The Official 01/28/2012 MCAT Club

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sutton

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
.Test Date.: Saturday, January 28, 2012
.Exam Start Time.: 1 p.m.
.Registration Opens.: October 12, 2011
...Tentative.. Score Release Date.: February 28, 2012
.After 5 p.m. ET.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey Guys! I need some advice! I took the MCAT without really studying and without taking a course, as my mother was diagnosed with breast cancer a few months before, and the princeton review course I signed up for was cancelled! I did well enough to get into some DO Schools and programs abroad, but my dream is to go where my mother went, University of Arizona, so I certainly need to raise my score!

When is the last date that we can take the MCAT to still apply for fall of 2013?
When are application usually due? I know they start accepting them early- I am just not sure how it works with re-taking the MCAT?
Are there normally classes that start AFTER June 10th (When I will be moving back home after graduating college) that will still allow me to take the MCAT early enough?
Do you guys have any reccomendations on which classes to take? I already have the Princeton Review books so I would love it if I didn't have to buy new ones/waste!

Thank you all so much for help/advice! I just 3 more points to be confident with my score!

Sorry to hear about your mother. Concern about love one & tried to stay clear head to study is very challenging & I do feel for you.

You have multiple questions that are related. It may be a good idea to peel it off step by step one at a time. First thing first.

1. Application for fall of 2013 starts June 1, 2012. (primary application).
2. Recommend latest MCAT tests for that is either late April or Early May.
3. What is your previous MCAT score ?

Sorry to hear about your mother. Concern about love one & tried to stay clear head to study is very challenging & I do feel for you.

You have multiple questions that are related. It may be a good idea to peel it off step by step one at a time. First thing first.

1. Application for fall of 2013 starts June 1, 2012. (primary application).
2. Recommend latest MCAT tests for that is either late April or Early May.
3. What is your previous MCAT score ?
Oh...so does that mean I would just have to take it in just a few months to still be eligible? I really do not want to take more than one year off. My plan was to use the spring to take care of my mother, study all summer then take it early in the fall. Does that not make sense?

I got a 26R....certainly not great, but all things considered with my family and my course being cancelled, I was ok with it. I got a 10 in BS and VR, and bombed PS!

You can take it as late as September and still be considered. Of course you would be really late in applying so I would suggest taking it by the beginning of July at the latest so can get your scores back fairly early in the application cycle. There are a lot of people on here that took as late as August and still got in.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone- congrats to all of you that achieved your desired scores!

I was not so fortunate, however. Both my PS and BS scores were almost exactly on par with my practice tests but my VR was horrendous. Going into the test, I felt confident with the VR (was consistently getting 10-11s on the aamc practice tests), but my actual score was far from the practice ones. I want to say that it was because I found the actual test's passages to be much longer than the practice ones and, for the first time, had to guess for most of the last passage in the section.

For people who have taken the test multiple times- did you find that the passages were consistently longer on the real tests? If so, do you have any suggestions in how I might be able to learn how to get better at speed reading in a month (I signed up for the 4/5 test so that the science material is still relatively fresh in my mind)? If the passages were just a little shorter I think I would be fine on the next test, but I don't like leaving this up to chance...

Same. I received a 11 on my first MCAT (2010) for VR, then for my 1/28 test I took the AAMC practice tests and was averaging ONLY 12 and 13's... come the actual 1/28 MCAT, I received a 6 on VR.

:confused::scared::rolleyes::(

Here's a lurker finally having something to say.
I didn't expect to take 17 months to finish this monster, but fourth time was the charm for me and I'm very grateful.

AAMC FL's first time around(december 2010): 26-33, avg 29
Jan 2011: P9 9V 10B
April 2011: P11 7V 10B
August 2011: Void after bombing verbal

Jan 2012: P13 11V 10B

Although I was fortunate enough to come out on top, I can't say "do this, that and some more, then you'll do well." I don't want to instill false hopes because, honestly, I could've just as easily scored another sub-30 despite the additional preparation after the first two 28's (stuck to Berkeley Review the entire duration and did many Kaplan, TPR, AAMC practice tests). And in that case, you wouldn't have heard from me until I finally did well, possibly never.

