The Investment Thread (stocks, bonds, real estate, retirement, just not gold)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Nice earnings report today. Can always count on AAPL.
I bought a few shares today.

As I said, I am all in. Hope to get 150-175 shares by year end.

Members don't see this ad.

so I recently bought $40,000 in ibonds at a guaranteed rate of 7.12% for 6 months. This is essentially my emergency fund (but can't touch it for a year - but I have other assets to tap if I needed).
10k each for me and my wife in December and January.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
so I recently bought $40,000 in ibonds at a guaranteed rate of 7.12% for 6 months. This is essentially my emergency fund (but can't touch it for a year - but I have other assets to tap if I needed).
10k each for me and my wife in December and January.

I thought about doing ibonds, but I ended up just putting it into USDC (a crypto that mirrors the US dollar) instead. The company I store it with gives 14% APY, with 3 month lock-ins. Besides that, I didn't want yet another place I'd have to keep track of where my money was.

yup - I just put $3k in my wife and I's - debating putting the rest in now, or wait and see.

I put in 6k when SP500 was 445. I would have put in more when it was 420/430, but the bank had issues and couldn't transfer quickly enough. My wife retains the belief that it could go lower, but a 10% decrease is nothing to scoff at. Maybe it'll dip back to 420/430 again though.

yup - I just put $3k in my wife and I's - debating putting the rest in now, or wait and see.

Just deposit it all in and leave as cash or similar if you don't want to invest it right away. Always good to have dry powder.

How quickly sentiment has changed! AMD up 30% since Friday, crazy. Google went nuts. Maybe Amazon is next?

I put in 6k when SP500 was 445. I would have put in more when it was 420/430, but the bank had issues and couldn't transfer quickly enough. My wife retains the belief that it could go lower, but a 10% decrease is nothing to scoff at. Maybe it'll dip back to 420/430 again though.

I'm sure there will be more buying opportunities. They haven't even hiked any rates yet. Aren't there 4 scheduled rate hikes this year? Seems like people scream market crash every 3 months LoL.

I'm sure there will be more buying opportunities. They haven't even hiked any rates yet. Aren't there 4 scheduled rate hikes this year? Seems like people scream market crash every 3 months LoL.
This is why I can’t listen to Jim Cramer or anyone who pretends to know what’s going on with the market. Literally no one knows and it’s just stories we tell each other to make it make sense.

Reactions: 1 users
I was thinking the other day that I should take out 100k from one of my investment properties and invest it in AAPL.

Do you plan to get any other stocks? Any of the recent mega cap dips would have been good buys. GOOG under 2600, MSFT under 275, AMZN under 2800, FB under 240 (debatable).

Do you plan to get any other stocks? Any of the recent mega cap dips would have been good buys. GOOG under 2600, MSFT under 275, AMZN under 2800, FB under 240 (debatable).
I don't plan to buy any others. Maybe be GOOG

Last edited:
Man with gas and energy prices where they are and where they are likely headed I am happier than ever to have solar panels and a plug in hybrid. I suspect transition to electric will accelerate even faster.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm about to sell this Cadillac XTS I inherited while it's still worth like $30,000. 18mpg ain't it. I'm starting to drive my plug in Fusion more because of it.

Time to get an EV or PHEV and solar panels. The price for those are jacked up now too.

What plays Re: electrification are you all liking?

What plays Re: electrification are you all liking?

POAHY is a good price now IMO, low PE ratio and they sell the most vehicles after Toyota. It's a holding company with part ownership and voting rights to Volkswagen, Porsche, Seat, Audi, Skoda, Bugatti, Bentley, Lamborghini, Ducati, Scania, MAN, and Volkswagen commercial vehicles. It's pretty confusing with all the VW/Porsche stocks (VWAGY, VWAPY, POAHY, POAHF etc) but from what I read, POAHY is the best value in terms of investing in VW/Porsche as an EV play. Porsche will IPO later on which investors are bullish about. The stock has been beaten down because they have plants in Russia.

For American I'd go with Ford. The F-150 Lightning is unique with its two way charging and giant frunk. Contractors will definitely buy this EV over any others. I can see soccer mom SUV families buying this as well, it's so practical compared to a regular SUV.

Last edited:
It's such a freeing feeling to drive by a gas station and not give one damn about the price of gasoline.

Fed just announced First round of interest rate hikes - BBB agenda is not going well.

I dunno about you guys but I’m all out including my quick money swing trades. My understanding is that this is just round one of interest rate hikes. There is still money to be made and there will likely be green upswings in response to the large dips - but, I’m predicting a macro downtrend for the next 6-8 months.

I’m sitting out for a while. People are out of money and foresee a very financially difficult year. The grocery store is sapping everyone of money unless you are on govt assistance

Also - professional salaries have not increased in response to inflation. The floor for minimum wage/entry level has increased significantly. Those of us making a professional wage are making about 10% less than we were a year ago today. Don’t forget that professionals hold the majority of shares in the stock market, outside of institutions of course.

