The 2015 US & Canadian Residency Placements for Atlantic Bridge

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Why would you want to delay USMLE, doing so jeopardizes your U.S. Match
the most common reason is unpreparedness.

match lists don't show us how many students delayed the USMLE. i wish to know this info to have a more realistic sense of the match success.

Members don't see this ad.

the most common reason is unpreparedness.

match lists don't show us how many students delayed the USMLE. i wish to know this info to have a more realistic sense of the match success.

At RCSI, it is highly unusual for an American to delay the USMLE. Of the small subset of students who delay, they are almost exclusively Canadians in the 5 or 6 year program.

Reactions: 1 users
Hmm makes sense. A lot of us who go abroad for med school are already viewed as "not cut out" for med in the first place. I understand certainly there are people who fit that but a lot of us are just as well qualified but there aren't enough seats. I wouldn't want anyone to assume I'm a weak student by delaying or rewriting USMLE so I would encourage you to be well organized from day 1 and incorporate study time as needed.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hmm makes sense. A lot of us who go abroad for med school are already viewed as "not cut out" for med in the first place. I understand certainly there are people who fit that but a lot of us are just as well qualified but there aren't enough seats. I wouldn't want anyone to assume I'm a weak student by delaying or rewriting USMLE so I would encourage you to be well organized from day 1 and incorporate study time as needed.

Very true. I've read that one of the strongest predictors of USMLE score is MCAT score. People who I've known that struggle with the USMLE are self admittedly "bad test takers". For those who fall into that category, they will struggle with the USMLE, similarly to problems they may have faced during the MCAT. Both are high pressure, gruelling standardized tests requiring skills like memory, reasoning and a lot of hard work so its easy to see the parallels and anticipate the challenges.

Again: if non-EU you WILL NEVER obtain a spot in Ireland and UK or any other part of Europe. They are very strict about this to protect the employment rights of Europeans. If you are EU but not residing there for the past 3 years, you are bottom of the group for selection of intern spot so you will end up in a small remote location like in family med.

It's not "never" for non-EU. About 20-30 non-EU students get internship positions in Ireland each year. They are considered last and spots are given out based on your class rank. Our advisors tell us to simply not consider it an option considering there are hundreds of non-EU students studying medicine in Ireland, so the odds are poor and it shouldn't really be a back-up plan.

Reactions: 1 user
Again: if non-EU you WILL NEVER obtain a spot in Ireland and UK or any other part of Europe. They are very strict about this to protect the employment rights of Europeans. If you are EU but not residing there for the past 3 years, you are bottom of the group for selection of intern spot so you will end up in a small remote location like in family med.

Reasons people delay the USMLE:
- Personal or family reasons; people get sick and life happens, sometimes with very terrible timing. That is a very legitimate reason for putting off the USMLE. If that causes people to take a year out, as long as they score well on the USMLE in the end, there's plenty of opportunities int eh personal statement or the ERAS application to explain what the situation was at the time. Shouldn't jeapordize the application in the end.
- Not feeling ready. A fail on the USMLE stays on your record for 5 years and is a huge red flag on residency applications, much much more than a year out. People who are not passing practice tests choose to delay the USMLE to prevent a fail, although at that point they are between a rock and a hard place because its not easy to pass step 1 during clinicals. This is the biggest reason that older med students always give the advice to put your all into the step 1 summer. Don't go home to your family, stay wherever your school is and study 12 hours a day until the exam is over.

Reactions: 1 user