But do know that there are people who do well after many attempts and letdowns. For me, it was a constant struggle refusing to believe that my best effort had yet to come and resisting to be defined by my low previous scores. Hopefully we'll never be fools that let some number, low or high, to define who we are even though that's how med schools work.

If I did poorly again this time, I may have stopped trying. But I think I might've had just enough for one more, perhaps we all do. Congrats to everyone that's done, and if you decided you can do better, fight on.

I didn't expect to take 17 months to finish this monster, but fourth time was the charm for me and I'm very grateful.

Although I was fortunate enough to come out on top, I can't say "do this, that and some more, then you'll do well." I don't want to instill false hopes because, honestly, I could've just as easily scored another sub-30 despite the additional preparation after the first two 28's (stuck to Berkeley Review the entire duration and did many Kaplan, TPR, AAMC practice tests). And in that case, you wouldn't have heard from me until I finally did well, possibly never.

But do know that there are people who do well after many attempts and letdowns. For me, it was a constant struggle refusing to believe that my best effort had yet to come and resisting to be defined by my low previous scores. Hopefully we'll never be fools that let some number, low or high, to define who we are even though that's how med schools work.

If I did poorly again this time, I may have stopped trying. But I think I might've had just enough for one more, perhaps we all do. Congrats to everyone that's done, and if you decided you can do better, fight on.

Great perseverance, many congrats on your score, you deserve it:thumbup:

Oh...so does that mean I would just have to take it in just a few months to still be eligible? I really do not want to take more than one year off. My plan was to use the spring to take care of my mother, study all summer then take it early in the fall. Does that not make sense?

I got a 26R....certainly not great, but all things considered with my family and my course being cancelled, I was ok with it. I got a 10 in BS and VR, and bombed PS!

I agree with what Mountaineer said that you probably prefer to take MCAT no later than late July. But that may mess up your summer study plan. The problem is almost all medical schools are on rolling acceptance policy. The later you apply the small chance you will get.

Since you got 6 in PS the first time, I assume you definately wish to invest more time in PS. So, it is going to be very tight.:cool:

Congrats again everyone. We made it through studying, the test, and the month of waiting. Treat yourself a little regardless of how it went. I just enjoyed a celebratory cigar; life is good.

Just wanted to say congrats on the great score bro. It's nice to see some of the regulars that posted in this thread, leading up to the test, do well.

Acoustica - what was your method of studying? How many passages a day did you guys do?

I studied abroad over the summer, so started studying with a Kaplan in October. I have to say that Kaplan was not useful to me at all except for keeping me on top of my material review from October and November and providing me with all the aamc and kaplan practice exams and solutions. It was also nice that they had so many extra quizzes.

I spent Oct through the beginning of december reviewing material via the EK books (kaplan books were too wordy and had a lot of filler information that was not relevant, ie those stories!). Starting winter break (early dec) I did a lot of kaplan quizzes and did about 15ish Full Lengths, though for half of them I broke them down into sections rather than sitting down for 4ish hours and doing everything at once.

I kept a notebook where I would just write down concepts/material that I did not know and missed on the quizzes and practice exams. That was helpful in reviewing.

For Verbal, I didn't really start working on that specifically until late December/early January, where I started to do EK Verbal 101 passages and did about 4-5 passage a day, taking a break on them every few days or so.

I started working on full lengths mid December and did at least 3 a week.

Majority of my time studying was doing practice problems and practice exams rather than reading the subject books.

Last edited:
Just wanted to say congrats on the great score bro. It's nice to see some of the regulars that posted in this thread, leading up to the test, do well.

Thanks, I really appreciate it. Sorry to hear yours didn't go quite as well as you hoped :(

Hey Guys! I need some advice! I took the MCAT without really studying and without taking a course, as my mother was diagnosed with breast cancer a few months before, and the princeton review course I signed up for was cancelled! I did well enough to get into some DO Schools and programs abroad, but my dream is to go where my mother went, University of Arizona, so I certainly need to raise my score!

