The Investment Thread (stocks, bonds, real estate, retirement, just not gold)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
how do we profit off uneducated rabbits?

housing seems to work...they're too dumb to save a down payment so they all gotta rent

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not a liberal. If you think the government numbers were fraudulent you ARE a paranoid twit. The electoral college IS stupid. No it, ISN'T an original thought. A lot of people think it's stupid. I understand the decay of middle America more than you ever will. Middle America is basically beginning to become West Virginia. I've lived it the majority of my life. Back when everyone just ignored poor white people and laughed at them. Trump isn't the answer. Clinton isn't either, for that matter. But Trump represents authoritarianism. Which should frighten you.

Electoral college is a necessary checks and balance, quit complaining about it. A lot of *****s think its stupid, but then again those same people also thought it was smart to put Hillary up for president with all the baggage she carries.

Considering Trump is the most liberal republican in the White House in ages, things chould actually go pretty well and progress be made.

Electoral college is a necessary checks and balance, quit complaining about it. A lot of *****s think its stupid, but then again those same people also thought it was smart to put Hillary up for president with all the baggage she carries.

Considering Trump is the most liberal republican in the White House in ages, things chould actually go pretty well and progress be made.
Just curious as to what makes you say Trump is liberal? Also, you say the last liberal republican president in ages, who was the last one you refer to?

Maybe you've been living under a rock. A lot of his stances are considered liberal, compared to actual conservative republicans.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=trumps+liberal+policies
Seems to me his views are >90% in line with conservatives...Lift the rock up I've been living under and list me 5 major "liberal" views he holds. I could find a liberal stance or two on just about any republican if i nitpicked enough.

Um guys this is the investment thread

Wag is right. Please limit the discussion to gold and theories about how secret groups control every facet of our lives. You know, stay on topic.

Reactions: 1 users
Epic week in the stock market this week for me. Absolutely crushed it. Played options on biotech names like IONS once Hilary was out of the picture. On Friday had a huge, huge victory with NVDA.
Every single one of my stocks went up big except for my hedge gold stocks.
I played this week using very large position sizes because the momentum was so strong. Slowly taking some profits and scaling out.

Wag is right. Please limit the discussion to gold and theories about how secret groups control every facet of our lives. You know, stay on topic.

I'm getting concerned, there hasn't been a conspiracy theory in 3 days.

Members don't see this ad :)
Any bets for this week? I didn't really buy into anything because I was afraid it could come crashing down at any second.

I make a list of potential plays for the week every week. I then look at the charts and figure out what points I would buy and what my risk/reward ratios are (where would I take profits and place stop losses). Next I set text message alerts so I can buy in a timely manner. Remember that the IBB (biotech ETF) was at 400 last year and is at 288 now. Hilary had a huge effect in keeping those prices depressed, and they still have a lot of room to run.

NVDA is still my biggest name I am watching. Think they will get to 100 (currently at 87) sooner than later. They also announced a dividend which will keep many other investors interested in holding. If NVDA has any pullback to 85 or less I will immediately add some more stock and call options. If it cross 90, I will add a smaller position to sell at 99. If overall market (S&P) is down, I will much more cautious with my trading. NVDA is looking like the APPL of 2009. I bought some at 33 just 9 months ago and it almost tripled, but based on the growth rates this thing can run much much higher.

Biotech: I am still playing the IBB ETF. From there, I have several companies I am watching. IONS, RIGL, GWPH, REGN, ARIA. Some of these have already moved quite a bit, so I will only go big on things going out of a proper base.

Other areas to watch: All infrastructure stocks like Caterpillar, defense stocks, bank stocks. Any trump themed stocks. Gotta do your research and buy at the right level. Buy a stock as it either passes a prior resistance level, or bounces off a support level. Never buy in between.

