*~*~*~* The Offical "What are my chances/Where to apply for 2006-2007?" thread*~*~*~

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
sorry i meant "Gildas", not glidial

Members don't see this ad.

all these people and no opinions???
Come on people!!!

Opinion?

You didnt do as well on your MCAT and now you want to scramble to apply to DO schools.

There are 24 DO schools that you can apply to. All of them have already begun interviewing for next years class.

If you want to have a shot at getting in this year I highly suggest reading up on the different schools and get your applications in ASAP. Also having some idea of what osteopathic medicine is would be beneficial.

Keep in mind that many DO schools require a letter of recommendation from a DO...that may be tough to get at this point.

Also keep in mind that it is this time of the year that DO schools are bombarded with applications from people who are in the same situation as yourself. The Admissions office knows exactly why this is and does their best to keep up with the influx of paperwork.

Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey all, just became a member of SDN and i love it =) N e ways jus found out my mcat scores and i was wondering if i could get some feedback. I got a V-7 P-9 B-10 WS- Q My GPA is 3.2 science and 3.2 cum. I am only applying to DO schools cuz i love the DO approach to medicine. Anyways jus wanna kno wat your thoughts are on my chances. my first mcat was a 22O soo i was happy it was better 2nd time around. (hoped for a 28-30, but cant get everything =)) Anyways, good luck to the rest of yall. Oh yea i already submitted primaries a long time ago so i am early in the cycle. cheers!!!! =)

Good luck. As long as you have good extracurriculars and other aspects of your application are strong you should be OK. Getting an interview will likely happen...after that its up to you...your numbers cant help anymore.

I too need advice/support

I got a 23L on my MCAT but I have a 3.84 non-science gpa and a 3.71 science gpa. I have very little experience with medical activities because it was only till recently (May) that I decided to apply and take the MCAT. However, I am very serious about becomming a physician. I have only shadowed 2 DOs. However I am an athlete and 2 sports took up most of my time in college. I also have a lot of community service.

I know my MCAT is pretty bad, but does anyone think I have a chance of getting accepted to some DO schools?

Only one way to find out.

Good luck.

Hello all, new to the forum here, well actually have always read up, first time posting, your help and advice would be greatly appreciated.

I have graduated college with a Bachelors in Biology with a 3.12 GPA. My grades were low initially, but the increase and improvements in my grades can be significantly noted.

I stayed out a year(currently this year) to do a graduate level program. Its called a Masters in Biotechnology and Chemical analysis from Roosevelt University Chicago. Classes right now include, molecular bio, cell bio, devl bio, research, biochem. I would be done before Fall 2007. I did this program just so I could show schools that continuing progress and have grades to show for it, in addition its a graduate program and just being in it let alone doing well must mean something.

I have substantial volunteer work experience, non-profit health clinics, hospital, international volunteer work. Shadowed. Work a part-time job. Active leadership roles in school organizations. Many non-health volunteer activities as well. also have been involved in chemistry research for 2 yrs

With all that said, i just got my MCAT scores, the breakdown was 9V, 7B, 6P. basically a 22R. i am devestated as i really felt i did much better, was expecting around a 26-27. I took the test while in some serious family problems, i didnt want them to hold me back so i still took it.

I have applied to all the DO schools available, even the 2 new ones. What are my chances? I looked at the score breakdowns for many of these schools and many of them have average MCAT scores of 7-8, mine being just there.

Also, I know a few people that even got into Midwestern Chicago with quite similar scores, but they had much less extracurrics than I have had.

So please anyone able to gauge my chances of getting into any DO school? There must be a chance to get into atleast somewhere? IF anyone has any questions to further help them give me an answer please ask.

And yes, i am not applying to DO simply because I dont have numbers for MD schools, i had applied to bout 20 MD schools and 24 DO schools. I have extensively shadowed a DO (an uncle of mine), stood in surgeries with him as well, and the funny part is, he told me he was a DO after my first two visits to him. Thus i really respect the field and if anyone says they are not doctors, id tell them, go shadow one first and then talk.

again
undergrad gpa-3.12
mcat-22R
graduate gpa-pending
substantial extracurricular activites

what schools should i really focus on in trying to get in?

Hi helpmenow, I think you should focus on retaking the MCAT. Everyone faces adversity and challenges, but like our dean said, it is those who stand back up after being knocked down and overcome the challenge that can face medical school. There *may* be people who have obtained an acceptance with a 22, but that is not the norm. Applications to DO schools are on the rise and so is the competitiveness. Of course, you can remain hopeful for the applications that you already submitted but I would not forgo preparing for the next MCAT so that you can really kick its ass and choose a great medical school for you. Good luck

Any chance at osteopathic?

Give it a shot this year if you have the money. I think the best thing for you to do is retake most or all classes that you have a C or lower in. Do that this spring and over the summer, and if you pull all A's, I am pretty sure you application will be competitive at that point.

How is your GPA trend?

I need some help please. My GPA is 3.3 sci and overall. I have taken the MCAT 3 times. 210, 21N, and my new aug score is 23N. The sad part is that I was scoring 27-29 on practice tests and felt pretty prepared as this is my third time taking the test. But i have serious test anxiexty when it comes to the real MCAT.. which explains my low scores. I have applied to DO schools and everything is complete-- just waiting on mcat scores. My top choice is Western. I dont know what my chances are. I have great EC- hospital volunteer for many years, hospital volunteer in india for non-profit hospital, clinical research, and leadership in culutral programs. I have volunteered 250 hours at my DO office. My DO who wrote my letter was a graduate from western U. Whats your take? I know the MCAT is low.. :(

I need some help please. My GPA is 3.3 sci and overall. I have taken the MCAT 3 times. 210, 21N, and my new aug score is 23N. The sad part is that I was scoring 27-29 on practice tests and felt pretty prepared as this is my third time taking the test. But i have serious test anxiexty when it comes to the real MCAT.. which explains my low scores. I have applied to DO schools and everything is complete-- just waiting on mcat scores. My top choice is Western. I dont know what my chances are. I have great EC- hospital volunteer for many years, hospital volunteer in india for non-profit hospital, clinical research, and leadership in culutral programs. I have volunteered 250 hours at my DO office. My DO who wrote my letter was a graduate from western U. Whats your take? I know the MCAT is low.. :(
Go for it. You can't expect to get in unless you apply :)

my university doesn't have a pre-med committee so i have to use Letter of Recommendations from 2 science profs and 1 non-science profs (for Western U) plus one from a physician. BUT my major issue is that I can only obtain ONE science prof and the rest are from a physician, volunteering, highschool teacher etc. Do I even have a shot without the other 2 professors?? i have a 25R and 3.65.
it's really tough getting these profs to work with you on these issues esp cuz there are 200+ keeners buggin the heck outta these profs for refs.
anyone with info regarding my case? thx!

Yeah so aparently they tell me a 26 is about average for DO schools. I got 9-9-8... biochemistry major - have been consistently getting 9's and 10's... an 8!!!! Should I retake or what? My GPA is about 3.5-3.6 w\ a science gpa of 3.75. Been working as a TCA (technical care assistant) at a hospital for almost a year. Really Really pissed about my mcat score... I averaged a 28 but my last two scores were 32 and 33 respectively.... Just so pissed right now. Hopefully I can sneak into NYCOM, NJ, or PCOM... but I don't know

You are pretty late in the process, however, with your numbers and experience you should be ok still. Your numbers and stats are very comparable to mine and so far I've been accepted to every school I've interviewed at. So, go in confident, yet humble. You'll do just fine. Simply put. You want? Go get it!

I've been waiting for the day i get to post a "what are my chances..." thread. Anyway, i thought i was going to do bad on the MCAT so didn't do my personal statement or get my letters of rec in yet. I ended up doing better than i hoped and am now scrambling to get everything in. Is it worth it to turn in my application by next week and hope for my letters of rec to get in by the end of november? By that time will most of the spots for next years classes be filled up?

Now on to my "what are my chances" section. Didn't really commit to medicine until an inspirational shadowing opportunity my junior year summer. My GPA prior to that was a 2.7 which was brought up from a 2.3 my freshman year. So my senior year i took 4-6 science classes each quarter and averaged a 3.84, my cumulative went up to a 3.06. I'm currently enrolled in an informal post-bacc program doing retakes trying to raise my GPA to 3.3-3.5 osteo cummulative by the end of the year. My MCAT score was a 33M, i thought i screwed up the first two sections and couldn't think during the writing sample. EC's: Three months of research, 150 hours shadowing, and one club haha
Anyways, so, you guys think it's worth it to submit with my stats so late in the game?