When is the last date that we can take the MCAT to still apply for fall of 2013?
When are application usually due? I know they start accepting them early- I am just not sure how it works with re-taking the MCAT?
Are there normally classes that start AFTER June 10th (When I will be moving back home after graduating college) that will still allow me to take the MCAT early enough?
Do you guys have any reccomendations on which classes to take? I already have the Princeton Review books so I would love it if I didn't have to buy new ones/waste!

Thank you all so much for help/advice! I just 3 more points to be confident with my score!

I'm also curious about this. I scheduled for the June 22 MCAT, but the only earlier one is May 31st and I'm afraid that's too early....I don't know if I can start studying immediately again. Is July 22 a pretty late time for an application to be approved? What's the earliest possible? I want to have the best chance, but I also want to prepare for the MCAT with a lot of time....

Well, they say that you should retake april/may to get your scores back in time for an early submission. July exam would mean august scores which would mean your application will get processed later, which would mean a lower chance of getting interviews, relative to applicants in June.

So what I'm getting at is that you can sign up to retake even before you get your scores back?
If so, good thing I don't need to, else I completely screwed myself over.

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats! What material did you use?Any advice?

Thank you. I used mostly ExamKrackers and a little of Berkely Review. What I did with examkrackers was basically took notes on the material in separate notebooks and looked over them over weekly so all the information was fresh in my mind. Besides that, just did all of the AAMC practice tests and Examkrackers 101 passages (I suck at verbal haha). I feel like the note taking really helped me. I shut myself in all winter break basically and focused on studying. Thank god I'm done with this test now.

Hey guys.

So I'm about to get ready for my retake. Kaplan was not good for me. For whatever reason I killed their full lengths, but AAMC's were a struggle. Does anyone have ideas about what books I should get? I need to pound away the sciences. Verbal is "ok" I guess. Thanks!

Hey guys.

So I'm about to get ready for my retake. Kaplan was not good for me. For whatever reason I killed their full lengths, but AAMC's were a struggle. Does anyone have ideas about what books I should get? I need to pound away the sciences. Verbal is "ok" I guess. Thanks!

Go for the Berkeley Review for Physics, G Chem, & O Chem. I used to TPR for Biology, and I actually did fine on BS,EK 101 for Verbal practice. The Berkeley books take a while to get so you may want to pay by credit card and make sure you pick the faster shipping option depending on when you are planning your retake. Or check the for sale ads on SDN as I'm sure a lot of people will be looking to sell their books.

Thanks to all those who offered positive retake stories and well wishes! They're definitely appreciated.

Last edited:

:thumbup:

Expected: 30
Real: 34 (VR 10 PS 11 BS 13)

I was shocked while I saw the result. Though I put in like 3 months to study for the test, my quality of work was poor due to my terrible study habit.
I did go through everything via my BR books, but only like once or twice. I can only say I was very lucky, and I decide not to retake.

Congrats to all of you who did well! If not, there is plenty of time to retake. Also, some of you with good scores are wondering if you should retake. If you got a 30-32, then you have a 36% chance of getting two or more points higher. There is also a 36% chance of doing the same or worse. Good luck to everyone!

AAMC Retake

Hello,

I had the same problem that you did. I took the test back in June of 2010, 11s in sciences and 6 in verbal. To bring it up, I read the most boring, monotone and verbose material you can think of for one hour/day. After reading every paragraph I would put the book down to recall as much information as possible. I started six months before the exam and, as time progressed, I moved on to reading three paragraphs at once and then recalling all info from them. It got me an 11. Trust me, it really works. Good luck.

For anyone who's bummed about their scores, I scored in the mid 20's my first time and made it up to 29 my second go and was just accepted to an MD program. Don't quit and remember that MCAT isn't everything.

Congrats to all of you that are happy with your scores... and good luck to all you retaking. There are countless stories on here of people retaking and making it in. Work hard and you can do it!

If it helps anyone, I took EK's advice on how to approach the verbal section from the get-go and ignored Kaplan's and everyone else's advice, so I never had too much trouble with the verbal.

I literally do the 5 sec breaks between passages and the reading arrogantly and the mini pep talks throughout and it has actually been pretty fun.

If it helps anyone, I took EK's advice on how to approach the verbal section from the get-go and ignored Kaplan's and everyone else's advice, so I never had too much trouble with the verbal.

