The Official 5/31/12

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nontrad777

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
:)

Members don't see this ad.

AAMC Average 37/38, range 33-40
Goal 38+
Predicted 30-40, most likely 35/36
Actual 33Q 12/11/10.

PS was near what I expected, verbal my average was 13, bio was a big shock.

I thought I was going to be devastated but I'm ok, 4 and a half points lower than my average was not what I was expecting though. I'm not really looking forward to studying again but I signed up for September 6th retake.

I'm upset at AAMC 11's predictive power. I choked on AAMC 11 compared to my average score and got 33. I was extremely nervous on test day and I don't know what happened on bio, I swear I got that difficult passage correct and the others. Guess not.

Ok well, time to set up my study plan for September 6th. I might need some new materials but we'll see.

Congrats to all of you who are done! Hang in there for you re-takers

AAMC Average: 37.5 (35 - 40 range)
Goal: 40
Prediction: 37
Real: 39R

Goddamn, you're the (current) top-runner in this thread at the moment. Score distribution?

AAMC Average: 33-36
Predicted: 34-35
Actual: 33S

Pondering a retake. What are the downsides of a retake? I dont think i can possibly get below a 33.

Lots more stress than the first one despite you having taken it once already, since it's more an all-or-none shot. That and possibility of unfortunate things going down like you getting sick, test center computer glitching, noise, or other random occurrences which could screw up your composure that day.

What's your score distribution?

Goal 38+
Actual 33Q 12/11/10.

I thought I was going to be devastated but I'm ok, 4 and a half points lower than my average was not what I was expecting though. I'm not really looking forward to studying again but I signed up for September 6th retake.

I'm upset at AAMC 11's predictive power. I choked on AAMC 11 compared to my average score and got 33. I was extremely nervous on test day and I don't know what happened on bio, I swear I got that difficult passage correct and the others. Guess not.

Ok well, time to set up my study plan for September 6th. I might need some new materials but we'll see.

That's a shame about your BS score. Yeah typically it is the section that the taker would be the most sure about since almost all answers are pretty definitive in terms of right or wrong, unlike calculation-heavy PS section or the utterly ambiguous VR section. Maybe you misread a critical detail in one of the longer BS passages and knocked down a domino chain?

Members don't see this ad :)
That's a shame about your BS score. Yeah typically it is the section that the taker would be the most sure about since almost all answers are pretty definitive in terms of right or wrong, unlike calculation-heavy PS section or the utterly ambiguous VR section. Maybe you misread a critical detail in one of the longer BS passages and knocked down a domino chain?

Something like that maybe and the one topic I didn't want to see in PS. Oh well, gonna study harder and hit 40 this time.

AAMC average: 36
Goal: 36
Actual: 34R 12 11 11
sGPA: 3.58 cGPA: 3.71

Should I be thinking about a retake?

AAMC Average: 36
Prediction: 34
Real: 35Q

This is my 2nd time taking the MCAT. First time got 32. Hoped for a little higher but I'll take it!
Is 11/11/13 a little lopsided for a 35?

AAMC average: 36
Actual: 34R 12 11 11
sGPA: 3.58 cGPA: 3.71

Should I be thinking about a retake?

If you're within +/- 2 of your average it usually isn't wise to retake. If you are sure you can work harder and do better then do it.

AAMC Average: 33.8
Goal: 34
Predicted: Anything better than a 30
Actual: 32 O (VR 10 / BS 11 / PS 11)

Kinda bummed about the O and dropping a point in VR from my average. As a non-traditional student in a state-school post Bacc, I guess I can't complain about not trumping those of you with long term commitments (e.g. those of you who've took science APs from sophomore year of high school). With a 3.7 overall GPA and a 3.9 Science GPA and a Bachelors of Music (conservatory) does my wacky background stand a chance? Congratulations to my future PIs...

Now that scores have come out I've finally decided to create an account. I've been lurking on these forums since a few weeks before I took the test. Here's my reflection on the exam immediately after taking the test followed by my averages, goal, prediction, and actual score. I prepared for the exam with Kaplan Review. I can't remember the exact practice tests I took, but I think it was Kaplan 1-5 and AAMC 8-11.

Immediately after the test...
PS: I thought this section was fairly easy. Seemed to be a lot of calculations, but nothing to difficult. There were also some short cuts on some of the problems I believe. Overall, I was glad it was calculation heavy. Predicted score: 11
VR: Wow this section just killed me on test day. One very obscure passage, a couple easy ones, and the rest were either hit or miss. I had to rush through the hardest passage with about 4 minutes left so I ended up guessing on a few here. Easily the hardest section of the day for me. Predicted Score: Anywhere from 6 to 10
BS: I was surprised with this section. I thought most of the passages were extremely easy except for maybe one or two. I've always gotten my highest scores in BS and always finish with about 20 minutes left. On test day I finished with 25 minutes remaining. Predicted score: 12

AAMC Average: 30
Kaplan Average: 31
Goal: 34
Predicted: 31
Real: 32P (PS: 10 VR: 10 BS: 12)

Overall, I'm just glad to finally have the scores. For those of you satisfied with your scores...we're one step closer!!! For those of you retaking....good luck!