Last edited:
How do you find support/resistance? I'm pretty new to stocks etc. I've done OK overall this year but ive made some mistakes as well

You will always make mistakes in the stock market, it is based on greed and panic. Those emotions will always cause people to make mistakes. Support & resistance can be explained in many ways. Resistance is generally a price level where the stock pauses and and hits more than 1 time without going higher. It also depends on what time-frame you are looking at. Support is the inverse of resistance-- stocks are often supported by moving price averages. NVDA followed the 50-day line perfectly this year. If you just added on at the 50-day (bright orange line below) moving average you would have killed it this year. check out investors business daily (investors.com), they have a few tutorials on this stuff. I like Investors Business Daily-- especially for finding stocks with good technicals and fundamentals at the same time-- but I use other parameters for trading as well.
upload_2016-11-13_16-49-57.png

I hate to break it it you, but Clinton won the popular vote. The US is getting a president the majority of voters did not want. Trump is the president because of an archaic system drawn up when it took people a week to travel in order to vote. So you can just back that whole "this is what America REALLY wants" nonsense the fudge up.

And she isn't a member of the "progressive liberal movement." That would be the Bernie Bros. She's a member of the centrist Democratic establishment. And I'm not a member of her camp, either. I'm a member of a minuscule camp of people that have the audacity to want a rational, mixed economy and an evidence-based government.

News flash, bra. Long term, it doesn't really matter who won. Both candidates are ill equipped. With the coming emergence of AI and automation reducing the value of physical and intellectual human labor to very little, the first world will need a completely new economic paradigm.

I'm not sure what that paradigm will be, but when every retail job is soon to be automated, every truck driver and taxi/uber driver job is about to be automated, every factory job has already been automated...it doesn't take an ace futurist to see the writing on the wall.

And we have these two idiots that think they can magically "bring jobs back." Guess what, they don't exist anymore. Every day the value of human labor decreases. Worker productivity has skyrocketed since the mid-20th century and workers aren't needed as much as they used to be.

Trump isn't going to unite ****. Just like Obama isn't. There are two gigantic groups of idiots that hate each other and until they both go away, it's going to just get worse.

Also, the recovery was real and the job numbers are too, you paranoid twit.

First of all you do realize the United States is a constitutional republic, not a direct democracy. This is because the framers of the constitution actually believed in something called unalienable rights and they were afraid that a majority could and would take these rights away from you. The electoral college exists to give each state representation. Do you think Clinton and Trump would have been campaigning in New Hampshire if it were up to a popular vote? You sound like these pseudo-intellectuals on MSNBC.

Secondly you act as if people actually want Trump to unite with the democrats and work together. Where did you get this idea..? Conservatives who voted for Trump want nothing of the sort, they want Trump to push a conservative and principled agenda. The democrats are already sharpening their knives and will do everything in their power to sabotage his agenda and presidency. They are already making plans to impeach him.

And thirdly Clinton is not a centrist democrat, she is a soft Marxist. Have you ever actually listened to her speak?

If automation is taking over and human labor is so cheap why are companies moving industrial manufacturing jobs to countries with even lower wages? I guess you could answer corporate taxes but guess what... Trump wants to lower that too. Don't get me wrong it will takes ages to bring jobs back into the country and the benefits of these policies probably wouldn't materialize for years, we didn't end up here overnight.

Last edited:
Yup, no one wants a bigot as a president. Only in the US this happened

Trump supports come from uneducated people. We see few of them lurk here...

Trump's Best Counties Tended to be the Least Educated
It shouldn't be surprising that Clinton did well in the most educated counties, which are often urban areas and college towns. She won 55 percent of the vote in counties where at least 40 percent of the population has a college degree. But that actually lagged Obama's performance from four years ago. Trump more than made up for that margin in the least-educated areas, winning 7 in 10 votes in counties where less than 20 percent of the population has a degree. That's a nine-point improvement over Mitt Romney's performance with that group.

