The Fireside Chat: united MD & DO, or exclusively DO?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Would you prefer a united MD/DO or exclusive DO Fireside Chat?

• United MD & DO broadcast

Votes: 68 79.1%
  • Exclusive DO broadcast

Votes: 18 20.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Guero

2QT2Bcis Plaidapus
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
A few members from the c/o 2017, myself, and NickNaylor will soon be hosting a Fireside Chat (http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=989617), much like NickNaylor's original broadcasts below.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=968367
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=962611

We will be answering questions about our recent application experiences, new AMCAS changes, new MCAT changes, and anything else you'd like to know.

But as1212559 asked the question, Would you, the DO applicants, prefer to have your own broadcast, directed solely at DO schools and answered solely by DO matriculants? I thought it'd be easier to incorporate it all into one broadcast, but realize some of you may not have been aware it was even being hosted. We intend to have several matriculants, both MD and DO, on board to answer questions. However, if the majority of you prefer your own, I'll pass that torch on to my DO matriculant friends to provide you with your own. Otherwise, let's continue to bridge that MD-DO gap (especially since we're sharing residencies soon ;) ) and come together for a united broadcast.

Let the voting begin!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
A few members from the c/o 2017, myself, and NickNaylor will soon be hosting a Fireside Chat (http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=989617), much like NickNaylor's original broadcasts below.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=968367
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=962611

We will be answering questions about our recent application experiences, new AMCAS changes, new MCAT changes, and anything else you'd like to know.

But as1212559 asked the question, Would you, the DO applicants, prefer to have your own broadcast, directed solely at DO schools and answered solely by DO matriculants? I thought it'd be easier to incorporate it all into one broadcast, but realize some of you may not have been aware it was even being hosted. We intend to have several matriculants, both MD and DO on board to answer questions. However, if the consensus is that you prefer your own, I'll pass that torch on to my DO matriculant friends to provide you with your own. Otherwise, let's continue to bridge that MD-DO gap (especially since we're sharing residencies soon ;) ) and come together for a united broadcast.

Let the voting begin!

DO-MD together:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
A DO-only fireside chat can tackle DO specific career problems and issues in the AOA. So admittedly there are benefits to that. Though a joint DO-MD fireside would work too as MD issues are DO issues.

Perhaps we can have the best of both? Do a big united one, then do a smaller one that covers DO specific questions not covered in the original one.

Sent from my Galaxy S2

Perhaps we can have the best of both? Do a big united one, then do a smaller one that covers DO specific questions not covered in the original one.

Sent from my Galaxy S2

Agree with above. I don't think their are too many issues that are uniquely MD so I see no reason not to have a combined MD-DO broadcast. However, there are a number of issues unique to DO so it would be nice to have some set aside time to tackle them. This will make the MD-DO conversation more productive (and without information that doesn't pertain to our MD brethren) as well.

Survivor DO

Sent from my Galaxy S2

A separate but equal fireside? I approve. We could cover all the issues MD students have in addition to the distinctive questions DO students face. :smuggrin:

Seems like a good majority of you want the combined version, cool. I'll leave this up for its original length of 30 days and double check on the majority before we start planning. Thanks for voting everyone. I look forward to giving you all as much information as possible in the coming months.

Cheers,

G

Will you be able to edit in wood-crackling sounds? That'd really set the mood!

I voted for a combined MD-DO chat, Q/A, but I would be interested in hearing about DO specifics as well.

I actually know a spot on campus that has a phony fireplace. If I take part, I will sit in front of it assuming I won't disturb anyone who is studying nearby.

Both MD and DO, that way both medical professions get addressed equally on the same grounds.

Members don't see this ad :)
I actually know a spot on campus that has a phony fireplace. If I take part, I will sit in front of it assuming I won't disturb anyone who is studying nearby.

Here, I lit a fire for ambiance.

fireplace-main_full.jpg

Leave it to Mr Kenobi.
Oh, btw, I've really been enjoying Knights of the Old Republic. Fun game and interesting storyline.

I think a combined MD/DO chat would be great. Looking forward to participating. As Ravizzle said, a DO specific chat could be arranged at a future date if it's a popular enough idea.

Feel free to use this thread to ask questions that you'd like to have addressed in the chat, or go to the thread in pre-allo and ask questions there. When NickNaylor did his fireside chat I thought it was a great idea and I'm glad to see this being continued. Thanks Guero!

Oh, and here is the pre-allo thread if y'all wanna see what questions are being asked or ask some of your own. :D

I wish I would have had a fireside chat available like this just before last application cycle. It would have been very useful.

Can we also add a fireside chat for those of us interested in applying ND as well? ;)

I didn't know this was going to encompass Nick's. Do you need a DO, still?
:) Yup, Nick will be on board. Thanks for the offer, I would've loved to have you on board! But we're maxed out at the moment with two DOs and 4 MDs.

:) Yup, Nick will be on board. Thanks for the offer, I would've loved to have you on board! But we're maxed out at the moment with two DOs and 4 MDs.

Who are they, Guero?

Status
Not open for further replies.