The Investment Thread (stocks, bonds, real estate, retirement, just not gold)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Zillow? Interesting. I keep hearing about a housing crash/correction coming soon
I dont know about housing crash/corection with the fed printing money like there is no tomorrow.

Members don't see this ad.

Didn’t you get in early on NIO and make a really good return? Or am I thinking of someone else?

BMB told us about NIO, he got in at single digits. I bought between 11-30 and panic sold around 42-44 last December. Also bought PLTR between 10-21 and panic sold around 27 I think on the same day. They both jumped a bit after that and everyone laughed at me but looking back, I did pretty good. I didn't have a huge amount compared to others here.

My trading account has been flat this year so I just want to buy and hold good stocks now.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
BMB told us about NIO, he got in at single digits. I bought between 11-30 and panic sold around 42-44 last December. Also bought PLTR between 10-21 and panic sold around 27 I think on the same day. They both jumped a bit after that and everyone laughed at me but looking back, I did pretty good. I didn't have a huge amount compared to others here.

My trading account has been flat this year so I just want to buy and hold good stocks now.
I miss BMB…

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

Sounds like you have given up the FOMO? That’s good. You will get better returns over decades by not chasing the next meme stock. Good for you!

I find buying companies I really believe in to be a much better experience than just buying whatever hype stock is out there and hoping it goes higher. I have the vast majority of my investments in VTI and SPY and those accounts are killing my brokerage account where I pick stocks.

I do still pick stocks here and there for fun and to have something to discuss with other stock pickers but it’s tough to beat a good index.

Reactions: 2 users
I miss BMB…
Everyone claims they miss him now but where was the love when he was here? It’s easy to miss someone when you don’t have to put up with them.

All he did was insult people and tell them they wouldn’t be able to own a home with student debt.

• Haha
Sounds like you have given up the FOMO? That’s good. You will get better returns over decades by not chasing the next meme stock. Good for you!

I find buying companies I really believe in to be a much better experience than just buying whatever hype stock is out there and hoping it goes higher. I have the vast majority of my investments in VTI and SPY and those accounts are killing my brokerage account where I pick stocks.

I do still pick stocks here and there for fun and to have something to discuss with other stock pickers but it’s tough to beat a good index.

Yeah after a year of FOMO buying I've decided it's not worth it. I keep telling myself that I should just index cause I can't beat VTI. Then I get addicted to watching stocks again. It's a vicious cycle.

Yeah after a year of FOMO buying I've decided it's not worth it. I keep telling myself that I should just index cause I can't beat VTI. Then I get addicted to watching stocks again. It's a vicious cycle.
Buffet says he has a 1-800 number he calls every time he thinks about investing in airlines. When he calls he says he is a recovering addict and they talk him down from making the same mistake. Maybe you need that for stock picking?

I kid. Sort of. I would be wealthier if I would follow my own advice and just poor it all into VTI. Richer but perhaps more bored.

At the end of 2020, I changed 2/3s of my Roth IRA into tech growth stocks. INSTANT REGRET

Buying VTI is the way to go, holding a bunch of tech stocks is like buying into a diversified meme index fund

• Wow
At the end of 2020, I changed 2/3s of my Roth IRA into tech growth stocks. INSTANT REGRET

Buying VTI is the way to go, holding a bunch of tech stocks is like buying into a diversified meme index fund
Ouch. Sorry my friend. An expensive lesson but a good one.

Everyone claims they miss him now but where was the love when he was here? It’s easy to miss someone when you don’t have to put up with them.

All he did was insult people and tell them they wouldn’t be able to own a home with student debt.
I loved him while he was here, and thoroughly enjoyed his insults. Sure it’s against the rules/standards of the forum, but still extremely entertaining.

Agree. I discovered Wallstreet bets forum on Reddit and definitely got burned a few times there lol 😂. Remember the GME squeeze back in January?

I Dropped 34k(360 shares) at open and in 10 mins made 15k(40%). Then added an extra 60 shares and at the end of the day the stock plummeted and was down $9k overall. The next day the stock ran up again and I sold at breakeven(stupidly) since I couldn’t handle the stress.
Then the stock quadrupled 3 days later lmao.. so I was like f this I am gonna go back in and bought at absolute top of $383( I was pissed because robinhood limited their members to can only buy maximum of 5 shares at that time due to the volatility lol and that turned out to saving my butt).