Members don't see this ad :)
okay, this is something i am ashamed to admit, but many of you need some hope... so i will let you know that it is possible to get an acceptance with a 22O and a low gpa. my undergrad gpa was a 2.84. after 2 years of grad school i now have a 3.25 overall and 3.2 sci gpa. i have some clinical and shadowing experience and a lot of volunteer hours. so nothing exceptional, but i got in on my first try. and thank God b/c i really wasn't looking forward to retaking the mcat. i really didn't study much the first time, so i know i could do better if i had to. anyway, the point is if you want something bad enough you can make it happen. so don't get discouraged by a low mcat score. DO schools really do look at the whole applicant. good luck.

I've been waiting for the day i get to post a "what are my chances..." thread. Anyway, i thought i was going to do bad on the MCAT so didn't do my personal statement or get my letters of rec in yet. I ended up doing better than i hoped and am now scrambling to get everything in. Is it worth it to turn in my application by next week and hope for my letters of rec to get in by the end of november? By that time will most of the spots for next years classes be filled up?

Now on to my "what are my chances" section. Didn't really commit to medicine until an inspirational shadowing opportunity my junior year summer. My GPA prior to that was a 2.7 which was brought up from a 2.3 my freshman year. So my senior year i took 4-6 science classes each quarter and averaged a 3.84, my cumulative went up to a 3.06. I'm currently enrolled in an informal post-bacc program doing retakes trying to raise my GPA to 3.3-3.5 osteo cummulative by the end of the year. My MCAT score was a 33M, i thought i screwed up the first two sections and couldn't think during the writing sample. EC's: Three months of research, 150 hours shadowing, and one club haha
Anyways, so, you guys think it's worth it to submit with my stats so late in the game?

It is not as late as you think. With a 33 MCAT score you are bound to get interviews, but apply broadly to be safe.

If you apply soon you have a good shot. I have had multiple interview invites with similar stats. You can look at my MdApps to see.

Ladies and Gentlemen: It's not THAT LATE IN THE CYCLE. Lots of messages on here about whether it's worth applying "this late in the game". It's really not late. Sure it's later than the first date that it's possible to apply in July or whatever, but it's still early. I know people in my class that applied on the last date which was around May, with much lower stats than some of you and got in. Just apply. You don't have much to lose and the application costs are negligible compared to the debt you will accumulate in med school. Good luck :luck:

I have a 30 O and a 3.43 GPA (Science 3.43)

I've shadowed a couple doctors and I volunteer at a hospital.

thanks for all replies.

Opinion?

You didnt do as well on your MCAT and now you want to scramble to apply to DO schools.

There are 24 DO schools that you can apply to. All of them have already begun interviewing for next years class.

If you want to have a shot at getting in this year I highly suggest reading up on the different schools and get your applications in ASAP. Also having some idea of what osteopathic medicine is would be beneficial.

Keep in mind that many DO schools require a letter of recommendation from a DO...that may be tough to get at this point.

Also keep in mind that it is this time of the year that DO schools are bombarded with applications from people who are in the same situation as yourself. The Admissions office knows exactly why this is and does their best to keep up with the influx of paperwork.

Good luck.

Thanks for your response but I did not just start considering DO and I do have a letter from a DO that I have been shadowing since mid-May and still am with once a week. My biggest problem is like I stated, there are only a few schools on the west and none of them are withing two states of where I am, hence the request for other peoples opinions.:) I do know that you are helpful to a lot of people in this site so I will not take offense to your statement about my MCAT and scrambling. I turned in my AACOMAS and AMCAS applications within days of each other, not now because of the MCAT. The schools that I have found that I am interested in are DMU (have two friends there one is a 4th year and one is 1st and they both love it), PCOM, LECOM, NYCOM...but I do not know anything about these schools other than what you find on the websites and we all know that they create their own websites to recruit, not tell you their shortcomings and downfalls. Thanks to those who were helpful though!!!

