*~*~*~* The Offical "What are my chances/Where to apply for 2006-2007?" thread*~*~*~

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I have 7 years medical experience, 5 years military experience, a 3.5 gpa, 6 recommendations one from an MD, but a 18P MCAT. Can I squeeze my self into DO school...lol?

If you do apply this year, apply to Pikesville, West Virginia, and both LECOMs

Members don't see this ad.

I have a 3.55 overall gpa and 3.37 science gpa and a 25 and 23 on april and aug mcat respectively. wat are my chances in any d.o. schools in tri state area (NY,NJ,PA)?? wat r my chances in other d.o. schools out of tri state area? Thanks in advance for whoever replies to this message

Members don't see this ad :)
Okay , so I got a 35 on my MCAT, but I have around ~3.2 overall GPA and ~3.0 science GPA. :(

Do I have a chance?! I applied through AAMC to MD schools, but I don't know I am scared Btw, how do you apply to DO schools?.

Your good, but if you want MD, apply that route also.

Is it true that in general DO schools put a greater emphasis on your undergrad gpa than on the mcat? That you can bomb the mcat and get in, but that if you don't do as well that there is still a chance?

Is it true that in general DO schools put a greater emphasis on your undergrad gpa than on the mcat? That that you can bomb the mcat and get in, but that if you don't do as well that there is still a chance?

Bomb? What does that mean? To mean bombing the MCAT is like low 20's or sub 20. What is your definition of bombing? Generally the osteopathic schools have lower MCAT scores needed for admissions, but not dirt low.

Apply to LECOM and Debusk. UNECOM also is very good about looking at more than just MCAT scores. Yours aren't that bad.

New England U says there minimum score is 18 on the MCAT, so he may have a chance of getting in. I am in the same situation. I have 7 years of medical experience, 5 years of U.S. Navy experience, 3.5 gpa, 6 LOR's and a 18P MCAT. If my experience does not convince them, then I would question how they pick doctors. After working with Physicians I have learned it is how you do your job and not how you do on the MCAT.

New England U says there minimum score is 18 on the MCAT, so he may have a chance of getting in. I am in the same situation. I have 7 years of medical experience, 5 years of U.S. Navy experience, 3.5 gpa, 6 LOR's and a 18P MCAT. If my experience does not convince them, then I would question how they pick doctors. After working with Physicians I have learned it is how you do your job and not how you do on the MCAT.

Although experience is very important in deciding to go to medical school it does not tell the medical schools if you are able to handle the courseload you will be given. That is where gpa and mcats become a big factor...they want to know that you are able to apply what you learned (this would be your gpa) to the test...so even though I am sure you would be able to handle the courseload, the school would want to know for sure....plus this whole process is insanely competitive so there has to be something that puts everyone on some equal footing for comparison and that is also why they place such a heavy emphasis on the mcats...

Alright, I've got a 3.0 overall, 3.0 science, 40 hours shadowing a D.O., 80+volunteer in the E.R., have been working as a microbiologist since graduation and I am married, and I want to go Rural Family Practice, and I grew up in a town of less than 5000 and graduated from a top 75 school....What are my chances seriously. No more smoke up my butt...really!

Members don't see this ad :)
Alright, I've got a 3.0 overall, 3.0 science, 40 hours shadowing a D.O., 80+volunteer in the E.R., have been working as a microbiologist since graduation and I am married, and I want to go Rural Family Practice, and I grew up in a town of less than 5000 and graduated from a top 75 school....What are my chances seriously. No more smoke up my butt...really!

MCAT Score required for evaluation. Are you applying to only DO schools? Are you URM? etc. (need more info)

BUT the MCAT tests how you think on your feet. Millions of people can deal with shadowing and volunteering, and other clinical positions such as nursing often require less cognitive application. It is only a select few that can learn and apply information quickly and efficiently. This, at least in small part, is what the MCAT attempts to engage and evaluate. It is obvious that you are trying to discount its relevance due to your relatively low score. Perhaps it would be more fruitful to address your low score as many, many people on this forum have already done. I studied my ass off for an entire semester in the midst of Quantum Physics, Fluid & Heat Dynamics, Advanced OChem, Neuropsychology, and Ochem lab so that I could succeed on the MCAT not to mention that I forked out 1500 dollars for the prep course. I WORKED to bring a 21 Kaplan diagnostic in February to a 32 MCAT in April.

