The Enigmatic 4th Year of HPSP

Started by GeoLeoX
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

GeoLeoX

Ancient
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey all,

I usually don't post questions, just give glib responses to others questions. This time, however, things are different.

I am a 4th year Army HPSP student. I will complete all the requirements for my degree two and a half months before my graduation date. I would prefer not to have to take classes or rotations during that time.

The quandry is the Army will only pay tuition for required classes and I will not have any more required classes to take. I was told that there is a 45 day grace period, but 2.5 months is clearly longer than that.

I was thinking that my only options are:

1. Take time off now in order to reschedule a required rotation at the end of the year.

2. Take a Leave of Absence at the end of the year.

3. Take an away rotation at the end of the year in an elective.

The question that I have is whether anyone has taken a LOA and what kind of grounds it was on. Otherwise, any advice that anyone could provide would be most helpful.

Geo
 
1 - do an easy but useful (radiology) away rotation in your next to last month in the town where you're going to be doing residency. Gives you a chance to scout things out, line-up an apartment, etc. You just have to make sure you don't goof off too much if you're working with your future colleagues.

or

2 - do an easy month at your own medical school, but take a month off before & after and have fun - it'll be the last true freedom from work & responsibility you'll have for a long time.
 
I had thought about option 1, but I have "used up" all my electives (that is, I have fulfilled all my school's elective requirements). I was told that if it is not a required course by the school that the HPSP won't pay. I think what I will be doing is a hybrid of the first and the second option - doing an away rotation (of a required course) at the end of the year near or at the hospital where I will be doing my residency.

Thanks!

G