*-*-*The Official AMCAS Questions Thread 2011*-*-*

Started by JJMrK
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Realistically, when is the earliest I will need to send letters of recommendation? I heard that schools request them on their secondary applications... Assuming I submit my AMCAS on June 1, and assuming I receive some secondaries, when would I have to send my letters of recommendation?
 
Sorry if this thread is already exists, but I've found trouble finding a clear recent thread on this subject.

Is it recommended to use AMCAS letter serivice or Interfolio? Which is easier to set up for me and the letter writer?

I would like more information on how to use the letter service in AMCAS. If you have LORs submitted electronically, how are they signed, scanned to PDF?

I also don't have any addresses. Should I request the work or personal?

Dankeschoen!

-FredericoJuanito
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I think Combined.

i disagree.

Hi guys,

For the UC systems, the lab is offered as a 4 unit course (equivalent to 1 of the lecture courses that have 3 parts).

So we spend like 10 hours a week in lab, and maybe 1-2 in lecture. Would I list this as "Lab Only" or "Combined Lecture and Lab?"

I feel like combined lecture and lab refers to those schools that have 1 unit labs attached to 3 unit lectures, which is not the case. Should I choose "lab only" and ignore the fact that there was a little lecture to emphasize it's a lab class?

this sounds like all of my lab courses in college. the lecture is only there to support the work you're doing in lab-- it's a lab. not a combined course. i had at least 3 classes that i classified this way on AMCAS.

I was wondering in the past...... people who submitted in June... when were you verified??

Also.... did anyone submit and then weeks later your MCAT score was sent? ... How did that work out?

Thanks🙂

submitted june 2, verified same day i think. don't know about MCAT.

I believe schools are first able to access your application in July. So any time in June will pretty much guarantee you are in the first batch.

Moving this to AMCAS questions.

but keep in mind that the later you submit the longer verification takes. submitting june 30th could mean late july/early august verification. also i didn't know there was a lag time during which schools didn't have access... but i guess it makes sense 😕
 
Realistically, when is the earliest I will need to send letters of recommendation? I heard that schools request them on their secondary applications... Assuming I submit my AMCAS on June 1, and assuming I receive some secondaries, when would I have to send my letters of recommendation?

I'd like to know this too. I have 2 LORs still pending which my health professions office wont receive till June. I know for DO schools, LORs can be sent in with secondaries. Is this the same for AMCAS?

And another question (which I think I know the answer to but just want to make sure): My health professions office will probably send my LORs as a packet. If I have them send it now, they will then have to send another one later when they receive my other 2 LORs. So two packets is fine for the AMCAS right? (I'll double check with my office as well)

Last question: I'm confident all my LORs are good except for one though. Do the health professions office automatically determine which to send and which not to send?
 
and do you guys list all your honors under one thing? like scholarships, honor societies, dean's list, etc..
 
and one last question:

this mite be obvious, but is it okay to list hobbies that arent necessarily affiliated with an actual organization.

for example, i still play the trumpet and piano but havnt done an actual performance since high school. but i still play them from time to time.

i love basketball and play whenever i get the chance, but im not part of a league

i also do a little break-dancing and mixed martial arts.

i was just gonna list these. and i can definitely back it up if at the interview they happen to challenge me to a 1 on 1 basketball game, break dance battle, or mixed martial arts fight to get into medical school. (which would be awesome)
 
I have a question about transcript credits.

I just received my transcript from Duke, which I ordered for myself since you are supposed to copy the grades/credits from the transcript they originally came from.

On my Duke transcript it says every course I took counted for 1 credit. Japanese, Chem, engineering, all the same.

However, when it transferred to my state school later, that transcript says 4 credits for each course.

Do I really just put 1 credit in for my Duke classes? Wouldn't that really skew my gpa since all the other classes I took at the other university counted as 3 and 4 credits?

I'm really confused, and suddenly have no idea how to compute my GPA. I'm trying not to get my hopes up, because a couple of my Duke classes being counted as 1 credit instead of 4 would make me really happy 😉

Any ideas?
 
Thanks for all the help so far everyone.

I did a few searches but couldn't find an answer to this. Just to make sure, we don't list our actual AP test score right?
 
