones at WCU-COM, LMU-DCOM, PCOM-GA
accepted at KYCOM

Members don't see this ad :)
Man, these Jewish schools are loving me! Touro CA interview last month; Touro NV and Touro NY interviews in January! You can also update my grades after this semester: 3.45 sGPA, 3.24 cGPA. PNWU is still pending after my interview, I just faxed them my new grades and they'll hopefully have a final decision soon!

29R/ 3.35/3.26

Interviewed at LECOM-B, Touro-NV, NSU, Scheduled interviews at SOMA, Touro-CA

Got into NSU
Waitlisted at LECOM-B
High Waitlisted at Touro NV

:)

GL to all other underdogs!

I would focus more on getting a high score on the MCAT and not worrying about retaking those two classes just yet. Focus on getting A's in all your classes from now on. None of this "B or better" bullsh~t. A's or GTFO. After you complete your course work, and take the MCAT, then you can worry about retaking classes for GPA boosts. You may not even need to retake.

Hey everyone,
I have been reading different posts on Student Doctor for over a year now and finally decided to join!! It was a little intimidating at first but I am so glad this thread is here! Reading all of the posts really motivates me to keep following my dream! :)

Here is my info:
Junior in college
3.4cGPA
3.25sGPA
-I haven't taken the MCATs yet and probably won't till summer after my senior year.
-I play a division 1 sport with not a lot of time during the school year so I will have to start shadowing more and doing more EC this summer and the next.
Here's my pickle...
I got an A in Bio 2 and either an A- or A in Physics 1 (still waiting to find out grade). But I got a C in Bio 1 and C+ in Chem 1. I am really frustrated with these grades because I know I could have done better. Would you guys recommend retaking them at a CC? I am taking Chem 2 and physics 2 next semester and I really gonna try to get B or higher in them.

Thanks for you help in advance and I can't wait to keep reading everyone's stories!
Kate

The CC route would save money if you have extra time to spare say during the summer. But like DrWily said, if you do well on the MCAT and apply early you should be fine without retaking those courses.

I would focus more on getting a high score on the MCAT and not worrying about retaking those two classes just yet. Focus on getting A's in all your classes from now on. None of this "B or better" bullsh~t. A's or GTFO. After you complete your course work, and take the MCAT, then you can worry about retaking classes for GPA boosts. You may not even need to retake.

:thumbup::thumbup: :laugh:

Thank you both for the help!

Focus on getting A's in all your classes from now on. None of this "B or better" bullsh~t. A's or GTFO.

And that made me laugh! But okay I will definitely change my mindset to all A's.

Accepted NSU-COM! I need a beer and a cigar. For those of you still waiting to hear back from schools, keep your head up and fight hard!

accepted to VCOM! i cried when i got the news. never thought this would happen. keep the faith, friends. there's an acceptance out there with your name on it :)

OK.....as a fellow underdog not accepted anywhere yet I need some advice:
I'm current deferred at WVSOM
KYCOM said they need my fall grades because I don't have enough upper level biology credits to receive a secondary...and once they receive them I will receive a secondary
LMU- said I'm on hold and will be reviewed later
A.T Still, PCOM, MSU, NSU,OUCOM and UMDNJ I'm still waiting to hear on
I just sent in my secondary to PNWU because im out of the region
The question is I will receive my fall grades and I will have an A in a one credit 300 level biology course....but in genetics I will either have a B- or C...my first C ever....considering I will be getting all A's in the rest of my courses (which are non science)
Should I update AACOMAS with a B- or C in genetics....my first upper level biology course?
Would it be easier just to send KYCOM my transcript to get the secondary?
With a B- or C my science GPA would drop to a 3.36 or something like that from a 3.4?
Thoughts? Am I screwed if I don't send in my fall grades?
Am I screwed if I do because they will see a poor grade in my first upper level biology course?
Advice is highly appreciated.
Thanks
What year are you? If it's your first upper division science class isn't it a bit early to be applying?

Also, No you aren't screwed.. Just do better next quarter/semester and make it up. I got C's in a few upper div classes, but I made a strong push the last 5 quarters worth of work.

