The Official 5/12/2012 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

merde

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello fellow May 12ers! I didn't see a thread for our test day and considering we are 5 weeks away, I decided to make one! I hope everyone's preparation is going well!

Members don't see this ad.

Alright, so I'm a newbie on here, just recently discovered this page and wanted to say hi and wish everyone best of luck for Tuesday. I know, these last few days are gonna suck -- But just think... we've waited a whole friggin' 4 weeks and we only have another three sleeps to go!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Alright, so I'm a newbie on here, just recently discovered this page and wanted to say hi and wish everyone best of luck for Tuesday. I know, these last few days are gonna suck -- But just think... we've waited a whole friggin' 4 weeks and we only have another three sleeps to go!!

assuming i'll be able to get any sleep in the next 3 days lol

Anyone know what time of day on Tuesday they will be available?

edit: website says 5:00PM, anyone know if this is usually accurate or is it sometimes sooner?

Anyone know what time of day on Tuesday they will be available?

edit: website says 5:00PM, anyone know if this is usually accurate or is it sometimes sooner?

Tues after 5:00 P.M. is the published, expected time of release. But they could be released earlier or later. Reading through other threads, some people have written that their scores were released the day before, while others have said that their scores were not released until the evening hours.

I'm personally a little nervous about the randomness of not knowing if or when my score will flash up on the screen when I check THx tomorrow night and/or on Tuesday. I think I want to log on here first to see if anyone has reported scores before I check... I want to be well prepared -- take a long, deep breath and maybe even cover the screen so that I can see one section score at a time, rather than be overwhelmed by the whole report all at once. Is anyone else having crazy, incessant thoughts about how they want that moment to play out??

Man two days guys! Goodluck! Im a 5/19 test taker so i've only got a week of waiting left. I hear the last couple days are brutal though....anyhoo best of luck!

Tues after 5:00 P.M. is the published, expected time of release. But they could be released earlier or later. Reading through other threads, some people have written that their scores were released the day before, while others have said that their scores were not released until the evening hours.

I'm personally a little nervous about the randomness of not knowing if or when my score will flash up on the screen when I check THx tomorrow night and/or on Tuesday. I think I want to log on here first to see if anyone has reported scores before I check... I want to be well prepared -- take a long, deep breath and maybe even cover the screen so that I can see one section score at a time, rather than be overwhelmed by the whole report all at once. Is anyone else having crazy, incessant thoughts about how they want that moment to play out??

I was a 4/28er, and our scores were released at about 3:20 EST. Each of the four tests before ours were about the same (+/- 15min). I would look around then. We were all on the day given on the aamc website as well.

Euro cup, nba play off... Still feels like not enough distraction... :(

Good luck everyone!

Members don't see this ad :)
Been reading SDN posts for a while, but finally decided to post something myself. I'm dying here. The world cannot offer enough distraction for me today :eek:

My schedule includes copious amounts of anxiety-driven THx logins.

yessssss it's almost here, tomorrow will determine if I'm stayin in the usa, or have to go Caribbean, hope I can stay here. good luck everybody

yessssss it's almost here, tomorrow will determine if I'm stayin in the usa, or have to go Caribbean, hope I can stay here. good luck everybody

In one of my volunteer programs (which is mostly pre-meds) we have one guy who went to a caribbean school and has been trying to get into a residency for at least 3 years. Dude went through med school and is on the edge of giving up on actually working as a doctor. :scared:

In one of my volunteer programs (which is mostly pre-meds) we have one guy who went to a caribbean school and has been trying to get into a residency for at least 3 years. Dude went through med school and is on the edge of giving up on actually working as a doctor. :scared:[/

Ok, but I wouldn't automatically assume that you won't get into a residency simply because you studied medicine in the Caribbean. The medical school where you study is surely only one factor that residency programs consider. Other factors must include your performance in the USMLE step one, your recommendations, your involvement in research and commitment to your community, etc. I would think that the decision to study in the Caribbean would be one you would have to make under the guidance of a very good prehealth advisor who can help you weigh all the pros and cons, make sure that you are carefully considering ALL of your options, and help develop a plan of attack to get you where you want to be in 5years and beyond.

Sooooo...just curious so that when I get my score, i'll understand it better...did most people answer all questions? Or was I the ***** who selected random answers due to timing issues? also, did you find test prep companies helpful in timing for the exam vs. timing the aamcs by yourself?