Please do not discredit my efforts and the efforts of others on this forum without better justifying your comments. :thumbdown:

3.44/25 MCAT, good EC's, volunteering, rec letters. any shot at PCOM, UNECOM, NYCOM?? particularly nycom, it's my #1 choice?

3.44/25 MCAT, good EC's, volunteering, rec letters. any shot at PCOM, UNECOM, NYCOM?? particularly nycom, it's my #1 choice?

It's a crapshoot, but your chances look good. You'd be safer with a 27+, but your GPA and MCAT are both within a standard deviation of the averages of those schools.

I have no idea what NYCOM looks for.. I haven't received anything from them yet except their app acknowledgement. They need to get their butt in gear and invite me for an interview ;)

Just kidding, please don't throw my app out NYCOM adcom!:scared:

I see some people saying it is let in the game to apply ti DO school. The deadlines for my schools are Feb 1 and April, so I am a little confused about the deadlines you guys are talking about.

I see some people saying it is let in the game to apply ti DO school. The deadlines for my schools are Feb 1 and April, so I am a little confused about the deadlines you guys are talking about.

SOOO you're gonna ignore my remarks. Thanks for the apology.:thumbdown:

It's not late if you're doing secondaries right now. It is on the late side if you're just working on your primary AACOMAS, however. Because decisions are on a rolling basis, the earlier that an individual applies, the better chance that there are more openings available for consideration.

Considering it is late October and primary applications opened up in May, this 5 months into the cycle..and considering the cycle (generally) ends around March or April that's a sizable length of time. I wouldn't call it "late" but it certainly is getting there.

Post Bacc(37 credits): 3.716
Science: 3.193
Overall: 3.057
Thank the lord for retakes in my post bacc.

MCAT 21N to a 26N

Work as EMT for 650 hrs to date.
Shadowed DO for 50 hrs.
Shadowed various doctors and PAs in the emergency room for 70 hrs.

Not seeing many interviews though. Do you think these stats are ok and perhaps it's something else?

-Timmah2k

Post Bacc(37 credits): 3.716
Science: 3.193
Overall: 3.057
Thank the lord for retakes in my post bacc.

MCAT 21N to a 26N

Work as EMT for 650 hrs to date.
Shadowed DO for 50 hrs.
Shadowed various doctors and PAs in the emergency room for 70 hrs.

Not seeing many interviews though. Do you think these stats are ok and perhaps it's something else?

-Timmah2k

How long have you been complete at the schools to which you're applying?

How long have you been complete at the schools to which you're applying?

That's prolly it...I took the august MCAT so I've been complete after that. Hopefully I'll get some interviews soon then.

I have a 3.25 overall (approx 3.1 sci basically fresh year i got all 2.0's and 2.5's turned it around as much as i could)

MCAT 27O 9 9 9
shadowed DO med students and residents
two summers worth of research, got published in medical journal Chest
lots of other EC (positions in clubs etc) and good LOR

my top choices are CCOM, MSU ( i go there for undergrad)

The thing is I submitted my primary last week of August, got back lots of secondaries but still working on them ( I want to have them out by the end of this week) ...

any help appreciated

How come nobody replied to me :(

How come nobody replied to me :(

what do you want to know? I say you got a decent chance. But as you probably already know, many people applying already have their secondaries in, so you're competing against the clock in that sense.

your stats are ok. your GPA could be higher, but your MCAT is competitive. I'd say you got a decent chance. Goodluck.

Stats: 3.4 Gpa in undergrad., enrolled in PCOM's biomed program right now and expecting to recieve A's in my first trimester (classes essentially shadow those of a do student), alot of meaningful extracurriculars, here's the kicker....20 on the MCAT.

I'm not oblivious to my devastatingly low MCAT score, but I figure this is the best place to hear other's stories. Has anyone heard of acceptance with a 20 MCAT? I don't plan on taking them again, because truthfully that was my second time with the test. I dedicated my entire summer, gave it my all and that was the result. So I dont think retaking it is going to do much.

This is my dream, I know I'd be a great physician, and I have a hard time giving it up over a stupid test. I'd like to think I still have a chance. What do you all think given my MCAT score?