Got a 33-M womp womp..do you think my pathetic M or my very imbalanced distribution (9 VR 10 BS 14 PS) will hold me back from getting into Penn/Columbia/Cornell (average MCAT 35 for those schools)? Got pretty solid EC/leadership.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
AAMC Average: 28 Predicted: 27-31 Actual: 29S 11V 09B 09P. Thought I would get a 10 in the bio, since that had been what I had gotten on all the other tests. Actually scored higher in the physical than in practice, usually got around an 8, so that's...good? Unsure if I should retake or not - my GPA is a 3.9, don't know if that would make up for it. Got an S on the writing...but I know none of the schools care about that. XP If I retake I'm not going to be applying this year.

Goal 38+
Actual 33Q 12/11/10.

Ugh dude. I can't believe you're retaking that.

Good luck all the same.

Got a 33-M womp womp..do you think my pathetic M or my very imbalanced distribution (9 VR 10 VS 14 PS) will hold me back from getting into Penn/Columbia/Cornell (average MCAT 35 for those schools)? Got pretty solid EC/leadership.

Last edited:
AAMC Average: 32ish
Goal: 30+
Post-test prediction: 32
Actual: 35Q (13, 12, 10)

What a relief! Congratulations everyone!

:(What a horrible day

Kaplan averages(1-5): 33.6

AAMC average(3-11): 34.125

Actual: 29P 7/10/12 (VR/PS/BS)

That is the lowest verbal score I have ever got. My all time low before this was an 8. Average AAMC verbal was 9.5, avg Kaplan was 8.4.
The funny thing is, I was most worried about BS after the test, and it was my highest score.
Time to get ready for a retake, awesome summer.

Ugh dude. I can't believe you're retaking that.

Good luck all the same.

Thanks man, looks like I'll need luck on my side this time. almost 5 points lower than my average seems like an automatic decision to retake. I guess all those mistakes and unsure questions I had on each section were wrong, hoping to get the other side of the coin flip this next time.

Like I said I'm not that upset because I was kind of expecting it, but I was still hopeful that maybe I didn't make so many mistakes.

This is my 2nd time taking the MCAT. First time got 32. Hoped for a little higher but I'll take it!

No such thing as lopsided if everything is double digits.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN Mobile

Kaplan free online diagnostic: 24

ExamKrackers #1H: 23

AAMC 3: 34

05/31/2012 MCAT: 33 (VR: 13 / PS: 10 / BS: 10) P

[Goal: 30]

[Predicted: 27]

Proud, relieved, happy. To hell with this horrible, inhumane test.

Last edited:
AAMC Average: 31
Post-test prediction: 27-33
Actual: 29N (ps9,vr10,bs10)

honestly thought i did worse, made too many unsure guesses. sucks because i would have been pleased with a 30... oh well back to the grind stone... kinda happy i get another shot! to all everyone that got their desired scores CONGRATULATIONS! Get those apps in and pursue the dream!
to my fellow retakers... "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts" - Winston Churchill
Sept 7th retake... LEGOOOOOO!!!!! :)

That's nothing dude. My score from today was 10/12/14. Lol.

First time I scored my test!! :D:D I just want a score that is acceptable for my state med school and if I get a 27-28, I'll be so d@mn happy!!

Anyways, is it possible that there were two versions of the test given today? Because, my experience was somewhat different to most of you.

PS: OH MY GEEZUZ!! I have no idea what I'm doing on this section! And I ran out of time!! :scared::scared: I thought it was pretty tough!! :(:(

VR: I'm soo happy there wasn't a passage tough to understand. I'm an ESL student and I can't get higher than 9 on this section on my practice tests. But, I didn't have a hard time on today's VR! Hope that's a good sign! :D

WS: No one cares, I guess. :laugh:

BS: There's that one crazy passage I took forever to finish and I hated myself for spending soo much time on it. But overall, it wasn't bad. :D

Overall, I feel like I did OK. I'm surprisingly soo optimistic right now and that's not usually a good sign for me but what the hell! I'm just happy that my state med school is not very MCAT picky! :p

AAMC Average: 27
Goal: 27-28
Post-test prediction: 26
Actual: 28 L

The post above was my reaction after I took the test. My post test feelings were pretty darn accurate. I got what I wanted but I feel like I can do so much better!!! I am horrified with my L score for the writing section. I know schools do not pay attention to the writing score. But what if it's this bad? What do you guys think?

Last edited:
Goddamn, you're the (current) top-runner in this thread at the moment. Score distribution?