For research, can you only put down projects you did during the summer, or can you also put down independent projects in class. We did two independent projects in Biochemistry, one during Spring and one during Fall semester and I am wondering if these would qualify. Thanks to anyone who answers.
 
For ease of use, AMCAS letter services is by far easiest. It updates instantly when your referee sends a letter in and e-mails you too. Since you submit it electronically, your referee will need to have the software to upload it in pdf format with letterhead/signature.

Here is the FAQ from the AMCAS website:

http://www.aamc.org/students/amcas/faq/amcaslettersfaq.htm

Note that not all schools participate in AMCAS letter service, if you want to apply to those schools, then you might as well just use Interfolio.
 
I came into college with a lot of AP credits and such, graduating after 3 years. In other threads, I keep hearing about AMCAS re-organizing your class standing (freshmen/sophomore), so I'm worried about my upward trend showing up weird. So..

1. Will they still get to see the breakdown of GPA's quarter by quarter?
2. How many credits until one is considered "Senior?"


I ask because this could make the difference between submitting now or waiting until after spring quarter. I have had a few quarters of 4.0's, so I really want them to see the grades broken down in academic years, not by units, which could make the upward trend weird. Does anyone know how they do it?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I came into college with a lot of AP credits and such, graduating after 3 years. In other threads, I keep hearing about AMCAS re-organizing your class standing (freshmen/sophomore), so I'm worried about my upward trend showing up weird. So..

1. Will they still get to see the breakdown of GPA's quarter by quarter?
2. How many credits until one is considered "Senior?"


I ask because this could make the difference between submitting now or waiting until after spring quarter. I have had a few quarters of 4.0's, so I really want them to see the grades broken down in academic years, not by units, which could make the upward trend weird. Does anyone know how they do it?

1. Probably not, unless the school specifically requests a copy of your transcripts during the application review process (i.e with your secondary application). Most schools simply use the GPA as reported in the AMCAS application, which are separate by year in college, not quarterly.

2. Depends on why you are asking this. Each school usually has its own criteria. The AMCAS criteria are outline on page 35 of the 2011 AMCAS instruction: http://www.aamc.org/students/amcas/2011amcasinstructions.pdf

-admissions committee interviewer / senior medical student
 
1. Probably not, unless the school specifically requests a copy of your transcripts during the application review process (i.e with your secondary application). Most schools simply use the GPA as reported in the AMCAS application, which are separate by year in college, not quarterly.

2. Depends on why you are asking this. Each school usually has its own criteria. The AMCAS criteria are outline on page 35 of the 2011 AMCAS instruction: http://www.aamc.org/students/amcas/2011amcasinstructions.pdf

-admissions committee interviewer / senior medical student

Thanks (and to Armybound too)!

So to clarify, they separate by year in college, as in CALENDAR year in college?
 
Thanks (and to Armybound too)!

So to clarify, they separate by year in college, as in CALENDAR year in college?

i believe you determine it when you enter your courses in ... but if it varies too much form what your transcript year says they will change it. They won't see quarter by quarter, but they will see it year by year.
 
Does any one know where Medicinal Chemistry fits? I am not quite sure if I can fit it with BCPM, it is not listed. 😕
 
Does any one know where Medicinal Chemistry fits? I am not quite sure if I can fit it with BCPM, it is not listed. 😕

Go based on the department. If it's offered by the chemistry department, call it BCPM. It doesn't really matter, as AMCAS will change things around as they see fit.
 
Hey everyone! I had a question about AP and IB credits. I took both the AP and IB exams for Biology, and passed both to receive college credit for Bio 1, do I have to put down both exams? A lot of my exams overlapped. A lot of my IB credits were also in English and History (not related to my major) so should I include those too? The reason I'm asking is because I came into college with a TON of credits and it would be so tedious to mention them all 🙁 thank youuu!
 
Also, I took a college algebra class in 2002 (middle school) that's on my transcript. Does that have to be entered too? If so, do I enter it as a freshman year grade or can I put 2002? I wasn't sure about the latter because on AMCAS I wrote that I began college in 2007 and it might come off as confusing.
 
Hi, all. I'd love some clarification on reporting coursework taken during high school.

My high school has this program with the local community college where we take AP classes physically at the high school but also get credit for it at the community college. I also took the AP exams for all of those classes, got great scores, and my university awarded me credit based off of my AP scores.

