The Official 1/29/2011 MCAT Club!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MilkIsGood

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
For everyone taking the MCAT on Jan 29th.

I'm glad they offer afternoon tests

Members don't see this ad.

My first time posting:
I've been reading this thread for the past week due to ovewhelming anxiety associated with the score release and I have noticed that some people on this forum are either extremely ridiculously smart and annoying or they are just plain liars.

And while you pretentions losers complain about how depressed you are that you got scores in the high 30's.....
I just wanna take the time out to say that I got a 27M and I'm still going to med school!! bahaha!!! It's guaranteed cuz I'm in JAMP b.i.t.c.h (google it) Now..eat your hearts out.

Ahem..To the rest of the "regulars" like moi that scored in the acceptable 20's..I commend you. Don't beat urself up..study hard if ur gonna retake, apply to D.O if u feel the need, or if ur in a situation like mine PARTY LIKE ITS 1999.

That is all.

:confused:

Man the MCAT does weird things to people. :laugh:

Congrats in any case! Feels good that the wait is over right?

36r

10 vr 14 ps 12 bs

damn vr, why did you betray me?

Good luck to everyone else.

I'm really unhappy about the vr, since the other two scores were in range for me and i never came close to a 10 in the practice tests.

Oh well... For posterity:

---------------------------------------------------------------
running list of fls:
Average = 38.89

aamc 11 01/27/11 - 39 = 12ps, 13vr, 14bs (91%; 13 missed; 7 ps, 2 vr, 4 bs)
aamc 10 01/24/11 - 38 = 14ps, 12vr, 12bs (91%; 13 missed; 2 ps, 3 vr, 6 bs)
aamc 09 01/22/11 - 37 = 13ps, 11vr, 13bs (91%; 13 missed; 4 ps, 5 vr, 4 bs)
aamc 08 01/17/11 - 40 = 13ps, 15vr, 12bs (92%; 12 missed; 4 ps, 1 vr, 7 bs)
aamc 07 01/13/11 - 41 = 13ps, 15vr, 13bs (93%; 10 missed; 5 ps, 1 vr, 4 bs)
aamc 06 01/11/11 - 40 = 14ps, 14vr, 12bs (92%; 11 missed; 3 ps, 1 vr, 7 bs)
aamc 05 12/12/10 - 36 = 12ps, 12vr, 12bs (88%; 18 missed; 6 ps, 5 vr 7 bs)
aamc 04 11/22/10 - 38 = 13ps, 12vr, 13bs (90%; 15 missed; 4 ps, 5 vr, 6 bs)
aamc 03 10/28/10 - 41 = 14ps, 14vr, 13bs (96%; 6 missed; 1 ps, 1 vr, 4 bs)

congrats!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
question for those who got a 32+... how long did you study for and what prep did you use? :) congrats, you're so lucky you're done!~!!!!

and I really don't want to retake.. hoping to take it once.. so any advice on how to make that happen?

Lol I know this sounds crazy, I wanted to know if anyone who got the score that they needed and used TBR will be willing to sell their books (i.e minimal marks and highlighting) for an affordable price?

Well first off, I want to congratulate everyone on their stellar scores. I am truly impressed at the number of 30, 35+ scores I see on here. You guys truly deserve it and I wish you the best.

Unfortunately for me, I didn't do very well.
5 Verbal, 7 on Physical and 10 on Bio. I'm going to have to retake obviously. I need to get that Verbal score up somehow and I was wondering those with such high verbal scores...what did you use?

I'm guessing everyone used TBR for Physical as that seems to be the consensus on the forums.

By the look of it, there seems to be some really great scores...is the myth that January MCAT's are curved more generously, then, essentially true?

I used test prep new york to help me with verbal - I was scoring 6 and 7's on the AMC practice exams and scored a 9 JAN 28.

I'm unsure if i want to retake it. I really wanted at least a 36 but ended up with a 34. I most likely wont retake. I'm just glad to be done with it.

VR: 10 (1.5 below avg.) PS: 13 (1 below avg) BS: 11 (Avg)

WS: M :eek: (I did NOT FINISH one of the passages)

I'm unsure if i want to retake it. I really wanted at least a 36 but ended up with a 34. I most likely wont retake. I'm just glad to be done with it.

VR: 10 (1.5 below avg.) PS: 13 (1 below avg) BS: 11 (Avg)

WS: M :eek: (I did NOT FINISH one of the passages)

Last edited:
I've been lurking here for probably 2 months so I thought I might as well post.

Verbal Reasoning: 11 Physical Sciences: 12 Biological Sciences: 13 Writing: R

Total: 36R

AAMC practice tests were all 34-38. I'm extremely happy, as I promised myself if I got 36 or above I wouldn't retake it. I was hoping for 37 or 38, but I'm extremely stoked I did this well as I felt completely awful walking out out of it.

