anxietypeaker

10+ Year Member
Jun 19, 2005
Was wondering, what are the formal specialties/supspecialties (ie you can get board certified after residency/exam)? I realize there are plenty of types of residencies, but just want to know the ones that you can get board certified in. Also, what is the organization that oversees the certifying process (for medicine its the American Board of Medical Specialties).

Last thing, is if its not to much, can someone also say how long and how competitive each specialty/subspecialty is?

thanks

tupac_don

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 16, 2004
Status
lord999 said:
Nuclear, although it's not generally a residency per se. Almost always a certification or a graduate degree involved.
Isn't it really only like 2-3 weeks of training and you are certified. They more or less just teach you how to deal with nuclear meds, and how to handle them.

About the Ads

ultracet

1K Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 4, 2004
Visit site
Status
tupac_don said:
Isn't it really only like 2-3 weeks of training and you are certified. They more or less just teach you how to deal with nuclear meds, and how to handle them.
I thought it was like 500 hours?

tupac_don

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 16, 2004
Status
bbmuffin said:
I thought it was like 500 hours?
I dont' know, I heard 2-3 weeks, the company trains you. It might be different from place to place.

Abilify

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Nov 3, 2005
Burlington, VT
Status
200 hours class room experience, 500 hours practical experience to become certified at most places

ultracet

1K Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 4, 2004
Visit site
Status
Abilify said:
200 hours class room experience, 500 hours practical experience to become certified at most places
i think its like a state law thing.....

that sounds pretty close to what we were told here....

Stephie

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 2, 2004
California
Status
anxietypeaker said:
Was wondering, what are the formal specialties/supspecialties (ie you can get board certified after residency/exam)? I realize there are plenty of types of residencies, but just want to know the ones that you can get board certified in. Also, what is the organization that oversees the certifying process (for medicine its the American Board of Medical Specialties).

Last thing, is if its not to much, can someone also say how long and how competitive each specialty/subspecialty is?

thanks
Isn't oncology also a recognized specialty with its own test to pass? I thought I also remembered seeing psychiatric listed as a specialty and also a couple of others.

Glycerin

Commercially Unavailable
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 18, 2004
Squint your eyes and look closer.
Status
Pharmacist
Stephie said:
Isn't oncology also a recognized specialty with its own test to pass? I thought I also remembered seeing psychiatric listed as a specialty and also a couple of others.
Nuclear, Oncology, Nutrition, Pharmacotherapy, and Psychiatry all have board certifications.

pharmeronadell

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 15, 2005
Status
Stephie said:
I think so. The others are pharmacotherapy and nutrition support.

Glycerin

Commercially Unavailable
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 18, 2004
Status
Pharmacist
pharmeronadell said:
I think so. The others are pharmacotherapy and nutrition support.
There are 5. I listed them right before your post. ;)

Glycerin

Commercially Unavailable
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 18, 2004
Status
Pharmacist
pharmeronadell said:
:) I'm too slow.
Nah, it's okay. I think we all have a bit of drain bamage at this point in the semester. :laugh:

About the Ads