Do I still need to send in a transcript from the community college? I was kind of a slacker during high school... if AAMC calculates my GPA including those letter grades, well, they'd come up with something a lot lower than what my college GPA is right now. I feel like high school is coming back to bite me in the butt.

I've been thinking about talking about this in my PS but would that detract too much from the "why I want to go into medicine" focus? Thanks in advance!
 
Hi guys,

For the UC systems, the lab is offered as a 4 unit course (equivalent to 1 of the lecture courses that have 3 parts).

So we spend like 10 hours a week in lab, and maybe 1-2 in lecture. Would I list this as "Lab Only" or "Combined Lecture and Lab?"

I feel like combined lecture and lab refers to those schools that have 1 unit labs attached to 3 unit lectures, which is not the case. Should I choose "lab only" and ignore the fact that there was a little lecture to emphasize it's a lab class?

If you receive a separate grade for your lab class and your lecture class, it's not combined. If you have a lecture for your lab class, that doesn't make it a combined class... it makes it a lab class with additional instruction.

I was wondering in the past...... people who submitted in June... when were you verified??

In 2007, I submitted June 21. I was verified on June 23, I think. In 2009, I submitted like June 2, and was verified 2-3 days later (I had a fairly complicated application).

What happens when your volume of AP Credits granted to you by your home university exceeds "freshman status"? AMCAS told me today that I have no "freshman GPA" if I don't list any of my actual university course work as a freshman (despite that I have more than X amount of credit hours than the freshman maximum and am techincally a sophomore).

Include your AP credits in your freshman status. Include your first year of classes as well. It doesn't matter how many credits you have... go by the year in school. Technically, I started as a second semester sophomore... I was still slotted as a freshman for at least that first semester. I can't remember exactly how they broke it down after that.

Is it recommended to use AMCAS letter serivice or Interfolio? Which is easier to set up for me and the letter writer?

I would like more information on how to use the letter service in AMCAS. If you have LORs submitted electronically, how are they signed, scanned to PDF?

I also don't have any addresses. Should I request the work or personal?

You have to send your letters to the AMCAS letter service. The reason people use Interfolio is two-fold. 1) if you, unfortunately, have to reapply, you still have access to your past LORs, so you don't have to hunt down professors to get them to write new letters (you should, but if you can't get in contact with one, you can still use the old letter). 2) you can start collecting your LORs before AMCAS opens.

I have a question about transcript credits.

I just received my transcript from Duke, which I ordered for myself since you are supposed to copy the grades/credits from the transcript they originally came from.

On my Duke transcript it says every course I took counted for 1 credit. Japanese, Chem, engineering, all the same.

However, when it transferred to my state school later, that transcript says 4 credits for each course.

Do I really just put 1 credit in for my Duke classes? Wouldn't that really skew my gpa since all the other classes I took at the other university counted as 3 and 4 credits?

I'm really confused, and suddenly have no idea how to compute my GPA. I'm trying not to get my hopes up, because a couple of my Duke classes being counted as 1 credit instead of 4 would make me really happy 😉

Any ideas?

How many credits at Duke was considered full time? 3? 4? Divide 12 by that number (that's how many credit hours is equal to full time status, according to the financial aid office). Multiply your Duke credits by that number to get credit hours.

I came into college with a lot of AP credits and such, graduating after 3 years. In other threads, I keep hearing about AMCAS re-organizing your class standing (freshmen/sophomore), so I'm worried about my upward trend showing up weird. So..

1. Will they still get to see the breakdown of GPA's quarter by quarter?
2. How many credits until one is considered "Senior?"


I ask because this could make the difference between submitting now or waiting until after spring quarter. I have had a few quarters of 4.0's, so I really want them to see the grades broken down in academic years, not by units, which could make the upward trend weird. Does anyone know how they do it?

They sort it by academic year. All your freshman courses are lumped together, sophomore courses are lumped together, junior, senior, post-bacc, etc. But, they also get a break down of all your courses and the grade you got in them. They may not see the trend in numbers, but they'll still be able to see it in the courses themselves.