Since stupid people multiply like rabbits, we are doomed. They have more votes... and you can't fix stupid. I hope Trump proves us all wrong

Didn't Clinton only outperform Trump by ~6% nationally in terms of those who hold a college degree? If you watched CNN you would have though it was by 50 points. Based on my anecdotal experience I don't think holding a college degree correlates very highly with intelligence anyways.

Up 6.1% YTD, indexed with mid/small tilt and my international allocation is essentially all emerging markets. Haven't made a single active trade.

Didn't Clinton only outperform Trump by ~6% nationally in terms of those who hold a college degree? If you watched CNN you would have though it was by 50 points. Based on my anecdotal experience I don't think holding a college degree correlates very highly with intelligence anyways.

Most of his support come from whites (nationalist) and uneducated mass. Maybe, they are thinking building a wall and treating women like sh1t will bring the jobs back. Who the fu3k knows? But if they can't see what's wrong with our president elect, they are pretty much going to the ***** group.
howtrumpwins.png

Last edited:
Most of his support come from whites (nationalist) and uneducated mass. Maybe, they are thinking building a wall and treating women like sh1t will bring the jobs back. Who the fu3k knows? But if they can't see what's wrong with our president elect, they are pretty much going to the ***** group.
howtrumpwins.png

Yet if you look at college educated white voters Trump actually beat Clinton by 4%, and voters of all races over age 65 (who are naturally less likely to hold a degree) favored Trump by 8%. My point was just to point out that the stereotype of uneducated Trump voters (which implies stupidity) in inaccurate. Not to mention the fact that colleges are essentially liberal cesspools.

Also the figures you posted don't paint the full picture. For example, how many counties even exist where more than 50% of the population hold a bachlor's degree? It can't be very many based on this image which breaks down the election by county.

http://www-personal.umich.edu/~mejn/election/2016/countymaprb1024.png

They can break it down by country and pull randoms thresholds out of their ass to create a certain narrative but at the end of the day Clinton barely beat Trump with college educated voters, and like I said before Trump actually beat Clinton with college educated white voters. So the picture that Trump voters are uneducated rednecks is just a lie.

Last edited:
Yet if you look at college educated white voters Trump actually beat Clinton by 4%, and voters of all races over age 65 (who are naturally less likely to hold a degree) favored Trump by 8%. My point was just to point out that the stereotype of uneducated Trump voters (which implies stupidity) in inaccurate. Not to mention the fact that colleges are essentially liberal cesspools.

Also the figures you posted don't paint the full picture. For example, how many counties even exist where more than 50% of the population hold a bachlor's degree? It can't be very many based on this image which breaks down the election by county.

http://www-personal.umich.edu/~mejn/election/2016/countymaprb1024.png

They can break it down by country and pull randoms thresholds out of their ass to create a certain narrative but at the end of the day Clinton barely beat Trump with college educated voters, and like I said before Trump actually beat Clinton with college educated white voters. So the picture that Trump voters are uneducated rednecks is just a lie.

Barely? Clinton won the by a wide margin on college grads since 1980. http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tan...ps-victory-divisions-by-race-gender-education. There are just too many uneducated people walking, thus giving him the victory.

No, you chose to combine both stats together. I never said so. If you wanna look at specific white people only votes with anything, they are all mostly going to trump (I'm guessing it's due to a lot of hate speech he did and a lot of people still have deep seated racial issues). Remove the race card, he lost big time. This country is not all white people.

Barely? Clinton won the by a wide margin on college grads since 1980. http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tan...ps-victory-divisions-by-race-gender-education. There are just too many uneducated people walking, thus giving him the victory.

No, you chose to combine both stats together. I never said so. If you wanna look at specific white people only votes with anything, they are all mostly going to trump (I'm guessing it's due to a lot of hate speech he did and a lot of people still have deep seated racial issues). Remove the race card, he lost big time. This country is not all white people.

So the point is that Trump wins white educated voters, Clinton wins non-white educated voters. In other words education has nothing to do with this; it's about race.

