The New School vs Adelphi Clinical Psychology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JerseyGirl203

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I have recently been admitted to the New School for Social Research's MA program which is the first step to their Ph.D. program. Thier MA program offers a concentration in Mental Health and Substance Abuse where I would be able to gain clinical hours while completing my MA. However, I was also offered admission to Adelphi's Derner Clinical Ph.D. program.

In the future, I would like to become a clinician focused on CBT with interest in emotional regulations and anxiety disorders. If anyone could provide so pro/cons to deciding on a porgram that would be great!

Members don't see this ad.

There's no guarantee you'll get into the PhD program at The New School. They accept about 40 students in the MA and only 5-8 get into the Clinical PhD. The MA is built to be a weeding out process and while there are small scholarships offered and a great tuition payment plan (you can pay in monthly installments, interest free), it's one of the most expensive schools in the country. It's also a very psychodynamic oriented program. On the plus side, the person who runs (or at least used to run the Substance Abuse program when I was there) is probably one of my favorite professors of all time. Just a funny guy and great teacher.

I don't know anything about Adelphi, so can't help you with that one.

Hello, I have recently been admitted to the New School for Social Research's MA program which is the first step to their Ph.D. program. Thier MA program offers a concentration in Mental Health and Substance Abuse where I would be able to gain clinical hours while completing my MA. However, I was also offered admission to Adelphi's Derner Clinical Ph.D. program.

In the future, I would like to become a clinician focused on CBT with interest in emotional regulations and anxiety disorders. If anyone could provide so pro/cons to deciding on a porgram that would be great!

The Master's at the New School is not a step 1 which leads to a guaranteed step 2. It is indeed a wedding out process. I know many strong students who completed their MA there with the intention of continuing on to their PhD program, but did NOT gain admission into the PhD program and could not even apply due to the competitive nature and informal admission requirements (that you only become aware of once in the program). If I were you I would not take that chance and give up on a PhD program offer only to waste time and money on a MA I don't need, and then have to apply to doctoral programs all over again in two years.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you have any reasons you wouldn't want to go to Adelphi?

Do you have any reasons you wouldn't want to go to Adelphi?

Some other prospective students brought to my attention that Adelphi students have not been successful in getting internship matches and instead have a couple of affiliated internship matches reserved for their students. Similarly, they have a lower licensure percentage. Also in my case, the New School is offering me a better financial support.

Are you familiar with Adelphi's program?

The Master's at the New School is not a step 1 which leads to a guaranteed step 2. It is indeed a wedding out process. I know many strong students who completed their MA there with the intention of continuing on to their PhD program, but did NOT gain admission into the PhD program and could not even apply due to the competitive nature and informal admission requirements (that you only become aware of once in the program). If I were you I would not take that chance and give up on a PhD program offer only to waste time and money on a MA I don't need, and then have to apply to doctoral programs all over again in two years.
This seems super sketchy on the part of the New School.

Reactions: 1 user
Some other prospective students brought to my attention that Adelphi students have not been successful in getting internship matches and instead have a couple of affiliated internship matches reserved for their students. Similarly, they have a lower licensure percentage. Also in my case, the New School is offering me a better financial support.

Are you familiar with Adelphi's program?
I am not, I'm just also in a situation of deciding between a doctoral program and a master's program !

There are six APA Accredited internship slots reserved solely for Adelphi doctoral students during Phase I. That's better than nothing. Last year, 87% matched to an accredited site. While the licensure percentage is low (79%), would you rather worry about that or the possibility of not getting into the New School's PhD program and doing....do you have a Plan B?

There are six APA Accredited internship slots reserved solely for Adelphi doctoral students during Phase I. That's better than nothing. Last year, 87% matched to an accredited site. While the licensure percentage is low (79%), would you rather worry about that or the possibility of not getting into the New School's PhD program and doing....do you have a Plan B?

If I did attend the New School I would apply to other Ph.D. programs as well upon completion of the M.A. although I understand those academic years would not transfer, but I would have the clinical experience and hours from the mental health and substance abuse concentration.

If I did attend the New School I would apply to other Ph.D. programs as well upon completion of the M.A. although I understand those academic years would not transfer, but I would have the clinical experience and hours from the mental health and substance abuse concentration.