I literally do the 5 sec breaks between passages and the reading arrogantly and the mini pep talks throughout and it has actually been pretty fun.

Yeah I do the same. Didn't triage passages just trucked through them and imagined the narrator in funny ways to make everything even the most boring passages appeal to me. Worked magic on test day. No clue how I got a 12 haha

I finally checked my score, 25Q. I guess I should be counting my blessings as I guessed most of PS since I couldn't think. It's heartbreaking really, given that I was scoring 30+ on my AAMCs and I studied all fall. I skipped out on so much just to study. All of that time wasted. I never got below a 10 for VR, and I got an 8 on the real thing. Even in BS, I always scored 10+, yet now I got a 9. I don't think I've ever been so discouraged or felt like a failure as much as I do now. If I didn't have to get up for work, I'd just stay in my room and cry all day.

Any tips on how not to be majorly depressed? My next one is April 13th, but I can't fathom how I'm going to muster up the motivation or strength to try again. All I can think of when I open up anything MCAT related is how much I messed up and what a total screw up I am. :(

You are not a screwup! Sounds like you just had some test day anxiety which I assure you is VERY common, even for people that did well. If you're re-taking it you need to get your head back in the game and soon. So things didn't go great on test day. But you should be aware of how many re-takers end up doing well. I know MANY people personally who retook and did great their second time. The MCAT is hard, but YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!!!

I finally checked my score, 25Q. I guess I should be counting my blessings as I guessed most of PS since I couldn't think. It's heartbreaking really, given that I was scoring 30+ on my AAMCs and I studied all fall. I skipped out on so much just to study. All of that time wasted. I never got below a 10 for VR, and I got an 8 on the real thing. Even in BS, I always scored 10+, yet now I got a 9. I don't think I've ever been so discouraged or felt like a failure as much as I do now. If I didn't have to get up for work, I'd just stay in my room and cry all day.

Any tips on how not to be majorly depressed? My next one is April 13th, but I can't fathom how I'm going to muster up the motivation or strength to try again. All I can think of when I open up anything MCAT related is how much I messed up and what a total screw up I am. :(

A lots of times, the journey of success built on temporary distractions like you just experienced. You have 6 weeks to prepare & you have been there & done that :D. IT IS YOUR NERVES & NOTHING ELSE.

Take a deep breath! The sky is NOT falling. Believe in yourself & stay focus & move ONE DAY at a time & don't look at that stupid calender ;). YOU CAN & YOU WILL SUCCEED. :p:luck: Cheer!

I'm in very similar place as you, although I managed to score slightly higher, not that it matters because it still wasn't good enough.

Just look at it objectively. If you choose not to gear up for the April test then you'll have to do it sometime in the future when all of the material isn't as fresh in your memory, that's what I'm trying to use to motivate me, even though I definitely feel down about my performance. I too got a 9 VR, and I usually had a consistent 10, but at least it beat the 4-5 I feared I scored. I think I choked when I saw the difficultly of the first 2 passages and it messed me up. I'm also looking at the silver-lining which is I'm now eligible for DO schools, and I wasn't before Tuesday. So at the very least I took something out of Tuesday.

PS kicked my ***, and the sad thing is I thought it was my best PS ever so I don't really know where I went wrong. I'm just considering this exam an anomaly since it didn't represent my true abilities, and it sounds like you're in a similar place.

Fall down 9 times, stand up 10. Brush it off and get back to work! :D

I don't really comment much, but I just want to say that seeing all these posts makes me feel a little better simply because there are other people who are in my shoes too. I think the moment when a person truly fails at something is when they give up on it and accept that it's impossible for them. I think it's going to be a real pleasure working with people like you in the future.

I don't really comment much, but I just want to say that seeing all these posts makes me feel a little better simply because there are other people who are in my shoes too. I think the moment when a person truly fails at something is when they give up on it and accept that it's impossible for them. I think it's going to be a real pleasure working with people like you in the future.

Whats that supposed to mean, people like me? Are you being sarcastic? And for the record, it's not impossible, and I'm not in the least bit giving up.

Whats that supposed to mean, people like me? Are you being sarcastic? And for the record, it's not impossible, and I'm not in the least bit giving up.

