The Official 2008 Acceptance Thread Psy.D/Ph.D

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I got an offer yesterday afternoon! I am excited b/c this was my top choice and my POI is doing EXACTLY what I am interested in. :D

Good for you! May I ask who was your POI?

Members don't see this ad.

Waitlisted at American U (clinical psyc. PhD.) by phone call from POI on 3/19.
Has anyone heard from UMBC?

Accepted to Arizona State's behavioral neuroscience phd program! :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted via the post today!

80?! I was just guessing with the 60, based on a headcount. It was also slightly disheartening to see that 95% of the interviewees were female research assistants in their 20's....makes it a little tough to stand out. I really liked the program, but I think their application process is a bit ridiculous.

Yeah it seems like there are a lot of us floating around on the waitlist. If anyone out there has an offer from Suffolk or any other program, and you know you're going to turn it down, please contact the program asap by calling them or emailing them. Thanks and congrats to all! :)

I just got an offer from Marshall for their PsyD program! It wasn't my top choice because I wanted to go the PhD route, but after being rejected from 10 schools last year and applying to another 17 this year and being rejected and waitlisted so much, it feels really good to have something on the table! I will finally be going to grad school! :hardy: :hardy: :hardy:

I interviewed for the school clinical PsyD at Yeshiva and was just told they already sent out all their acceptances and were waiting to hear back so they could formulate their wait list. Does this make any sense???
Does anyone know how the acceptance process works? I was under the impression that it works in rounds. Either way, I am totally disgusted by how Yeshiva has handled this matter!
And if anyone got into the program and knows they are not going to accept the offer, please let them know! I know people who are putting their lives on hold for this!

has anyone heard from western michigan u clinical phd program? interview weekend was Feb 22nd and I still haven't heard anything.

if my last schools don't respond today i may explode.

gahh. this is like waiting for the guy you like to call you back, only for MONTHS. and you're in 1950's land, where if YOU call, you are pushy and undesirable! sigh, I hope he calls. I thought our last (interview) date went great...

if my last schools don't respond today i may explode.

gahh. this is like waiting for the guy you like to call you back, only for MONTHS. and you're in 1950's land, where if YOU call, you are pushy and undesirable! sigh, I hope he calls. I thought our last (interview) date went great...

Perfect analogy psybee! To add to that from a guy's point of view, waiting to hear was like when you want to call a girl and ask for a second date but don't want to sound desperate.

Perfect analogy psybee! To add to that from a guy's point of view, waiting to hear was like when you want to call a girl and ask for a second date but don't want to sound desperate.

I just called the last 2 remaining schools yesterday. This is beyond ridiculous.

I just called the last 2 remaining schools yesterday. This is beyond ridiculous.

i have called one and they never pick up and the VM is full. i've emailed another and nada. argh!

i am in fact the one that asked my BF out, and if he hadn't called and i wanted to talk, i'd call him, because i am bold like that:D. i am not used to worrying about being pushy. usually i take the lead in most social situations to spare others from having to wonder if they should do, x, y whatever, since i often find it easy to act and so many folks are shy. so this application situation is sort of the opposite of me. like, my kryptonite. double arrgh!

Members don't see this ad :)
I was accepted to the University of Toledo clinical program but have decided to decline. I received the e-mail on 3/14.

I interviewed for the school clinical PsyD at Yeshiva and was just told they already sent out all their acceptances and were waiting to hear back so they could formulate their wait list. Does this make any sense???
Does anyone know how the acceptance process works? I was under the impression that it works in rounds. Either way, I am totally disgusted by how Yeshiva has handled this matter!
And if anyone got into the program and knows they are not going to accept the offer, please let them know! I know people who are putting their lives on hold for this!

Try not to get so upset. They didn't handle it any differently than all the other programs. Usually a program makes offers to the number of students they want to have in the program the starting school year but if students reject the offer, the school has to move down in it's list and make offers to students it didn't select in the first round (if you're not in the first round then you're waitlisted in order of the programs preference). Generally Yeshiva has to make about 75 offers before it's final class is set so you still have a good chance if you're waitlisted. (I'm turning down their offer and so are a couple of other people who have posted in different blogs).

Congrats vcpsych and PsychFC! I may be going too to American, who are your POIs?

University of La Verne; Clinical Community PsyD-----Letter 3/15 offering a waiting time until April 30 for the final response.

I know some people have asked this already but has anyone heard from BU? Did you guys interview???

Just received a phone call this afternoon with an acceptance. :)

Phone call today for acceptance into Pepperdine's Psy.d. program!

Accepted by phone today to PGSP-Stanford's PsyD program. I'm still in shock, but the official freak-out will commence shortly. :)

I got a phone call this afternoon extending an invitation to attend :)

Now I just have to decide if I'd rather go there than Baylor... which is probably a no, but I don't feel as if I can reject them right off the bat without being 100% sure.

The only down side to Baylor that I saw was the less than diverse population, and the location (Waco, Texas)....at least compared to PGSP. Baylor is fully funded and a great school, so if I were you....I'd pick them.

If ya want any info about Baylor, feel free to ask. I loved it :) In regards to diversity, there isn't much in the way of economic diversity - very rich and very poor. As for ethnicity, I'd say a good split between White, African-American, and Latino/a.

Greetings all!

