The Intern Musings Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cinematographer

More chill in real life
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
scared-scrubs.jpg
Going on vacation soon and decided to make one last mega-thread, this one being for my fellow incoming EM interns. We had a lot of folks participate in this year’s ERAS and RoL threads, so I think it would be neat to keep up/help each other via an intern-specific thread. Let’s get through this thing called life residency together.

Purpose of Thread: This thread will be used to discuss residency-related issues, intern “dumb” questions, intern year frustrations, educational resources, on-service/off-service rotation tips, crazy cases, STEP3 scheduling and prep, in-service exam prep, loan repayment, shenanigans, etc.

Old Thread Recommendations:

Recommended Links
(Please feel free to suggest other ones):
giphy.gif

“It's an incredible paradox that being a doctor is so degrading and yet is so valued by society”
Samuel Shem, The House of God

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I realize I posted this thread a bit early (residency for most doesn't start until late June/early July), but I'm hoping for more activity as June gets closer.

Off to Brazil for now!

where I will obviously spend my time rereading Rosen's a third time.... Of course .

I realize I posted this thread a bit early (residency for most doesn't start until late June/early July), but I'm hoping for more activity as June gets closer.

Off to Brazil for now!

where I will obviously spend my time rereading Rosen's a third time.... Of course .

Bruh... quit slackin. I'm starting my 5th time through.

No I'm not. I'm drinking beer outside in the sun.

Anyone else have their intern orientation coming up? Mine starts in less than two weeks. My first month will be at our University ED. I'm both excited and HORRIFIED.

Anyone else have their intern orientation coming up? Mine starts in less than two weeks. My first month will be at our University ED. I'm both excited and HORRIFIED.

Our first day is in two weeks. 8 days of hospital orientation and then our entire class spends the first block in the ED, should be a party*.

*goat rodeo

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
are we supposed to be worried about passing this ATLS/PALS/etc training or is it supposed to be straightforwrd? I wasn't worried but the books were bigger than what I was expecting and I'm still in this MS4 checked-out mode... lol

Our first day is in two weeks. 8 days of hospital orientation and then our entire class spends the first block in the ED, should be a party*.

*goat rodeo

GOAT RODEO needs to become a staple thing on here. I love it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok, to clarify.

ACLS: easy.
PALS: pretty easy.
ATLS: run by surgeons who sometimes just want to be a dick, and a lot harder because it's not dumbed down like the others.

Good luck Cinematographer! I've got another 2 weeks until s**t gets real.

Reactions: 1 user
Good luck Cinematographer! I've got another 2 weeks until s**t gets real.
I hate you.

First shift today. One admit, nine discharges. Had to sign an Rx for narcotics for the first time and sign a work note for the first time. Didn't get yelled at by anyone except the crackhead in a wheelchair that wasn't my patient. Have multiple doses of Dilaudid IV and it was fine. Even gave Zyprexa for n/v. That's a win in my book.

My attending left and I wrote eight more notes on my own. I'm sure I left something out. Oh well.

I hate you.

First shift today. One admit, nine discharges. Had to sign an Rx for narcotics for the first time and sign a work note for the first time. Didn't get yelled at by anyone except the crackhead in a wheelchair that wasn't my patient. Have multiple doses of Dilaudid IV and it was fine. Even gave Zyprexa for n/v. That's a win in my book.

My attending left and I wrote eight more notes on my own. I'm sure I left something out. Oh well.

You saw 10 patients on your first shift??? Boss. I saw seven during my 8-hour shift and was honestly not doing the greatest job keeping track of all lab results/imaging studies.

I'm sitting on my couch, morning of my last shift as a resident and this thread is like a massive nostalgia bomb. Enjoy the ride guys and girls. You made a great career choice :)

Reactions: 9 users
You saw 10 patients on your first shift??? Boss. I saw seven during my 8-hour shift and was honestly not doing the greatest job keeping track of all lab results/imaging studies.

