The Official 1/29/2011 MCAT Club!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MilkIsGood

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
For everyone taking the MCAT on Jan 29th.

I'm glad they offer afternoon tests

Members don't see this ad.

40O.

VR: 11
PS: 14
BS: 15

Am I screwed because of the O? I thought my essays weren't bad, but apparently they didn't agree.

My tests were somehow longer than the ones on the internet... 77 PS, BS, 60 VR. Except for AAMC11

Practices tests:

AAMC3R: 38

PS: 69/77 (12)
VR: 51/60 (12)
BS: 73/77 (14)

AAMC4R: 36

PS: 73/77 (13)
VR: 53/60 (11)
BS: 69/77 (12)

AAMC5R: 37

PS: 72/77 (13)
VR: 52/60 (11)
BS: 71/77 (13)

AAMC6R: 36

PS: 71/77 (13)
VR: 44/60 (10)
BS: 71/77 (13)

AAMC7R: 40
PS: 74/77 (14)
VR: 53/60 (12)
BS: 75/77 (14)

AAMC8R: ? (Don't have conversion)

PS: 73/77
VR: 52/60
BS: 70//77

AAMC11: 39

PS: 51/52 (14)
VR: 34/40 (11)
BS: 48/52 (14)

**** my mother ****ing life. i got like 4 below my average. 2nd time taking it- blew the verbal again. i could kill something

how did you do? I bombed verbal my 2nd time too-_-
How come people get 35+ so easily.. I got lower than 30.. sigh*

Members don't see this ad :)

so many 35 above.. some people even beat their avg.. oh well.. atleast I'm bound to get in somewhere.. some dreams broken.. but I'll have my day someday..

31R (10VR, 11PS, 10 BS)

-- Highest practice MCAT was a 35. Average about a 32-33 so not terribly bad.....Somewhat pissed about my science scores since I had gotten 12's on both on the last 2 or 3 practice tests I took but happy with the 10 in VR...and at least it's balanced.

Problem is that my GPA isn't high enough to take only an average MCAT...On to the post-bacc..

I'm gonna cry...I did 2 points worse this time EVEN THOUGH I STUDIED MY BUTT OFF... :(

VPB: 1st: 12-6-10 S; 2nd: 10-8-8 R

OMG...I seriously just lost all motivation...i seriously thought I did wayy better this time.

Physcigirl -

I wouldn't be that upset if I were you. Yes your score is lower this time around, but you still did decent considering your lowest was an 8. I thinks your 2nd score is better because the lowest again is an 8. Some schools like Tufts will take the best of each section which would be a 30 for you.

I just read through the big Princeton Review 2011 MCAT book and did all the practice tests AAMC offered. I hadn't learned physio before, so for that part I supplemented a bit with the internet and a friend's physio textbook.

I'm kind of surprised in more ways I can count. I thought I did worse numerically (33), better in writing (R, S), and I thought my physics > bio. I was expecting a 10 in verbal.

*steps on soapbox*

Well, young grasshopper, notice how the majority of people posting their scores are those with 30+. They are proud of their score (and should be), but I would wager that they would not be posting their scores if they had scored sub-30. Those who post their sub-30 scores are the braver ones, IMO.

*steps off soapbox*

TL;DR, it's selection bias. The better your score, the more likely you are to post it. Don't dwell on others too much. Focus on your own capabilities.

34R!!!!!!!!!!! YAYAYAYAYAYA. I'm just so happy that I don't have to retake it. I told myself that I wouldn't retake if I got above 31.

Breakdown P/V/B 11/13/10 (knew that the bio section kicked my ass)

Guess being a french lit major finally paid off!

Congrats everyone!

Physcigirl -

I wouldn't be that upset if I were you. Yes your score is lower this time around, but you still did decent considering your lowest was an 8. I thinks your 2nd score is better because the lowest again is an 8. Some schools like Tufts will take the best of each section which would be a 30 for you.

Can you go into more details about schools that take the best from each section??

Members don't see this ad :)

10 VR 12 PS 13 BS

Overall, not bad. The writing section has me a little bit worried.