The people who are the least shielded from economic volatility are those without a college degree, 70% of the country, who work industrial and low skill jobs. You realize that the median salary in the USA is less than half of what you make? You can't honestly be surprised when they vote against a candidate who's policies have chocked economic growth. It's not because uneducated voters are stupid, it's because the work in a different sector than you and have experienced a different economic reality.

It doesn't matter though, no fact will prevent people like you from inferring stupidity based on one stat.

Last edited:

Actually white people have a higher IQ, on average, than Hispanics and blacks. Since white voters voted Trump it means that those who voted for Clinton are actually the stupid ones.

But that's none of my business.

Actually white people have a higher IQ, on average, than Hispanics and blacks. Since white voters voted Trump it means that those who voted for Clinton are actually the stupid ones.

But that's none of my business.
Is this still the investment thread? I'll chime in and say that its interesting there are people saying trump won due to uneducated whites. The only reason Democrats are contenders every year is due to the increasingly gigantic population of uneducated slackers on welfare who are sucking the tit of government and will continue to vote for their hand-me-outs.

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone buy DRYS? I had it on my watch list for months.

Wrong thread you are looking for the why do people care so much about politics thread for investment info.

I hope no one starts balling here when they lose half their wealth since they have no idea how to protect themselves from the upcoming downfall.

Hope you aren't sitting in cash if we end up inflating ourselves out of debt

First of all you do realize the United States is a constitutional republic, not a direct democracy.

This means nothing insofar as the existence of the electoral college.

This is because the framers of the constitution actually believed in something called unalienable rights and they were afraid that a majority could and would take these rights away from you. The electoral college exists to give each state representation. Do you think Clinton and Trump would have been campaigning in New Hampshire if it were up to a popular vote? You sound like these pseudo-intellectuals on MSNBC.

The framers didn't want us to select the president, period. They literally wanted us to select electors The smart, distinguished members of our state, who would then themselves select the president. They were afraid the the general American public would select complete idiots and/or charlatans. Which is pretty much what happens today. It IS a direct democratic vote of actual candidates. with the bizarre inclusion of geographical cohorts. The electoral college as envisioned by the founders is absolutely nothing like what we have. As it stands today, the votes of people in large states are simply worth less than those in small states. Because, again, we are voting for candidates...not people to go to DC and choose the president without the input of the general US public.

And give me a break about the small states not getting attention. The only states that get attention are swing states. States like Rhode Island, Wyoming, or Idaho are already settled and get zero attention.

Secondly you act as if people actually want Trump to unite with the democrats and work together. Where did you get this idea..? Conservatives who voted for Trump want nothing of the sort, they want Trump to push a conservative and principled agenda. The democrats are already sharpening their knives and will do everything in their power to sabotage his agenda and presidency. They are already making plans to impeach him.

So they are basically...doing what he conservatives did since 2008 to Obama? Except Obama wasn't an overt psychopath on the campaign trail. They were just flailing at windmills on that one. Trump was actually spelling out the insane, nonsensical **** he was planning.

And there are some instances where Trump and liberals agree. Sanders and Warren are going to work with him with smiles on their faces when he starts talking about infrastructure spending and pulling the military our of the Middle East.

And thirdly Clinton is not a centrist democrat, she is a soft Marxist. Have you ever actually listened to her speak?

Clinton isn't even close to a "soft Marxist." I'd actually like to see your reaction to a real Marxist. You'd flip your ****. When Clinton starts talking about seizing the means of production and stops giving quarter-million-dollar speeches to Goldman-Sachs, come at me. I'd say it's more like she's a "soft corporatist" with some socialistic views.

If automation is taking over and human labor is so cheap why are companies moving industrial manufacturing jobs to countries with even lower wages?

Because human labor is still cheaper than robotics in some instances. That won't always be the case.[/quote][/QUOTE]

So the point is that Trump wins white educated voters, Clinton wins non-white educated voters. In other words education has nothing to do with this; it's about race.

