The 5/27/08 MCAT Club

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrMattOglesby

Grand Master
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I wanted to start a thread for those taking the MCAT on May 27, 2008.
I wanted to see if we could get discussions going on how to schedule a game plan to tackle this test in three months time.

I have Kaplan review books and I am going to have to use them cause I dont have anything else.

I will eventually have a regimen on my own personal plan of attack and stick it out here so I can hear your criticisms =]

come on guys, lets shoot for 30+ scores!!!!

-matt

Members don't see this ad.

You got a 38 and you don't THINK you're retaking?????? Dude, someone needs to smack you!

LOL...thanks :). I am going for MSTP (yes, I wanna be a mud phud), so a good score is a must for me :)

By the way, I am so proud of you 5/27ers! Some of you guys really brought up your score, so GREAT job!

With only 2.5 weeks of studying

PREDICTED SCORES
VR: -9
PS: -9
BS: -9
WS: -P

5/27 MCAT OFFICIAL SCORE
VR: -11
PS: -9
BS: -9
WS: -R

29R, I'm grateful and completely satisfied with that score and I'm not retaking!!!!!!!!!

Average AAMC - total average 25 (although i was feeling good and my last test #7 was a 27)

Predicted Scores: last night i predicted PS 7 VR 9 BS 11

OFFICIAL Score: PS 9 VR 9 BS 10 WSR for a total of 28R!!!!!!!

I A AM STOKED! I will never be taking this f*ckng test again! It is exactly what i needed to be very competetive for DO schools and competitive enough to apply for MD schools!

I got an R on the writing!? wtf! i totally bombed the first essay but felt my 2nd essay was awesome.

PS - WOW i hate physics and so happy i never have to look at a stupid equation ever again. I predicted a 7 just because i suck at to so much. I got a 9 but i honestly remember nothing about it.

VR - 9 is one of the highest scores on VR I got on the practice tests. In fact I only got that once, but it felt good on test day

BS - felt really good and predicted an 11...not too far off from a 10.

Great scores for everyone else and a huge congradulations! i know we all worked our butts off!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I scored 10 points below my average practice. I don't know what happened. I guess the nerves took over. That was my second time taking it too..I'm seriously considering changing my career choice. I invested half a year studying for this test. I'm signed up for taking it the 3rd time but having scored below 20 in both MCATs, is it even worth it?

I scored 10 points below my average practice. I don't know what happened. I guess the nerves took over. That was my second time taking it too..I'm seriously considering changing my career choice. I invested half a year studying for this test. I'm signed up for taking it the 3rd time but having scored below 20 in both MCATs, is it even worth it?

how many practice exams did you take? what kind?

how long did you prepare each time you took the mcat ?

if you tried really hard both times, you might wanna reconsider md/do. unless you wouldn't mind going to the carribean if you've got a good gpa and good EC's and stuff.

you can still do pa and other things though, talk to a prehealth adviser or career counselor?

how many practice exams did you take? what kind?

how long did you prepare each time you took the mcat ?

if you tried really hard both times, you might wanna reconsider md/do. unless you wouldn't mind going to the carribean if you've got a good gpa and good EC's and stuff.

you can still do pa and other things though, talk to a prehealth adviser or career counselor?

I took the AAMC practice tests, all 7 of them. I'm usually scoring around 27s with verbal being my weakest. I don't know, I think its my nerves that took full control of me during the test. It was pretty bad, couldn't stay calm, million things running thru my mind, etc..

There is certainly another chance for you. I think you should try once more. In the May 23rd thread, there is someone who scored 27 in the first and second try, and came out with a 35 on the third try! Persistance pays off...

And since you already signed up, why not?

Thanks Permedico, although right now I'm mentally beaten and battered, I'm not gonna give up just yet.

i agree, if you were averaging 27's on aamc's then something must have gone wrong during your real tests.

it just happens to be ****ty luck that it happened both times :/ if you know you can do well, then i would say take it a third time and try to relax or be confident or what not. it seems you know the material, but there seems to be some random factor working against you :(

so i'm kind of confusedon reporting scores. it shows up on my AMCAS that they have my scores and have been loaded, so i think thats taken care of. but for AACOMAS, i have already submitted my app for verification....so do i send my MCAT scores to AACOMAS (how do you do that) or do i just send them to each individual school that i applied to???

