*~*~*~* The Offical "What are my chances/Where to apply for 2006-2007?" thread*~*~*~

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
could you guys tell us what schools you applied to and what schools you heard from if you dont mind?

Members don't see this ad.

it is really hard to choose. But i think the LECOMs, DCOM, PCSOM, and TUCOMs are a little bit easier than the rest. ....I am gonna get flamed for this prolly..
lol, you've learned well DrKuba. Offhand, I don't think Touro-CA is an easier school to get into since they are a screener school. Dr. Haight hand picks his students.

Members don't see this ad :)
?

Last edited:
Hello all,

I am quite devastated at the moment.. i just got my MCAT scores and i got a 22P. 8V 7/7. Now i have a cumulative gpa of 3.32 and a science gpa of 3.15. I have about 80 hours of volunteer work which i performed during my senior year in highschool. I shadowed at a local hospital for about 40 hours this past summer, in addition to volunteering in a research labratory for about 100 hours this summer as well. I also am involved in a few clubs here on campus and also am involvined in muay thai Kickboxing and Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. In relation to my gpa my,freshman year my overall was about a 3.0 so my grades have improved over time. During my first two years i commuted/worked due to financial circumstances. Furthermore i attend a private/competitive school, so my gpa would likely be higher if i had attended a less challenging school. I really feel like crap right now... what do you guys think?
You only have a chance if you apply. I know people who get in with your stats.

25Q: 8 8 9
3.6 GPA
A few years worth of laboratory experience.
Worked in physical therapy as well.
Three letters of rec, none from a D.O.

I'm studying again to retake the MCAT, but I'm going to finish the application process in case I get in somewhere... valid choice?

Ok, my Dad decided to go to med school when he was 38. He applied and had a 20P on his MCAT's and a 3.4 GPA. He got in to PCOM and applied in January (later than most applicants). So there is definitely a chance for you. You EC's are really good. That is where I have an advantage too because my MCAT scores are worse than yours. Just keep your head high and best of luck to ya!!

25Q: 8 8 9
3.6 GPA
A few years worth of laboratory experience.
Worked in physical therapy as well.
Three letters of rec, none from a D.O.

I'm studying again to retake the MCAT, but I'm going to finish the application process in case I get in somewhere... valid choice?

You should really try to shadow and get a DO letter. A few require a DO letter, most require either a DO or MD, and the others just look favorably on it. You are higher then average though so you can give it a shot. Just make sure u pick schools which dont require the DO letter.

Thanks a lot for the responses, I'm glad I have a shot. I made sure to only apply to schools that did not require a DO letter, and I will try to shadow as soon as possible if this application cycle doesn't work out.

Are people regularly accepted into D.O. schools with a 3.0 overall GPA, a 3.5 science, and a 33 MCAT?

There is an official "chances thread" for pre-osteo, but since you are here...I think you already know the answer to that question. MCAT / sci GPA are above avg (MCAT well above avg). Assuming you have clinicals and haven't commited any major crimes, you should be fine.

your science GPA and your MCAT scores are appropriate if not exceptional.

assuming you have a decent application (good letters, clinical exposure and interesting personal statement) then you should have little to no difficulty getting into plenty of DO programs.

Thanks immensely for the quick replies... I'm excited to still have a good chance even with a 3.0 overall GPA! Everyone I know has been telling me that I will never get in with that overall average. And I didn't know about the Chances section, thank you very much for directing me there... SDN is a GREAT find!

:love:

Members don't see this ad :)
3.0 is ok...not great but ok. The rest is great. I am sure you will get in alot of places. I just got into WVSOM and OUCOM with a 26 and a 3.45 so Id say you will get in. The 33 will be very attractive to schools.

here's my deal: i have a 3.58 overall and science (weird coincidence) and a 31 (13V, 9B, 9P). I have avergae volunteering and research. I'm a non-trad with two kids (currently a stay-at-home mom). BUT (this is a big but--um, I mean, a big however) I have a 2.6 grad school GPA. It was due to post-partum depression which i stated on my primary but I don't know that they really care (allo schools sure don't). I have since then done 2 years part-tme post-bacc and have a 4.0 in post-bacc science courses. Original degree and grad work was history. I didn't finish grad school. Do you think I have a shot? I am applying to LECOM, PCOM, and NJMD-SOM...:confused: :scared:

so ..3.0 cum/sci, 3 years research, loads of ec activities, but below 20 mcat. 2nd time taking it. i want to apply next year. any suggestions? what schools would you reccommend? i really dont want to give up.

