The Match & Irish Med Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
If you're a anxious person, reconsider going. It'll take years off your life.

Members don't see this ad.

Is it critical for a Canadian graduate from Ireland to keep the US as a backup?

Say I'm looking to match in IM (a "medium-competitive" specialty), should I write the USMLE step 1 and 2 (in addition to the Canadian exams), and take electives in the US (in addition to Canadian electives)...or should I just concentrate on applying back to Canada.

How safe is it to just take the Canadian route without the US as a back-up plan?

Also, can I use the US as a backup for IM just by writing the USMLE without having to take US electives?

I ask this because I'm from Trinity, and we are given only 2 months during summers to take electives and study for both the Canadian and US exams.

Is it critical for a Canadian graduate from Ireland to keep the US as a backup?

Say I'm looking to match in IM (a "medium-competitive" specialty), should I write the USMLE step 1 and 2 (in addition to the Canadian exams), and take electives in the US (in addition to Canadian electives)...or should I just concentrate on applying back to Canada.

How safe is it to just take the Canadian route without the US as a back-up plan?

Also, can I use the US as a backup for IM just by writing the USMLE without having to take US electives?

I ask this because I'm from Trinity, and we are given only 2 months during summers to take electives and study for both the Canadian and US exams.

All the Irish schools give you pretty much the same amount of time to study for the exams and cram in electives. We all did it in the 2 months we were given. It makes for a busy summer, but if you choose your electives wisely (pick something you like in places you like) you'll be fine.
I matched to Canada and didn't bother using the US as a back-up plan. So did several other people in my year. It is a little risky though, as if you don't match you either have to take a year off or try to get an intern spot in Ireland.
It would be better to do an elective in the US somewhere if at all possible. Get creative with your time. Try to find an elective in a specialty and program that you might want to match to.
Good luck,
M

Members don't see this ad :)
All the Irish schools give you pretty much the same amount of time to study for the exams and cram in electives. We all did it in the 2 months we were given. It makes for a busy summer, but if you choose your electives wisely (pick something you like in places you like) you'll be fine.
I matched to Canada and didn't bother using the US as a back-up plan. So did several other people in my year. It is a little risky though, as if you don't match you either have to take a year off or try to get an intern spot in Ireland.
It would be better to do an elective in the US somewhere if at all possible. Get creative with your time. Try to find an elective in a specialty and program that you might want to match to.
Good luck,
M
Do you know how likely it is that an Irish grad (or any IMG) will match in IM in canada?
If you have any statistics that would be great. Did all the people you know who
applied to IM match?
Are electives in the US a must to apply for all programs? I'm just assuming IM wouldn't be so picky and any North American elective may be enough.
Thank you for your help once again.

Stats are hard to come by as CaRMS lumps all Irish grads together when calculating theirs, whether they applied to the Canadian match or decided to match elsewhere. Of the people in my year and other years who applied to internal medicine in Canada, they all got it. As I have stated before, be willing to apply to programs outside of your preferred province of residence and be flexible about where you are willing to live and you should do fine. Cheers,
M

Can anyone comment on health insurance. I know to study medicine in Ireland everyone needs health insurance. Do students normally purchase it in Canada (what are some companies) or in Ireland. How comprehensive is the coverage from Irish insurance companies? How does the claims process work, does one need to first see the doctor, pay from pocket and then claim it?

Thanks

When I was in Ireland it was optional but I had health insurance. You shouldn't need more than very basic coverage unless you have a chronic health condition or are planning to get pregnant. Most of the GPs in Cork treated med students for free - they had a policy of not charging their own. Also, UCC has a good university health service and again, no charge for visits. The only times I had to pay anything out of pocket was once when I saw a different GP in town and didn't mention that I was a med student. It cost 45 euros and then I had to wait to the end of the year to claim it against my insurance.
The plans do not cover drugs, full stop. Once you have been in Ireland for a year you can apply for a drugs payment card. On this plan you pay the first 90 euros for your meds, then everything after that is free. You don't have to be an Irish citizen to apply for this. You might need a PPS number (it's been a while - the PPS is like an SSN or SIN, and you get it simply by applying for it). It's totally worth looking into if you are asthmatic, as asthma drugs are very expensive in Ireland. There is also a long term illness scheme, again it covers non-Irish people who have been there a year or more, which covers the cost of things like diabetic supplies or if you have CF - it's a fairly short list but again, if you're diabetic, everything is covered. I have asthma, and a sympathetic pharmacist told me about the plan and then advanced me enough meds to get through the summer at home.
I never managed to find Canadian insurance that would cover me abroad; you're out of the country for too long.
The 3 companies that I know of doing health insurance in Ireland are BUPA, Vivas and VHi. Go for the cheapest plan. The details of coverage are often convoluted and confusing, but keep in mind that Ireland has a mixed public and private system, and as a student you are covered by the public system after 1 year in Ireland. The private system is no better than the public, although the hospitals are nicer (or at least, that seemed to be the situation in Cork). I needed an MRI while I was there and got it in about a month, at no cost. I also saw an ENT consultant several times, 3 different neurologists, a cardiologist and an endocrinologist (long story - happy ending), all at no cost to me and all in a fairly short period of time. Cheers,
M

Saskatchewan Blue Cross has insurance for students studying abroad so there are insurance possibilities here at home.