PS/VR/BS = 14/12/13 for the 39. It was right around where I felt I should have scored before taking the exam, but immediately after I finished the exam I felt horrible. I didn't void because of what I had read on SDN and the fact that taking the MCAT once was more than enough

PS/VR/BS = 14/12/13 for the 39. It was right around where I felt I should have scored before taking the exam, but immediately after I finished the exam I felt horrible. I didn't void because of what I had read on SDN and the fact that taking the MCAT once was more than enough

14 VR? What the schist. Yeah you're probably happy as heck that you didn't void out of passion heh.

Thanks man, looks like I'll need luck on my side this time. almost 5 points lower than my average seems like an automatic decision to retake. I guess all those mistakes and unsure questions I had on each section were wrong, hoping to get the other side of the coin flip this next time.

Like I said I'm not that upset because I was kind of expecting it, but I was still hopeful that maybe I didn't make so many mistakes.

Yeah, seriously. Good luck, but you're already in the top 10% of scorers. If you don't do atleast 3ish pts higher it looks like you're gunning super hard.

Better get that 38 ;)

Not satisfied with my score today, definitely going to retake. Just submitted my primary application. Is retaking on September 7th going to completely screw me? I wont get my results until beginning of October. I would take it sooner, but I need as much time as possible to get back in the swing of things. This past month has been spent doing things that do not help in preparation for the MCAT (i.e. drinking a lot of bourbon)

Yeah, seriously. Good luck, but you're already in the top 10% of scorers. If you don't do atleast 3ish pts higher it looks like you're gunning super hard.

Better get that 38 ;)

Kasho will own it, I'm sorry you didn't do your average Kasho, you got this, Sep Test will be your Bi***

Why are you retaking it? Is there something in your application that you're trying to make up for?

Why are you retaking it? Is there something in your application that you're trying to make up for?

I think he said he needs to make up for his GPA, plus also, he did score 5 pnts lower than his average, which sucks lol, especially when he studied like 7 months for it, and isn't applying this year either, might as well retake it

AAMC Average: about a 31.5 (roughly 09PS, 11VR, 12BS)
Goal: 33
Post-test prediction: 30 (10PS, 08VR, 12BS)
Actual: 27 Q (09PS, 09VR, 09BS)

I am completely devastated.

I didn't score below a 10 a single time in Bio... even before I had studied. I have no idea what happened.

Like Kasho, I fell more than 4 points below my average somehow.

Retake.

Might have to push off medical school for another year... I have a full time job so I can't dedicate the appropriate number of hours to studying.

EDIT: I got a 07PS, 09VR, 10BS (26) on my DIAGNOSTIC (on 2/14/12) And then studied really hard for 3.5 months. How can I have gotten a 9 for the first time ever on Bio ... it went up to 13s closer to the test date, a 9 in VR .... I was up to 12s/13s by the time of the test date.... I'm totally shocked. I was at first thinking they gave me the wrong score or mixed my test up .... WTF... like I am barely holding it together here.

Last edited:
AAMC Average: 29
Prediction: had no idea, felt like s*** after the test
Actual: 29R

Score was spot on with my AAMC 10/11 (got 29's on both).
Retaking in a couple months for sure.

AAMC Average: 32
Prediction: 25-33
Actual: 34M 12/10/12 PS/VR/BS

After taking the test I stared at the void screen for a good 5mins thinking that I had failed. Guessed mostly on the last passage on VR since I ran out of time. I could never accurately predict my VR score but def thought I got a 7. PS and BS were right on my averages but didnt think that way right after I took it especially after that hard BS passage.

Moral of the story: NEVER trust your post test feelings.

So relieved right now!!!!! Congrats to everyone else!

Not satisfied with my score today, definitely going to retake. Just submitted my primary application. Is retaking on September 7th going to completely screw me? I wont get my results until beginning of October. I would take it sooner, but I need as much time as possible to get back in the swing of things. This past month has been spent doing things that do not help in preparation for the MCAT (i.e. drinking a lot of bourbon)
what did you get that you are not satisfied with?

AAMC avg: 31
actual: 29 (10PS/9V/10BS)

I was dealing with a lot at the time and while I am disappointed I didn't get to showcase my actual abilities, I feel confident I can get in somewhere with my 3.96 gpa and a 29

AAMC Average: 12.1/10.6/12.9 (35.6)
Goal: 35+
Actual: 12/9/14 PS/VR/BS (35)

So right on the average or so. Think my score is too lopsided?

:( I'm really disappointed with my score and I'm pretty sure my bf (whose sister tells him less than 35 isn't good enough) is too.

Sigh... I want to retake. Can someone please convince me that a 32 is ok :(

AAMC Average: 12.1/10.6/12.9 (35.6)
Goal: 35+
Actual: 12/9/14 PS/VR/BS (35)

So right on the average or so. Think my score is too lopsided?
Eh, the VR could be higher but hey, it's probably not going to be much of a factor and it would be insane to retake. Congrats on an excellent score!

:( I'm really disappointed with my score and I'm pretty sure my bf (whose sister tells him less than 35 isn't good enough) is too.

Sigh... I want to retake. Can someone please convince me that a 32 is ok :(

what???

gtfo.gif

Just stopping by to congratulate everyone! I'm in the June 21st group but it's awesome to see so many people do so well!