Well, I wanted to know anybody's take on my chances at any of these schools; DMU, MSU, PCOM, NYCOM, NSU, CCOM, I have a 3.5 overall and a 3.4 sci, I got a 26 on my MCAT but with a weird break down 6P 9V 11B, I have tons of volunteering (also volunteering in a hospital), shadowed both MD and DO, letter of Rec from DO, and I am a Michigan Resident. What do you think.

here's my deal: i have a 3.58 overall and science (weird coincidence) and a 31 (13V, 9B, 9P). I have avergae volunteering and research. I'm a non-trad with two kids (currently a stay-at-home mom). BUT (this is a big but--um, I mean, a big however) I have a 2.6 grad school GPA. It was due to post-partum depression which i stated on my primary but I don't know that they really care (allo schools sure don't). I have since then done 2 years part-tme post-bacc and have a 4.0 in post-bacc science courses. Original degree and grad work was history. I didn't finish grad school. Do you think I have a shot? I am applying to LECOM, PCOM, and NJMD-SOM...:confused: :scared:

the great thing about osteopathic medical schools is that if you meet their minimum requirements, most will look at your whole application. i had a 2.8 gpa freshman year and i did get asked about it at my interviews, but i felt like i was given a chance to explain myself and that my explanation actually mattered. at both UMDNJ-SOM and PCOM the interviewers really took their time to review my app and asked pointed questions. your overall GPA and MCAT score are competitive for the schools that you listed, and i think the adcoms will be understanding of your situation. :luck:

What are my chances of getting into NSUCOM, PCOM-GA, and/or LECOM-B?

My GPA: 3.70 overall, 3.61 Sciences
MCAT: 24O: 9B, 8P, 7V

I have a good number of extracurriculars, volunteering/shadowing, and im currently shadowing a DO (neurology and sports medicine specialty).

I made 2 Cs in organic, however, i made an A in Biochem I.

besides that, I have strictly As and some Bs. No other Cs.

What are my chances for DO school admission ... especially into those 3 schools??

In general, you do have a good chance of securing a seat at those schools. Your MCAT score may be a little low, but I know of many applicants who have gotten into a school this cycle with a lower MCAT score.

You must apply before you can get interviews. If you haven't applied yet, I hope you will do it ASAP. Keep in mind that NSU requires a DO letter. Best of luck.

What are my chances of getting into NSUCOM, PCOM-GA, and/or LECOM-B?

My GPA: 3.70 overall, 3.61 Sciences
MCAT: 24O: 9B, 8P, 7V

I have a good number of extracurriculars, volunteering/shadowing, and im currently shadowing a DO (neurology and sports medicine specialty).

I made 2 Cs in organic, however, i made an A in Biochem I.

besides that, I have strictly As and some Bs. No other Cs.

What are my chances for DO school admission ... especially into those 3 schools??

so ..3.0 cum/sci, 3 years research, loads of ec activities, but below 20 mcat. 2nd time taking it. i want to apply next year. any suggestions? what schools would you reccommend? i really dont want to give up.

your stats are both on the low side. it would help to see the breakdown of your mcat. but if you have C's in some sciences, i would suggest you to retake some of these classes to increase your gpa. also, maybe trying the mcat one more time? most schools now adays are looking at mcats around 24ish. with the applicant pool getting more and more competitive each year, the mcat scores and gpas are rising. also, definitely, definitely APPLY EARLY. even as soon as the application comes out next year. best of luck to you, and APPLY EARLY!

I have 7 years medical experience, 5 years military experience, a 3.5 gpa, 6 recommendations one from an MD, but a 18P MCAT. Can I squeeze my self into DO school...lol?

I have 7 years medical experience, 5 years military experience, a 3.5 gpa, 6 recommendations one from an MD, but a 18P MCAT. Can I squeeze my self into DO school...lol?

Is this a...lol...serious question or are you just being a tool?

The 18 is killing you. Retake and improve, and you'll have a great shot.

I agree with the above poster. You have decent stats but need to up that MCAT. I think there are some schools that accept the Jan 2007 MCAT scores. I am not sure which ones, but calling the schools should point you at that information.

Good luck!

I think there are some schools that accept the Jan 2007 MCAT scores. I am not sure which ones, but calling the schools should point you at that information.

I think UNECOM is accepting January scores too.

I completely agree with the previous SDNer's responses, you should retake the MCAT asap and then apply to a broad amount of schools. In the MCAT to my opinion atleast make it to the mid twentie's and get some DO recommendation's as well, and you my freind a sweat shot...

Good Luck and hang in there....;)

I encourage you to retake the MCAT. Many schools will not look at a canindate that has an 18 MCAT so I strongly encourage you to retake it and get about a 24 or 25. Your GPA is fine and shows that you are fully capable of scoring much better than 18 in the near future.

Also, when applying be sure to apply to PCOM, they seem to like military people.

Best of wishes!

