The Investment Thread (stocks, bonds, real estate, retirement, just not gold)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone buying today?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
The ones with money are just buying and holding index funds. Do you really think you can predict the stock market? I would rather play big on one hand and hold than buying and selling stocks left and right.

The ones with money are just buying and holding index funds. Do you really think you can predict the stock market? I would rather play big on one hand and hold than buying and selling stocks left and right.

No, I don't think anyone thinks that. We're just talking about play money.

I beat the market today, bought 1 AMZN for $3000 LoL.

Is battery day all hype? Rumors about an electric jet powered by a Tesla battery.

The #1 factor in real estate investing is timing. The #2 factor is location. If you don’t get those two things right, your investment strategy does not matter...you are going to lose.

Reactions: 1 user
The #1 factor in real estate investing is timing. The #2 factor is location. If you don’t get those two things right, your investment strategy does not matter...you are going to lose.

I thought number 1 was location location location.

Members don't see this ad :)
Person above you is bmb.

More than one person can a load of money in real estate! Just think how much more money you would have today if you had gone all-in in real estate instead of stocks.

More than one person can a load of money in real estate! Just think how much more money you would have today if you had gone all-in in real estate instead of stocks.
Made plenty with stocks.

RE sucks. No one wants to deal with extra work.

I wonder how much money I could make buying $100 worth of bitcoin. Probably more than RE too.

Made plenty with stocks.

I wonder how much money I could make buying $100 worth of bitcoin. Probably more than RE too.

I thought you are the OT king?

Must've missed out a lot? How many times did you get banned?

All due respect but trading hours for dollars and investing in index funds worked when pharmacists had a good steady income. You need something else nowadays. Now is the time to roll back your sleeves and take action while you still have work.

Made plenty with stocks.

That's why you factor in a management company to your real estate investing plan.

We went through about 4 pages of posts without any major squabble, which I think is a miracle. It looks like we are about to be back at it again.

We went through about 4 pages of posts without any major squabble, which I think is a miracle. It looks like we are about to be back at it again.

There was a certain person missing for those 4 pages.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

There was a certain person missing for those 4 pages.

He was busy squabbling here.

• Haha
I miss BMB... I hope this OIN person doesn't get banned for having a similar posting style to his.

A company that was built on lies and hype:

Adjustments.jpg

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Another red day. Time to average down.

This is not 2008. Look at the significant amount of home equity.

Adjustments.jpg

Uncertainty of the Supreme Court/Election is causing fear.

Mutual funds and ETFs have seen a huge exodus since August. Not really sure why so many people claim that investors are pouring into stocks

What's better for the market

Biden or Trump?

Biden or Trump?

My meaningless predictions are:

- If Biden wins, the market crashes shortly thereafter, followed by a slow recovery (several years)
- If Trump gets re-elected, we get 2-3 more years of what we've had - strong, but volatile market, with constant "corrections" (buy opportunities)

Not sure which is "better" though? Depends on your goals & positions I guess...

Holy ****, Microsoft just bought Zenimax/Bethesda.

Too bad for idtech engines then. Of the higher engine use, many people learned their trade on idtech when id/Bethesda would open source them. Sucks to pay a Micro$oft tax on the games. I see a similar fate like Bungie.

Gig economy eviction work.

This is some dystopia we live in, boys.

Biden or Trump?

Won't make a difference. Everyone said the market would crash when Trump was elected in 2016 and look what happened.

Some valid points in there. How long can they postpone mortgage and rental payments? Its not 2008, but 2020 can topple that.

In my area people are buying homes with cash. Every house gets into a bidding war. Demand is high and supply is low. Lots of people have high paying jobs.

I'm having second thoughts about refinancing. I currently have a 7 year ARM at 2.375%. I originally planned to refinance in 7 years but who knows what the rates will be by then. I won't have my mortgage paid off by then, maybe half.

I locked in 2.875% 30 year last week. I called a couple banks today and their rates were 3.25% and 3.50% which aren't good.

Should I play it safe with the 30 year or roll the dice with the ARM?

I'm having second thoughts about refinancing. I currently have a 7 year ARM at 2.375%. I originally planned to refinance in 7 years but who knows what the rates will be by then. I won't have my mortgage paid off by then, maybe half.

I locked in 2.875% 30 year last week. I called a couple banks today and their rates were 3.25% and 3.50% which aren't good.

Anything <3% is very good. I'd be happy with 2.875% and sleep good at night, knowing I don't have to worry about the ARM in 7 years.

Why don't you check the calculations, see how much you'd save between the two.... and think about your risk tolerance for the ARM vs a locked in rate and if the $ your saving is even worth that worry.

If you have paid off half your mortgage in 7 years, then the amount left over is not going to be that much. As time goes by, interest becomes smaller and smaller. For example, 1% interest on $500 k loan is $5 k while 1% on 250 k is $2.5 k.

Last edited:
Existing home sale highest since December 2006. Prices up 11.4% from August 2019:

If you had put down 20%, you just made 5 x 11.4% = 57% return on appreciation. This is why real estate is so profitable.

You can literally retire on rental properties just on appreciation. Do a cash out refinance, pay zero tax and enjoy your money while you are still young.

Existing home sale highest since December 2006. Prices up 11.4% from August 2019:

If you had put down 20%, you just made 5 x 11.4% = 57% return on appreciation. This is why real estate is so profitable.

You can literally retire on rental properties just on appreciation. Do a cash out refinance, pay zero tax and enjoy your money while you are still young.

Much less work to buy the next bitcoin, amazon, tesla, or whatever. Also notice that all this price appreciation has been going on while interest rates have been in a 40 year decline and cannot go much lower. What happens to home prices when the tailwind from declining interest rates disappears?

Much less work to buy the next bitcoin, amazon, tesla, or whatever. Also notice that all this price appreciation has been going on while interest rates have been in a 40 year decline and cannot go much lower. What happens to home prices when the tailwind from declining interest rates disappears?

Finding the next Amazon or Tesla is not only rare but most people don’t have the gut to drop $100 k on a speculative stock. And you have to pay tax on stocks. You don’t have to pay tax with cash out refinance on a property.

The argument about low interest rate has been made for the last 10 years and here we are...still low interest rate. Assuming the Fed can keep interest low even at the risk of inflation, why would they increase interest rate to the point where it would cause housing/stock market crash?

Don’t guess what the Fed will do. They have already told you they are keeping rate low for years to come. It is now harder than ever to increase interest rate...just look at Japan where you can get a mortgage for 1.5% for the last 20 years.

All good news today.

NIO just got ranked as one of the top companies that is changing the world in 2020: