The Investment Thread (stocks, bonds, real estate, retirement, just not gold)

msweph

7+ Year Member
Jun 27, 2013
Status
Pharmacist
Messing with my HSA today.

Somehow had some of the auto contribute funds in 2030 retirement and conservative growth. Probably saved me earlier since it was so conservative, just wish I noticed a couple months ago.

I'm selling those on Monday and will place them in something else.

Would you just throw all funds in on Monday or slowly add in? Not doing anything crazy, there is a spy index fund, a growth one, a high dividend and a target date retierment fund.

Once I get more balance I'm going to move it away to fidelity like someone suggested. Doesn't seem worth the hassle for 10k balance right now.

Yes I know I should have more but my first job didnt offer an HSA and I actually used it for medical expenses. No longer doing that

WVUPharm2007

imagine sisyphus happy
15+ Year Member
Jun 23, 2003
Born: Parkersburg, WV | Now: Montgomery TWP, PA
Status
Pharmacist
Messing with my HSA today.

Somehow had some of the auto contribute funds in 2030 retirement and conservative growth. Probably saved me earlier since it was so conservative, just wish I noticed a couple months ago.

I'm selling those on Monday and will place them in something else.

Would you just throw all funds in on Monday or slowly add in? Not doing anything crazy, there is a spy index fund, a growth one, a high dividend and a target date retierment fund.

Once I get more balance I'm going to move it away to fidelity like someone suggested. Doesn't seem worth the hassle for 10k balance right now.

Yes I know I should have more but my first job didnt offer an HSA and I actually used it for medical expenses. No longer doing that

I'd put it in the one with the lowest expense as long as it isn't something oddball.

Having a nice HSA is the secret weapon against future medical expenses. If you can save $200k or so in that thing, you can basically cash flow medical care forever given that most plans have max out of pocket expenses..

Last edited:
About the Ads

wagrxm2000

Walgreens enthusiast. Called the peak in Bitcoin.
5+ Year Member
Sep 17, 2014
Current p/e ratios of the market is an estimated 28.12. The only times it's ever been higher were before the last two market collapses.

wagrxm2000

5+ Year Member
Sep 17, 2014
You think its coming??
With everything that's going on to keep the market afloat, we're more likely to just stall here until things get back to normal.

We should correct though

Last edited:

WVUPharm2007

imagine sisyphus happy
15+ Year Member
Jun 23, 2003
Status
Pharmacist
Following
Their website was down overnight, but it finally came back up.

Looks like they are a wholesaler to independent brokers. Just type your address into findamortgagebroker.com and it will give you local options. A lot of the results were literally business being run out of peoples' homes. I found a few that were actual business with brick and mortar store fronts. I might pop in Monday morning and see what this is about. Hopefully it doesn't involve buying a bunch of points or paying some excessive fees. Then again, this would literally cut my rate in half. So maybe it would be worth it.

msweph

7+ Year Member
Jun 27, 2013
Status
Pharmacist
Their website was down overnight, but it finally came back up.

Looks like they are a wholesaler to independent brokers. Just type your address into findamortgagebroker.com and it will give you local options. A lot of the results were literally business being run out of peoples' homes. I found a few that were actual business with brick and mortar store fronts. I might pop in Monday morning and see what this is about. Hopefully it doesn't involve buying a bunch of points or paying some excessive fees. Then again, this would literally cut my rate in half. So maybe it would be worth it.
I knew I should have waited another month before pulling the trigger on refinancing. 3% on 30 sounds so bad now... friend got 2.75% for 30

WVUPharm2007

imagine sisyphus happy
15+ Year Member
Jun 23, 2003
Status
Pharmacist
I knew I should have waited another month before pulling the trigger on refinancing. 3% on 30 sounds so bad now... friend got 2.75% for 30
I'm in a 3.75%/30yr I signed in 2012. A 1.875%/15 yr would actually decrease both my monthly payment and term. Significantly.

Last edited:
About the Ads
Jan 22, 2019
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Investing in a tax deferred account (e.g. Roth IRA).

ETF vs. Index Fund? Which one is better and why?

PharmDBro2017

2+ Year Member
Dec 1, 2015
Status
Pharmacist
Rocketmortgage (quicken loans) is offering ~2.7 -2.8% on 30 yr refinance. Super easy process.

Chrish

2+ Year Member
Oct 27, 2017
Status
Pharmacist
Investing in a tax deferred account (e.g. Roth IRA).

ETF vs. Index Fund? Which one is better and why?
No difference. ETF has slightly lower expense ratio but not significant enough to warrant its selection over index admiral.

Main difference is you can buy ETF at the market price while index cost is determined at the end of business day. Also, you have to buy ETF as a whole while index can be bought partially. So if you have $5500 in Roth, you can invest all in index. But ETF you can only buy whole stock so if price is $165 for index, you can only buy $5445 worth and $5 will be sitting in your money market account. Moreover, you can trade ETF like individual stock meaning you have an option of setting up the limit on when to buy/ sell it at certain price. Index doesn’t have this.

I have all index for Roth.

owlegrad

Uncontrollable Sarcasm Machine
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Mar 19, 2009
Locked in the basement
www.facebook.com
Status
Pharmacist
About the Ads

WVUPharm2007

imagine sisyphus happy
15+ Year Member
Jun 23, 2003
Status
Pharmacist
Got this reply from my local mortgage broker:

"Hi Michael,

I’m not sure what UWM is advertising. The rate of 1.875% does show on their rate sheet but it would cost us money to give you that rate. The only way we could offer it is to charge you points. Our 15 year rate as of Friday was 2.625% with zero points."