Thanks Permedico, although right now I'm mentally beaten and battered, I'm not gonna give up just yet.

Bdubz - i'm sorry to hear about your score man. if this is your dream youve gotta stick with it tho. soon the MCAT will be a thing of the past and you will be enjoying your career as a great physician!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone, I've been hanging around for a long time but have been too lazy to post. Here are my stats.
VR:10
PS:12
BS:15
VR: L
-I was excited about the scores until I saw the verbal. Do you think that will hurt me applying to med schools? I really don't want to retake it for one stupid section.

did any of you think you bombed a section (and by bombed i mean BOMBED, none of this "i usually get 14's on this section and i totally bombed with a 12), and then done surprisingly better than expected? im a 6/13er and we're all crying Uncle on our PS section... 7 is my lucky number! ahaha.

and congrats everyone!! these scores are amazing!! good luck with the rest of the app process!!

I definitely thought I BOMBED physical and verbal and I got a 9 and 11 respectively!!! I went down a point from my usual physical and up a point on verbal... I can't figure out this whole "MCAT" thing.

Hey everyone, I've been hanging around for a long time but have been too lazy to post. Here are my stats.
-I was excited about the scores until I saw the verbal. Do you think that will hurt me applying to med schools? I really don't want to retake it for one stupid section.

You mean WS right? L is definitely pretty low. It may prevent you from getting into a top school.

I'm a 6/13-er, but I'm commenting anyway!

No, a 37 isn't going to hurt you. Sorry, but you might just have gotten a good score, and can no longer complain about much of anything. I think you should get yourself a drink or a cupcake, depending on which would make you happiest, and celebrate the fact that you're getting in to medical school.

Ryserr,

if AACOMAS is like the TMDSAS, you send it directly to that application service (rather than to each school) through the score reporting link on the MCAT scoring page.

even if i have already submitted for verification?

so i'm kind of confusedon reporting scores. it shows up on my AMCAS that they have my scores and have been loaded, so i think thats taken care of. but for AACOMAS, i have already submitted my app for verification....so do i send my MCAT scores to AACOMAS (how do you do that) or do i just send them to each individual school that i applied to???

I am not 100% sure but I believe you should send your new MCAT score to AACOMAS. To do that, login into the MCAT THx system. Near the bottom of the screen that shows your score, there will be a link for sending your score(s). You can designate the receiver to be AACOMAS. If AACOMAS is like AMCAS, then they should forward the MCAT score to the schools you have applied to. Can anyone confirm this?

Update: Ah, someone already answered your question. I agree with their answer

Last edited:
WOW! crazy scores guys and congrats to those who are done iwth the crazy beast! im a 5/31er and ive been checking this like crazy with you guys so congrats again and i hope to see some good stuff on mine too!

Average Practice Test Score
31 = 10/10/11

Actual Score
28 = 9/9/10/R

I was shooting for at least 10's in every section and a score greater than 30. But, I can't really retake the test since I don't have anymore time to study.

I'm kind of disappointed that I scored less than the average of medical school admits but I should still be able to sneak in somehow.

hey, guys, just got back from work. I'm really happy! I posted my score earlier at work in my excitement. I just made a MDapps profile for advice - I am thinking since I got a good mcat score (38) I was going to drop a few safeties and add some top reaches (like duke or harvard, etc.), the only catch is that my gpa is pretty low. I have some really good extracurrics (I think) and I think I can do well in the interview, so it seems that my gpa is the only thing holding me back. What do you guys think? Any particular schools I should add or drop?

Thanks!

I am not 100% sure but I believe you should send your new MCAT score to AACOMAS. To do that, login into the MCAT THx system. Near the bottom of the screen that shows your score, there will be a link for sending your score(s). You can designate the receiver to be AACOMAS. If AACOMAS is like AMCAS, then they should forward the MCAT score to the schools you have applied to. Can anyone confirm this?

Update: Ah, someone already answered your question. I agree with their answer

thanks for the info! I sent my scores to AACOMAS. YAY!

next question: for those of who you have filled out AMCAS already. for course works did you add courses you were planning on taking next year? I have done that, but then it warns me that I have some coures written down that don't have grades.... its okay to put planned courses right? or should I leave out cuz they wont be on my transcript?