Hey everyone! I had a question about AP and IB credits. I took both the AP and IB exams for Biology, and passed both to receive college credit for Bio 1, do I have to put down both exams? A lot of my exams overlapped. A lot of my IB credits were also in English and History (not related to my major) so should I include those too? The reason I'm asking is because I came into college with a TON of credits and it would be so tedious to mention them all 🙁 thank youuu!

You don't put down the exams at all...you put down the credit that you got for the exams in college. So, if getting a 7 on the IB exam got you credit for bio 1 and 2, then you put down bio 1 and 2 on the application, then check 'IB' at the bottom.

You have to put everything that's on your transcript, so if you got credit for your history and English AP/IB courses, then yes, you have to put them down as well. This is why this whole process is so tedious.

Also, I took a college algebra class in 2002 (middle school) that's on my transcript. Does that have to be entered too? If so, do I enter it as a freshman year grade or can I put 2002? I wasn't sure about the latter because on AMCAS I wrote that I began college in 2007 and it might come off as confusing.

I believe you put it as 'high school' and put the year you took it. You have to send a transcript from the school you took the course at, though.
 
This is a stupid question, but just to clarify, you DO NOT need to send in LOE with your primary application, right? Just when the secondary is due, right?
 
For research, can you only put down projects you did during the summer, or can you also put down independent projects in class. We did two independent projects in Biochemistry, one during Spring and one during Fall semester and I am wondering if these would qualify. Thanks to anyone who answers.

if it was an assignment for a class i wouldn't include in your activities unless it resulted in a poster or presentation.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thanks mvenus! I was kind of hoping I wouldn't have to mention the B+ in college algebra since it was long before high school even started 🙁
 
Thanks a lot for answering my questions about the classes/credits/AP...I will keep what i have, which is going by credit hours granted by my university...so more or less freshman, sophomore, junior, senior years...

Also, someone asked about looking to see if they received your transcript. There's a "details" button next to where it shows whether you've submitted your app or not, so click there and it'll show whether your transcripts have been received.

Also, on my transcript, it does not show the classes for which you received "credit" due to an AP exam. For example, I know my school waives me out of the the first two quarters of Calculus with a 5 on the AP Calc BC exam, but it does not show the score I received on the AP test or the first two quarters of calc. Consequently, AMCAS told me to list out my AP scores and any "credit" I received with them--they checked out how I entered it and she said "you're doing exactly what we want, good job!" Hope that helps for some people.
 
I am a graduating senior. Should I tell my school to hold sending my transcript until grades for my last quarter are in, or should I just have them send it now? The grades would be in probably by mid June; they'll be As, but I dont think they'll actually change my GPA (would be 3.977 to 3.978 lol--curse my school not rounding).
 
I have a question about lumping things together for ECs. I had a lot to list, so I had to lump together the clubs I was in, leadership, conference acceptances, and posters. For like clubs I called it "Club/Organization Membership" then for organization I put my schools name and under description I put each club and the dates I was in it. Thing is, I didn't know what to put in for contacts. Should I put in one club contact (if there is one anymore) and then list contacts for the rest in the description? For a lot of my ECs, I just listed my school and then a contact as well.
 
I am a graduating senior. Should I tell my school to hold sending my transcript until grades for my last quarter are in, or should I just have them send it now? The grades would be in probably by mid June; they'll be As, but I dont think they'll actually change my GPA (would be 3.977 to 3.978 lol--curse my school not rounding).
Having your application done a month earlier would probably help you more than the GPA increase.
 
I have a question about awards. I read from last year's thread that we're not supposed to list high school awards unless they were for activities that we continued through college. Some of the awards I received the summer after high school. May I count those? I am also wondering if I may write "high school valedictorian" or not. Is that too far in the past? Thanks!
 
I have a question about awards. I read from last year's thread that we're not supposed to list high school awards unless they were for activities that we continued through college. Some of the awards I received the summer after high school. May I count those? I am also wondering if I may write "high school valedictorian" or not. Is that too far in the past? Thanks!