Stats: 3.4 Gpa in undergrad., enrolled in PCOM's biomed program right now and expecting to recieve A's in my first trimester (classes essentially shadow those of a do student), alot of meaningful extracurriculars, here's the kicker....20 on the MCAT.

I'm not oblivious to my devastatingly low MCAT score, but I figure this is the best place to hear other's stories. Has anyone heard of acceptance with a 20 MCAT? I don't plan on taking them again, because truthfully that was my second time with the test. I dedicated my entire summer, gave it my all and that was the result. So I dont think retaking it is going to do much.

This is my dream, I know I'd be a great physician, and I have a hard time giving it up over a stupid test. I'd like to think I still have a chance. What do you all think given my MCAT score?
There are definitely people with your MCAT score that have gotten into medical school. For those individuals, usually the MCAT was the only component of their application that was a bit low.

Are you applying this year or next year? Even if you're applying this year, you can take the January MCAT. I would suggest taking them over again. Yes, you do have a chance, but they would greatly improve with a few more points added to your score. Take a prep course, use Examcrackers, etc...Best of luck!

wow... I feel like I just read about myself. Those are nearly my exact stats and my situation. Athough, I will take the mcat again if that's what it comes down to.

To answer your question, people have been accepted with lower mcat scores (yet, every year gets more competitve). A promising thing is that applicants have been getting interviews for this cycle with scores near 20. This is what keeps me going, knowing that it's possible. Good luck to you and keep your head up... we'll never know unless we try. Here are some links to applicants that have been granted interview for this cycle with low 20's...

http://mdapplicants.com/viewprofile.php?id=6641
http://mdapplicants.com/viewprofile.php?id=6403
http://mdapplicants.com/viewprofile.php?id=5033

Good afternoon all,

My stats
7 on verbal
7 on physical
8 on bio

Overall GPA currently at 3.4

Here are my grades:

BIOLOGY IN SOCIETY A
INTRO CELL BIO & GENETICS A
GEN & INORGANIC CHEM C
GEN & INORGANIC CHEM LAB B
GEN & INORGANIC CHEM II B
GEN & INORGANIC CHEM II LAB A
ANIMAL FORM AND FUNCTION B+
GENETICS B
GENETICS LAB A-
ORGANIC CHEM C
ORGANIC CHEM LAB B
CELL BIOLOGY A-
MARINE BIOLOGY A-
ORGANIC CHEM II C
ORGANIC CHEM LAB B-
ELEMENTARY PHYSICS B-
ELEM PHYSICS LAB B+
ELEM PHYSICS II B+
ELEM PHYSICS II LAB A-

What are my chances for PCOM, LECOM, VCOM, WVCOM, NSU-COM, UMDNJ, NYCOM? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Good afternoon all,

My stats
7 on verbal
7 on physical
8 on bio

Overall GPA currently at 3.4

Here are my grades:

BIOLOGY IN SOCIETY A
INTRO CELL BIO & GENETICS A
GEN & INORGANIC CHEM C
GEN & INORGANIC CHEM LAB B
GEN & INORGANIC CHEM II B
GEN & INORGANIC CHEM II LAB A
ANIMAL FORM AND FUNCTION B+
GENETICS B
GENETICS LAB A-
ORGANIC CHEM C
ORGANIC CHEM LAB B
CELL BIOLOGY A-
MARINE BIOLOGY A-
ORGANIC CHEM II C
ORGANIC CHEM LAB B-
ELEMENTARY PHYSICS B-
ELEM PHYSICS LAB B+
ELEM PHYSICS II B+
ELEM PHYSICS II LAB A-

What are my chances for PCOM, LECOM, VCOM, WVCOM, NSU-COM, UMDNJ, NYCOM? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
You were thorough with your GPA and MCAT, but you didn't include information about your ECs, your LORs, and what you're looking for in terms of a medical school. Are you applying for this round or next round? If you're applying for this round, I hope you have already submitted your primary application. Your MCAT score is a bit low, but your GPA and grades are fine. When you do get interviews, you may have to explain your MCAT and the Cs that you have gotten. If you apply broadly, you should get interviews. To better your odds, I would apply next year and take your MCATs again. Also, if possible, retake your Orgo courses to improve your grades since your best grade is put forward on the AACOMAS. If you have specific questions, feel free to PM me. Otherwise, best of luck! :)

I have a 3.78 overall, 3.80 sci GPA BUT I scored a 20P (7V,7P, 6B) on the MCAT in 2004. I'm retaking in January. I'm using Examkrackers, but I don't feel like I'll be improving much. :( I applied to Nova, Bradenton, Touro-NV, and Western. Think I have a chance at one of those schools? I can't understand why I can get A's on almost every course at UCSD and Berkeley, and not be able to master 1 stupid test! BTW...I have great volunteer experience, leadership, awards, and LORs.