The people who are the least shielded from economic volatility are those without a college degree, 70% of the country, who work industrial and low skill jobs. You realize that the median salary in the USA is less than half of what you make? You can't honestly be surprised when they vote against a candidate who's policies have chocked economic growth. It's not because uneducated voters are stupid, it's because the work in a different sector than you and have experienced a different economic reality.

It doesn't matter though, no fact will prevent people like you from inferring stupidity based on one stat.

The people didn't elect Trump, the system elected Trump. The uneducated and white factor won him electoral votes. The difference is so large even though Clinton won overall educated voters and minority voters it didn't even matter. There are more factors how rural the counties are, how do you describe yourself (American), middle class income. But, that's just another demographics that share characteristics to whites or non educated population. They tend to be white, in rural areas, with no degree.

Education has a lot to do with how well you are doing in life. He won the election playing the race card and appealing to the uneducated mass as a "outsider who can shake the white house". Somehow that reads as an inexperienced, bigot, sexist, homophobic, and islamophobic, xenophobic. The uneducated buy the outsider hope even though he runs on a platform of hatred and fear. Heck, they swallowed it whole as some of it align to their deep seated beliefs (probably why Romney and McCain didn't get as many votes vs. Obama in this key demographics, these two should've learned from Trump!). Vs. the status quo (Clinton), they hope that their economic misfortune will turn around for the better as long as they put this inexperienced outsider as president. This demographics voted for Trump in droves, they see him as a qualified president to represent USA. The less fortunate in society is paid off with lies about how restriction on immigration will help their lives. Hope by building a wall, making friends with Russia, banning Muslims, treating women like garbage will actually improve their livelihood. This will make America great again.

Hope you aren't sitting in cash if we end up inflating ourselves out of debt

I'm up over 20% in my trading account, I'm doing just fine.

On the other hand, if you index, you are falling behind.

Last edited:
The people didn't elect Trump, the system elected Trump. The uneducated and white factor won him electoral votes. The difference is so large even though Clinton won overall educated voters and minority voters it didn't even matter. There are more factors how rural the counties are, how do you describe yourself (American), middle class income. But, that's just another demographics that share characteristics to whites or non educated population. They tend to be white, in rural areas, with no degree.

Education has a lot to do with how well you are doing in life. He won the election playing the race card and appealing to the uneducated mass as a "outsider who can shake the white house". Somehow that reads as an inexperienced, bigot, sexist, homophobic, and islamophobic, xenophobic. The uneducated buy the outsider hope even though he runs on a platform of hatred and fear. Heck, they swallowed it whole as some of it align to their deep seated beliefs (probably why Romney and McCain didn't get as many votes vs. Obama in this key demographics, these two should've learned from Trump!). Vs. the status quo (Clinton), they hope that their economic misfortune will turn around for the better as long as they put this inexperienced outsider as president. This demographics voted for Trump in droves, they see him as a qualified president to represent USA. The less fortunate in society is paid off with lies about how restriction on immigration will help their lives. Hope by building a wall, making friends with Russia, banning Muslims, treating women like garbage will actually improve their livelihood. This will make America great again.

Trump got less votes than Romney. Democrats simply didn't show up to vote. This is a rejection of Obama's presidency and Clinton's candidacy. It's a rejection of Obamacare and big government.

I do agree that instead of banning muslim immigration we should instead place a temporary ban on all immigration from any country with radial islamic terrorists. It's not muslims we are after, it is radicals. But there is a reason why Trumps position is popular. We must not pander to and accommodate our enemy. This takes us down a dangerous path. Obama is doing exactly that by refusing to even say the words radical islamic terrorist. Why are we pandering to a muslim community who has done nothing? Many of these countries directly fund ISIS.

And everyone in the country knows that open borders increases crime and damages our economy.