No. Do not mention valedictorian. I probably wouldn't mention those other awards either.
 
sorry for bringing this up again, i know it was just answered but I'm still a little confused...

i started college with 30 AP/IB credits. My freshman year had a really low GPA (2.8sGPA, 3.0cGPA) but my soph/jr year were 3.8/4.0. I was hoping theyd see the upward trend, but now am I supposed to label my freshman year classes as sophomore year classes bc of all my AP credits? will that kill my upward trend? yikes.
 
sorry for bringing this up again, i know it was just answered but I'm still a little confused...

i started college with 30 AP/IB credits. My freshman year had a really low GPA (2.8sGPA, 3.0cGPA) but my soph/jr year were 3.8/4.0. I was hoping theyd see the upward trend, but now am I supposed to label my freshman year classes as sophomore year classes bc of all my AP credits? will that kill my upward trend? yikes.

No, your AP credits will be listed under your first freshman semester along with all of your freshman classes. Freshman year = all your classes + AP credits. Sophomore year is all your sophomore classes, etc. Your upward trend is fine.
 
oh good! thanks so much! i wasnt sure because the amcas instructions said each year should have between 27-35 credits and if there was a discrepancy they would adjust it
 
oh good! thanks so much! i wasnt sure because the amcas instructions said each year should have between 27-35 credits and if there was a discrepancy they would adjust it

Yeah, I don't think they will fix it. I had about 19-31 hours of AP credit and I just listed them all under Freshman Fall along with all my other classes and they just let that be. I was kind of worried, too, because it would have changed up my GPA distribution from 4.0, 3.something, 4.0 to different versions of 3.somethings and it just didn't look as good. :laugh:
 
Yeah, I don't think they will fix it. I had about 19-31 hours of AP credit and I just listed them all under Freshman Fall along with all my other classes and they just let that be. I was kind of worried, too, because it would have changed up my GPA distribution from 4.0, 3.something, 4.0 to different versions of 3.somethings and it just didn't look as good. :laugh:

They'll fix it if they want to. I think they changed about half of my classifications in the end.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have a question about lumping things together for ECs. I had a lot to list, so I had to lump together the clubs I was in, leadership, conference acceptances, and posters. For like clubs I called it "Club/Organization Membership" then for organization I put my schools name and under description I put each club and the dates I was in it. Thing is, I didn't know what to put in for contacts. Should I put in one club contact (if there is one anymore) and then list contacts for the rest in the description? For a lot of my ECs, I just listed my school and then a contact as well.

I was just wondering if anyone knew what to do about this. Also, with AP classes, I took one during my 2005-2006 year in high school, or would I put it under 2007-2008 freshman year (even though I have it listed as freshman, 1st year fall anyway)?
 
I was just wondering if anyone knew what to do about this. Also, with AP classes, I took one during my 2005-2006 year in high school, or would I put it under 2007-2008 freshman year (even though I have it listed as freshman, 1st year fall anyway)?

List all AP classes under freshman year.

As for your first question, if you have too many clubs I guess you could do your suggestion with bullets and stuff. I can't give you a definitive answer, but it might be best lumping all your clubs together in a bulleted list if you don't want to use an activity slot for each individual one - kind of like lumping all awards in a single thing.
 
List all AP classes under freshman year.

I have a question about this. I started school at Duke and they only listed 2 AP courses on my transcript because those are the only ones I received a 5 in.

However, when I transferred to my state school later on, I gained 3 extra AP courses on my transcript (ones I had received a 3 or 4 on). I'd imagine I would not list them under freshman year since they don't appear on my freshman year transcript. Isn't it going to look odd putting AP on one of my later years or are they used to that?
 
I have a question about this. I started school at Duke and they only listed 2 AP courses on my transcript because those are the only ones I received a 5 in.

However, when I transferred to my state school later on, I gained 3 extra AP courses on my transcript (ones I had received a 3 or 4 on). I'd imagine I would not list them under freshman year since they don't appear on my freshman year transcript. Isn't it going to look odd putting AP on one of my later years or are they used to that?

it honestly would not matter. AMCAS gets your transcripts and will change them if necessary. i would just put the APs wherever they appear on your transcript and go from there.
 
Someone asked if LOE's are sent in with secondaries. I just want to be clear that LOE = LOR right?

I still have 2 LORs pending. Because LORs are sent in with secondaries, should I just wait till I receive all my LORs before I have my health professions send in a packet to AMCAS or should I have them send in what I have now then add the other 2 later?

Last question: I'm confident all my LORs are good except for one though. Do the health professions office automatically determine which to send and which not to send?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.