The Investment Thread (stocks, bonds, real estate, retirement, just not gold)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
Hhhmmm I wonder if TSLA will split their stocks this summer into 20:1... that'd be awesome..

Why would they make it so low? 20:1 makes sense for AMZN and GOOG cause they're over 2k a piece.

Hhhmmm I wonder if TSLA will split their stocks this summer into 20:1... that'd be awesome..
Rumors are that you're correct.

Sorry but I'm just not impressed with Tesla at all, I don't understand the hype. My relatives sold their Model Y cause it was a nightmare to take a road trip to Canada. They had to plan their route and make time for charging which was a pain, plus the range anxiety. Tesla says it gets 300+ miles of range but those numbers are exaggerated. Tesla is the only car manufacturer that doesn't use EPA rated battery range, they make up their numbers to make it sound better. If you watch YouTube videos there are real world tests that show Ford Mach E has longer real world range than Model Y, even though Mach E is rated less by EPA. If it's cold, if you use the heat/AC, if you drive on the highway, or have passengers then range drops significantly. The battery technology just isn't there.

They bought a Toyota Hylander and the ride is so much smoother and quiet. Model Y is loud and you can feel every little bump in the road, very uncomfortable. The seats do not feel like a luxury vehicle. I guess if you live somewhere with perfect roads then it's fine, but here in New England there's potholes everywhere so the ride is terrible. All of the sound bounces off the glass roof making a very loud ride. My wife preferred to ride as a passenger in our Honda CR-V than their Model Y because the Honda was way more comfortable. All of this technology and Tesla couldn't even put good shocks in their vehicles.

I'm not being a hater, I just don't get the hype. I guess people like to spend more money on a brand name just to show off even if the product is inferior, like those Yeezy shoes or Chanel purses? Tesla software and charging stations are good but the build quality is way more inferior than other EVs.

If I wanted to spend that much money on an EV then I'd get the Volvo XC40 which is thousands of dollars less. Seats are so much more comfortable, the ride is smooth as butter and you don't hear any road noise at all. But again it's an EV so the range anxiety is still there.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: 1 user
Just spent 3k on AMZN. Will spend another 6k in 2 wks.

Now I am all in both AAPL and AMZN.

I have a reverse idea for May. Conventional wisdom says, “sell in may and stay away”.

This year I have a new idea…

“Buy in May, and stay and play”.

My haphazard, high risk, attempt to time the market says that I will sell on, or about, May 15th-20th. Last night I exercised my amateur technical analysis skills and my crystal ball said this to me.

I’m talking about my Roblox stock I bought at approximately 29 bucks on the 28th of April. I’m banking on a positive earnings call since the stock is so cheap at this point. I do believe EPS will be positive. If it’s not - I will be eating my foot and likely take a loss.

Last edited:
I have limited amount of $$$ and these stocks are 'expensive'.

Are people here keeping an eye on the housing market?

Can't you just buy fractional shares if you want both? They'll still split 20:1.

I check the Zestimate for my house every week and it always goes up. It's annoying cause that just means I'll pay more property taxes. Not going anywhere for at least 20 years.

Can't you just buy fractional shares if you want both? They'll still split 20:1.

I check the Zestimate for my house every week and it always goes up. It's annoying cause that just means I'll pay more property taxes. Not going anywhere for at least 20 years.
Main goal is to have 5+ shares of AMZN before the spit and accumulating 150+ AAPL shares by the end of the year while maximizing both my and spouse 401k and IRA

I also would like to add another property to my portfolio early next year or as least by June 2023.

The housing market is crazy. It seems like there is no end in sight. I just purchased a brand new home (3 months to build) about a week ago, and couple of days after I was under contract, the builder increased the price by 10k. These few homes that are listed 10k above what I purchased mine are already sold out. It's crazy!

Members don't see this ad :)
Main goal is to have 5+ shares of AMZN before the spit and accumulating 150+ AAPL shares by the end of the year while maximizing both my and spouse 401k and IRA

I also would like to add another property to my portfolio early next year or as least by June 2023.

The housing market is crazy. It seems like there is no end in sight. I just purchased a brand new home (3 months to build) about a week ago, and couple of days after I was under contract, the builder increased the price by 10k. These few homes that are listed 10k above what I purchased mine are already sold out. It's crazy!