I don't know how curved Bio was but after that crazy ochem passage and some other bizarre questions my spirit was broken and I thought I had done horrible. Yet I got a 13. And Verbal Reasoning I thought wasn't easy but was pretty reasonable, yet I got an 11 (on the low end of my verbal scores from practice tests) Just goes to show how off my perceptions were of how it went.

In any event, the stress is done and now I can just focus on my GPA and my research! : )

Members don't see this ad :)
34M
PS - 12
VR - 10
BS - 12

Not bad considering my last prereq was taken over 6 years ago. Hopefully schools don't care about the writing score cause I could care less.

34Q (12ps, 10vr, 12bs) on real thing.

Average of AAMC's was 33.88
AAMC 3 12/26/2010 - 37 (13ps, 9vr,15bs)
AAMC 4 1/3/2011 - 29 (10ps, 9vr, 10 bs)
AAMC 5 1/6/2011 - 36 (13ps, 11vr, 12bs)
AAMC 7 1/13/2011 - 33 (12ps, 8vr, 13bs)
AAMC 8 1/15/2011 - 33 (12ps, 8vr, 13bs)
AAMC 9 1/18/2011 - 33 (12ps, 9vr, 12bs)
AAMC 10 1/22/2011 35 (12ps, 10vr, 13bs)
AAMC 11 1/26/2011 34 (13ps, 9vr, 12bs)

I basically used SN2ed's plan, so mostly TBR materials except for EK for bio and verbal. The first time I even looked at an essay was the night before my actual test. I'm looking to sell my study materials (no markings) if anyone's interested.

Haha. Verbal owned me again. V7 P13 B12 32P Verbal is really hard to handle. I do not know if I will retake this again? Input anyone? But it sure does good to know early in this year. :)

35R (12, 11, 12, R)

Anyway, THANK THE LORD ALMIGHTY for the 11 Verbal b/c I thought for sure I got a 9.

The score isn't fantastic, but it's good and well-balanced, and should be enough to get me at least interviews/secondaries at all the schools I want to apply to.

moreover,

IT'S OVAAAAAAA!!!!

good luck to everyone!

Last edited:
35Q!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PS 13
VR 09
BS 13

Obviously I'm upset at the VR but I'm so happy with my score! I think Kaplan gets a bad rep around here but they are awesome for the sciences and I feel like their FL prepared me far better than AAMC.

For those who are interested, my Kaplan full length average was ~38 (a little inflated) and my AAMC average was ~35. So yeah, AAMC is a better predictor, but my score would have been much lower without Kaplan. Kaplan <3.

The only thing I'm concerned about is verbal...but I'm still estatic!

Thanks man. Congratz on your score. I think you deserve to get one the MD/PhD seats. and wish you luck with that. Your MCAT score seems up to par with some people I know who went to MD/Ph.D. :thumbup:
I'm going to keep volunteering and shadow some doctors (I have only shadowed one). My application seems to be in good shape. As long I get in somewhere!

Thanks so much for the motivational words. Really appreciate it.
I'll spend some time with my friends and forget abt the MCAT now!
I'm happy that I won't have to take it again.

Hey man, you still got a great score, but why are you don't you consider re-taking? This test was an outlier and your scores prove it. I know you want to get on with your life but you're obviously capable of getting a good score. Good luck man.

Hey man, you still got a great score, but why are you don't you consider re-taking? This test was an outlier and your scores prove it. I know you want to get on with your life but you're obviously capable of getting a good score. Good luck man.

After talking to a few friends, I'm now seriously considering a retake.
Its just the month I cannot decide on..

any suggestion?
My exams end on may 12th.. but that is not keeping me from thing abt the late april MCATs.. or even the mid May ones..

but since this will be my second time, I'll have to make sure I decide on the best date.

34M
PS - 12
VR - 10
BS - 12

Not bad considering my last prereq was taken over 6 years ago. Hopefully schools don't care about the writing score cause I could care less.

lol. congratulations man. I got the exact same score 34M except i had 1 higher in PS and 1 lower in BS. What happened in your essay? I couldn't finish one of mine. I got cut off in the middle of a word as I was trying desperately to tie it all together at the end.

any suggestion?
My exams end on may 12th.. but that is not keeping me from thing abt the late april MCATs.. or even the mid May ones..

but since this will be my second time, I'll have to make sure I decide on the best date.
I scored a 31R (10/11/10). I'm disappointed cause I was shootin for >34.
Definitely retaking though.

If i'm aiming to retake in late May, do you guys think I'll be at a disadvantage in the application process? cause i'll end up getting my scores in late June/early July.