A sanctuary city results in this:

http://www.lapdonline.org/all_most_wanted

This means nothing insofar as the existence of the electoral college.

The framers didn't want us to select the president, period. They literally wanted us to select electors The smart, distinguished members of our state, who would then themselves select the president. They were afraid the the general American public would select complete idiots and/or charlatans. Which is pretty much what happens today. It IS a direct democratic vote of actual candidates. with the bizarre inclusion of geographical cohorts. The electoral college as envisioned by the founders is absolutely nothing like what we have. As it stands today, the votes of people in large states are simply worth less than those in small states. Because, again, we are voting for candidates...not people to go to DC and choose the president without the input of the general US public.

And give me a break about the small states not getting attention. The only states that get attention are swing states. States like Rhode Island, Wyoming, or Idaho are already settled and get zero attention.

Whether or not each state is selecting electors or voting directly is not the point, the point is that in either case state sovereignty is preserved. Going to a popular vote would destroy this. Our framers did intend for each state to vote for "electors", so our system is damaged in that regard, but our current system does still preserve state sovereignty which is the underlying principle.

The funny thing is if you throw out the ~3 million illegal alien votes Trump won the popular vote anyways.

Whether or not each state is selecting electors or voting directly is not the point, the point is that in either case state sovereignty is preserved. Going to a popular vote would destroy this. Our framers did intend for each state to vote for "electors", so our system is damaged in that regard, but our current system does still preserve state sovereignty which is the underlying principle.

All it does is allow smaller states to have their votes count more than larger states. I now you are trying as hard as you can to justify it because it helped your guy win, but, seriously, there is no real justification for it.

I'm up over 20% in my trading account, I'm doing just fine.

On the other hand, if you index, you are falling behind.

I index but my balance isn't even worth the trading fees anyways, lol. I did put 1k into my roth IRA last year and traded it up to about 6k in around 2 months but ended up losing all the gains just as quickly - though I was trading leveraged commodities and not stocks. I'd need to become more familiar with sector specific norms in terms of balance sheets, debt, P/E, cashflow, margins, etc before picking individual stocks. Even then my individual stock picks would only make up a designated percentage of my overall holding.

I know a lot of people just swing trade based on headlines and high volatility. If a stock drops 10% it's probably going to recover some of that loss in the coming days; people tend to overreact to earnings reports and headlines. At least that's what I though when I held a few shares of GPRO as the stock price burned to the ground. I guess my rule of thumb (that I somewhat pulled out of thin air) is either wrong or less applicable to small caps.

So how do you actually evaluate a stock? Value or growth? What numbers matter? My impression is that half of the people here just look at the chart for 10 seconds and make some kind of gut feeling decision lmao

I index but my balance isn't even worth the trading fees anyways, lol. I did put 1k into my roth IRA last year and traded it up to about 6k in around 2 months but ended up losing all the gains just as quickly - though I was trading leveraged commodities and not stocks. I'd need to become more familiar with sector specific norms in terms of balance sheets, debt, P/E, cashflow, margins, etc before picking individual stocks. Even then my individual stock picks would only make up a designated percentage of my overall holding.

I know a lot of people just swing trade based on headlines and high volatility. If a stock drops 10% it's probably going to recover some of that loss in the coming days; people tend to overreact to earnings reports and headlines. At least that's what I though when I held a few shares of GPRO as the stock price burned to the ground. I guess my rule of thumb (that I somewhat pulled out of thin air) is either wrong or less applicable to small caps.

So how do you actually evaluate a stock? Value or growth? What numbers matter? My impression is that half of the people here just look at the chart for 10 seconds and make some kind of gut feeling decision lmao

I'm not an advisor I only do this in my spare time so I'm not going to go into detail. What I will say is I'm big on reading the earnings report and I know everything about the stock. If in general there's a weakness, it could be emphasized and downgraded. With dis its espn, gild its hepatitis, sbux its same store sales, etc. A lot of times its better to wait for a pullback to grab your favorite stocks, you may lose out if it never falls but that's ok because in the end of the day its still all about growth potential and revenue which is also the exact reason indexing won't work. Its also the reason banks are soaring. When I see growth in the entire market, I'll add to my index fund and maybe trump will do that. Until we see that growth, we won't be going much higher.