Best of luck

By the way, when you update AACOMAS, I believe you also have to send your transcript to verify, don't you? If so, you're better off waiting til grades come out before updating.

25L MCAT (8V8P9B), 3.22 cGPA 2.95sGPA, barely sent out my secondaries right before Christmas, I know this is really late...but do I have any chance at all? Been working in the education field for 2 years after I graduated.

i sent out my secondaries for DO schools by the middle of november. you might be screwed if one of your schools uses rolling admissions but you should be ok if you get them in ASAP... as in by the 2nd

25L MCAT (8V8P9B), 3.22 cGPA 2.95sGPA, barely sent out my secondaries right before Christmas, I know this is really late...but do I have any chance at all? Been working in the education field for 2 years after I graduated.
At this point, I would say no.

That sGPA is gonna kill you. Combined with a lower MCAT score, it'll be tough to get an interview. You need to re-take some classes that you struggled in and take advantage of the AACOMAS retake policy.

seeing as your GPA is on the lower side, you may want to consider retaking the MCAT to even it out.

It is pretty late in the season to just be completing secondaries but I have seen people get several interviews when submitting late. To be on the safe side though I would anticipate applying again next year and sign up for a science class or two this Spring to bring up your sGPA (and if you get in this cycle you can always drop the classes) or start studying for your MCAT again to show you can handle the sciences. I think you are at a disadvantage if your sGPA or cGPA is below a 3.0.

Did a few more updates to the front page.

AACOMAS got my updated transcript... About how long does it take for them to update my application with my fall grades? Anyone know?

Did a few more updates to the front page.

AACOMAS got my updated transcript... About how long does it take for them to update my application with my fall grades? Anyone know?

I sent mine around the same time you did. I called them and they said it typically takes a week. Then, you wait till for your grades to be released (on a Tues or so)

At 3:41pm on January 10th, 2012, hours after touching down in Las Vegas, while studying and preparing for an interview tomorrow at Touro-NV, I received a call from PNWU and got the good news :0)

So happy! This will be the only application season I will ever have to go through! No more undergrad classes ever again! Clean slate! AhhhhHH!!!!!!!

At 3:41pm on January 10th, 2012, hours after touching down in Las Vegas, while studying and preparing for an interview tomorrow at Touro-NV, I received a call from PNWU and got the good news :0)

So happy! This will be the only application season I will ever have to go through! No more undergrad classes ever again! Clean slate! AhhhhHH!!!!!!!

Congrats! What an awesome way to start off the new year!

Congrats man!!

Grats :thumbup:

Boom!

Big shout out to all the underdogs in here.. U guys are truly my heroes and sometimes all that keeps me going��

I've been following this thread plenty but only now decided to write something bout my own very under-dogging stats.
I submitted and completed my aacomas verification process on jan 5th 2012. Yes a few days ago. I had to wait for my grades from fall 2011 in order to ensure I made certain cutoffs with GPA. I am doing an informal post bacc at a top 30 university. From te 13 credits completed so far I have 4.0. This spring semester I have 12 more credits to complete
My cGPA On aacomas is 3.13 and sGPA of 3.01 (see why I waited to submit)

In addition to that, the odds continue...
I haven't taken the Mcat yet. I am taking it on January 28th with tentative release dates on feb 28th.
I have applied to 27 DO schools and so far I have gotten secondaries from 13 of them.
I know it's a long shot with the timing etc, but I'm hopeful. I will keep u guys up to date.
Good luck everyone..

Last edited:
Big shout out to all the underdogs in here.. U guys are truly my heroes and sometimes all that keeps me going��

I've been following this thread plenty but only now decided to write something bout my own very under-dogging stats.
I submitted and completed my aacomas verification process on jan 5th 2012. Yes a few days ago. I had to wait for my grades from fall 2011 in order to ensure I made certain cutoffs with GPA. I am doing an informal post bacc at a top 30 university. From te 13 credits completed so far I have 4.0. This spring semester I have 12 more credits to complete

I haven't taken the Mcat yet. I am taking it on January 28th with tentative release dates on feb 28th.
I have applied to 27 DO schools and so far I have gotten secondaries from 13 of them.
I know it's a long shot with the timing etc, but I'm hopeful. I will keep u guys up to date.
Good luck everyone..