Oh, I know there are multiple factors. It's just sad to see. I am sure there are some US MD grads that have the same issue.

I agree that it's probably tougher for those who graduate from Caribbean schools, but here are two happy endings:

My ex doctor boss graduated from SGU and did his residency at Columbia and fellowship at Cleveland Clinic.

Another doctor also went to SGU, but somehow got lucky and transferred to Columbia where he finished his MD then did his residency.

Both true story. The first doctor has mentioned that he did extremely well on his steps. I have no idea how they the second doctor managed a transfer, he was vague and just said he got really lucky.

less than 24 hours guys......heart rate hasn't gone down from 90 bpm....might have a heart attack before scores are actually released....

Dumb question,

Can I send in my application before AMCAS and AACOM have received all my transcripts?

Only around 15 or so hours to go!! If you are one of the first to get your scores please share with the thread... Sell EK books for beer money... what a great idea. Here's hoping we can all do that!

Sooooo...just curious so that when I get my score, i'll understand it better...did most people answer all questions? Or was I the ***** who selected random answers due to timing issues? also, did you find test prep companies helpful in timing for the exam vs. timing the aamcs by yourself?
The timing for me was a lot more of a crunch than the practice AAMCs. PS was more calculation-heavy than any of the practice tests, so I ended up having to guess 2 on a passage that I thought was the most difficult. VR was standard and didn't pose any major timing issues. BS took more time than usual, but I was still able to finish all of the questions without having to completely guess....it was a brutal section though. I took a Kaplan class and used their timing guidelines. I did my best to follow their set times on most of the AAMCs, but it was difficult to keep up during the real test because it was simply a harder test. If anything, it DID help in giving me an indication throughout the test that I was __ minutes behind and needed to hurry up a bit, so there were no real surprises at the end.

Hope that helps and best of luck to everyone tomorrow!

Good luck tomorrow everyone!! Remember no matter what happens it's not the end of the world, you can always retake and do better!

Just to reiterate, it will most likely come out

3:30 Eastern +/- 20 minutes

It has been this way for a while now. Good luck everyone!

Here are the most recent test dates and score release times. I believe they are all in EST. I updated the list, but the majority of it comes from km17 in the 4/5/12 test thread. Looks to be about 3:15 +- 10

4/28/12: 3:07
4/13/12: 3:05
3/24/12: 3:16
1/28/12: 3:09
1/27/12: 3:11
9/08/11: 3:27
9/02/11: 3:12
8/23/11: 3:07
8/18/11: 3:11
8/12/11: 3:10
7/28/11: 3:15

Here are the most recent test dates and score release times. I believe they are all in EST. I updated the list, but the majority of it comes from km17 in the 4/5/12 test thread. Looks to be about 3:15 +- 10

4/28/12: 3:07
4/13/12: 3:05
3/24/12: 3:16
1/28/12: 3:09
1/27/12: 3:11
9/08/11: 3:27
9/02/11: 3:12
8/23/11: 3:07
8/18/11: 3:11
8/12/11: 3:10
7/28/11: 3:15

So just about 4 hours left now... if I am this nervous for you guys already I might need some xanax when mine are up.

Agh...... nervousness kicking in.... I'm shadowing a pediatrician today ... hopefully I'm so bummed at my score that I punch a baby.... hahaha jkjk..

Also guys, try to not get too depressed when you look at this thread following score release. 90% of the people with lower scores won't post, while there will be an influx of newly registered users bragging about 40s. If you are not happy with your score then stay away, it will only cause you to beat yourself up even more.

Good luck everyone! Also, for those of you who will be selling your books, I need to buy a set of TBR for my cousin. PM me if you are going to be selling ;)

Good luck everyone. I have a thought about posting scores... I do not want to post my actual score BUT I will post how close it was to my AAMC test score average. So my post will look something like this:

"AAMC AVG (n=8) + 0" would mean my actual cumulative score was the same as my AAMC cumulative average. Then it "AAMC AVG (n=8) -2" would mean that the actual was 2 below my average. and so on. Hopefully it is not much more than 2 below my average!!!

I will post my score, good or bad, for the insight of those in the future... good luck guys let's hope for 10s across or higher :luck::luck::luck:

Ahhh good luck everyone :luck::luck:! Anyone else home and dealing with helicopter parents? I feel like my mom is more nervous than I am. She keeps asking if they're up yet like I'm seriously going to forget to check or something.