The Best Osteopathic School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fastjoe

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
What DO school is the best? Why is that one the best? IS there a ranking system of DO schools? Where does CCOM, UNECOM, NOVA, PCOM and NYCOM fit?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey, Alright! I get to be the first to tell you...
YOURS IS A STUPID QUESTION!!!
Where do you want to go to school?
If you get in somewhere be happy and get to it.

Thanks for your rude reply. I actually got into PCOM,CCOM and UNECOM and have been invited to interview at NOVA and NYCOM and was wondering whether I should continue to interview. I was also wandering about the pros and cons to each of the schools and whether there is a ranking of schools. Most of the schools have very subtle differences and I am having trouble deciding. Thank you for your help. "There are never stupid questions just rude people with stupid answers."

Members don't see this ad :)
Would someone please respond to the question b/c I'd like to know as well!

hey alex: who's the stupid now? Let me see humm, humm oh! yeah, YOUUUUUUUUU.

------------------
siul

Fastjoe,
Having already been accepted to PCOM, CCOM, and UNECOM, you will find NYCOM far below their standards. Unless you are from NYC or Long Island and location is important, you have no need to attend that interview. Let's take a closer look:

PCOM and CCOM over NYCOM: Tradition (100 yrs vs. 25 yrs.), reputation, housing, overall quality of life (speak to first and second yr. NYCOMs and they will tell you that they wish they weren't even in med school, they dislike it so much); PCOM has better facilities; CCOM does not.

UNECOM over NYCOM: Class size, location, facilities (everything from lecture halls to OMM room to histology lab), more quality of life issues.

NYCOM has one thing going for it... the third and fourth year rotations. There are ample opportunities all over NY, NJ to do a wide variety of clerkships. Be that as it may, PCOM and CCOM have as good, if not better, opportunities. UNECOM, well, uh, um,... there's room for improvement.

So, your choices are down to PCOM (since it beats NYCOM and CCOM) and UNECOM. The problem, though is that comparing these two schools is like comparing apples to oranges. They are both excellent programs, but for very different reasons. If you resolve this issue, let me know because I have to make the same choice myself!!!

Good luck,
Glands

PS: I know too little about Nova to judge for or against

Check out U.S. News and World Report:

MSU-COM is ranked #9 amongst all medical schools including osteopathic and allopathic schools in primary care education.

No Problem, I'm full of rude replies, especially when someone asks D.O. students to rank the schools. Mine's best, No, mine...
And siulrc, I said the QUESTION was stupid. Youuuu jerk.

hey alex,

I'm actually going to be in San Antonio at the beginning of Dec. Maybe we could meet and you could tell me how stupid it is to ask questions about DO schools to the people who know the most about it(students)to my face. If you have any other comments maybe we could settle those also. Do me favor, unless you would like to meet when I'm in San Antonio next month, stop posting on my question. I don't want to look at your assanine statments and no one else does either. Let someone who knows something post information and instead of your verbarhea.

Sounds like a threat. You're gonna have to learn to control your temper, weasel. There are gonna be alot of students and faculty you can't stand and if you attack one of them, you are virtually guaranteed to be expelled from school.
I'm not in San Antonio anymore, I'm going to COMP and the commute is too far. It's too bad you can't take ribbing, develope a tough skin if you have no sense of humor.
As you can see your threats haven't stopped me from posting on 'your question'...
P.S. I'm shivering in my boots (gee I'd really hate to meet you, you're scary),

and...that's verarrhea (two r's)

and here's a little definition for you:

Main Entry: as?i?nine
Pronunciation: 'a-s&n-"In
Function: adjective
Etymology: Latin asininus, from asinus ass
Date: 15th century
1 : marked by inexcusable failure to exercise intelligence or sound judgment <an asinine excuse>
2 : of, relating to, or resembling an ass
synonym see SIMPLE
- as?i?nine?ly adverb
- as?i?nin?i?ty /"a-s&-'ni-n&-tE/ noun
from : http://www.britannica.com/bcom/dictionary/0,6621,,00.html

[This message has been edited by alexcc_ms (edited 11-10-2000).]

I am a student at Nova and I have been happy with my education. It is one of the "rising stars" of the osteopathic schools and recently won the AMSA - Wood award for innovative teaching. Other school like Baylor and Harvard have gotten the award in the past. Besides being in a great location, the facilities are all new and the environment is super-charged for learning because of all of the other programs on campus (physical therapy, optometry, occupational therapy, pharmacy, dental...). Furthermore, when I applied, I had reservations about whether or not I could compete for a good residency. I Have been receiving interviews from good programs in radiology and others from my school have gone on to the IVY's for other specialties. The same holds true for these individuals, myself, and you... In order to get into a top residency no matter where you go to school, the hard work and dedication start the first day of medical school. Good luck and consider Nova.

