The Investment Thread (stocks, bonds, real estate, retirement, just not gold)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Who is still buying?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

I've temporarily halted non-retirement investing while my wife searches for a job. Too bad because I would have liked to average down on the big dips we've had lately.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've temporarily halted non-retirement investing while my wife searches for a job. Too bad because I would have liked to average down on the big dips we've had lately.

She got laid off?

Members don't see this ad :)
HSA for 2019:
Single 3500 (+50)
Family 7000 (+100)

Don't want to forget the ole HSA... possibly the best investment vehicle we have.

HSA for 2019:
Single 3500 (+50)
Family 7000 (+100)

Don't want to forget the ole HSA... possibly the best investment vehicle we have.
very true - you should max this out before you max out the others - if you use it for medical expenses - no tax (and it is before tax money) - if you don't need it for medical use - after 65 - (I think?) it is just like a 401k

Damn... right before the holidays. Looks like cash is king now.

Who tf care about bitcoins drop?! It’s a bloodbath everywhere you look!

Did the stock market plunge 30% in one week?

ImageUploadedBySDN1542730172.754830.jpg

Again, who cares? That’s not something most of us invest in anyway. Unless you are saying there’s a correlation between the two.

How much money did you invest in these magical coins?

How much money did you invest in these magical coins?

Huh? I already told you I don’t care about shtcoins. Why would I put any money in it? So do you think there’s a correlation between coins and stock market or not? Why do you insist on talking about it?

Huh? I already told you I don’t care about shtcoins. Why would I put any money in it? So do you think there’s a correlation between coins and stock market or not? Why do you insist on talking about it?

Talking about it makes you go crazy for no apparent reason. No skin in the game huh?

Btw, it is now 4300.

Anyone planning on shorting the market?
Hell no, long forever... Even tho it might go down 30% more. I don't care. I'm not a market timer.

You might as well buy and sell frequently if you want to short it.

Hell no, long forever... Even tho it might go down 30% more. I don't care. I'm not a market timer.

You might as well buy and sell frequently if you want to short it.

Are you going to ride out any dips that happen and have cash waiting on the sidelines? Any asset allocation changes? I rebalance my tsp to 70% g fund earlier this year. Smart or dumb, only time will tell.

Talking about it makes you go crazy for no apparent reason. No skin in the game huh?

Btw, it is now 4300.

Good! I hope it drops to 0 so you can stop talking about it. There’s a separate crypto thread for a reason. Post your nonsense there.

Good! I hope it drops to 0 so you can stop talking about it. There’s a separate crypto thread for a reason. Post your nonsense there.

what are you? the Nazi police?

Up 24% for the year on my 401k. Exited the Jan, Mar, and Sept top.
Up 20% on my personal brokerage and 700% on my option account.
2019 is gonna be one choppy choppy year. Looking for a temporary bottom around SPY 235-245.

Reactions: 1 user
2019 is gonna be one choppy choppy year. Looking for a temporary bottom around SPY 235-245.

Very nice! what is your method of trading options? You buy calls/puts?

I also had a very good year this year! Up over 50% on my retirement/brokerage account (I invest stocks and ETFs in this account) and way up on my options account! too The marijuana stocks really helped the bottom line this year-- last year it was the bitcoin stocks. 2018 could have been much stronger for me if I hadn't made a few epic mistakes. That said, I am ok with everything that happened this year!

SPY 235 will mark a 20% pullback and an official recession-- that will be very interesting to see this. The volatility in the market is forcing me to be primarily a day trader and a 1-3 day swing trader right now.

did you exit any tops in 2017?

What's the stock market? I never even heard of this! I'm a country bumpkin from the mid west
Investments? huh? I thought my edumacation was enougf

I also had a very good year this year! Up over 50% on my retirement/brokerage account (I invest stocks and ETFs in this account) and way up on my options account! too The marijuana stocks really helped the bottom line this year-- last year it was the bitcoin stocks. 2018 could have been much stronger for me if I hadn't made a few epic mistakes. That said, I am ok with everything that happened this year!

SPY 235 will mark a 20% pullback and an official recession-- that will be very interesting to see this. The volatility in the market is forcing me to be primarily a day trader and a 1-3 day swing trader right now.

Agree. I’m a daytrader so I used weekly and monthly for the overarching bear or bullish tone/trend. I used 50/200 ma along with other supports. I use td9 system as well. Basic support/resistance. Keep it simple. Love the divergences for trading options on any time frames even down to 3 min.

Monthly says bearish sentiment on almost every chart except pharma. We’ll get dead cat bounces but I see flat towards negative for 2019. Should get temporary bottom when Apple hits 145ish then bear flag out till earning season.

I just do basic calls or puts with semi tight stops and let winners run. I prefer blue chip stocks, faang or tsla. We’re far from a recession imo more like stagflation.

So looking at this weekend's flight deals. Looking to go to Europe on the cheap. I'm blown away by how cheap it is for flights in May. Iceland for $240. Paris for $300. Dublin for $360. Amsterdam for $430. Scotland for $470. And I'm talking nonstop flights out of EWR or PHL.

If I throw in connecting flights, there are some crazy good deals. Barcelona for $324. Copenhagen for $335. Rome for $360. Zurich for $390.

I might take two European vacations.

Reactions: 1 users
So looking at this weekend's flight deals. Looking to go to Europe on the cheap. I'm blown away by how cheap it is for flights in May. Iceland for $240. Paris for $300. Dublin for $360. Amsterdam for $430. Scotland for $470. And I'm talking nonstop flights out of EWR or PHL.

If I throw in connecting flights, there are some crazy good deals. Barcelona for $324. Copenhagen for $335. Rome for $360. Zurich for $390.

I might take two European vacations.
wow - those are impressive - I just bought round trip to Paris for $540 direct - usually runs ~$1300

wow - those are impressive - I just bought round trip to Paris for $540 direct - usually runs ~$1300

Awesome.

I decided on Edinburgh. I boosted it up to March, though. $360 round trip on Norwegian. I think I'll be able to do Scotland on the cheap. Thankfully, the gorgeous Scottish landscape is mostly free to take in. And they have a 5-star hotel on Hotwire for $99 a night the week I picked. Brexit will be in full effect and their tourism numbers should be greatly depressed. Their loss is my gain.

Might take another trip in May with how cheap this is going to be.

Awesome.

I decided on Edinburgh. I boosted it up to March, though. $360 round trip on Norwegian. I think I'll be able to do Scotland on the cheap. Thankfully, the gorgeous Scottish landscape is mostly free to take in. And they have a 5-star hotel on Hotwire for $99 a night the week I picked. Brexit will be in full effect and their tourism numbers should be greatly depressed. Their loss is my gain.

Might take another trip in May with how cheap this is going to be.
We did Scotland for a quick day trip from London. Did one of those corny Hairy Coo Nessie Tours. Should have stayed longer.

Only need 5 to 6% gains in December and this long year will end up as a good one.

Very possible.