I think he means well. He's saying that you've only failed when you think something's impossible and you give up. Sounds like words of encouragement to me.

I think he means well. He's saying that you've only failed when you think something's impossible and you give up. Sounds like words of encouragement to me.

TinaBina22,

As lipton said, Forthefuture meant well, & all of us here support you!

Thanks, I really appreciate it. Sorry to hear yours didn't go quite as well as you hoped :(

Thanks man! I'll get over it eventually. I'm trying to look on the bright side, in that I met the minimum score I would be comfortable applying with (just barely though:laugh:) I just probably won't be able to stay in the great state of Wisconsin.:cool:

Based on what you're saying it seems you know the material well and you have the talent to succeed as well. Just relax! I wouldn't even stress out too much preparing between now and your retake - of course, keep everything fresh in your mind, but my perspective is that you need to figure out how to change your psychology or mindset so that you can just be yourself during the test. Be confident. Know that you know your stuff. You can absolutely do fantastic on this test. You just have to make yourself believe that.

can't believe it has taken me this long to post my score especially when i regularly visited this thread during the month long wait.

First mcat (4/29/2011) : PS:7, VB:7, BS:8 Total: 22 ( this score was released on my
b-day and guess how old i turned that day....22!....cruelest coincidence ever!!!!)

Retake (1/28) : PS:10: VB:11, BS: 11 Total: 32

I consider myself to be of average intelligence, so i firmly believe that if i can improve my score by 10 points, then anyone can. All it takes is hard work, loads of practice with taking mcat-style passages/questions and persistence.

Edit: i thought i would add my average scores
AAMC average: 28-29
Kaplan average: 30
Predicted Score: high 20s
For those studying for a retake, please understand that you are not any less capable than those of us who got a desired score. You have already seen the real beast so you have a good understanding of what true mcat style questions look like. Just keep pushing forward and you will succeed.

Last edited:
Wow that is cruel, and congrats!

Anyway, thanks everyone for the support and encouragement. I'm too rough on myself I think. I put too much pressure on myself to do well and that's where it screwed me over. I just started again today with BR, and it's tough. I feel like I've forgotten everything :(

But hopefully spending a couple of days studying will restrengthen my MCAT neural connection pathways and I'll be my lean mean MCAT studying machine typical self by next week. A girl can only dream. I just hope I haven't forgotten too much.

Wow that is cruel, and congrats!

Anyway, thanks everyone for the support and encouragement. I'm too rough on myself I think. I put too much pressure on myself to do well and that's where it screwed me over. I just started again today with BR, and it's tough. I feel like I've forgotten everything :(

But hopefully spending a couple of days studying will restrengthen my MCAT neural connection pathways and I'll be my lean mean MCAT studying machine typical self by next week. A girl can only dream. I just hope I haven't forgotten too much.

Don't single yourself out! Know that you aren't the only one who has to struggle with a retake. I, too had to deal with retaking when I somehow scored a 7 in Verbal when I was averaging 10-12 in practice. It was a blow to my confidence and also an "Oh @%$#" moment when I realized I had to go through the ordeal again.

For me, it was the constant reminder that I must work hard, no matter what. If not now, then I will at some future point in life. It's OK to mope and commiserate once in a while, but in the end that gets you nowhere, and you can be sure that a future employer won't expect you to cry a failure off, but to learn from it, shrug it off and move on.

Finally, don't take for granted that you have the ability to score in your desired range in practice - many people would probably kill for that kind of reassurance and potential. If you can do it multiple times, you can certainly pull it off on the real thing, and that much is certain. We all choke - sometimes it doesn't happen at the best of times but we make do. Chin up, and practice, practice, practice!

Good luck on your retake! :)

Don't single yourself out! Know that you aren't the only one who has to struggle with a retake. I, too had to deal with retaking when I somehow scored a 7 in Verbal when I was averaging 10-12 in practice. It was a blow to my confidence and also an "Oh @%$#" moment when I realized I had to go through the ordeal again.

For me, it was the constant reminder that I must work hard, no matter what. If not now, then I will at some future point in life. It's OK to mope and commiserate once in a while, but in the end that gets you nowhere, and you can be sure that a future employer won't expect you to cry a failure off, but to learn from it, shrug it off and move on.