It's crazy cause houses are selling over the Zestimates too. This one sold for 147k over Zestimate, 200k over list price. Not even a good school district.

It's crazy cause houses are selling over the Zestimates too. This one sold for 147k over Zestimate, 200k over list price. Not even a good school district.

This is insane! I just purchased the same square footage (new construction) for 280k in a small city (or town) in the southeast. I would like to know who are buying these million $$$ homes. I don't know if I can stomach paying 6k/month mortgage payment even if I was making 600k/yr,

This is insane! I just purchased the same square footage (new construction) for 280k in a small city (or town) in the southeast. I would like to know who are buying these million $$$ homes. I don't know if I can stomach paying 6k/month mortgage payment even if I was making 600k/yr,
There's a lot of high paying jobs in the Boston area. Biotech, software, defense, doctors etc. Or maybe people got rich from stocks/crypto in the past decade.

Sorry but I'm just not impressed with Tesla at all, I don't understand the hype. My relatives sold their Model Y cause it was a nightmare to take a road trip to Canada. They had to plan their route and make time for charging which was a pain, plus the range anxiety. Tesla says it gets 300+ miles of range but those numbers are exaggerated. Tesla is the only car manufacturer that doesn't use EPA rated battery range, they make up their numbers to make it sound better. If you watch YouTube videos there are real world tests that show Ford Mach E has longer real world range than Model Y, even though Mach E is rated less by EPA. If it's cold, if you use the heat/AC, if you drive on the highway, or have passengers then range drops significantly. The battery technology just isn't there.

They bought a Toyota Hylander and the ride is so much smoother and quiet. Model Y is loud and you can feel every little bump in the road, very uncomfortable. The seats do not feel like a luxury vehicle. I guess if you live somewhere with perfect roads then it's fine, but here in New England there's potholes everywhere so the ride is terrible. All of the sound bounces off the glass roof making a very loud ride. My wife preferred to ride as a passenger in our Honda CR-V than their Model Y because the Honda was way more comfortable. All of this technology and Tesla couldn't even put good shocks in their vehicles.

I'm not being a hater, I just don't get the hype. I guess people like to spend more money on a brand name just to show off even if the product is inferior, like those Yeezy shoes or Chanel purses? Tesla software and charging stations are good but the build quality is way more inferior than other EVs.

If I wanted to spend that much money on an EV then I'd get the Volvo XC40 which is thousands of dollars less. Seats are so much more comfortable, the ride is smooth as butter and you don't hear any road noise at all. But again it's an EV so the range anxiety is still there.
This Finnish man, and friends, chose to blow up his Tesla rather than spend 20,000 Euros (approximately $22,000) to replace the battery. Enjoy.

I actually came here to say that U.S. Savings Bonds, series I, are currently paying 9.62%. They must be purchased online, and setting up a new account requires some jumping through hoops, but it's better than, for instance, stuffing it under your mattress.

On the advice of one Clark Howard, I bought some back in my working days, and am not sorry I did.

This Finnish man, and friends, chose to blow up his Tesla rather than spend 20,000 Euros (approximately $22,000) to replace the battery. Enjoy.

I heard about that. I have nothing against the company or their products, I just think they're overpriced, overrated and overhyped. I feel the same about Apple products, I would never spend more than $350 on a phone. But at least their stock price is fairly valued.

To each his own 😊…I guess

I never personally been inside a Tesla before but my bro always tells me how much he loves his car. He did mention that the interior quality is a bit subpar compared to a Japanese/European car but he just loves the technology so much. I personally will never buy a Tesla car. I like japanese cars (I own a Lexus). It’s the most reliable car ever 😄

The reason why I’m all in on TSLA.

1. Elon Musk( he is crazy and has his tantrums but he is an amazing executor)
2. Tesla sells out their cars quarter after quarter. Their growth is insane. Waitlist is 4-6 months and sometimes longer.
3. Robotaxi and FSD

If any of their fundamentals change I have no problem selling the stocks and put my $$ somewhere else.

Btw I loveeee apple products and I have MacBook, newest iPhone, AirPods, etc. I don’t own any of their stocks though 😂

That is legit insane for that sq footage.

Got my house for 1/3 that price, and more than 2x the sq footage. Makes me never want to move.

