MPH The low of the lowest GPAs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

beau849

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
(success story)

i graduated from the university of iowa in 2014 where I REALLY REALLY struggled through it due to some severe depression. I graduated with a SOPHAS calculated GPA of 2.47. After graduation I worked for City Year and it really changed my life, I became super passionate about health disparities and decided I wanted to pursue a masters in public health. Considering my terrible GPA I recognized the unlikelihood of that ever happening. I felt like I had ruined my entire life because of how I struggled in undergrad. I enrolled in three non degree masters public health courses and U of Minnesota, while working full time as a case manager. I studied hard for the GRE and although I didn't do as well as I had wanted (156/155/4.5) it proved to be sufficient. I wrote a BOMB as* personal essay too (I did not address the low GPA) . I applied to 9 schools.

Last week I was admitted to Northeastern University, my top choice school, and i'm still in a state of disbelieve.

Anyway, i just wanted to give hope to people with the really really low GPAs.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 9 users
Thank you for posting this! I just graduated with a 2.9 also due to mental health and probably applying in 2018 (still a while, I know lol) and this gave me some optimism and motivation to work harder these coming years :) If you don't mind answering, where else did you apply and get accepted to?

I think my GPA is around 2.86 and I got into BU and Tulane so far. Don't give up hope!

Members don't see this ad :)
For people who have been accepted into MPH programs with low GPAs who suffered from depression - did you discuss this at all? Or is it better to let you grades stand as-is without an explanation?

Reactions: 1 user
2.7 gpa and accepted to Columbia!
For people who have been accepted into MPH programs with low GPAs who suffered from depression - did you discuss this at all? Or is it better to let you grades stand as-is without an explanation?
I discussed it in my personal statement briefly and for the schools with shorter personal statements where I had to cut it, I sent it as an addendum to my application. I felt it was important to let them know that I am not my grades and that my grades reflect a particularly dark time for me that I feel very dissociated from now.

Reactions: 1 user

I don't have depression, BUT I had a lot of high impact events happen during undergrad (family disability/illness and financial difficulties) that really messed up my GPA for good. I also am my family's medical proxy and have helped my parents a lot, even though I'm only in my early twenties. I addressed it in my PS because of a lot of those events + how I felt on campus at the time really sparked my passions and exploration to the activities I was able to do toward the last two years at Emory and my current gap year. My PS also really tied in how the experiences I had made me a prime candidate for public health and preventive medicine, which I think alleviated a subpar GPA (two degrees though), and a weak quant GRE score imho.

My recommenders also knew my story enough to really elaborate that my GPA severely underestimated my vision and my resilience/grit despite everything I had to deal with.

Just FYI, I came out with barely a 3.0 and heading back to Emory (hopefully with a dual degree once I finish getting my life together) in my top choice department. :)

So far i have been:

accepted at: northeastern, U Pitt, and Drexel
Rejected from : Maryland and Brown (they didnt look at my app, dont waste your money if you're sub...2.5?), GW, UMinnesota, and BU

waiting to hear from: UIC, and Rutgers

Last edited:
I didnt at all.

2.7 gpa and accepted to Columbia!

I discussed it in my personal statement briefly and for the schools with shorter personal statements where I had to cut it, I sent it as an addendum to my application. I felt it was important to let them know that I am not my grades and that my grades reflect a particularly dark time for me that I feel very dissociated from now.

Can I reach out to you? I am applying for Fall 2020 and am losing my mind worrying about getting in or not. :(

Here are my stats:
Undergrad. Major: Pharm.D at small private university at Boston, MA- Completed degree in 2016
Undergrad GPA: 2.87 (Official University Transcript)
Undergrad. GPA: 2.55 (SOPHAS verification)

Grad. Major: Clinical Research at NYU (Degree still in progress anticipated to complete May 2020)
Grad. GPA: 3.42 (Official University Transcript)
Grad. GPA: 3.52 (SOPHAS verification)

Post Grad: 3 years of work experience as a Clinical Research Associate at a top oncology hospital in NYC. (2016-2019)

Letters of Recommendation: 2 graduate school professors + undergrad professor + employer (supervisor)

Schools applied: NYU, Columbia, BU, Rutgers, Mount Sinai, CUNY. My top two priorities are Columbia and NYU.:coldfeet:

Are my stats good enough?