C&C

I have a 3.6 science and cum gpa. I took the MCAT twice and scored 18 both times (was working to much and taking 21 credit hours not enough time to focus on studying).First time 4 VR 6 PS 8 Bio, Second Time 8 VR 6 PS 4 BIO. I finally am taking a Kaplan course and planning to retake the MCAT in april. I want to apply to DO schools. I called them and they said they only look at your best score even if you have taken the test three times. Does this seem correct or will I have no chance with taking it three times, even if I do improve my score?

I have a 3.6 science and cum gpa. I took the MCAT twice and scored 18 both times (was working to much and taking 21 credit hours not enough time to focus on studying).First time 4 VR 6 PS 8 Bio, Second Time 8 VR 6 PS 4 BIO. I finally am taking a Kaplan course and planning to retake the MCAT in april. I want to apply to DO schools. I called them and they said they only look at your best score even if you have taken the test three times. Does this seem correct or will I have no chance with taking it three times, even if I do improve my score?

Your situation sounds very similar to your husbands, as you stated in the pre-podiatry forums. What's up with that?
Anyway, they said they take the best score, so if you score better next time around, which would be in January, then yes, you may stand a chance. However, be warned that only a handful of schools are taking apps with January MCAT scores this cycle.

I have a 3.25 overall (approx 3.1 sci basically fresh year i got all 2.0's and 2.5's turned it around as much as i could)

MCAT 27O 9 9 9
shadowed DO med students and residents
two summers worth of research, got published in medical journal Chest
lots of other EC (positions in clubs etc) and good LOR

my top choices are CCOM, MSU ( i go there for undergrad)

The thing is I submitted my primary last week of August, got back lots of secondaries but still working on them ( I want to have them out by the end of this week) ...

any help appreciated

I have a 3.55 overall gpa and 3.37 science gpa and a 25 and 23 on april and aug mcat respectively. wat are my chances in any d.o. schools in tri state area?? wat r my chances in other d.o. schools out of tri state area? Thanks in advance for whoever replies to this message

I have a 3.55 overall gpa and 3.37 science gpa and a 25 and 23 on april and aug mcat respectively. wat are my chances in any d.o. schools in tri state area?? wat r my chances in other d.o. schools out of tri state area? Thanks in advance for whoever replies to this message

Are we supposed to guess what three states constitute your "tri state area?" There are several areas of the country that have "tri state areas."
Your MCAT went down? Ouch! Does that account for your sudden interest in DO schools?

What is the breakdown on that 18P?

I am not in, but seriously, you will be competing with people like me and many others on this board that have a comparable or better GPA and a much better MCAT score. I am not putting you down, so please don't take this the wrong way. Take 2-3 months, study your a$$ off for the MCAT and apply next year.

BTW, check with the schools you plan on applying to next year (assuming you take my advice), because some schools COMBINE MCAT (or consider both). You need to look for schools that look at your most recent and/or best score. Good luck.

Mah bad, by tri state i meant ny nj n PA, n i have been interested in D.O from before, I applied to all DO schools before I received the scores for august

Are we supposed to guess what three states constitute your "tri state area?" There are several areas of the country that have "tri state areas."
Your MCAT went down? Ouch! Does that account for your sudden interest in DO schools?

I believe NY, NJ, and PA are make up THE TRI STATE AREA. If there are other areas in the country that claim they are the tri state area, they are simply posers.

Okay , so I got a 35 on my MCAT, but I have around ~3.2 overall GPA and ~3.0 science GPA. :(

Do I have a chance?! I applied through AAMC to MD schools, but I don't know I am scared Btw, how do you apply to DO schools?.

try applying at pscom and vcom. they look at grades alot more than mcat's/good luck!

Hey if you are willing to pay the high fees for some DO schools which are prohibative for many people who would usually get accepted into those DO schools then you can probably get accepted very easily to more then a few DO schools with higher fees.

But the problem is that you have to apply at the right time, see DO schools like medschools are stat hungry, they care more about higher GPA's then MCAT scroes, you can tell that by taking a look at their class profiles. If you can take a few real easy, even 100 level non-science courses to boost your GPA after you do not get accepted in this cycle then you are most likely going to get accepted in the next cycle. I know you may have taken harder courses then a liberal arts major with pre-med classes, but DO schools are stat ******, they dont really care where you got that 3.5 from as long as you have got one.

Because of your gpa and if you were to retake the MCAT and got a 21 or more then you would most likely get accpeted to more then a few DO schools, even now your chances are very good, but you may have to fork up higher fees for the type of DO schools which would accept you.

I believe NY, NJ, and PA are make up THE TRI STATE AREA. If there are other areas in the country that claim they are the tri state area, they are simply posers.

Uh ... let me take a wild guess ... you live in one of those three states?