And yeah I was also playin around with options and shares in blackberry, riot, pltr, sndl, plug, etc and lost around 24k(most of them are from previous profits luckily). After that I said I’m done lol

I also panicked sold Tesla back in March 2021 but luckily was able to get back in in may at similar price. Been slowly DCAing month after month and will keep doing that.

My point is invest in stocks that you believe in and that have good balance sheet and strong fundamentals. When the stock dips you will not be worried and instead buy more.

Attachments

• 872FE3A9-4C2B-451F-AAD9-C2DAD354C7D2.png
    872FE3A9-4C2B-451F-AAD9-C2DAD354C7D2.png
    215 KB · Views: 62
  • 09D8ABA2-944C-4765-9879-9EF2C28CD79D.png
    09D8ABA2-944C-4765-9879-9EF2C28CD79D.png
    161.3 KB · Views: 51
  • A4352AEA-D762-4051-AF5B-E17C4D70CE47.png
    A4352AEA-D762-4051-AF5B-E17C4D70CE47.png
    133.4 KB · Views: 52
Anyone like SARK, the anti ARKK ETF? I opened a position just now.

Members don't see this ad :)
( I was pissed because robinhood limited their members to can only buy maximum of 5 shares at that time due to the volatility lol and that turned out to saving my butt).
I said something similar at the time. I know Robinhood got a LOT of flack for limiting trading but I always supposed they saved a lot of people from losing a lot of money. I can’t say if that was their goal but I wouldn’t be surprised if it was.

I said something similar at the time. I know Robinhood got a LOT of flack for limiting trading but I always supposed they saved a lot of people from losing a lot of money. I can’t say if that was their goal but I wouldn’t be surprised if it was.

I remember reading one of the hedge funds that was losing to the GME squeeze was Robinhood's biggest client.

A ton of people lost money cause RH blocked buys and only allowed selling as the price tanked.

He did start this thread after all, the greatest thread in SDN pharmacy forum history. These instabans are kinda harsh. People should be given a second/third chance before being permanently banned

On another note, does anyone have large cap growth index in 401k or do you guys stick with a plain total stock market/S&P/large cap index?

He did start this thread after all, the greatest thread in SDN pharmacy forum history. These instabans are kinda harsh. People should be given a second/third chance before being permanently banned

On another note, does anyone have large cap growth index in 401k or do you guys stick with a plain total stock market/S&P/large cap index?
My Vanguard 401k is 100% in VIIIX (tracks the S&P 500)

It wasn’t an instaban. He was given WAY more than 3 warnings.

AAPL is the way to go now. They will probably be the only player competing with Tesla in the electric car market in 5-10 yrs.

AAPL is the way to go now. They will probably be the only player competing with Tesla in the electric car market in 5-10 yrs.
I agree that Tesla is leading the pack and will continue to do so, since EVs are their thing…

But how close is apple to producing EVs? Last I heard they’re still in R&D? I know a lot can happen in 5-10 years, but you really see them leapfrogging all of the traditional auto makers, who are already producing actual EVs?

I agree that Apple is the way to go, or Microsoft. Those two have been 1a and 1b for 20 years.

Tesla is clearly the leader of EVs, but how many people can afford a Tesla? Nearly everyone in the world with disposable income has their own iPhone or uses Windows. Not everyone needs or wants a $40k+ vehicle. One of my richest friends still drives a 2005 Mustang that he bought for $5k used over a decade ago. So to someone like him, he would never be a Tesla customer. But he gets a new iPhone or laptop every few years.

Isn't gen Z moving away from owning vehicles? I heard less people are getting their driver's license. Many people in places like NYC don't even know how to drive. They prefer to use Uber.

Tesla is clearly the leader of EVs, but how many people can afford Tesla?

Good question… and when apple finally introduces the “iCar” how affordable do you think they’ll be?

Or do you think apple’s EV might actually be an affordable alternative to Tesla and others?

I’m really not hating on apple, just playing devils advocate. I’m an iPhone user, and I wouldn’t trust an apple car (yet).

I agree that Apple is the way to go, or Microsoft. Those two have been 1a and 1b for 20 years.