Verbal did not seem that difficult; they must have used a pretty tight grading scheme. I don't know what the hell is up with Bio. They must have thrown out half of bio or something...
The 12 in PS is kind of disheartening since I am a chem major (finishing the major this semester), but whatever I am not going to complain.

In terms of prep, I attempted to go through all of TBR this summer but probably got about halfway through. My final prep was reading that big ass kaplan book cover to cover the last two weeks of december and then taking all the aamc tests two weeks before exam time. I actually just straight skipped the essay sections of the practice tests which is clearly reflected in that big donut of an O.

This was my second attempt at the exam and I got a 36P (11, 12, 13). On my first try a year and a half ago, I received a 29S. I don't even remember what I was spewing in my essay, but I'm really happy with the numerical score.

I started studying with Kaplan about 3 months before the test. Their coverage of material wasn't really that great, but I did hold on to their test-taking methods. The MCAT needs a lot of pacing and Kaplan did a pretty good job with getting me into a rhythm.

I dont know all of them there is a list on another forum. I think George Washington is one of them. They are not the highest ranked schools but I think they are good schools that do this and there are around a dozen I think.

Plus, here is something to consider:

The "official guide to the mcat" or whatever its called says that you can score below your capabilities, but not above on the MCAT. This is from the AAMC itself.

To me, this means that every school should take your highest section as a high score in one section is not a fluke, whereas a low section is.

Alright guys! So who is ready to start filling out the AMCAS!?

The waiting times for everything just become longer after today! :smuggrin:

Congrats to everyone for finishing this.

AAMC 4: 34 (11 PS, 12 VR, 11 BS)
AAMC 7: 30 (12 PS, 7 VR, 11 BS)
AAMC 8: 32 (10 PS, 12 VR, 10 BS)
AAMC 9: 32 (11 PS, 11 VR, 10 BS)
AAMC 11:35 (10 PS, 13 VR, 12 BS)

And I got 34's on the remaining AAMC Practice Tests--I think 3,5, and 10? I don't know my exact breakdown b/c my Kaplan course expired and it won't let me log on.

This is my second time taking it, and I literally just not stopped crying.

First actual MCAT: 28N (10 PS, 7 VR, 11 BS)
This time: 29Q (11 PS, 7 VR, 11 BS)

My GPA is a 3.95 and every other part of my application is perfect (except I don't have too much research experience, but plan on doing it in my year off).

It is not fair. I never scored below a 10 on the practice tests (except for one 7, WTF is up with that number for me!!??!). And now I feel like I won't be able to get into any medical schools because I just solidified that I am a ******* by scoring a 7 two times in a row. I honestly don't know what to do. I think I could raise the verbal, but I heard taking it three times is bad...

Alright guys! So who is ready to start filling out the AMCAS!?

The waiting times for everything just become longer after today! :smuggrin:

Congrats to everyone for finishing this.

I am! I'm actually pretty excited about writing the statement. Before today, I had no motivation.

hmmm...ok...so i think I'm the only dumb*ss that got considerably lower the practice test scores. I was expecting a 29-31 but got nowhere close to it...good luck to everyone else. the wait is finally over!

36R
10 VR 14 PS 12 BS

Congratulations ElChamaco! You always shared some positive comments wo those around you in the midst of your studying, so I'm REALLY glad to see that goodwill paid back to you. I was rooting for you to do well and am happy to see you did. Best of luck applying.

so many 35 above.. some people even beat their avg.. oh well.. atleast I'm bound to get in somewhere.. some dreams broken.. but I'll have my day someday..

It may be true that the MCAT will influence where you get into medical school, but it has no effect whatsoever on how good of a doctor you'll be. The positive vibe you shared with everyone during the stressful time of studying says a great deal about your character. That will last a lifetime and make you a great doctor.

Congratulations ElChamaco! You always shared some positive comments wo those around you in the midst of your studying, so I'm REALLY glad to see that goodwill paid back to you. I was rooting for you to do well and am happy to see you did. Best of luck applying.