Hey Studentdoctor:

I am a PA practicing in CT surgery up in Delray Beach. I am planning on applying to NSUCOM ONLY, for Fall 2001. I obviously have a lot riding on this application. A friend of mine (who is a NSUCOM alumnus)and I toured the campus last week with Dr. Simpson. I was extremely impressed with what I saw.

I would really like the opportunity to email you directly to ask a few questions if you wouldn't mind. Please email me directly and let me know if that would be OK.

Thanx.

Chris in Coral Springs
[email protected]

Um, what does verbarhea or verarrhea, or however it's spelled mean?

------------------
--
KidT
[email protected]

Members don't see this ad :)
Verbal diarrhea.

can you tell me more about nova? I have heard some crazy stuff about the dean and having to sign all kinds of release forms so that the students will not speek out against the school. Is this partially true but out of context? I have read some discontent with the students who previously had him as a dean at Kansas City? Have you experienced anything?

Originally posted by studentdoctor:
I am a student at Nova and I have been happy with my education. It is one of the "rising stars" of the osteopathic schools and recently won the AMSA - Wood award for innovative teaching. Other school like Baylor and Harvard have gotten the award in the past. Besides being in a great location, the facilities are all new and the environment is super-charged for learning because of all of the other programs on campus (physical therapy, optometry, occupational therapy, pharmacy, dental...). Furthermore, when I applied, I had reservations about whether or not I could compete for a good residency. I Have been receiving interviews from good programs in radiology and others from my school have gone on to the IVY's for other specialties. The same holds true for these individuals, myself, and you... In order to get into a top residency no matter where you go to school, the hard work and dedication start the first day of medical school. Good luck and consider Nova.

Funny you say that about NYCOM...I work with a DO grad from there and she's great doc..

------------------
The grass isn't greener on the other side --- it's just different grass

[This message has been edited by NurseyK (edited 11-11-2000).]

"speak to first and second yr. NYCOMs and they will tell you that they wish they weren't even in med school, they dislike it so much"--previously posted by glands75.

The bizarre and entirely false remark above is a fair indication of how erroneous glands75's contribution to this matter is.

Most sensible students would consider MSUCOM and NYCOM over the majority of Ost. Med. Schools.

Vegeta,

I interviewed there last year and was accepted, but because of the overwhelming amount of student complaints and a price tag that the school refuses to assist with in the form of grants, I thought the better of it and reapplied to QUALITY schools this year. Just because the school costs a lot and is located on Long Island, doesn't mean it has a good program. They want your money... a true diploma producing machine!!! That's why they continue to expand their class size.

Think about it.

Glands

I go to CCOM. I interviewed at PCOM, NOVA, UNECOM and NYCOM. Here are the main differences:

1) PCOM and NYCOM have quite a few students, approximately 220-270 per class. Some feel, myself included, that this is way too many. Both schools have a lot of 3rd and 4th year clinical sites, some of which are at very good hospitals. Their main draw-backs are their class sizes I feel.

2)UNECOM has only 90 or so students. I really like the school very much. They have what seems to be an excellent curriculum and the students I remember from there were all nice people and pretty happy with things. The big down side to this school is the fact that you have to travel to many states for the third and fourth years. If they fixed this I think they might just have the best school.

3) Nova I thought was great, I just didn't love Florida enough to live there. Their facilities are nice, their class size is good, their third and fourth year rotation sites are pretty good as I remember from interviewing.

4)CCOM has about the same class size as NOVA (roughly 160-170). Pluses for CCOM are: 1. Chicago and the many hospitals we rotate through. 2. A new library (which is soo very desperately needed) which will be completed by May 2001. 3. a very good and dedicated basic science faculty. Minuses are: 1. a basic science curriculum that is overstuffed and a bit behind the times in terms of the format. Let me clarify this last point a bit: the content is entirely up to date and the professors are excellent. you will definately learn what you need to know. The format of the first two years however is too memorization based with not enough emphasis on thought process and medical reasoning. This is probably an accurate criticism of medical education in general in the USA (ie the first two years are viewed by many as essentially preparation for boards only); I have only attended CCOM and therefore have nothing with which to compare my experience to. I firmly believe however that the school could trim the number lecture hours per quarter by 10-15% and actually IMPROVE the quality of education.

That said, overall I am very satisfied with CCOM's basic science years. They prepared me very well for both COMLEX/USMLE and the clinical years.

Out of the schools mentioned (UNECOM, PCOM, NYCOM, NOVA) CCOM was my pick, and it probably still would be.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Johan Aasbo
MS III CCOM

John,
Nice summary of schools.
UNECOM has 115 students per class... not too big, not too small.