Hello all, new to the forum here, well actually have always read up, first time posting, your help and advice would be greatly appreciated.

I have graduated college with a Bachelors in Biology with a 3.12 GPA. My grades were low initially, but the increase and improvements in my grades can be significantly noted.

I stayed out a year(currently this year) to do a graduate level program. Its called a Masters in Biotechnology and Chemical analysis from Roosevelt University Chicago. Classes right now include, molecular bio, cell bio, devl bio, research, biochem. I would be done before Fall 2007. I did this program just so I could show schools that continuing progress and have grades to show for it, in addition its a graduate program and just being in it let alone doing well must mean something.

I have substantial volunteer work experience, non-profit health clinics, hospital, international volunteer work. Shadowed. Work a part-time job. Active leadership roles in school organizations. Many non-health volunteer activities as well. also have been involved in chemistry research for 2 yrs

With all that said, i just got my MCAT scores, the breakdown was 9V, 7B, 6P. basically a 22R. i am devestated as i really felt i did much better, was expecting around a 26-27. I took the test while in some serious family problems, i didnt want them to hold me back so i still took it.

I have applied to all the DO schools available, even the 2 new ones. What are my chances? I looked at the score breakdowns for many of these schools and many of them have average MCAT scores of 7-8, mine being just there.

Also, I know a few people that even got into Midwestern Chicago with quite similar scores, but they had much less extracurrics than I have had.

So please anyone able to gauge my chances of getting into any DO school? There must be a chance to get into atleast somewhere? IF anyone has any questions to further help them give me an answer please ask.

And yes, i am not applying to DO simply because I dont have numbers for MD schools, i had applied to bout 20 MD schools and 24 DO schools. I have extensively shadowed a DO (an uncle of mine), stood in surgeries with him as well, and the funny part is, he told me he was a DO after my first two visits to him. Thus i really respect the field and if anyone says they are not doctors, id tell them, go shadow one first and then talk.

again
undergrad gpa-3.12
mcat-22R
graduate gpa-pending
substantial extracurricular activites

what schools should i really focus on in trying to get in?

FURTHER QUESTIONS
DVICE? should i take the mcat agian in this january? will that allow me to take utilize that score for the Fall 2007 application? will they analyze my file before i take it actually? and then maybe if i am in limbo and i have brought my score up, that may give me a little nudge over? how does that work?

also. from checking up on this my scores are MOST competative at these schools, i used the forums osteopathic school checker tool and checking mdapplicants, a lot of people with similar scores to mine got accepted to lake eerie, new englad, and the last one i listed

-Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine
-New York College of Osteopathic Medicine of New York Institute of Technology
-University of New England College of Osteopathic Medicine
-West Virginia School of Osteopathic Medicine (WVSOM)
-Pikeville College School of Osteopathic Medicine (PCSOM)
-University of Osteopathic Medicine & Health Sciences College of Osteopathic Medicine & Surgery

any advice on these schools? does it matter what state you live in?

ALSO, with these scores, i hear that i will not be screened out or denied right out the gates.......so question is, i WILL get an interview still maybe from many of these schools? and i guess if i blow them away in the interviews it might just do the trick?

I don't know which osteo schools to apply to, but can anyone point me in the right direction? I got a 12PS, 6VR, N, 10BS. I had an undergrad GPA of 3.35, then I realized what I wanted to do after working as a Medical Platoon Leader in Iraq for a Cavalry unit. I took post-bac ochem etc. and got 3.96 at the end of the year. I think my LORs are well written, and I worked with an ER DO, but nothing on paper to prove it.

Can anyone give me some advice? What schools and around how many? I know I'm late in the game applying to DO, but I really want to get in this year.

I appreciate everyone's help, and best of luck to everyone.

Overall GPA: 3.13
BCPM: 3.21
MCAT: 34M (12ps, 10vr, 12bs)
Extracurrics: volunteer/work at hospital, missions trips to underserved, pre-med club, biology club, tutored, pball vice pres for 2 years. Also worked 20-40 hrs a week with minimum 16 credit hours as well. shadowed both DO and MD.

so yah what do you all think???