It may be true that the MCAT will influence where you get into medical school, but it has no effect whatsoever on how good of a doctor you'll be. The positive vibe you shared with everyone during the stressful time of studying says a great deal about your character. That will last a lifetime and make you a great doctor.

I wouldn't be that upset if I were you. Some schools like Tufts will take the best of each section which would be a 30 for you.

Hey do you know if there is list of schools somewhere that do accept the best of each section?

I had a 27N in August and just got a 29Q, but taking my best would make it a 30Q which in all honesty looks way better on the eyes. I'm trying to figure out if I should apply to M.D., D.O., or a mixture of both.

Any suggestions?

Congratulations to everyone who got what they wanted and even to people like me who didn't get what they wanted but won't have to take it again.

My condolonces and best of luck to every one who needs to take it again.

Albany: the best set of scores
Baylor: most recent scores weighed heavily
Boston: the best set of scores
Case: most recent set of scores
Columbia: most recent scores weighed most heavily
Cornell: the best score
Creighton: the best set of scores
Drexel: the most recent set of scores weighed most heavily
Duke: the most recent set of scores generally considered
E. Carolina: the most recent set of scores generally considered
EVMS: the best set of scores weighed most heavily
Emory: the best set of scores typically weighed most heavily
Finch: the most recent set of scores
George Washington: all sets of scores
Georgetown: all sets of scores
Indiana: the most recent scores
Jefferson: the most recent score
Loma Linda: all sets of scores

S Writing
11 Verbal
14 PS
13 BS

Made two dumb mistakes on BS, could have done two points better on Verbal in my opinion.

Score: 38S

Thanks BerkRev. :)

Coincidentally, VR was the only section I didn't use TBR to prepare for. :laugh:

Vickpick, you will have your day! I doubt your MCAT is going to keep you out of any med school. It is in the range of accepted applicants at even the most competitive med schools. Basically your MCAT is just ceding way to the rest of your app to do its talking for you!

Not having taken undergraduate courses since 1994, I am ok with my score for DO schools.

3.5 Dental GPA (DDS)
3.77 Undergrad

7 PS 9 VR 9 BS - 25 M (actually thought I answered the 3 questions nicely, but who knows).

May take it again next year.

Louisiana at New Orleans: the most recent set of scores weighed most heavily
Louisiana at Shreveport: the most recent set of scores weighed most heavily
Loyola: the most recent set of scores weighed most heavily
Marshall: the most recent set of scores weighed most heavily
Medical College of Ohio: the best set of scores weighed most heavily
Medical College of Wisconsin: the best score in each section from last 2 tests
South Carolina: the best set of scores
Meharry: all sets of scores
MSU: the most recent set of scores
Morehouse: the most recent set of scores weighed most heavily
NYMC: the most recent set of scores weighed most heavily
NYU: the best set of scores

The interview will be your great equalizer! Your MCAT score is good enough for 90% of the schools out there. I understand that it's disappointing when you fall short of your goal after some great AAMC practice scores, but it's a small piece of the application puzzle. Ten years from now, I'd rather have you as my doctor than some of the people claiming to have gotten 38-40. First off, I know you'll listen and do your absolute best for every patient. Second, the humanistic side of a doctor can not be tied to a number.

There are some wonderful posters here who take the time to genuinely care about others, but only the interview accounts for that. Knock 'em dead at your interviews.

UC Davis: the best scores
UC Irvine: the most recent set of scores
UCSF: the most recent scores
Colorado: the best scores
U Florida: the best set of scores considered heavily
Hawaii: the most recent set of scores
Iowa: all sets of scores
Kansas: the two most recent sets of scores
Kentucky: the most recent set of scores weighed heavily
U Louisville: the most recent set of scores
U Maryland: the best scores
U Mass: the best scores weighed heavily
U Miami: the best set of scores weighed heavily
Minnesota at Minneapolis: the highest set of scores
U Missouri at Columbia: the highest total set of scores
U Nevada: the most recent scores
U North Dakota: the most recent set of scores
U Oklahoma: the most recent set of scores
Rochester: the best set of scores
South Alabama: the most recent scores
South Carolina: the most recent set of scores weighed heavily
South Dakota: the most recent set of scores compared to other scores
South Florida: the best set of scores weighed heavily
U Tennessee at Memphis: all sets of scores
San Antonio: the best set of scores weighed heavily
Galveston: the most recent set of scores
Southwestern: the best set of scores
U Vermont: all sets of scores
U Virginia: the best scores
U Wisconsin: the higher scores from the two most recent scores
Vanderbilt: the most recent set of scores weighed heavily
VCU: the best set of scores
Wayne State: the most recent set of scores weighed heavily
West Virginia: all scores
Wright State: all scores
Yale: the best set of scores
Yeshiva: the best set of scores