Good job on those scores guys. I'm sure it's in no small part to how supportive and positive all of you are day in and day out. If you didn't reach your mark, do not give up. Really. Keep plugging away, and get 'er done.

yay!

thanks for the info! I sent my scores to AACOMAS. YAY!

next question: for those of who you have filled out AMCAS already. for course works did you add courses you were planning on taking next year? I have done that, but then it warns me that I have some coures written down that don't have grades.... its okay to put planned courses right? or should I leave out cuz they wont be on my transcript?

I put down a few of the courses I plan on taking next year (the ones I know for sure). Ignore the message, just be sure to check the box that says "current/future" and you should be fine. When they see the "current/future" box checked, the verifiers know why it is not on the transcript. Hope that helped and best of luck!!

I just left my grades blank, despite the big red AMCAS warning. I was verified and it's fine.

i got a 14 on BS, 12 on VR and an 8! on PS. Should I retake?? I usually get about a 12 on PS and i thought the test was completely different on this section from all of the other AAMC tests i took. i usually don't get a 14 on BS thou either. what should i do??

An 8 on PS isn't that bad. After all, most schools will look at your VR score, which is in the top percentile. A 34 will get you in.

Last edited by a moderator:
to the people who went up alot from their average aamc score...what type of prep course did you take? I took princeton review and did awful and I know 4 other people who were in my tpr class that also did poorly. Did you take Kaplan courses?

Practice/Predicted-
VR 11, PS 9, BS 10

Actual score- 25O
VR 9, PS 7, BS 9, O

I don't know what to do. I really can't retake it this summer I don't have the time to study. Do I even have a shot at MD at this point? Or wait until next year?

but will it get me into the schools i want to go to? im scared :(
BU
NYU
or UCSD?
Well, I'm no expert or anything but I don't think you need to take them over. Your other two scores are excellent. Your GPA is strong but not unbelievable , so I would recommend you also considering the unbelievable number of cali medical schools that you have such as UCI,UCD that I feel you have a really really good chance of getting interviews/acceptances. BU--> You have a great chance; just write good essays I've heard they are really important
NYU/UCSD--> This is more of a reach but I think if you really present yourself well you have a great chance!:)

These are just my $.02

to the people who went up alot from their average aamc score...what type of prep course did you take? I took princeton review and did awful and I know 4 other people who were in my tpr class that also did poorly. Did you take Kaplan courses?

I made a huge (in my opinion) jump from my practice scores, and I only studied with ExamKrackers. I actually signed up for the Princeton Review class and found them not to be helpful for me at all, so I only went to the first two or three.

my kaplan/aamc diags were ranging between a 30-34

actual score 33S!!!!!
VR -- 10, PS -- 11, BS -- 12

i'm soooooo excited!!

haven't had a chance to check up on everyone else, buy hope all of you guys did well!

I just want to let everyone know that I am gonna retake (despite having a decent score for DO programs) AND I'm looking to move to Miami, Florida within the next week!
*There's a good side to every situation*
:D

i can't fall asleep... yet again. congrats, and best of luck to you with your move and with your plans in medicine. maybe your score will go up after having had some time off. hope i can be as upbeat come monday :)

I don't think I'm retaking, but if there's one thing I could pass on to future retakers, it's this: don't panic if you think you did terrible on a section, because it can only mess you up on further sections.
:laugh: WTF would you even consider retaking for with a 38?

i can't fall asleep... yet again. congrats, and best of luck to you with your move and with your plans in medicine. maybe your score will go up after having had some time off. hope i can be as upbeat come monday :)

well the only thing that is allowing me to be so upbeat is that I scored well enough to get accepted to a DO program. Which means I can one day be called a physician :D
On this retake, I feel like I am going to go into the thing with a LOT less nervous energy cause I feel like I made the cut already. The reason for the retake would be to open up more options and, I must admit, to prove to myself that I can score higher in PS!

VR- 10
BS- 11
PS- 14
WS- Q

Overall- 35Q

I am happy with my score, so what next? Does anyone know how competitive this score really is? I say this because did anyone else notice how the MCAT scores in the 2009-2010 AMSAR book seem a little inflated? They have the national average at a 32, with top schools like Harvard, Washington, Duke, and Yale in the 37-38 range. What is that about?