I have a 3.78 overall, 3.80 sci GPA BUT I scored a 20P (7V,7P, 6B) on the MCAT in 2004. I'm retaking in January. I'm using Examkrackers, but I don't feel like I'll be improving much. :( I applied to Nova, Bradenton, Touro-NV, and Western. Think I have a chance at one of those schools? I can't understand why I can get A's on almost every course at UCSD and Berkeley, and not be able to master 1 stupid test! BTW...I have great volunteer experience, leadership, awards, and LORs.

20P is kinda low. But your GPA is great and your EC's are good. From my experience, ADCOM's consider the entire package. And since your only weak point is your MCAT score, I'd say you have a decent chance at all those schools. Goodluck! :luck:

I have a 2.8 GPA but a 35R MCAT score (PS 12, VR 12, WS R, BS 11). I'm worried because I just applied now. How bad does it look for me? Be brutally honest :(

I have a 2.8 GPA but a 35R MCAT score (PS 12, VR 12, WS R, BS 11). I'm worried because I just applied now. How bad does it look for me? Be brutally honest :(

your mcat is incredible but with a low gpa, i'm not sure. i know that there is a cutoff of 3.0 for some schools, not sure which ones though. for the ones that don't, then you have a good chance. it does depend on whether the 2.8 gpa overall or science gpa. lucky for some of us, they do differentiate between the two. if your science gpa is in decent standing, you have a very good chance. also, extracurriculars are a big thing they also look at...clinical hours, shadowing, research will definitely help a lot.

i'm not gonna lie, applying later does have its disadvantages. but it's not TOO late yet. make sure you send your secondaries as soon as possible. i would advice around <3 days after receiving them. there is a thread on this forum on all the essay questions that are asked per school. i suggest that you go through the questions for the schools you applied to and answer them while waiting for the secondaries to arrive. in that way, as soon as they come in, you have them ready to be sent.

best of luck to you =)

Thanks for the reply, though it did hurt a bit :oops: . I didn't think about the essay questions being posted, so thanks x80 for that.

To clarify a little further...I used the NON-science classes to bring up my GPA and the 2.861 reflects that very terrible truth. I did get on the Dean's list on my last year, though. I was kinda hoping that the MCAT score would put me in a better light and convey that I'm not horrible at science. I only took the MCAT once on April 2006 after taking an ExamKrackers course in February 2006 and scored a 35R. Yeah...I'm one of those guys.

I'll just say that there were "mitigating circumstances" that ruined my academic record in college. Are there places that would even bother to listen to me with this kind of track record?

It has always been my dream to go to medical school and become a doctor. My senior year of high school, I went to Practical Nursing school and have a license as an LPN. I am now in college and not nearly done with my major so, I won't be applying to DO school in the near future, but I plan to. Here are my grades for my pre-reqs so far:

Bio I - C+
Gen. Chem I - A
Gen. Chem II - C

I have an overall GPA of 2.99 and a science GPA of 3.0. I was wondering if I should be getting worried about my chances of getting into medical school right now? I still have a long while to go with my major in Biology. As I said before, I have worked as an LPN in two hospitals. I am a resident assistant in college. I just need some advice...and a little bit of encouragement. Thanks!

I just got in with a 2.96/2.98, 28 MCAT. Lots of research, some volunteer. You'll do fine.

FURTHER QUESTIONS
DVICE? should i take the mcat agian in this january? will that allow me to take utilize that score for the Fall 2007 application? will they analyze my file before i take it actually? and then maybe if i am in limbo and i have brought my score up, that may give me a little nudge over? how does that work?

also. from checking up on this my scores are MOST competative at these schools, i used the forums osteopathic school checker tool and checking mdapplicants, a lot of people with similar scores to mine got accepted to lake eerie, new englad, and the last one i listed

-Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine
-New York College of Osteopathic Medicine of New York Institute of Technology
-University of New England College of Osteopathic Medicine
-West Virginia School of Osteopathic Medicine (WVSOM)
-Pikeville College School of Osteopathic Medicine (PCSOM)
-University of Osteopathic Medicine & Health Sciences College of Osteopathic Medicine & Surgery

any advice on these schools? does it matter what state you live in?