Just thought i would give some UNECOM info since it seems to be lacking in this discussion.

I am currently a first year at UNECOM and everything is going exactly as I imagined it up here. When it came time for me to decide, I choose between NOVA and UNECOM and choose UNECOM for various reasons:

1) class size - UNECOM is 115 and NOVA is at 200 I believe. I think this makes a world of a difference - you get to know all your classmates real well in a small class, your professors learn your name and call on you using your name here. During anatomy there were only 4 students/cadaver.

2) grading system - UNECOM is HP/P/F and NOVA is not - again I think this makes a world of a difference - there is no compettion at all here among classmates - where I was told during my interview in NOVA there is some. Everyone out here is always willing to help everyone else out.

3) facilities - true both of them are brand new and state of the art - but after visiting both I was more impressed up here. First of all the building here is more or less all for the medical students - where at NOVA it is a busy building for other health care professionals as well. The OMM lab here beats the one in NOVA by far (it relly beats most DO schools acttually) - it is one of the most beautiful OMM labs out there. The anatomy lab up here is very state of the art as well, located on the 2nd floor of the building with natural light from outside so you don't feel like you are in some creepy basement. The lecture hall is also a lot nicer and more intimate than at NOVA where you feel less intimidated to ask questions, I think the way the room is shaped aids in that.

While many people cite that UNECOM has a poor 3rd and 4th year program I don't find that to be the case. The 3rd year is a lot more solid now. The school has core clinical sites where you spend your entire 3rd year (such as one in Providece, RI, Allentown, PA, Philly, Cooperstown, NY, Toledo, OH, Dayton, OH, Newark, NY and others that I am forgetting) your 4th year you set it up just as you would at any medical school (DO or MD)during your electives. There are certain requirments (including doing a month of OMM during your fourth year at the school and a month of rual medicine here in Maine) but other than that your 4th year is pretty much up to you.

I hope this helps those of you looking into UNECOM - I picked it and haven't looked back, and in the end that is what you all have to do.

cheers

I am a senior at NYCOM and I can guarantee that the first 2 yrs are grueling. However, hit clinical rotations, and you appreciate it because you shine on rotations. However, PCOM is probably the strongest of all with NOVA and CCOM right behind it ( of the ones you listed). NYCOM is not without its problems. However, it does have strong clinical affiliates and an excellent reputation among NY hospitals and residency programs. The firtst and second year students arew miserable because of the work load and the unforgiving pace. I do not have any regrets considering the places I am interviewing. One of the most important consideration you should have is where you want to live for 4 yrs and what you want to practice. NYCOM students tend to go for specialties and surgery. ( Reagardless of what the administration says). It is a very "allopathically" oriented osteopathic school, especially 3rd and fourth year. Long Island is a bit obnoxious, but you can live in the city boroughs and commute. I have no regrets; it gave me an excellent education.

I'm a first year student at MSUCOM. I've enjoyed our program very much so far. E. Lansing is a great location for a medical school: lot's to do when you're not studying. So far medical school has been very well-balanced for much of my classmates and I.

A couple advantages our program has to offer: 1) national reputation of being affiliated with a Big Ten University, 2) only osteopathic medical school to have an allopathic, veterinary, and nursing program on the same campus (lots of like-minded students), 3) Michigan has either the most or second highest number of DOs in the US 4) there are many Osteopathic hospitals to do rotations in state-wide which are connected to the University (12), 4) the professors and administration are very student-oriented.

that's my two cents

------------------
Matt Flannigan
MSUCOM Class of 2004

siednbarb,

Dayton, OH is no longer a UNECOM affiliate.

Glands

Althought you can't rank osteopathic medical schools you can judge them based on their reputation. I interviewed and was accepted at AZCOM, OUCOM, WVSOM, TUCOM, UNECOM, PCOM, KCOM, and CCOM. I am still deciding on where to go but am definately leaning towards KCOM. By far KCOM has the best reputation of all osteopathic medical schools. I was also most impressed with their facilities and faculty. Althought it is in a small town the education is worth it.

KCOM Is by far the best school I have interview at. I was excepted at 7 DO schools so far and KCOM exceeded all the others by a long shot.

Originally posted by Akron, Ohio:
KCOM Is by far the best school I have interview at. I was excepted at 7 DO schools so far and KCOM exceeded all the others by a long shot.

Sorry Akron, Ohio,

I have read several of your post and need to tell you the correct spelling is Accepted, NOT Excepted. I thought it was just a typo the first time, but when I read it on 3 post, I knew I needed to correct you. I'm not trying to be picky, so I apologize if it seems that way.

Thanks for the correction, that's what happens when I don't have spell check around.