MPH The low of the lowest GPAs

Started by beau849
Tags Tags
low gpa mph
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

beau849

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
(success story)

i graduated from the university of iowa in 2014 where I REALLY REALLY struggled through it due to some severe depression. I graduated with a SOPHAS calculated GPA of 2.47. After graduation I worked for City Year and it really changed my life, I became super passionate about health disparities and decided I wanted to pursue a masters in public health. Considering my terrible GPA I recognized the unlikelihood of that ever happening. I felt like I had ruined my entire life because of how I struggled in undergrad. I enrolled in three non degree masters public health courses and U of Minnesota, while working full time as a case manager. I studied hard for the GRE and although I didn't do as well as I had wanted (156/155/4.5) it proved to be sufficient. I wrote a BOMB as* personal essay too (I did not address the low GPA) . I applied to 9 schools.

Last week I was admitted to Northeastern University, my top choice school, and i'm still in a state of disbelieve.

Anyway, i just wanted to give hope to people with the really really low GPAs.
 
Thank you for posting this! I just graduated with a 2.9 also due to mental health and probably applying in 2018 (still a while, I know lol) and this gave me some optimism and motivation to work harder these coming years 🙂 If you don't mind answering, where else did you apply and get accepted to?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
For people who have been accepted into MPH programs with low GPAs who suffered from depression - did you discuss this at all? Or is it better to let you grades stand as-is without an explanation?
 
2.7 gpa and accepted to Columbia!
For people who have been accepted into MPH programs with low GPAs who suffered from depression - did you discuss this at all? Or is it better to let you grades stand as-is without an explanation?
I discussed it in my personal statement briefly and for the schools with shorter personal statements where I had to cut it, I sent it as an addendum to my application. I felt it was important to let them know that I am not my grades and that my grades reflect a particularly dark time for me that I feel very dissociated from now.
 
For people who have been accepted into MPH programs with low GPAs who suffered from depression - did you discuss this at all? Or is it better to let you grades stand as-is without an explanation?

I don't have depression, BUT I had a lot of high impact events happen during undergrad (family disability/illness and financial difficulties) that really messed up my GPA for good. I also am my family's medical proxy and have helped my parents a lot, even though I'm only in my early twenties. I addressed it in my PS because of a lot of those events + how I felt on campus at the time really sparked my passions and exploration to the activities I was able to do toward the last two years at Emory and my current gap year. My PS also really tied in how the experiences I had made me a prime candidate for public health and preventive medicine, which I think alleviated a subpar GPA (two degrees though), and a weak quant GRE score imho.

My recommenders also knew my story enough to really elaborate that my GPA severely underestimated my vision and my resilience/grit despite everything I had to deal with.

Just FYI, I came out with barely a 3.0 and heading back to Emory (hopefully with a dual degree once I finish getting my life together) in my top choice department. 🙂
 
So far i have been:

accepted at: northeastern, U Pitt, and Drexel
Rejected from : Maryland and Brown (they didnt look at my app, dont waste your money if you're sub...2.5?), GW, UMinnesota, and BU

waiting to hear from: UIC, and Rutgers
 
Last edited:
2.7 gpa and accepted to Columbia!

I discussed it in my personal statement briefly and for the schools with shorter personal statements where I had to cut it, I sent it as an addendum to my application. I felt it was important to let them know that I am not my grades and that my grades reflect a particularly dark time for me that I feel very dissociated from now.

Can I reach out to you? I am applying for Fall 2020 and am losing my mind worrying about getting in or not. 🙁

Here are my stats:
Undergrad. Major: Pharm.D at small private university at Boston, MA- Completed degree in 2016
Undergrad GPA: 2.87 (Official University Transcript)
Undergrad. GPA: 2.55 (SOPHAS verification)

Grad. Major: Clinical Research at NYU (Degree still in progress anticipated to complete May 2020)
Grad. GPA: 3.42 (Official University Transcript)
Grad. GPA: 3.52 (SOPHAS verification)

Post Grad: 3 years of work experience as a Clinical Research Associate at a top oncology hospital in NYC. (2016-2019)

Letters of Recommendation: 2 graduate school professors + undergrad professor + employer (supervisor)

Schools applied: NYU, Columbia, BU, Rutgers, Mount Sinai, CUNY. My top two priorities are Columbia and NYU.:coldfeet:

Are my stats good enough?