To verify this I gave BU and Miami a call, both confirmed that they take the best score from EACH SECTION OF DIFFERENT MCATS!

Probably should add...

Took Kaplan first time
32 -> 36 studied during summer but was volunteering + 40hour/week job

Felt unprepared. Decided to take kaplan during school year Fall 2010, didn't really study much. Spent about a month and a half of winter break constantly studying. Went fro 36 -> 38 on Kaplan tests.

ON AAMC practice tests, about 37-38, felt PS and BS were immensely easy for some reason, though the curve was much harsher.

Afterthoughts on 1/29/2011 test, felt range was likely 32-38, was shooting for 40. VERY surprised at the S, because I really only wrote one or two essays beforehand and these were all shot down by my Kaplan instructors as 3 or 4's.

AAMC 4: 34 (11 PS, 12 VR, 11 BS)
AAMC 7: 30 (12 PS, 7 VR, 11 BS)
AAMC 8: 32 (10 PS, 12 VR, 10 BS)
AAMC 9: 32 (11 PS, 11 VR, 10 BS)
AAMC 11:35 (10 PS, 13 VR, 12 BS)

And I got 34's on the remaining AAMC Practice Tests--I think 3,5, and 10? I don't know my exact breakdown b/c my Kaplan course expired and it won't let me log on.

This is my second time taking it, and I literally just not stopped crying.

First actual MCAT: 28N (10 PS, 7 VR, 11 BS)
This time: 29Q (11 PS, 7 VR, 11 BS)

My GPA is a 3.95 and every other part of my application is perfect (except I don't have too much research experience, but plan on doing it in my year off).

It is not fair. I never scored below a 10 on the practice tests (except for one 7, WTF is up with that number for me!!??!). And now I feel like I won't be able to get into any medical schools because I just solidified that I am a ******* by scoring a 7 two times in a row. I honestly don't know what to do. I think I could raise the verbal, but I heard taking it three times is bad...

So taking it for a 3rd time and 'giving up' on a better score is better than taking it a 3rd time and potentially beasting it?

Sounds like you have test anxiety if there was that big of a discrepancy, no?

If your dream is to be a physician, I have no doubts that you would get into a DO program. Don't give up on yourself yet!

Hey guys,

Good Job on getting through this and congrats to those who won't have to retake. :)

I wanna go back to the request made earlier! Can you please mention if you took Kaplan and what it did/did not help you with. I, and im sure others, would really really appreciate it.

Thanks BerkRev. :)

Coincidentally, VR was the only section I didn't use TBR to prepare for. :laugh:

Vickpick, you will have your day! I doubt your MCAT is going to keep you out of any med school. It is in the range of accepted applicants at even the most competitive med schools. Basically your MCAT is just ceding way to the rest of your app to do its talking for you!

Thanks man. Congratz on your score. I think you deserve to get one the MD/PhD seats. and wish you luck with that. Your MCAT score seems up to par with some people I know who went to MD/Ph.D. :thumbup:
I'm going to keep volunteering and shadow some doctors (I have only shadowed one). My application seems to be in good shape. As long I get in somewhere!

The interview will be your great equalizer! Your MCAT score is good enough for 90% of the schools out there. I understand that it's disappointing when you fall short of your goal after some great AAMC practice scores, but it's a small piece of the application puzzle. Ten years from now, I'd rather have you as my doctor than some of the people claiming to have gotten 38-40. First off, I know you'll listen and do your absolute best for every patient. Second, the humanistic side of a doctor can not be tied to a number.

