The Investment Thread (stocks, bonds, real estate, retirement, just not gold)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I doubt people in flyover country even want an EV. They like the smell of exhaust.

They'll read "900 HP truck" and love it. I know these people. Just wrap it in the flag and get a country music star in the commercial. Give one to one of the Trump children. Done. 1 million sold.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Ughhh TSLA down 13% already! Should I hold?

Meanwhile NKLA is up 39%.

Who would have thought?

Who would have thought an extremely overbought stock would eventually fall?

That's the risk you take

I'd rather have Nikola now over any other EV

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Who would have thought an extremely overbought stock would eventually fall?

That's the risk you take

I meant who would have thought that NKLA would be up so much.

And GM buying a large share of the company.

Everyone thinking that these behemoth old car companies aren't going to leverage their supply chain expertise into buying their way into the electric game and leveraging it into success is kidding themselves.

What do you honestly think a redneck in middle America is going to want to drive to the work site? A Tesla Cybertruck or a Nikola Badger? Cybertruck will be hot on LA streets, no doubt. But in Nebraska...they'll buy the GM-manufactured electric that looks like a cool pickup truck.

I'm in middle America and I love the Nikola. Of course I won't buy one until its at least 5-6 years old with over 100k miles on it. But I love it none the less

I meant who would have thought that NKLA would be up so much.

That truck looks like a bad-a Dodge Ram. It's got 900 horsepower and goes 0-60 in 3.9 seconds. Middle America is going to love that thing. Including me. But I never buy anything new.

Ughhh TSLA down 13% already! Should I hold?

Why would you sell something at loss?

Unless I know for 100% that company won’t exist tomorrow, I would never sell it at loss. Never understood that logic.

So what did BMB say this time?

Why would you sell something at loss?

Unless I know for 100% that company won’t exist tomorrow, I would never sell it at loss. Never understood that logic.

Good question, I will explain. It's because you want to recover your money now, not in ten years. It could very well be a decade before TSLA hits 450 again.

Selling a stock at a loss and putting that money into a stock more likely to go up is not a loss, it's a sideways move.

Say you buy a stock A for $2 and it drops to $1. You sell stock A for $1 and buy stock B for $1 - there is no loss. This is a sideways move. Stock B is more likely to get to $2 than stock A.

My portfolio was heavily tilted to small caps earlier this year. I was down around 30% for the year. I "sold at a loss" and moved everything over to large caps and now my accounts are back around their February highs. If I kept them in small caps, I'd be down much more.

That truck looks like a bad-a Dodge Ram. It's got 900 horsepower and goes 0-60 in 3.9 seconds. Middle America is going to love that thing. Including me. But I never buy anything new.

When I hear middle America, I think of all the giant trucks that "roll coal" in front of Tesla's on purpose.

TSLA up 6.45% premarket right now.

Why doesn't SHLL have a premarket price?

Members don't see this ad :)
Good question, I will explain. It's because you want to recover your money now, not in ten years. It could very well be a decade before TSLA hits 450 again.

Selling a stock at a loss and putting that money into a stock more likely to go up is not a loss, it's a sideways move.

Say you buy a stock A for $2 and it drops to $1. You sell stock A for $1 and buy stock B for $1 - there is no loss. This is a sideways move. Stock B is more likely to get to $2 than stock A.

My portfolio was heavily tilted to small caps earlier this year. I was down around 30% for the year. I "sold at a loss" and moved everything over to large caps and now my accounts are back around their February highs. If I kept them in small caps, I'd be down much more.

In the past 10-20 years, small caps on average made better gains than the rest of the market last time I looked. Rather than sell what you had at a loss, you could've just stayed the course and waited for it to come back... and had a huge comeback.

In the past 10-20 years, small caps on average made better gains than the rest of the market last time I looked. Rather than sell what you had at a loss, you could've just stayed the course and waited for it to come back... and had a huge comeback.

I didn't sell at a loss. It's a sideways move.

And who knows how long small caps will take to comeback with Covid. Many small businesses have already shut down.

This is what happens when you buy a stock on momentum and not fundamentals.

Tesla even after a 20% drop is still way overpriced.

What happens if you double your position and it drops even more? You're either stuck for what could be years or sell at a huge loss and it could go up right after.

Or it could be back at those levels quickly and you make money after doubling your position

This is what happens when you buy a stock on momentum and not fundamentals.

Tesla even after a 20% drop is still way overpriced.

What happens if you double your position and it drops even more? You're either stuck for what could be years or sell at a huge loss and it could go up right after.

Or it could be back at those levels quickly and you make money after doubling your position

Yup that's why I won't be buying it any more regardless of how low it may go. I will keep 13-14 shares I have and hold them long-term. Tesla has always been a volatile stock so what we are seeing right now ain't nothing new.

I dropped 65k into cmi monday morning and it's climbing like crazy.

Spurs already explained it. He posted an offensive video. It’s basically always the same reason anyway lol

I can't keep up with this place. So a new video and not that previous one?

Anyway I could see the video in DM?

I dropped 65k into cmi monday morning and it's climbing like crazy.

Why CMI, why that much, and why Monday? Just a hunch?

It's trading near its 52-week high... are you going to sell soon or hold? How much higher do you think it will go?

I can't keep up with this place. So a new video and not that previous one?

Anyway I could see the video in DM?

He just needs to stop posting links to controversial videos and he won't keep getting banned.

Tesla has a chance to be truly revolutionary. I'm up over 100% after adding before the 20% drop.

I'm totally willing to leave all my money in and see what happens in 10 years.

If Tesla offers a model 2, virtual power plant, a lyft/uber service, FSD, continued cheaper battery costs, cheaper production by casting etc they will absolutely crush long term.