Tesla is clearly the leader of EVs, but how many people can afford a Tesla? Nearly everyone in the world with disposable income has their own iPhone or uses Windows. Not everyone needs or wants a $40k+ vehicle. One of my richest friends still drives a 2005 Mustang that he bought for $5k used over a decade ago. So to someone like him, he would never be a Tesla customer. But he gets a new iPhone or laptop every few years.

Isn't gen Z moving away from owning vehicles? I heard less people are getting their driver's license. Many people in places like NYC don't even know how to drive. They prefer to use Uber.
Tesla did not have the model 3 (cheapest model) 12+ yrs ago. I think there will be even cheaper models (< 35k) in a few yrs.

Your richest friend is wise,. Most Americans aren't, and want to keep up with the Jones.

I would not be be shocked if AAPL share reaches $1000 by 2026-27.

Tesla was founded in 2003 yet they have only been profitable recently. The challenge is being able to MANUFACTURE and SCALE. I think the company almost went bankrupt twice. I agree that AAPL and MSFT are amazing companies... but nowhere close to TSLA when it comes to manufacturing cars.

In 5-10 years I'd expect TSLA's numbers of car production continue to rise and price to drop. They want to make their cars affordable to the masses.

Good question… and when apple finally introduces the “iCar” how affordable do you think they’ll be?

Or do you think apple’s EV might actually be an affordable alternative to Tesla and others?

I’m really not hating on apple, just playing devils advocate. I’m an iPhone user, and I wouldn’t trust an apple car (yet).

I don't know why Apple wants to make an EV to be honest. They're doing fine without one.

Tesla was founded in 2003 yet they have only been profitable recently. The challenge is being able to MANUFACTURE and SCALE. I think the company almost went bankrupt twice. I agree that AAPL and MSFT are amazing companies... but nowhere close to TSLA when it comes to manufacturing cars.

In 5-10 years I'd expect TSLA's numbers of car production continue to rise and price to drop. They want to make their cars affordable to the masses.

My point is EV is a niche market. You have old ladies using iPhones but they won't be buying a Tesla. Boomers don't want to change, my neighbor just bought a 67 Shelby GT replica. I'm the only one on my block who uses an electric lawnmower. They see that it's quiet, has no emissions, and no maintenance. Yet none of them have upgraded, they still use their loud, stinky, high maintenance gas lawnmowers. They also scoff at solar panels.

So you have millennials and gen Z left, who mostly can't afford an EV. I just don't see the need for the masses to buy a new luxury car. Toyota sold 10mil vehicles last year, will Tesla sell that many in 5-10 years? You can get a new Corolla for under 20k or a used one for under 5k and it will last many years. Heck I'm still driving a 12 year old Accord, I never felt the need to upgrade.

Last edited:
I don't know why Apple wants to make an EV to be honest. They're doing fine without one.

My point is EV is a niche market. You have old ladies using iPhones but they won't be buying a Tesla. Boomers don't want to change, my neighbor just bought a 67 Shelby GT replica. I'm the only one on my block who uses an electric lawnmower. They see that it's quiet, has no emissions, and no maintenance. Yet none of them have upgraded, they still use their loud, stinky, high maintenance gas lawnmowers. They also scoff at solar panels.

So you have millennials and gen Z left, who mostly can't afford an EV. I just don't see the need for the masses to buy a new luxury car. Toyota sold 10mil vehicles last year, will Tesla sell that many in 5-10 years? You can get a new Corolla for under 20k or a used one for under 5k and it will last many years. Heck I'm still driving a 12 year old Accord, I never felt the need to upgrade.
These millennials will be 40+ with money in the next 10+ yrs. AAPL will be the stock (along my S&P500 index) that got me completely retired in 10 yrs.

We'll see how it goes in 10 years :) Also.. gas prices ain't getting cheaper nowadays..

We'll see how it goes in 10 years :) Also.. gas prices ain't getting cheaper nowadays..

All of those legacy car makers will give Tesla competition which makes me more hesitant to go big at current valuation.

Reactions: 3 users
Tesla was founded in 2003 yet they have only been profitable recently.
I think I am a pretty big Tesla bear, especially since the valuation is nonsensical, but I actually think that is a bit unfair. They poured all their cash into growing their business, which has been a successful strategy for them. They almost certainly could have booked profit much earlier if they were content with being a small niche manufacturer.

I must be in a contrarian mode tonight because I wonder when gas prices got cheaper in the past and if the price for electricity is getting lower currently.