Overall GPA: 3.13
BCPM: 3.21
MCAT: 34M (12ps, 10vr, 12bs)
Extracurrics: volunteer/work at hospital, missions trips to underserved, pre-med club, biology club, tutored, pball vice pres for 2 years. Also worked 20-40 hrs a week with minimum 16 credit hours as well. shadowed both DO and MD.

so yah what do you all think???

You look similar to me and I have 3 interviews so far. You should be good to go. Great job on that MCAT.

I am 26 years old and I have been an EMT for years. I decided to go back to school and I just took the MCAT in August and applied to DO schools. My scores sucked...7-PS 8-BS 4-VR My GPA is a 3.4. I had all of my stuff in early and just sent my scores today. Does anyone think I have a chance...I really want to go to PCOM...my father is an alum there! :) I need advice...maybe something to cheer me up? Also...does anyone know if I can retake the MCAT in January and if it will count for this year? Thanks!

I am 26 years old and I have been an EMT for years. I decided to go back to school and I just took the MCAT in August and applied to DO schools. My scores sucked...7-PS 8-BS 4-VR My GPA is a 3.4. I had all of my stuff in early and just sent my scores today. Does anyone think I have a chance...I really want to go to PCOM...my father is an alum there! :) I need advice...maybe something to cheer me up? Also...does anyone know if I can retake the MCAT in January and if it will count for this year? Thanks!

Im not going to lie its already kind of late, but you never know. You have a 19 MCAT and a 3.4, it depends on your EC's. If for some reason (hope that you do get accepted though) you are not acc. then really just work a bit on your MCAT, retake it in January and get some Ec's in, even though you being a certified EMT is pretty good and slightly broadens your chances... My 2 centz....:D

Thanks for the advice. I have a lot of EC's. I volunteered at a hospital for 2 years, I shadowed 2 doctors (not including my dad) and got really good LOR's, I am an assistant lab instructor for a physiology lab at PSU, I am also a teaching assistant for an upperlevel bio class, I am President of BBB (national biological honors society) and I have been an EMT for a couple years. I studied abroad in Costa Rica for a summer and I was a girl scout for 12 years...haha...I know...random! I am hoping this all makes up for my crappy MCAT scores. I may still take them again in January and I hope it is not too late for them to look at those as well. Any more feedback would be appreciated! ;)

Thanks for the advice. I have a lot of EC's. I volunteered at a hospital for 2 years, I shadowed 2 doctors (not including my dad) and got really good LOR's, I am an assistant lab instructor for a physiology lab at PSU, I am also a teaching assistant for an upperlevel bio class, I am President of BBB (national biological honors society) and I have been an EMT for a couple years. I studied abroad in Costa Rica for a summer and I was a girl scout for 12 years...haha...I know...random! I am hoping this all makes up for my crappy MCAT scores. I may still take them again in January and I hope it is not too late for them to look at those as well. Any more feedback would be appreciated! ;)
Great ECs! I would either look at their websites or call up the schools to see if they will accept the January 2007 MCATs. Mind you, this is going to be computerized which may or may not work to your advantage. I know that COMP is accepting January 2007 MCATs. Kick butt on it and you'll hopefully be racking up those interviews. Best of luck.

I think that retaking the MCAT in January is solid advice, however I do have two friends that got into VCOM with 17's on their MCAT. Their GPAs though were a 4 though. If going to a particular school is important to you I would see about finding a person there who might be able to steer you in the right direction for what the school would need to offer you an invitation.
M

My suggestions if you're applying next year:

If neither of those docs were a DO, find one and shadow them. Not having a DO letter really limits your options (but doesn't destroy them, speaking through experience). More that a DO letter will open more doors.

Study your ass off and retake the MCAT. I would suggest dishing out the cash and paying for a prep course. It really helped me.

In this next year or so, if you had any classes you were weak in, retake them. AACOMAS will replace a grade for a class you took with that of the most recent go-round. This really boosted my GPA, so see if you might be able to take advantage of this for next year.

Keep it up with the good ECs, they're the strength of your app, don't let them slide.