Finally, don't take for granted that you have the ability to score in your desired range in practice - many people would probably kill for that kind of reassurance and potential. If you can do it multiple times, you can certainly pull it off on the real thing, and that much is certain. We all choke - sometimes it doesn't happen at the best of times but we make do. Chin up, and practice, practice, practice!

Good luck on your retake! :)

TinaBina22 ,

We all come from various background, and we share how you feel. At least for myself, I try to find a way to explain to you that your situation happened to others too. What IncognitoGuy said is right on target & can't be better well explain

You are in a position far beyond a lot of people can even get there. Yes, BELIEVE IN YOURSELF, "FIGHTING" :luck:

Last edited:
I've posted this in the "Official Should I retake thread" but have decided to post here also to have extra eyes look over it.

Ok here's my situation:
I received a 33P (PS: 14, VR: 7, BS: 12)

I attend a state school, lots of ECs (leadership, clinical, etc.), about a year's worth of research (few abstracts/poster presentations, no publications), and 4.00 science GPA with a 3.94 overall. What should I do? I really don't want to put myself through another brutal time lapse of what is known as MCAT studying lol, but will the 7 in verbal screen me out of schools? I'm look to apply to roughly 12 schools, with about 3 or 4 being top 20; the rest of the schools having scores of 33-34 as the median 50%. I also consider myself disadvantaged socioeconomically and especially with my educational background (poorest county in the state)

I've posted this in the "Official Should I retake thread" but have decided to post here also to have extra eyes look over it.

Ok here's my situation:

I attend a state school, lots of ECs (leadership, clinical, etc.), about a year's worth of research (few abstracts/poster presentations, no publications), and 4.00 science GPA with a 3.94 overall. What should I do? I really don't want to put myself through another brutal time lapse of what is known as MCAT studying lol, but will the 7 in verbal screen me out of schools? I'm look to apply to roughly 12 schools, with about 3 or 4 being top 20; the rest of the schools having scores of 33-34 as the median 50%. I also consider myself disadvantaged socioeconomically and especially with my educational background (poorest county in the state)

I would suggest posting in the What Are My Chances section. While lurking in there, I've heard them say 7s often get screened, but that there a few MD schools that look at composite score instead of the score breakdown. They should be able to give you pretty good advice. I'm not an expert or anything, but from what I've heard, the 7 may make it tough, but I think someone will give you a shot. Good luck!

De-lurking because these threads have been helpful in gauging my progress.

AAMC Average: 39.75 (not including 6)
Range: 37-42
Expected: 32 (12/7/13)
Actual: 41R (14/12/15)

Ignore your post-test emotions. I was THISCLOSE to signing up again, since I knew verbal was going to make or break me... and I felt broken afterwards. Just so relieved I don't have to go through that process ever again. Will do a more detailed post in the 30+ MCAT thread at some point.

Best of luck to all.

To everybody who did not get their desired score,
Don't let a low score get you too down! I scored a 26 with a 6 in PS when I took the test last March. But I worked really hard and was able to get my score up to a 32 with a 10 in PS on the 1/28/12 MCAT. So don't give up on yourself, you can do it!

Ok here's my situation:

It's a tough call, but I think you should retake it. The 7 might hurt you with those top 20's.

Hey fellow 1/28ers I have a question for you guys,

I took my first MCAT 1/28 and got a 31P (9PS/9VR/13BS). My AAMC average was a 34 and I never got below 10 in any section in my practice tests. I feel like the PS score was just nerves and the verbal section the hardest of any section on the test. I'm planning on applying md/phd but I feel my score won't be competitive at nationally funded programs. I plan on applying broadly (some not nationally funded) but my goal schools are:
UAB
Vanderbilt
Wake Forest
Emory
USF
Colorado
South Carolina
UNC
VCU

When I apply I will have 2 years research experience, Awarded 2 undergrad research fellowships, 2 presentations (one at a national conference) and the possibility of being on a publication as an author (most likely) or primary author (maybe). I also have a 4.0 gpa and good shadowing/ECs.

Should I retake? If so would a June 21 test date be too late for the upcoming application cycle?

Thanks in advance