The Investment Thread (stocks, bonds, real estate, retirement, just not gold)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Do you guys use stop loss orders for your individual stocks?

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone mind guiding a rookie? What platform do you use to purchase your stocks? I’ve finally decided to dip my toe into the market and I’m sure I’m gunna make some mistakes. Hopefully a little less with your help.

I’ve already set up an individual brokerage account with E*TRADE. I know that I probably could have gotten some tax advantages if I used an ira or similar but I’m not exactly sure how I plan to use any proceeds yet. Ideally, I can pull out some to help pay off any student loans if I get lucky. My goal is to go long though, so this tells me I probably should have done an ira.

Anyone mind guiding a rookie? What platform do you use to purchase your stocks? I’ve finally decided to dip my toe into the market and I’m sure I’m gunna make some mistakes. Hopefully a little less with your help.

I’ve already set up an individual brokerage account with E*TRADE. I know that I probably could have gotten some tax advantages if I used an ira or similar but I’m not exactly sure how I plan to use any proceeds yet. Ideally, I can pull out some to help pay off any student loans if I get lucky. My goal is to go long though, so this tells me I probably should have done an ira.

I personally wouldn't put any money into a taxable account until student loans are paid off and all retirement accounts (401k, Roth IRA, HSA) are maxed with index funds. Then you can gamble with individual stocks.

Last edited:
I personally wouldn't put any money into a taxable account until student loans are paid off and all retirement accounts (401k, Roth IRA, HSA) are maxed with index funds. Then you can gamble with individual stocks.

Totally agree. I’m not going to be doing anything too risky. I know, no such thing with gambling. I’ve been running a simulator for the past year and I’m up much more than down.

I have HSA maxed and 401k match at the moment while trying to be more aggressive with my student loans. Used some bonuses this year to pad my 6 month emergency fund and decided now that I would use that to try my luck.

I was pretty much in the same shoes about 5 years ago. I opened up an Ameritrade account, deposited 10k to play around with and then added another 25k a few weeks later. This was spring 2015 and now the account is at 132k. I haven't added any cash after that initial 35k because, well, it's a play/gamble account. Not that I know much about investing, but as someone who was in your shoes not too long ago I say go for it as long as it's an amount you're ok with parting with for the benefit of getting you interested enough to learn more about the market and investing. Personally, I used to have zero interest at all in finance and investing so this helped me to start having some interest on the topic and gain more insight on how financial markets and different sectors are impacted by things happening around the world every day. Of course, seeing gains is exciting too but I'd like to think I'm prepared to see a lot of that reverse. As people have mentioned, it's kind of crazy right now how casual investors are making enough to pay off homes and new teslas - like friends who haven't done any research and just heard recommendations from other friends.

I was pretty much in the same shoes about 5 years ago. I opened up an Ameritrade account, deposited 10k to play around with and then added another 25k a few weeks later. This was spring 2015 and now the account is at 132k. I haven't added any cash after that initial 35k because, well, it's a play/gamble account. Not that I know much about investing, but as someone who was in your shoes not too long ago I say go for it as long as it's an amount you're ok with parting with for the benefit of getting you interested enough to learn more about the market and investing. Personally, I used to have zero interest at all in finance and investing so this helped me to start having some interest on the topic and gain more insight on how financial markets and different sectors are impacted by things happening around the world every day. Of course, seeing gains is exciting too but I'd like to think I'm prepared to see a lot of that reverse. As people have mentioned, it's kind of crazy right now how casual investors are making enough to pay off homes and new teslas - like friends who haven't done any research and just heard recommendations from other friends.

Not a good idea to throw out numbers like that. A new investor is going to read this and think he can turn 35k into 132k in a few years too. Sure it's possible, but how likely is it for this bull run to continue for the next 5 years?

Reactions: 1 user
TSLA on sale again. Anyone buying?

Not a good idea to throw out numbers like that. A new investor is going to read this and think he can turn 35k into 132k in a few years too. Sure it's possible, but how likely is it for this bull run to continue for the next 5 years?

Good point. I tried to put in some emphasis that this is a crazy time and things can turn around from 1 day to the next.

I'll add this to put into perspective - for the first 2 years, my account made pretty much nothing. Or if it made anything, it lost it all again.

@mentos is it a bad idea to put out any numbers on this forum in general? I haven't posted here much so if there's a general reason (i.e. privacy?) behind it as well I'll just remove the numbers.

Members don't see this ad :)
If anyone actually heeds the advice of anyone in this thread without doing any due diligence their own GD fault.

Everyone shares numbers here. I just felt in that context it wasn't a good idea.

Tesla doesn't appear to have a support area. Be careful everyone buying it

Extremely overvalued

Has anyone rebalanced their portfolio to a majority of vanguard growth index or are you staying the course with a regular 3 fund small/mid/large etc.

10k hsa but only started in 2019

Curious about this too. Anyone here is primarily a 3-funder? I see people with some variations but I think fewer people even hold international and bonds anymore.

Curious about this too. Anyone here is primarily a 3-funder? I see people with some variations but I think fewer people even hold international and bonds anymore.

My focus is on dividend and international ETFs, or both.

Did something happen today?

DOW is up big

Do you really want to own dividend stocks when you are still young? The dividend is already priced in the stock price. Inflation would also hurt your dividend.

Agreed. Especially in this market where growth/tech stocks are reaching new highs every single day? Pick any FAANG stock instead.