I must be in a contrarian mode tonight because I wonder when gas prices got cheaper in the past and if the price for electricity is getting lower currently.

My electric bill goes up every year, but sometimes gas costs less each year. I remember it was $2/gal like a year ago, and even $1/gal when Obama was in office.

TSLA under 1k again. Are you guys buying?

My electric bill goes up every year, but sometimes gas costs less each year. I remember it was $2/gal like a year ago, and even $1/gal when Obama was in office.
Uhh doesn’t gas prices being lower last year and lower when Obama was in office indicate that they go up year over year? I don’t recall them ever going down except as they fluctuate day to day or month to month.

Also I do not think gas was $2/gallon last year. Perhaps you meant below $3 or in the 2s, which may be accurate. Likely the same for Obama-era gas (which of course would mean an 8 year period), I doubt gas was ever $1/gallon then but maybe 1.xx/gallon.

I remember when gas was less than $1/gallon, although I don’t recall if I ever bought it for that cheap.

“The best explanation for the good ole days is a bad memory”

Uhh doesn’t gas prices being lower last year and lower when Obama was in office indicate that they go up year over year? I don’t recall them ever going down except as they fluctuate day to day or month to month.

Also I do not think gas was $2/gallon last year. Perhaps you meant below $3 or in the 2s, which may be accurate. Likely the same for Obama-era gas (which of course would mean an 8 year period), I doubt gas was ever $1/gallon then but maybe 1.xx/gallon.

I remember when gas was less than $1/gallon, although I don’t recall if I ever bought it for that cheap.

“The best explanation for the good ole days is a bad memory”

I actually have photos from my phone LoL. It was 1.49 in my area last year.

You are right, it was never $1 since the Clinton days. However gas was 1.99 in my area in 2015. So it did go from 3.XX in the early 2010s to 1.99 in 2015 to 1.49 in 2020 in some places.

Attachments

• img_2_1639150484438.jpg
    img_2_1639150484438.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 39
  • img_1_1639150414129.jpg
    img_1_1639150414129.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 33
I actually have photos from my phone LoL. It was 1.49 in my area last year.

You are right, it was never $1 since the Clinton days. However gas was 1.99 in my area in 2015. So it did go from 3.XX in the early 2010s to 1.99 in 2015 to 1.49 in 2020 in some places.
Wow $1.49 is great! I stand corrected.

As for the rest, are those prices from the same time of year? Or comparing the high of one year to the low of a different year?

I mean it’s no secret that it trends up over time. I don’t think anyone expects the price to go down and stay down over time.

Wow $1.49 is great! I stand corrected.

As for the rest, are those prices from the same time of year? Or comparing the high of one year to the low of a different year?

I mean it’s no secret that it trends up over time. I don’t think anyone expects the price to go down and stay down over time.

Not sure I just don't remember gas being above $4 except for maybe a short spike after hurricane Katrina, and below $2 was always a big deal so i think around $3 was average the rest of the time.

My electric bill gradually goes up every year though.

TSLA under 1k again. Are you guys buying?
TSLA will have some competition and I think a company like AAPL with a big balance sheet will be in a great position to compete with them.

TSLA will have some competition and I think a company like AAPL with a big balance sheet will be in a great position to compete with them.

Do you like MSFT? I see a lot of people own both AAPL and MSFT.

Do you like MSFT? I see a lot of people own both AAPL and MSFT.
I could see a steadily increase in MSFT. I dont see a big upswing like I see in AAPL. I have 10% of my stock portfolio in Zillow. Maybe it should be in MSFT.

I could see a steadily increase in MSFT. I dont see a big upswing like I see in AAPL. I have 10% of my stock portfolio in Zillow. Maybe it should be in MSFT.

Zillow seems so random to me in a two fund portfolio.

Zillow seems so random to me in a two fund portfolio.
It is. I just want to believe it will go back to being $200/share again.

My portfolio is pretty much physical real estate, S&P index, AAPL, and 10% of Zillow as a play money.

It is. I just want to believe it will go back to being $200/share again.

My portfolio is pretty much physical real estate, S&P index, AAPL, and 10% of Zillow as a play money.

I'd replace Zillow with MSFT for sure since you already have real estate. Or BTC/ETH but wait for them to reverse.

I bought more VTI. I wish I went bigger in SARK.

Reactions: 2 users