It is incredibly difficult to get into a PhD program. The fact that you got into one already is amazing. Many people (with stellar CVs) don't get into schools until their 2nd, 3rd, etc. try or never. Just because you got in now doesn't mean you'll get in somewhere else (it's often dependent on funding for the year, advisor interest, etc.). It's a huge gamble to give up that spot.

You could always ask the New School MA program if they have stats on how many of their MA students gain acceptance into any PhD program once they are done. If the percentage is high, then perhaps it's a good investment. Especially if you're not sold at all by Adelphi. If it's low then you might be setting yourself up for essentially paying for 2 extra years of grad school. You may be getting more funding at the New School but would it come out to more or less after 2 years of the MA and then another 5-6 in a PhD program? Also, I've found that clinical programs especially care A LOT more about research experience than clinical experience. So make sure that in the New School's MA program you'll be able to get research experience that leads to publications.

Last edited:
It is incredibly difficult to get into a PhD program. The fact that you got into one already is amazing. Many people (with stellar CVs) don't get into schools until their 2nd, 3rd, etc. try or never. Just because you got in now doesn't mean you'll get in somewhere else (it's often dependent on funding for the year, advisor interest, etc.). It's a huge gamble to give up that spot.
Sure, a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush, but that first bird costs $44,000 per year to care for and doesn't have the best outcomes, e.g. average 76% match rate and 79% licensure rate.

http://www.adelphi.edu/wp-content/b...issions-and-Outcomes.pdf?t=1475181357-53087-a

It might be wiser for OP to improve their qualifications and reapply to a fully-funded program with better outcomes in a year.

Reactions: 3 users
You could always ask the New School MA program if they have stats on how many of their MA students gain acceptance into any PhD program once they are done. If the percentage is high, then perhaps it's a good investment. Especially if you're not sold at all by Adelphi. If it's low then you might be setting yourself up for essentially paying for 2 extra years of grad school. You may be getting more funding at the New School but would it come out to more or less after 2 years of the MA and then another 5-6 in a PhD program? Also, I've found that clinical programs especially care A LOT more about research experience than clinical experience. So make sure that in the New School's MA program you'll be able to get research experience that leads to publications.

This is a tough call. It is my understanding that about half of the applicants from NSSR get into the Phd program. That number includes folks who don't choose to compete for the spots after the completion of the masters. New School's approach is kind of innovative. Most school agree standardized tests aren't the best way to judge a person. New School lets you give it a try and see if you have the right stuff. The GRE score is not factored into acceptance into the PHD portion of the program. This is a tough decision and I don't want to sway you either way because I'm applying to schools to and can't be impartial. That being said, research the programs. I hope it works out for you.

I know of people from the New School's masters program that got funded PhD positions at my graduate school. If they are offering you better funding and good research opportunities that would make you competitive for other PhD programs, it might be a good option...

I'm with @psych.meout on this one. Don't throw out the possibility of making yourself a better PhD candidate and applying again in a year. I also think finding out how many masters students from NS get into any PhD program afterwards. If their PhD program is as expensive as their masters it might be a reason for ppl to go elsewhere for doctoral study...

Just to clarify things - The internship match rate of Adelphi's students this year (2017-18) was 100% to APA-accredited sites.
Also, if you are interested in practicing as a CBT clinician, I don't think Adelphi or the New School is a good fit for you. They are both heavily psychodynamically oriented.

I would think completing a masters degree would make you more marketable to any program if you were turned down by NSSR for finishing the phd. Also, if Behaviorism is the end goal, these may not be the best choices for you.

Take the PhD. You may wait until next time and not get one. In 10 years if you work hard and know your stuff, almost no one cares where you went to school...

Both of these schools are good and have a great reputation in New York. That being said they both lean pretty psychodynamically.

The concentration in Mental Health and Substance Abuse program at the New School does set you up to get some certification to be a substance abuse counselor, at least that is what I remember. Also plan on it being a competitive 1.5/2 years (you apply in your 3rd semester) if you wish to continue in the program. Competitive means having top grades and being invested in faculty research that interests you. The number of people that actually apply to the Clinical PhD program are not usually as many as the number of people attending the MA program as some people don't end up applying because of grades etc. They offer some scholarships, teaching and research assistantships in the PhD program.

what did you decide to do?