ALSO, with these scores, i hear that i will not be screened out or denied right out the gates.......so question is, i WILL get an interview still maybe from many of these schools? and i guess if i blow them away in the interviews it might just do the trick?

bump any other advice for me? lol sorry bout the bump

Hello all, new to the forum here, well actually have always read up, first time posting, your help and advice would be greatly appreciated.

I have graduated college with a Bachelors in Biology with a 3.12 GPA. My grades were low initially, but the increase and improvements in my grades can be significantly noted.

I stayed out a year(currently this year) to do a graduate level program. Its called a Masters in Biotechnology and Chemical analysis from Roosevelt University Chicago. Classes right now include, molecular bio, cell bio, devl bio, research, biochem. I would be done before Fall 2007. I did this program just so I could show schools that continuing progress and have grades to show for it, in addition its a graduate program and just being in it let alone doing well must mean something.

I have substantial volunteer work experience, non-profit health clinics, hospital, international volunteer work. Shadowed. Work a part-time job. Active leadership roles in school organizations. Many non-health volunteer activities as well. also have been involved in chemistry research for 2 yrs

With all that said, i just got my MCAT scores, the breakdown was 9V, 7B, 6P. basically a 22R. i am devestated as i really felt i did much better, was expecting around a 26-27. I took the test while in some serious family problems, i didnt want them to hold me back so i still took it.

I have applied to all the DO schools available, even the 2 new ones. What are my chances? I looked at the score breakdowns for many of these schools and many of them have average MCAT scores of 7-8, mine being just there.

Also, I know a few people that even got into Midwestern Chicago with quite similar scores, but they had much less extracurrics than I have had.

So please anyone able to gauge my chances of getting into any DO school? There must be a chance to get into atleast somewhere? IF anyone has any questions to further help them give me an answer please ask.

And yes, i am not applying to DO simply because I dont have numbers for MD schools, i had applied to bout 20 MD schools and 24 DO schools. I have extensively shadowed a DO (an uncle of mine), stood in surgeries with him as well, and the funny part is, he told me he was a DO after my first two visits to him. Thus i really respect the field and if anyone says they are not doctors, id tell them, go shadow one first and then talk.

again
undergrad gpa-3.12
mcat-22R
graduate gpa-pending
substantial extracurricular activites

what schools should i really focus on in trying to get in?

bump

Hey, I have similar stats, 29MCAT/2.91 GPA.

Did you have any luck getting in?

From what I understand of DO schools if there is anything they are unforgiving about, it's a lower than average GPA. My science GPA is not very good...It's only a 3.354. My non-science is a 3.86 and my overall is a 3.59. My MCAT is a 32 (10V, 10P, 12B). Maybe just with that raw data, a lot of people would say "Oh yeah, you'll definately get in." What really sucks about my science grades, though, is that I got my bad grades at the end of my junior and begining of my senior year. I know schools place a lot of emphasis on trends, and it looks like my grades went in the wrong direction at the end of my college career and in advanced classes. I had a lot of family issues coinciding with my poorer academic performances, but I'm afraid schools will just think I got lazy or started partying a lot, or something. Are there examples of people who got in, with a lacking science GPA, or worse a downturn in science grades?

I'm planning on retaking the MCAT in January, but what are my chances with my current stats? Thanks in advance :)

I am a Bio. Sci. major at UCI. My Overall GPA is 3.71 and my Bio GPA is 3.75. I got a 26O :( on the MCAT. I am an underrepresented minority. I have been doing research in the field of Type II Diabetes for 1.5 years. I have decent EC's and LOR. I would love to go to a DO school but MD is not out of the question.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you. :)

Has anyone noticed that "official" is spelled wrong in the title of this thread? That can't be a good sign...

Has anyone noticed that "official" is spelled wrong in the title of this thread? That can't be a good sign...

Hah.. I hadn't noticed... but that's really funny.

Has anyone interviewed at PCOM Georgia? If so, what's the school like? I like what I saw online, and am looking forward to seeing the school in person.