You definitely have a shot with a little hard work. Good luck. :luck:

Your dad being a PCOM alumnus is a positive plus ... but with rolling admission, average GPA, and below average verbal score ... not sure if your healthcare experience and legacy status can overcome the odds (unless your dad is an active member of the alumni society and have donated money in the past)

If you dont want to use your dad as a DO letter, I'm sure he still knows a few classmates (or fellow DOs) that are willing to write a DO letter - you don't even have to shadow - just mention that you know what osteopathic medicine is, that you grew up with it ... and that you want to continue the family tradition. Although a DO letter is not required for PCOM, the adcom looks upon it favorably (and it's something that can be used to your favor, maybe enough to warrant an interview and from there let your personality/passion shine)

Good luck and do lots of verbal MCAT problems - and take the Jan MCAT. Best case scenerio - PCOM takes you and you don't need it. Worst case scenerio - you don't get in anywhere so you re-apply, but this time with the new Jan MCAT score (hopefully with a better verbal score)

I have a 24Q 3.74 GPA both sciences and regular. Good EC,LOR's and from MD's also. what are my chances at NYCOM?

New York resident - Check
High GPA - Check
Average-below average MCAT (I think 26 is avg) - Check

You have a decent chance. Apply and get those LORs in :)

I have a 24Q 3.74 GPA both sciences and regular. Good EC,LOR's and from MD's also. what are my chances at NYCOM?

What is the break down of your MCAT score? Is it lopsided or solid all the way through?

BTW, weren't you scoring higher than a 24 on your practice MCATS? I thought I remember you posting about how you were up in the 30s.

Definitely not in s 30's at all. break down was 6v, 8ps, 10bs. I don't know what happened with the ps because I am a chem major. Maybe because my exam had a lot of physics and only 2 chem passages.

Is your native language english or is it a second language? I'm with you on the verbal reasoning, it sucks. I thought I got a 6 for two months, only to find out I got a 9, go figure...

If you are not applying this year, take your time studying and retake the MCAT. While a 24 will probably get you in the door to an osteo school somewhere (if the rest of your app. is solid), why would you want to be a begger rather than a chooser?

Good luck.

I have taken the MCAT and received a 21N and my overall GPA is 3.2, but I have a 3.33 in the sciences. I am not the regular pre-med major, but a biomedical engineering major, so I've taken a lot more hard sciences than distributive courses. Also I have worked as a nursing assistant for almost three years now and various other volunteer and work experiences. Do I have any shot for DO schools?

OK...so I decided that I am going to take the princeton review prep course to get extra practice with the verbal section. I am going to retake the MCAT in january and see how I do on the computer exam. I already sent in my apps, but I will just hope for the best! If I do not get in :oops: I will just reapply and in the meantime, try to get an internship at a hospital. I can also do more shadowing...I already ahve 3 DO LOR's, but the more the merrier right? I thought I'd just share my plan. Thanks to everyone...you all have been so helpful and encouraging! I'll just keep chugging!!! :)

i would say apply broadly - ppl with similar scores have gotten in. you need good ec's, letters of rec from a d.o, etc . apply, thats the only way to know.

i'm sick of everyone saying its too late! it's october - hurry and get everything In!! you've got time, your MCAT isn't great..but try to apply to some schools that will consider the Jan mcat and go for it - if not, theres always next year!

Try wsvom,lecom,pscom,dcom,vcom,and unecom. good luck!

i would say apply broadly - ppl with similar scores have gotten in. you need good ec's, letters of rec from a d.o, etc . apply, thats the only way to know.

:luck: :luck: Goodluck!

why did you spit out that random list of schools? If you are trying for least competitive schools, that is not the list IMO.

maybe its the schools he liked? haha just a thought :D

why did you spit out that random list of schools? If you are trying for least competitive schools, that is not the list IMO.

Which do you think are the least competitive?

Hello,
I have similar stats. Just apply, it's the only way to know. I have already recieved interviews. ;)

it is really hard to choose. But i think the LECOMs, DCOM, PCSOM, and TUCOMs are a little bit easier than the rest. ....I am gonna get flamed for this prolly..

Nah bro why is someone going to flame you. It's just statistics.

exactly, but I can still see people at those schools being offended.. even tho it doesn't say anything about the quality of the education.

Did you apply to Erie?

Heh, DGK, you have eaxctly the same stats as me, expect I'm a business major. I talked to a recruiter from KCUMB, and they said anyone who have an 18 or above on the MCAT will definetly be given a chance. My friend who also got a 21N got in last year...