When it comes to looking at charts, for every correct call I can show you an incorrect call so I personally stay away.

I could go on for awhile but that was a good start. You just have to find your own style. A ton of people hate amzn but all those have lost a ton by sitting out. Could amzn finally have reached its peak? Sure but that's why it's extremely important to be able to withstand a pullback without selling and having the cash to add more.

Look at rite aid, every pullback has been easy money, this deal is going through.

When I say I don't look at charts I'm talking about all this fancy lingo you hear, candles, head and shoulders, etc because they are wrong just as much as they are right. Resistance/support levels are great for buying and selling but also important because you don't know just how far it will go if it does break below support. Gold for example, could keep going to 1100, who knows? I know I'm staying away. Disney is stuck between 90 and 100 and Walgreens is stuck around 78 and 84. Buy and sell here. 50 day, 200 day etc moving averages are important if stocks move to far away they generally will come back. There are a ton of stocks that always come back to their moving averages. If you think Facebook continues to grow, its at a screening buy right now. If you think it's slowing down, stay away.

I could go on again but this time I'll stop. In general I have my growth picks and my buy and sell picks.

Last edited:
Anyone buy DRYS? I had it on my watch list for months.

I was too late to buy DRYS but I got the sympathy plays into the other shipping stocks. This was my best week in the market ever. I caught 400% profit in SINO, 200% in TOPS, and 150% in RLOG, which are all shipping stocks.
SINO was hilarious to play, I bought in and out of it 5 times over the course of the week. On Wed, I bought back in at $7 and it was $14 when I woke up. Luckily I cashed it out at $14 because DRYS crashed and all the shippers went back down too. If one wants to play these kind of stocks they need to have some experience-- setting the right stops and profit targets is critical. I originally bought SINO at $2, but there is no way I had the fortitude to hold through the swings that took place on the way to $14. It was all about buying on the dip, selling half at profit target, and trailing up a stop on the second half.

I was too late to buy DRYS but I got the sympathy plays into the other shipping stocks. This was my best week in the market ever. I caught 400% profit in SINO, 200% in TOPS, and 150% in RLOG, which are all shipping stocks.
SINO was hilarious to play, I bought in and out of it 5 times over the course of the week. On Wed, I bought back in at $7 and it was $14 when I woke up. Luckily I cashed it out at $14 because DRYS crashed and all the shippers went back down too. If one wants to play these kind of stocks they need to have some experience-- setting the right stops and profit targets is critical. I originally bought SINO at $2, but there is no way I had the fortitude to hold through the swings that took place on the way to $14. It was all about buying on the dip, selling half at profit target, and trailing up a stop on the second half.

I'm curious what news sources MatCauthon and other people here use, I'm not a big player, really all I look at is marketwatch on occasion. I have play money in AMZN and XIVH which deals with volatility.

I'm curious what news sources MatCauthon and other people here use, I'm not a big player, really all I look at is marketwatch on occasion. I have play money in AMZN and XIVH which deals with volatility.

It all depends on how you want to invest.
stockmarketwatch.com: To look at the pre-market and aftermarket movers. The aim is try to be in the stocks that have the potential to move 20% or more in a short period of time. Biotech clinical trial winners, fda approvals, big earnings announcements, big sector moves (gold, oil, etc).
stocktwits: I use this app a ton to look at all things that I miss from everywhere else. By following the right people and looking at the trending stocks you can find some interesting stuff.
Thinkorswim: Use this as one of my brokerage accounts. I have set up scanners and alerts that sync to the smartphone app. The scanners are a critical tool in this business. Also I use this for charting and for options trading.
Investors.com: Primarily use this to follow momentum stocks, hot IPOs, to see the overall market trend, view the hot sectors, and stocks near a technical buypoint.
Finviz.com: I use this and yahoo finance and thinkorswim to look at press releases, stock filings, etc.