I was on the lower-acuity side so I guess I was cheating. It was tough to stay on top of labs and imaging. They want us seeing patients that are roomed and waiting instead of writing notes.

I don't even know the dosage of Advil at this point in my vacation :/

I don't even know the dosage of Advil at this point in my vacation :/

Get the patient to open their mouth, grab a handful, and throw it at them. Whatever sticks, that's the dosage.

... No wait... that's tylenol...

Reactions: 4 users
View attachment 205443

Working my first shift today. #InternallyScreaming

Had my first shift today...felt like puking before hand, and I'm not an anxious person normally lol. Went well, didn't kill anyone, and actually may have saved a couple lives. Still have imposter syndrome but did my best to sound like I knew what I was talking about when the nurses asked me questions.

Reactions: 2 users
I am fluctuating between ridiculous excitement and pure ****ing panic, and I hit both like 10 times per hour.

Where are you guys training where you're already working shifts? My first shift isn't until July 1st.

Cruel trick I heard being played on interns on off service rotations by seniors - when they sleep in the call room, page them to the phone number of the telephone in the call room. And when you know they obviously won't be able to return the page, call them yelling 'WHY ARENT YOU RETURNING YOUR PAGES!...'

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How are my fellow co-interns doing?

I've only worked 4 shifts but so far I've really enjoyed it, even if it get overwhelming towards the end lf my shift. Goal atm is to get more efficient at charting (any .dotphrases suggestions welcomed).

charting will always be a problem. during second and third year try to make good habits and get your charting done during your shift. youll thank me later.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

I am getting pretty much all of the charting done during the shifts, and I am seeing not-very-many patients because of it, haha.

We had paper t-sheets during residency. Thank goodness for that, bc that shop was super busy. After I graduated, they started doing dictations and t sheets lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Any other interns working 4th of july? Should be fun (read: horrible). Good luck to all other unfortunate intern souls!

Don't forget to sign scrips, my script for norco kept making its way back to me and I kept taking it back to the nurse. "I don't know how to sign scripts"

Anyone have any tips/suggestions on keeping track of lab and radiology results on EPIC other than compulsively checking the patient's chart? I have a paper checklist that I update regularly, but it gets messy once I start taking care of more than x number of beds at a time. There's gotta be a more efficient way of keeing track of things.

Anyone have any tips/suggestions on keeping track of lab and radiology results on EPIC other than compulsively checking the patient's chart? I have a paper checklist that I update regularly, but it gets messy once I start taking care of more than x number of beds at a time. There's gotta be a more efficient way of keeing track of things.

Paper checklist sounds like an annoying waste of time.

I vote Epic itself. Run your list in your head, right off the trackboard. Use side-by-side view if you like it; otherwise, results pane on the bottom as you go through people on the board. When in charts, leaving the results tab open in the left-hand sidebar can be helpful.

Paper checklist sounds like an annoying waste of time.

I vote Epic itself. Run your list in your head, right off the trackboard. Use side-by-side view if you like it; otherwise, results pane on the bottom as you go through people on the board. When in charts, leaving the results tab open in the left-hand sidebar can be helpful.

Exactly this. Make sure you have your trackboard setup so that you can see your results in the separate window pane on the bottom of the screen. Personally I have like 5 or 6 different buttons that I can toggle between, including triage summary/vitals/orders/results/ed notes/ed medications. It's perfect for every time I run the board.

I wish there was an popup in Epic whenever a new lab test or imaging study resulted. Would that make too much sense?

I wish there was an popup in Epic whenever a new lab test or imaging study resulted. Would that make too much sense?

With multiple active patients each having multiple pending results. That's way too many boxes to close after each one pops up in a 12 hour shift. With my luck it'll probably keep popping up at the worst times.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

1990s advertising before the advent of pop-up blockers. This would be a nightmare. Just widen the column showing labs resulted and flags if you want something like that.