So apparently they charge you points.

Reactions: owlegrad

wagrxm2000

5+ Year Member
Sep 17, 2014
Hence the dip.
What I meant was, they are going to start losing market share. How many companies are going to wait on them instead of going to AMD?

I thought I read something about Apple dropping them too.

I read an interesting article the other day about the beginnings of Intel and AMD. Seems like AMD has the clear upper hand now.

I don't mind buying the dip but normally I look for companies that are still in a strong position.

It's kind of like Boeing. You have to figure it'll rebound at some point but how long are you willing to take a beating?

Jan 22, 2019
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Is it a good idea to roll over 401k to a traditional IRA after leaving a company?

401k management fees is pretty low right now (< $50/yr for an amount over 120k). I am not sure whether or not it will be more advantageous to transfer 401k to a traditional IRA.

What do you guys/gals think?

Last edited:

Momus

10+ Year Member
Apr 2, 2008
Status
Pharmacist
Is it a good idea to roll over 401k to a traditional IRA after leaving a company?

401k management fees is pretty low right now (< $50/yr for an amount over 120k). I am not sure whether or not it will be more advantageous to transfer 401k to a traditional IRA.

Wouldn't do that coz then, you can't do backdoor Roth ira

mentos

10+ Year Member
Nov 22, 2009
Status

Leave it alone or rollover into your new 401k.

Reactions: Momus
About the Ads

PharmDminus

2+ Year Member
Mar 18, 2016
Momus already explained above. If you roll into traditional IRA then you're not eligible for backdoor Roth.
for those of us who have income below the threshold (married) and can contribute directly to Roth without doing backdoor, would there be any reason not to roll 401k to trad ira?

mentos

10+ Year Member
Nov 22, 2009
Status
for those of us who have income below the threshold (married) and can contribute directly to Roth without doing backdoor, would there be any reason not to roll 401k to trad ira?
I guess you could if you wanted but what if your income increases past the threshold in the future? I personally like to have less accounts open for simplicity.

flowers47

Membership Revoked
Removed
Jul 7, 2020
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided), Post Doc
If the Fed prints money left and right, real assets like gold, real estate would do well
Did anyone buy gold and real estate? Gold is approaching $2,000/oz and is at an all time high. Real estate is up 4.5% year YTY.

wagrxm2000

5+ Year Member
Sep 17, 2014
Did anyone buy gold and real estate? Gold is approaching $2,000/oz and is at an all time high. Real estate is up 4.5% year YTY.
Welcome back again bmb

Just post under this account if you want to come back.

• Haha
Reactions: mentos

PharmtoCS

7+ Year Member
Aug 2, 2011
I am going to buy more international index funds. With our failed federal COVID response and the Fed printing trillions of dollars I am going to diversify out of US markets.

wagrxm2000

5+ Year Member
Sep 17, 2014
I am going to buy more international index funds. With our failed federal COVID response and the Fed printing trillions of dollars I am going to diversify out of US markets.
You don't actually think international will perform without the US also performing do you?

Jan 22, 2019
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Isn't printing money better for investors since that will keep the stock market afloat?

Reactions: Prepharm1214

Momus

10+ Year Member
Apr 2, 2008
Status
Pharmacist
Got this reply from my local mortgage broker:

"Hi Michael,

I’m not sure what UWM is advertising. The rate of 1.875% does show on their rate sheet but it would cost us money to give you that rate. The only way we could offer it is to charge you points. Our 15 year rate as of Friday was 2.625% with zero points."

So apparently they charge you points.
I feel like you could do better than 2.625% for prime rate nowadays.

Aimloan 2.5% for 15 yrs. If you shop around, I bet you probably can get lower than that. If you buy down the rate to 2%, you will break even after 7 yrs ($6500/$77 difference from 2.5%) = 84 months. But ofc, 7 yrs is also a long ass time. I doubt we gonna see a lower rate anytime again soon though unless we have another upcoming blackswan 2.0 in the horizon that makes fed going into negative rate.

Attachments

wagrxm2000

5+ Year Member
Sep 17, 2014
Gold just blew by $2k, if it holds who knows how high we can go from here

mentos

10+ Year Member
Nov 22, 2009
Status

wagrxm2000

5+ Year Member
Sep 17, 2014
My son was gifted a gold coin when he was born. Should I hold onto this thing until he's 18 or sell it and put it in his 529?
I own zero physical gold. It's all on vanguard

Last edited:

wagrxm2000

5+ Year Member
Sep 17, 2014
We are due for a 10% correction this year. Hope we can get some good deals on FAANG stocks.

This is why advisors never beat the market. They can only perform better during bear markets but I wouldn't even be surprised if even this year they underperform.

msweph

7+ Year Member
Jun 27, 2013
Status
Pharmacist
Can I sell half my sq before earnings? If it drops rebuy. If it rips, I'll pick up something else

wagrxm2000

5+ Year Member
Sep 17, 2014
Can I sell half my sq before earnings? If it drops rebuy. If it rips, I'll pick up something else
Half at open or near the end of the day?

I could sell during lunch but I might miss before the closing bell

About the Ads