Tesla doesn't appear to have a support area. Be careful everyone buying it

Extremely overvalued

Support level seems to be 440 except for that dip around 11:30.

Support level seems to be 440 except for that dip around 11:30.

But what happens when it breaks 440?

There are huge gaps down, just be careful.

You can use more than one. They are all pretty much the same ($0 commission trades) if you are just a buy-and-hold type of person (stocks, mutual funds, ETFs)

You can also open up an IRA on E Trade.

Cash $51-100k band (mix of CDs and TIPS funds across HSA, IRA, savings acct, taxable accts)

Anyone invest in ARKK or ARKW funds? Thinking of adding then in my tax deferred accounts.

I'm just learning about these, I'm always late to the party. Did you get them? I figure since everything's so overpriced right now, I may as well diversify.

I read ARKK and ARKF are the best combination to avoid overlap. The expense ratios seem high compared to traditional ETFs, is that normal?

Most pharmacists don’t have much left over after maxing their 401 k and HSA so investing for the sole purpose of paying off your student loans is not practical.
I'm right at $3k per paycheck after all my deductions including 401k, Roth, and HSA. I got two paid off cars. Just owe my $1400 mortgage and utilities. And I'm a cheap bastard.

I got plenty after deductions.

I'm right at $3k per paycheck after all my deductions including 401k, Roth, and HSA. I got two paid off cars. Just owe my $1400 mortgage and utilities. And I'm a cheap bastard.

I got plenty after deductions.

Californians don't know other states exist in this country.

Check out this post about asset allocation, most of the responses are from before the Covid dip. Plenty of people with international exposure. But I find that only Bogleheads recommend bonds now.

Ok - I have sealed my “long term investment strategy” today. This is it for me.. I’m sticking a fork in it and walking away for 20 years. Here is my position:

-Mid 30s with 25 years of work left.

-51k In DIA that I bought when the dow is at 18.8k. Bought today... I understand this may go down but I’m going very long on this..

-7k in Costco stock that was bought at 306/share (this may be my play money in a couple years)

-2 months of “emergency savings” on hand in bank account.. (and whatever is coming with this govt stimulus.)

-270k in a 401k (current value after the drop). Contributing 10% every paycheck

-home owner with ~30% equity with current market

I now live paycheck to paycheck and I’m starting over with “savings”. I plan on holding all my positions for 20 years...

Wish me luck because I’m done...

Convince me not to sell my DIA on Friday of this week. I am way up right now

Hate to toot my own horn on a market call but... Beep beep

If anyone actually heeds the advice of anyone in this thread without doing any due diligence their own GD fault.

I did when I jumped into index funds after reading this thread.

Couldn’t be happier with my decision. If I have learned this when I was 26 instead of 30, I would have made hundred thousands more..

Read your 2nd to last sentence.

I didn't catch why you bought dow Jones in the first place. If I were you, I'd buy S&P 500 Index instead. It's more diversified with 500+ stocks. For example: Dow Jones doesn't have FB, Google, and many more. Dow poorly represents the US market.

Beside from that, good job buying at the low. I think you are one of people here that actually pulled the trigger. A lot of people with cash were scared, bought pennies trying to time the bottom and missed the run up altogether.

LoL less than 6 months is very long! You're probably right though.

TSLA is 410 right now premarket. Looks like I'll be buying more today.

Another huge Tesla sale 7% off

I just bought 6k of speculative stocks. Yolo!

Be careful folks. I wouldn’t go nuts on individual in stocks right now.

Read your 2nd to last sentence.

I didn't catch why you bought dow Jones in the first place. If I were you, I'd buy S&P 500 Index instead. It's more diversified with 500+ stocks. For example: Dow Jones doesn't have FB, Google, and many more. Dow poorly represents the US market.

Beside from that, good job buying at the low. I think you are one of people here that actually pulled the trigger. A lot of people with cash were scared, bought pennies trying to time the bottom and missed the run up altogether.

Do you primarily invest only in one fund? Do you prefer the S&P500 over the total stock market? I know most sources say there is no difference but I'm interested in your viewpoint if it differs. Thanks.

I should have waited a bit to buy, ah well. Will keep adding a little more each week or so.

Everyone knows we are in a bubble.. We just don’t know when it will pop. Today, after a month or two years?

Best thing to do is stick to the plan when it comes to indexing.. My cost basis was -50k in March and I didn’t loose sleep over it. I was confident it would bounce back like it always has in past 100 years and now I’m +50k.

Stay the course and continue contributing like normal except buy more during the dips.

Reactions: 2 users
You have to know yourself. I would suggest buying individual stock only after maxing out your retirement funds and HSA.

I prefer not to buy a bunch of individual stocks (might as well buy a low cost index fund). My main play is NIO. It is all or nothing. I am comfortable with that.
Why NIO?

I plan to add another 200 shares to my low 100 shares of NIO if the price stays ~$20/share in the next 2 months.

Feels like March again. Is anyone selling?

How did today's sell-off begin? did someone just yell "run" and everyone stampeded for the exit?

How did today's sell-off begin? did someone just yell "run" and everyone stampeded for the exit?
I guess...

6k+ is wiped out of my portfolio today. I am heavily invested in tech and they take a beating today.

On big red day, my cruise line stocks are up 5%. Talk about diversification..! :banana:

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users