The bulls are becoming exhausted and can’t hold the floor unless the powers that be infuse the economy with trillions once again

Above is my January 5th statement

We are getting there…. I’m starting to feel a sentiment change but I’m still not willing to buy - just yet…. I would say we are about 60% in this bear market.

For me - I am eyeing Roblox stock when I jump back in.

Above is my January 5th statement

We are getting there…. I’m starting to feel a sentiment change but I’m still not willing to buy - just yet…. I would say we are about 60% in this bear market.

For me - I am eyeing Roblox stock when I jump back in.

What's so great about RBLX? Didn't they lose a ton of money last earnings report? I feel like less kids will play it as they get older, Covid cases go down and the weather gets warmer. 23bil market cap seems crazy to me but I've accepted the market is illogical.

Last edited:
Anyone will get AMZN before the spit?

Will try to acquire 5 shares before split.

Anyone will get AMZN before the spit?

Will try to acquire 5 shares before split.
Yup - DCAing daily

Upcoming splits:
-Amazon 20:1 split "Shareholders of record at the close of business on May 27, 2022, will receive an additional 19 shares of stock for each share they own on or about June 3, and shares will begin trading on a split-adjusted basis on June 6."

-Google 20:1 split: "Stockholders of record at the close of business on July 1, 2022, will each receive an additional 19 shares of stock for each share they own on or about July 15, and shares will begin trading at their split-adjusted price on July 18."

Yup - DCAing daily

Upcoming splits:
-Amazon 20:1 split "Shareholders of record at the close of business on May 27, 2022, will receive an additional 19 shares of stock for each share they own on or about June 3, and shares will begin trading on a split-adjusted basis on June 6."

-Google 20:1 split: "Stockholders of record at the close of business on July 1, 2022, will each receive an additional 19 shares of stock for each share they own on or about July 15, and shares will begin trading at their split-adjusted price on July 18."

TSLA too. But way overvalued IMO.

And GME LoL.

So do you sell after the split or do you hold?

TTD, NVDA, TSLA, AAPL are all higher now than when they split in 2020-21. I would just hold if you like the company.

Ouch you're down 20% of 30k 😫I think Tesla falls back under 600 this year.
I sold some to pay off margin but still held 😎

Attachments

• BB2E2C84-7D89-409F-85A2-672F684E3365.jpeg
    BB2E2C84-7D89-409F-85A2-672F684E3365.jpeg
    62.1 KB · Views: 66
Reactions: 1 users
I actually like CVS right here. Trading below 9x consensus EPS. I think the Aetna integration was a good move and will payoff big in the long run. Plus the dividend yield is not to bad at 3.07%. Bought 300 shares at $65 yesterday.

Also bought 250 shares of JPM at $94 a few days ago.

Both long term holds.
Sold CVS today at 106.

77% total gain including dividends.

23.5% annualized.

Reactions: 2 users
Sold CVS today at 106.

23.5% annualized.
Congrats…I probably would have cashed out or sold a covered call long before now. That is my biggest flaw as an investor. I seem to be able to identify undervalued stocks but settle for base on balls rather than staying in the box to hit a double or triple.

It’s going to be even harder in med school when I don’t have to worry about tax brackets and what not.

Sold CVS today at 106.

23.5% annualized.

Wow great job. I held that bag for 5 years and gave up in 2020. Luckily put the money in NIO and PLTR and made out well. Haven't had much luck since then though.

Some other purchases of undervalued stocks I've made recently that I expect to at least double within 12-24 months:

AMWD at 47
CAL at 19
PLCE at 49
BGCP at 3.95
BERY at 57
GFF at 18

Anyone here in Netflix?

Any buyers?

Netflix has been a blue chip stock for awhile now…. But they were basically the first streaming service on the block… but now with so many others, don’t you think all the competition is starting to catch up with them?

Netflix has been a blue chip stock for awhile now…. But they were basically the first streaming service on the block… but now with so many others, don’t you think all the competition is starting to catch up with them?
They lost 25 percent of their value after hours. Does that seem proportional? To me it seems like an overreaction…or a correction for being overvalued.

They lost 25 percent of their value after hours. Does that seem proportional? To me it seems like an overreaction…or a correction for being overvalued.

Did you see *why* the stock dropped 25% though?
  • Shares of Netflix cratered more than 25% on Tuesday after the company reported a loss of 200,000 subscribers during the first quarter.
  • It's the first time the streamer has reported a subscriber loss in more than a decade.
Perhaps it’s an overreaction, but that’s a lot of subscribers and a disturbing new trend. How many of those people can they lure back? How many *new* subscribers can they attract?

Not saying you’re wrong, just playing devil’s advocate.