There are some wonderful posters here who take the time to genuinely care about others, but only the interview accounts for that. Knock 'em dead at your interviews.

Thanks so much for the motivational words. Really appreciate it.
I'll spend some time with my friends and forget abt the MCAT now!
I'm happy that I won't have to take it again.

I wanna go back to the request made earlier! Can you please mention if you took Kaplan and what it did/did not help you with. I, and im sure others, would really really appreciate it.

I found Kaplan immensly helpful as a structure. I pretty much ignored their classes and teaching, I didn't need help understand the subjects. I did however, need help learning which subjects I should learn and committing those to memory. Also, the sheer amount of practice was helpful, very helpful.

Any other questions?

I found Kaplan immensly helpful as a structure. I pretty much ignored their classes and teaching, I didn't need help understand the subjects. I did however, need help learning which subjects I should learn and committing those to memory. Also, the sheer amount of practice was helpful, very helpful.

Any other questions?

Thanks! I am doing that right now. Did you use the kaplan VR strategy? I hear it doesn't do any good, so I don't even know if I should bother going through it.

Oh yeah guys, just so that you can appreciate being done with the MCAT even more, I thought I'd let you know that I still have to take the GRE!

Thanks! I am doing that right now. Did you use the kaplan VR strategy? I hear it doesn't do any good, so I don't even know if I should bother going through it.

I'd go though it. VR is really hard to get down as a science (haha), so while their method tries it best to help you, learning it is good, but keep in mind the best practice comes from just that, practice.

I found Kaplan VR review very helpful- I was able to improve 4 VR points once I put some time into it.

I can't believe it. 11V, 9P, 11B, 31P I'll take it. Went from 24 to 31. Was averaging about a 30 on my practice tests with a high of 32 and low of 26.

Congrats! Just creepin'...but I also went from a 24 to 31 with practice ranges from 26 to 32. (Last August) Random. LOL. Feels good, doesn't it? That much of an improvement is RARE. Be proud. :)

I am so happy I could cry!
no more studying for the MCAT, I did better than on any of my practice tests (despite feeling terrible coming out of the test)
:)

VR: 13 PS: 11 BS: 12 WS: P
I got anywhere between a 30 and a 35 on practice tests, then got a 36 on the real deal!

Last edited:
non natural science PhD :(

I'm going to bump this thread when I get my GRE score back! haha.

Congrats on the awesome improvement by the way.

Oh, I see. I'm sure you'll beast it though just like you beasted the MCAT!

Congrats! Just creepin'...but I also went from a 24 to 31 with practice ranges from 26 to 32. (Last August) Random. LOL. Feels good, doesn't it? That much of an improvement is RARE. Be proud. :)

Thanks! It does feel good. I looked at your md apps and we have pretty similar stats. Good luck with SIU and UI!

My first time posting:
I've been reading this thread for the past week due to ovewhelming anxiety associated with the score release and I have noticed that some people on this forum are either extremely ridiculously smart and annoying or they are just plain liars.

And while you pretentions losers complain about how depressed you are that you got scores in the high 30's.....
I just wanna take the time out to say that I got a 27M and I'm still going to med school!! bahaha!!! It's guaranteed cuz I'm in JAMP b.i.t.c.h (google it) Now..eat your hearts out.

Ahem..To the rest of the "regulars" like moi that scored in the acceptable 20's..I commend you. Don't beat urself up..study hard if ur gonna retake, apply to D.O if u feel the need, or if ur in a situation like mine PARTY LIKE ITS 1999.

That is all.

Well first off, I want to congratulate everyone on their stellar scores. I am truly impressed at the number of 30, 35+ scores I see on here. You guys truly deserve it and I wish you the best.

Unfortunately for me, I didn't do very well.
5 Verbal, 7 on Physical and 10 on Bio. I'm going to have to retake obviously. I need to get that Verbal score up somehow and I was wondering those with such high verbal scores...what did you use?

I'm guessing everyone used TBR for Physical as that seems to be the consensus on the forums.

By the look of it, there seems to be some really great scores...is the myth that January MCAT's are curved more generously, then, essentially true?