Congrats to all those who conquered the MCAT with the great scores I see in this thread! To those of you who were left unsatisfied-I bestow upon you a [virtual] sword mightier than Excalibur-forged in the fires of Hell from which the MCAT itself spawned...Rise up and slay the beast once and for all!

any suggestion?

Late April sounds about right so you can submit by June 1. Honestly, you shouldn't let one bad test ruin your dreams. If you're happy with your 32, then so be it, but if you're confident you can replicate your practice scores, then I would be all for a re-take. I don't know what you used to prepare, but I honestly thought the AAMC tests don't prepare you at all.

It's not like you have to re-study everything. Just get more practices tests and get into that flow again. Based on your practice scores, this test was an outlier.

any suggestion?

I've got to admit, I would be retaking it in your position given your practice scores (as much as the thought of sitting for this test again makes me cringe). I won't even deny that I had a split moment of insanity wondering about my own score. It quickly resolved itself, but I would be lying if I said it didn't momentarily race across my mind, nerves made brittle and good sense partially eroded from all the waiting!

But, that's as an MD/PhD applicant... as an MD only applicant I'm not completely convinced its worth the trouble. Hard to say.

I am soooo happy! My real score was 4 points above my average!!!

Practice test scores:

AAMC 3: PS:13 VR:12 BS:13 Total: 38
AAMC 4: PS:14 VR:13 BS:12 Total: 39
AAMC 5: PS:14 VR:11 BS:13 Total: 38
AAMC 7: PS:15 VR:12 BS:13 Total: 40
AAMC 8: PS:14 VR:11 BS:12 Total 37
AAMC 9 (first diag)- PS:10 VR:10 BS:10 Total: 30
AAMC 10: PS:12 VR:9 BS:14 Total: 35
AAMC 11: PS:13 VR:12 BS:14 Total: 39

Real test (1/29/11): PS:14 VR:14 BS:14 Total: 42O :D

Hope this information helps someone out! Good luck on your endeavors everyone!

BTW, will my writing score hurt me in med school admissions at all?

Real test (1/29/11): PS:14 VR:14 BS:14 Total: 42O :D

Now that's what I call balanced! Congrats!

lol@your first SDN post:

Hey guys,

This is my first time posting on SDN. I took the MCAT yesterday as well and my experience was just about the same as most of you :scared: I want to register for an April test now just in case I don't do as well as I would like. But when I log onto register, it just shows my old registration and doesn't give me an option to register again. Does anyone know when is the soonest I can register for a new test?

For those of you who are planning to retake it, what will you use to practice full lengths since we have used the AAMCs practice tests first time through :( Any suggestions? Also, did anyone have a great experience with a fast track sort of prep course and with who?

For those of you who are planning to retake it, what will you use to practice full lengths since we have used the AAMCs practice tests first time through :( Any suggestions? Also, did anyone have a great experience with a fast track sort of prep course and with who?

I am wondering the same thing as well. I previously took AAMC# 1-10. I am presently enrolled in a Kaplan course. So of course, I plan on taking the Kaplan FL's as well as AAMC#11. Should I retake AAMC#1-10, or substitute those exams with another company's exams? If so, which company?

Am I the only one who checked this morning to make sure my score hadn't changed overnight? I woke up this morning convinced I had read it wrong lol

I am wondering the same thing as well. I previously took AAMC# 1-10. I am presently enrolled in a Kaplan course. So of course, I plan on taking the Kaplan FL's as well as AAMC#11. Should I retake AAMC#1-10, or substitute those exams with another company's exams? If so, which company?

I would take Kaplan #10 and #11. I felt like those tests were in tune with what we had on 1/29.

congrats to all those who conquered the mcat with the great scores i see in this thread! To those of you who were left unsatisfied-i bestow upon you a [virtual] sword mightier than excalibur-forged in the fires of hell from which the mcat itself spawned...rise up and slay the beast once and for all!

you have my bow!

Also, if I had to say so, I'd say that the Kaplan tests were harder than the AAMC test, but the curve was also easier. To get a roughly comparable score, I had to be more careful to make sure I didn't **** up.

29Q

VR - 11
PS - 8
BS - 10

Wished it could have been at least a 30. I'm almost confused enough by my breakdown that I want it rescored by hand....verbal was lowest and physical was highest on my previous MCAT. Maybe I just overcompensated in studying??

Edit:
My AAMC scores off the top of my head were 28, 29, 31, 30, 30, 30. Not a huge deviation from my average at all.

I had the same problem! I feel like I was generally scoring lowest in VR and highest in PS on the AAMCs, but I got the reverse on the real thing.

REAL THING: I got a 34Q- 10 PS, 13 VR, 11 BS.

I am disappointed my science scores are not higher. I am shocked by the VR score. I guess I am bewildered overall. I did get within range of my scores on the AAMCs, but on the low end so I am a little sad about that.