Well aware I'm biased. I'm ok with that.
There is nothing revolutionary with Tesla. They got the first mover advantage. Everyone is stealing their tech, copying them already like $1 CD pr0n you can buy on the street in China town. Any other publicly traded EV companies will most likely double faster than Tesla at the current hype valuation.

How they got their battery range will also be copied soon enough by pretty much everyone on the planet. As a consumer, I'm excited what the competitors have to offer soon!

Last edited:
Tesla is a lot like Apple.

Elon Musk and Steve Jobs are basically the same person. They are world class bull****ters that are good at creating good macro-level observations and are both brilliant at marketing to a layman audience. But in the end, they are both pretty much posers leeching off of the true genius of engineers like Steve Wozniak at Apple and JB Straubel at Tesla. And even if better built EVs come out (the Polestar is already a better EV build quality wise), they might keep a weird, massive, unflinching following like Apple does somehow.

It doesn't matter how overrated Apple stuff is. How bad their thermals are. How they keep a closed, predatory system. How overpriced they are. How few real enthusiasts actually use Apple. They have a following. A cult.

Will Tesla be a cult? That's the real question.

They might be. Jaguar, Land Rover, and Maserati keep selling cars even though they are giant pieces of ****. No reason Tesla can't be like that.

My taxable/fun money account has gone from +1800 to -1400 and back in the past week or so. I'm thinking about selling everything while I'm up and throwing it back in an index fund or an ETF. Not that I can't take the swings, but I find I'm addicted to checking my phone all day while the market is open.

My taxable/fun money account has gone from +1800 to -1400 and back in the past week or so. I'm thinking about selling everything while I'm up and throwing it back in an index fund or an ETF. Not that I can't take the swings, but I find I'm addicted to checking my phone all day while the market is open.
I do the same even when I bought nothing. I highly doubt you can stop fidgeting even if you sold everything. It's the stock market drama that your mind craves.

I do the same even when I bought nothing. I highly doubt you can stop fidgeting even if you sold everything. It's the stock market drama that your mind craves.

You have individual stocks though? I never checked when I only had index funds. The price didn't change until EOD for those.

I don't individual buy stocks.

But come on, you have to be slightly amused.

Yeah it's pretty funny. I can't imagine what any of those shareholders were thinking, continuing to hold on to the stock

But they just got rewarded.

What you are doing is gambling and not investing in individual stocks.

I haven't looked at the 11k fund since I really don't care what happens to it but there's a good chance it's in the negative overall at this point.

If it was my actual trading account. I would have had stop losses at prices I would not want the stocks anymore so I wouldn't have to pay attention to them.

I don't think you are addicted, I think you are just worried like any gambler would be. Not sure if anyone bets on sports here but how often would you bet on a game you didn't watch?

If you can't get away from watching your stocks throughout the day, you need to stop. However every stock you buy, you should know everything about. What the risks are and at what point you would sell.

What you are doing is gambling and not investing in individual stocks.

I haven't looked at the 11k fund since I really don't care what happens to it but there's a good chance it's in the negative overall at this point.

If it was my actual trading account. I would have had stop losses at prices I would not want the stocks anymore so I wouldn't have to pay attention to them.

I don't think you are addicted, I think you are just worried like any gambler would be. Not sure if anyone bets on sports here but how often would you bet on a game you didn't watch?

If you can't get away from watching your stocks throughout the day, you need to stop. However every stock you buy, you should know everything about. What the risks are and at what point you would sell.

Thinking about it... I'm only up like $100-300 overall haha with a little over 12k invested. Think I'd have more if it were in an S&P. I'm currently +30% NIO and +28% WKHS, negative in everything else. I kinda want to DCA everything into ARKK + ARKF every month and be done.

You have individual stocks though? I never checked when I only had index funds. The price didn't change until EOD for those.

Only Brk B as individual stock. Which I don't check everyday. I check the speculative stocks because I am really intrigued by the whole fiasco.

Thinking about it... I'm only up like $100-300 overall haha with a little over 12k invested. Think I'd have more if it were in an S&P. I'm currently +30% NIO and +28% WKHS, negative in everything else. I kinda want to DCA everything into ARKK + ARKF every month and be done.

What's about VGT? seem somewhat comparable with lower ER no?

Last edited:
Only Brk B as individual stock. Which really I shouldn't need to check every day. I just have OCD.

What's about VGT? seem somewhat comparable with lower ER no?

ARKK has a higher 5 year return (37% vs 27%). I realize there's higher risk.

You guys are right, I can't take this volatility. I feel like everything is still priced high and there are more corrections and selloffs to come. I just cashed out everything in my taxable account. There's now $12.4k cash in there, I think I ended up between -$100 and +100 since buying individual stocks. I'll take my time before deciding what to do with it. If anything, it will be better for my health to stop checking my phone every minute.

ARKK has a higher 5 year return (37% vs 27%). I realize there's higher risk.

You guys are right, I can't take this volatility. I feel like everything is still priced high and there are more corrections and selloffs to come. I just cashed out everything in my taxable account. There's now $12.4k cash in there, I think I ended up between -$100 and +100 since buying individual stocks. I'll take my time before deciding what to do with it. If anything, it will be better for my health to stop checking my phone every minute.

Question now is how long will you stay in cash?

Question now is how long will you stay in cash?

Not sure any suggestions? Maybe put in like 1k per week or every 2 weeks? Or if NIO dips down to $12 again I'll buy that haha.

I am putting all my $$$ on VGT and Nio and see what happens in 10-15 yrs..

T is getting tempting to add more. I'm getting very cautious buying much of anything but I actually have a lot of free cash at the moment (cashed out some btc, etc)

ARK ETFs loaded up on T today.