Good luck, man. I'm sure you know that it would've been wiser to apply next cycle, but if you pull it off, major props to you! It's possible.

Good luck everyone..

You must be able to s*** gold and have huevos of galvanized steel, applying in January to 27 schools with no MCAT. I'm sure you don't need reminding because you've been following this for a while, but you know your chances are pushing nil for this season, right? And I'm sure you skipped the schools that don't accept January MCATs. And of course you know that your grades won't be verified for 3-6 weeks, at which point it'll take another couple of weeks to receive secondaries from schools hopefully still have any seats left. Then you're going to try and become complete in March or April, but by then all the interview dates have passed. I just want to give you real advice you can use here and I don't mean to come off as harsh, but you need to do your research and get good advice if you want to win at the admissions game.

I hope you kill the MCAT in a couple of weeks and set yourself up for success by applying on day one in June. Good luck!

Good luck everyone..
troll. zero chance this story is true.

Thanks for the reply guys and girls. It has been verified and submitted as complete on the 5th January. I didn't have to wait six weeks because I had sent in most of my grades except the uPdated grades from last fall prior so I guess that helped.

Yes, I only applied to those that clearly said yes to january test scores BUT I must add being a resident of Florida, I also took a chance at NSU even though they did not clearly state that.
I have been offered supplemental by them and have confirmed with admissions that they will consider the score before paying the 50 extra.

I know it wasn't the most ideal thing to apply this cycle, but I have strong reasons for trying.

I am hopeful as I see how it goes..

Thanks for the reply guys and girls. It has been verified and submitted as complete on the 5th January. I didn't have to wait six weeks because I had sent in most of my grades except the uPdated grades from last fall prior so I guess that helped.

Yes, I only applied to those that clearly said yes to january test scores BUT I must add being a resident of Florida, I also took a chance at NSU even though they did not clearly state that.
I have been offered supplemental by them and have confirmed with admissions that they will consider the score before paying the 50 extra.

I know it wasn't the most ideal thing to apply this cycle, but I have strong reasons for trying.

I am hopeful as I see how it goes..

Well good luck to you. :luck: If you do not get in this cycle do not be discouraged as it is probably a timing issue and definitely reapply the first day the cycle opens next year as the earlier the better especially if you are an underdog.

Good luck everyone..

As what the posts before me have said, you're at a disadvantage this late in the cycle. However, if you have the money to submit those secondaries, then it's worth a shot no matter how slim the chances are. With that said, however, many of us underdogs are able to get acceptances because we applied strategically...we sent in our apps super early in the cycle for higher chances. I would say you're on the right track in working on your stats. Great job with post-bacc so far. Kill the mcat and the rest of your post-bacc courses, and you have good chance next cycle if you have to reapply. The good news is that 2013 app opens in about 5 months :laugh:

You must be able to s*** gold and have huevos of galvanized steel, applying in January to 27 schools with no MCAT. I'm sure you don't need reminding because you've been following this for a while, but you know your chances are pushing nil for this season, right? And I'm sure you skipped the schools that don't accept January MCATs. And of course you know that your grades won't be verified for 3-6 weeks, at which point it'll take another couple of weeks to receive secondaries from schools hopefully still have any seats left. Then you're going to try and become complete in March or April, but by then all the interview dates have passed. I just want to give you real advice you can use here and I don't mean to come off as harsh, but you need to do your research and get good advice if you want to win at the admissions game.

I hope you kill the MCAT in a couple of weeks and set yourself up for success by applying on day one in June. Good luck!

I did this and had 2 interviews last cycle- wait listed at both. Its not impossible.

I did this and had 2 interviews last cycle- wait listed at both. Its not impossible.

But you didn't get accepted and the goal is to matriculate. Fact of the matter is, applying this late is more than likely applying for waitlist spots, which happened to you. It's not impossible, as evidenced by some people around here, but its highy unlikely.

If you have the cash though, who cares? Apply now. Weirder sh~t has happened.