the formal residencies...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anxietypeaker

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Was wondering, what are the formal specialties/supspecialties (ie you can get board certified after residency/exam)? I realize there are plenty of types of residencies, but just want to know the ones that you can get board certified in. Also, what is the organization that oversees the certifying process (for medicine its the American Board of Medical Specialties).

Last thing, is if its not to much, can someone also say how long and how competitive each specialty/subspecialty is?

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

lord999 said:
Nuclear, although it's not generally a residency per se. Almost always a certification or a graduate degree involved.

Isn't it really only like 2-3 weeks of training and you are certified. They more or less just teach you how to deal with nuclear meds, and how to handle them.

Members don't see this ad :)
tupac_don said:
Isn't it really only like 2-3 weeks of training and you are certified. They more or less just teach you how to deal with nuclear meds, and how to handle them.
I thought it was like 500 hours?

bbmuffin said:
I thought it was like 500 hours?

I dont' know, I heard 2-3 weeks, the company trains you. It might be different from place to place.

200 hours class room experience, 500 hours practical experience to become certified at most places

Abilify said:
200 hours class room experience, 500 hours practical experience to become certified at most places
i think its like a state law thing.....

that sounds pretty close to what we were told here....

anxietypeaker said:
Was wondering, what are the formal specialties/supspecialties (ie you can get board certified after residency/exam)? I realize there are plenty of types of residencies, but just want to know the ones that you can get board certified in. Also, what is the organization that oversees the certifying process (for medicine its the American Board of Medical Specialties).

Last thing, is if its not to much, can someone also say how long and how competitive each specialty/subspecialty is?

thanks

Isn't oncology also a recognized specialty with its own test to pass? I thought I also remembered seeing psychiatric listed as a specialty and also a couple of others.

Stephie said:
Isn't oncology also a recognized specialty with its own test to pass? I thought I also remembered seeing psychiatric listed as a specialty and also a couple of others.

Nuclear, Oncology, Nutrition, Pharmacotherapy, and Psychiatry all have board certifications.

Stephie said:

I think so. The others are pharmacotherapy and nutrition support.