I definitely feel that I could have done better on the science portions. In terms of the actual test, I did personally find the PS section to be the hardest. I thought the material and questions were a lot harder compared to the AAMCs. I also think it might've been nerves and the shock of the actual exam that factored into that first section being the hardest for me. I guess that's reflected in my actual score. I'm not sure what to make of my BS score. While I thought this section was the least surprising, I came out of the test unsure of a lot of my answers. I guess I can't complain about a 11, though I was hoping for a 12.

I actually thought VR was tough too. I only remember the geology passage, and I remember thinking WTF! I could not make any sense of what it was saying. Perhaps because that one passage is the only one that stands out in my mind, it left the impression that VR was quite hard. Thus, you can imagine my shock at scoring highest in that section.

What I got on the AAMCs, in the order I took them:
Test 3: 33- 11 PS; 12 VR; 10 BS (82%)
Test 10: 35- 12 PS; 11 VR; 12 BS (90%)
Test 11: 34- 11 PS; 11 VR; 12 BS (83%)
Test 9: 36- 13 PS; 11 VR; 12 BS (90%)
Test 4: 34- 12 PS; 11 VR; 11 BS (86%)
Test 5: 36- 13 PS; 11 VR; 12 BS (86%)
Test 7: 34- 11 PS; 10 VR; 13 BS (85%)
Test 8: 35- 13 PS; 10 VR; 12 BS (86%)

I imagine that if your scores are pretty tight like mine were, the AAMCs will give a good estimate of what you'll get on the real thing. Then again, per section, I would have expected something like 12 PS, 11 VR, and 12 BS...

Anyway, good luck to you all!

I feel like our little SDN group might represent the top 5-10 percent of MCAT takers. I am so happy to be apart of our group. I will probably be switching to the application forums, so best of luck to everyone applying this year....hopefully we'll see each other during interview season and never know hahah.

For those who made 30+, congratulations on your success. You guys deserve it. :) Please consider sharing your tips on the 30+ thread.

For those who didn't get the score they wanted, don't give up! :xf:

Dug up my aamc practice scores

(PS,VR,BS)
AAMC3: 34 (12,10,12)
AAMC6: 35 (11,11,13)
AAMC4: 37 (12,11,14)
AAMC5: 34 (12,11,11)
AAMC7: 35 (12,10,13)
AAMC8: 33 (10,10,13)
AAMC9: 37 (14,10,13)
AAMC10: 33 (12,10,11)
AAMC11: 36 (12,10,14)
average of 34.9

Real: 38 (14,11,13)

Congrats Milk! That is an awesome score- I'm happy for you.

I feel like our little SDN group might represent the top 5-10 percent of MCAT takers. I am so happy to be apart of our group. I will probably be switching to the application forums, so best of luck to everyone applying this year....hopefully we'll see each other during interview season and never know hahah.
I look forward to seeing where our little cohort ends up!

Very happy with the results from 1/29 - a balanced 35P.

I went at this test a few years ago and scored an unbalanced 29 having prepared with a Kaplan self course. For me, Kaplan just didn't teach the actual test material enough. I used entirely EK this last time and it really did wonders for me. I took every mcat based class over 5 years ago and I thoroughly enjoyed the EK review. I especially liked how they assigned priority to all the information presented in the books. I found these assignments to be very accurate. If you are like me - you love and know science and just need a mcat specific review to help boost your score- I can't recommend EK enough.

I just want to give a little hope to everyone who didn't perform as well as they hoped...sometimes a small change can make a big difference! :)

Also - for those of you who might be concerned about AAMC practice exams not matching up:

Test 3: 33
Test 5: 34
Test 7: 35
Test 10: 36
Test 11: 35

So all of you with spring exam dates worrying about how everyone's score crashed on the real thing just stop already! You are going to make yourselves choke! :)

Congrats on getting your scores back everyone! And thank you so much for listing your aamc practice scores too.

For those of you who scored really high on the biological sciences section (12+) --- how did you study for this section? Did you use flashcards? How do you deal with the heavy volume of memorizing (i.e. I feel like a lot of bio questions I miss because I did not memorize something well)?

I'm studying for the Apr MCAT right now and am having a lot of trouble getting biological science to improve at all (started a 10 in October and still a 10 in March)

PS 12; Verbal 12; BS 11; total: 35Q
not bad right? but my cousin who studied religiously with me did not do so hot :(
She scored 38 on the AAMC 11 test :pS 13; Verbal 11;BS 14
But she got a 22 on the actual test! PS 8; Verbal 7; BS 7!
I feel so bad for her! What do you think she did wrong? She's inconsolable.

Most likely test anxiety. I'm pretty sure that if she keeps all her preparation fresh buy studying everyother day (reviews + passages) she will be fine next time she takes it (hopefully in April).

Did she took any other practice tests? She might just need to practice her test taking skills