So here is my question about Tesla, all these crazy price predictions are based on robotaxis being so profitable. Uber (-11% after hours) and Lyft (-37% after hours) are struggling so how will Tesla be so profitable with their version if Uber and Lyft can't even profit?

Well thank god for a little market pop yesterday and a half-point raise as we expected.

Attachments

• mgid_arc_imageassetref_shared.southpark.us.jpeg
    mgid_arc_imageassetref_shared.southpark.us.jpeg
    60.1 KB · Views: 43
  • Haha
Reactions: 1 users
U.S. Savings Bonds, series I, are paying 9.62% right now.

Clark Howard praised them highly on his old radio show, and I'm sure glad I bought some back in my working days.

Guess I should have sold Apple when I was up 20%.

I'm waiting for SPY 350-380 before buying anything.

I think it's time to load on more AAPL.

If I was not in the process of buying a house now, I would have started purchasing 1-2k of AAPL every week.

It's looking like Bill Gates, Michael Burry and Warren Buffet were right.

How were they right? anything they said.

Gates - shorted Tesla.

Burry - he's been calling for a market crash for over a year.

Buffet - he's always been a crypto hater. Said crypto is not a tangible asset and doesn't produce anything.

www.cnbc.com/amp/2022/04/30/warren-buffett-gives-his-most-expansive-explanation-for-why-he-doesnt-believe-in-bitcoin.html

I think I should have sold Tesla when I was up 60% 😂

Market not looking good. I’m thinking of selling at break even and hold cash for the next couple of months…

• Wow
I think I should have sold Tesla when I was up 60% 😂

Market not looking good. I’m thinking of selling at break even and hold cash for the next couple of months…

Yep back to reality it seems. Maybe this relief rally will last a while.

Don’t care what happens. I have like 13 shares of Tesla which I am holding for next 20 years. If it goes to zero which I don’t think it will, so be it.

Anyone think real estate will crash? I've been saving up for an investment property but not sure if it's the best time to buy.

Anyone think real estate will crash? I've been saving up for an investment property but not sure if it's the best time to buy.
I don't think it will. Things will just eventually stabilize .

U.S. Savings Bonds, series I, are paying 9.62% right now.

Clark Howard praised them highly on his old radio show, and I'm sure glad I bought some back in my working days.
I’ve been looking into buying some I-bonds actually…might be a decent way to start a college fund for the kids.

I’ve been looking into buying some I-bonds actually…might be a decent way to start a college fund for the kids.
I am not that impressed - the high rate is only locked for six months, after that it will reset to the prevailing rate. If you pull it out between 1-5 years you pay the last 3 months interest as penalty.

I mean it’s not terrible, 9.6ish for 6 months as risk free as it is possible to be is great. But who knows where it will go after that and you have a penalty if you want to liquidate.

Assuming a 10+ year time horizon for this college fund I would stick with VTI in a 529 or something similar. This is what I do for my nephews so my money is where my mouth is on this. ;)

Whatever you choose, good luck!

Elon musk is starting to piss me off lol.. Sold all my position 202 shares at $794. Fed rate hike and weak Q2 is gonna bring it down more it seems like...

I have a reverse idea for May. Conventional wisdom says, “sell in may and stay away”.

This year I have a new idea…

“Buy in May, and stay and play”.

My haphazard, high risk, attempt to time the market says that I will sell on, or about, May 15th-20th. Last night I exercised my amateur technical analysis skills and my crystal ball said this to me.

I’m talking about my Roblox stock I bought at approximately 29 bucks on the 28th of April. I’m banking on a positive earnings call since the stock is so cheap at this point. I do believe EPS will be positive. If it’s not - I will be eating my foot and likely take a loss.

Alright! I just sold out at 34.70 and I stuck to my analysis exactly how I said.

I made just over 2.5k on this one and feeling good about it.

Wonder what happened with BMB and NIO. Did he sell it?

I got burnt by SPRO and ITRM - both had oral carbapenems in the pipeline and last minute got a FDA CRL

Wonder what happened with BMB and NIO. Did he sell it?

No you can find him on Reddit. He was still pumping it in December last year in the 30s and February this year in the 20s. He bought for $2-4 so he'll probably hold forever.