Spent two plus years learning how to trade-- lost a little my first year, made a little my second year, made a whole lot my 3rd year and became much more consistent. There is definitely a learning curve to this stuff but risk protection is the most important thing that needs to be learned. There is a way of analyzing volatile stocks and seeing which ones have the best profit/loss ratio-- without that skill you should just stick to market indexes.

This drop in cvs is laughable, didn't every investor already know they were losing a ton of scripts due to tricare?

Also, why would Walgreens fall, don't they know a ton of those 40 million scripts are coming to us.

Hope someone bought here, easy 7%.

Is this still the investment thread? I'll chime in and say that its interesting there are people saying trump won due to uneducated whites. The only reason Democrats are contenders every year is due to the increasingly gigantic population of uneducated slackers on welfare who are sucking the tit of government and will continue to vote for their hand-me-outs.

Agreed

Percent of welfare recipients who are white / caucasian 16.8 % 11,405,000
Percent of welfare recipients who are black 39.6 % 26,884,000
Percent of welfare recipients who are Hispanic 21.2 % 14,392,000
Percent of welfare recipients who are Asian or Pacific Islander 18 % 12,220,000
Percent of welfare recipients who are Other / Mixed 4.4 % 2,987,000

It's just a fact my liberal friends

Agreed

Percent of welfare recipients who are white / caucasian 16.8 % 11,405,000
Percent of welfare recipients who are black 39.6 % 26,884,000
Percent of welfare recipients who are Hispanic 21.2 % 14,392,000
Percent of welfare recipients who are Asian or Pacific Islander 18 % 12,220,000
Percent of welfare recipients who are Other / Mixed 4.4 % 2,987,000

It's just a fact my liberal friends

Those numbers were from a CATO institute study (i.e. GOP thinktank) that did not include medicaid recipients for whatever reason. There are a LOT of poor white people. My entire hometown is on medicaid and gets SNAP. But if you want those numbers, here's percentage by race for medicaid.

Those numbers were from a CATO institute study (i.e. GOP thinktank) that did not include medicaid recipients for whatever reason. There are a LOT of poor white people. My entire hometown is on medicaid and gets SNAP. But if you want those numbers, here's percentage by race for medicaid.

Yeah it's crazy. Only 16-17% of the population is Hispanic yet they make up 31% of Medicaid. 12% is black yet 19% of Medicaid. White 63% yet only 42% of Medicaid. Nominally white are the majority of Medicaid recipients but if you look at in proportion to the entire population white is the underrepresented represented by a factor of 2-3. That's an insane number.

Yeah it's crazy. Only 16-17% of the population is Hispanic yet they make up 31% of Medicaid. 12% is black yet 19% of Medicaid. White 63% yet only 42% of Medicaid. Nominally white are the majority of Medicaid recipients but if you look at in proportion to the entire population white is the underrepresented represented by a factor of 2-3. That's an insane number.

People will just say that minorities are oppressed or disadvantaged and that is why they are on Medicaid at such higher numbers. Sure, there are challenges for minorities, but when looking at the big picture I don't really think this argument holds up. I'm a minority and actually never knew my parents but I don't feel victimized and think I have done okay so far. I'm sure other's have different opinions but my viewpoint is that the biggest factor in your success is YOU. I think people forget this. This went way off topic.

Up 80k so far... index ftw... 0 effort. That's more than half of my base salary lol

Reactions: 2 users
I'm up 7%! Oh.. that's like 100 dollars for me...

how much is principal for that kind of gain?

He's up approximately 10% give or take a percent so $800k.

Left a lot of money on the table by not investing in banks, industrials, and defense. Could have been up by that in just the past month.