I'm (im)patiently awaiting word from Nova Southeastern. I'm hoping to be one of the 90 out of 200 people they interviewed who gets accepted, and I was just wondering a couple of things. A) Have all the admissions gone out and B) Has anyone been wait listed? I guess an answer yes to B would answer yes to A. If anyone is willing to volunteer that they were waitlisted there, I would be much obliged. I have a bunch of Master's interviews coming up, but I want to know I can discount Nova first.

It is less than 90, as the interviews were for both the Ph.D. and Psy.D. programs, in addition to them shrinking the incoming classes (thank god).

Acceptances are being mailed out (per the few people who mentioned accepting a spot), though I don't know if they all went out. It may be worth calling the admissions dept to check.

Accepted via email today. Any opionions on the program? I am torn between Adlephi and Hofstra. (I know they are very different)

Anyone heard from the U of New Mexico? I checked the first page and it isn't up there... maybe someone knows the inside scoop?

Finally after many anxiety attacks I received an Acceptance to Nova Southeastern University PsyD today at 11:40am via email, details to follow in the mail :hardy:

Accepted via email today. Any opionions on the program? I am torn between Adlephi and Hofstra. (I know they are very different)

Hi,

I think it depends on what you want. a phd or a psyd? a cognitive-behavioral program or a psychodynamic one?
Isn't it so amazing how they give you so little time to decide when this is such an important decision...

However, as I have been waitlisted at both Hofstra and Adelphi (and St John's), it would be much appreciated if you decided before April 15th! :oops:

Good luck deciding!

If you are deciding between a PsyD and a PhD program, go with the PhD! I was considering a PsyD but all of my supervisors steered me away from it. They said the stigma toward PsyD's is still prevelant and they do not believe it will be disappearing anytime soon. Plus, a PhD keeps many more doors open in the future if you decide you don't like doing therapy.

got an admissions offer via email

If you are deciding between a PsyD and a PhD program, go with the PhD! I was considering a PsyD but all of my supervisors steered me away from it. They said the stigma toward PsyD's is still prevelant and they do not believe it will be disappearing anytime soon. Plus, a PhD keeps many more doors open in the future if you decide you don't like doing therapy.

I think your supervisors are being very close-minded. Some individuals want a research degree and some want a degree that focuses on preparing them to be therapists. There's nothing wrong with that. If someone is not as interested in research, it makes sense to go for a psy.d. Psy.Ds can do research and teach too, although it's more difficult to get a research job for them. PsyDs based in a university are more respected than the professional programs. Perhaps your supervisors were responding to them. If you're majorly interested in being a therapist, your clients are not going to care let alone know the difference between the doctorates anyway. Maybe a PhD program was a great choice for you because you enjoy research and want that option to stay very open.

sorry I was referring to the Adelphi Clinical Ph.D.

Hi Everyone,

I just wanted to see what people's opinions/thoughts were on deciding between programs. For those of you already made a decision or those who are in a program, do you think there are big differences between going to school in a large city versus a small town (Besides the obvious environmental differences)? In terms of resources and feasibility of research within the community? This is of course all other things being somewhat equal. What are your thoughts?

Thanks!

Acceptance came on 03/24 through e-mail, stating the packet is in the mail.

Hi all,
I am currently in the process of deciding between two counseling programs: Fordham University and Seton Hall University. I got a great positive impression from both programs at the interviews and in talking with students and faculty there since then. I am just wondering how people have gone about making their decisions. And if anyone can give me information about the schools that would help me out. The problem I have is that both schools seemed great while I was there, but Seton Hall doesn't seem to have much of a reputation no one outside of the school there seems to know anything about them, should that impact my decision? However they give funding, and Fordham does not give as much.

Additionally, I am on the waitlist at NYU and wanted to know if anyone has turned down an offer from them. Is it bad to wait until April 15th if my waitlisted school is my top choice?

Thank you to anyone who can give me some advice!

Additionally, I am on the waitlist at NYU and wanted to know if anyone has turned down an offer from them. Is it bad to wait until April 15th if my waitlisted school is my top choice?

It is fine to wait, but only hang on to one of the two acceptances you have, as others are waiting on that spot.

I recieved a phone call from my POI last night accepting me to the Child-Clinical Track at St. John's Clinical Ph.D. program.

*MOD NOTE: I merged this into the Acceptance Thread, as this is where people talk about Acceptance/Waitlist/Rejections, etc. -t*

Hello, I am fairly new here and I was wondering if anyone who has interviewed in march at The Wright Institute has heard anything back yet? Or if applicants from years past who interviewed were notified via snail mail or email about their acceptance/rejection.

Thanks so much

In 2004 I heard back via snail mail by April 15th.

were you accepted? Sorry i am just trying to figure out if rejections will also be snail mail. Did you interview there as well?

I did interview there, but that was four years ago, so who knows how they communicate their responses now, but according to their website, everyone gets their answer by April 1.

http://www.wrightinst.edu/admissions_faqs.html

You're just going to have to wait 5 more days! ;)

Thanks for your info...the waiting is killing me

Doesn't it suck that no mail comes on Sunday? I recommend 3 hours of cardio every day until you find out... you'll be amazed at how chill you will be about everything. ;)

Good luck! :luck:

Me and a friend have both interviewed at Wright over a month ago. I haven't heard and as far as I know neither has she.