*-*-*The Official AMCAS Questions Thread 2011*-*-*

Started by JJMrK
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
this is a dumb question but i just want to make sure. my dad graduated from a foreign medical school and is now practicing as a physician here in the states after going through another residency. when i click the highest level of education completed, would it be "some other graduate school,"

someone was telling me doctoral degree but he doesnt have a Phd.
 
I went to get my transcript for AMCAS today, and they told me that the final grades wont be official until the end of May!

This means that if I try sending it off now, it will still have my marks from the winter term, but it will say the marks are NOT official.

Should I wait until the end of May or should I just tell them to send it off now? Thanks!!!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'd wait until the end of May, especially if you have good grades for the past semester. If you have the rest of your app completed, it shouldn't be a hindrance on getting verified and you will be ok.
 
mvenus929....thanks for the reply.

My Med Tech internship was complicated. My undergrad paid for it, and it shows up on my transcript from there as MT Clin Int just as pass/fail. they dont know what actual classes i took, and my degree was already granted prior to that. The hospital has a transcript available so I'm definitely sending that. I want to be able to list the actual courses but I can't add it as a college (it won't let me because its not an actual college!)

This sucks...I feel like no matter what I do its going to probably be messed up and delay me from getting verified quickly. This might be something I'll need to call the AMCAS people about haha.

Let me know what you think (if this makes any sense!)
 
mvenus929....thanks for the reply.

My Med Tech internship was complicated. My undergrad paid for it, and it shows up on my transcript from there as MT Clin Int just as pass/fail. they dont know what actual classes i took, and my degree was already granted prior to that. The hospital has a transcript available so I'm definitely sending that. I want to be able to list the actual courses but I can't add it as a college (it won't let me because its not an actual college!)

This sucks...I feel like no matter what I do its going to probably be messed up and delay me from getting verified quickly. This might be something I'll need to call the AMCAS people about haha.

Let me know what you think (if this makes any sense!)

i remember calling an AMCAS rep last year at least twice. they will be able to tell you what to do about entering those classes.
 
Hey, does anyone know how to enter grad courses on AMCAS? I took a grad course this semester as a senior, but there's no option on AMCAS to indicate that it was a grad course (unless I'm missing something). I'd appreciate if someone could point me in the right direction. Thanks :luck:

If you took it as an undergrad, you just list the course number and name. If your college is like most, it'll have a graduate level number (Chem 500 vs Chem 300, etc).

this is a dumb question but i just want to make sure. my dad graduated from a foreign medical school and is now practicing as a physician here in the states after going through another residency. when i click the highest level of education completed, would it be "some other graduate school,"

someone was telling me doctoral degree but he doesnt have a Phd.

He has an MD... a medical doctorate. So yes, he has a doctorate.

mvenus929....thanks for the reply.

My Med Tech internship was complicated. My undergrad paid for it, and it shows up on my transcript from there as MT Clin Int just as pass/fail. they dont know what actual classes i took, and my degree was already granted prior to that. The hospital has a transcript available so I'm definitely sending that. I want to be able to list the actual courses but I can't add it as a college (it won't let me because its not an actual college!)

This sucks...I feel like no matter what I do its going to probably be messed up and delay me from getting verified quickly. This might be something I'll need to call the AMCAS people about haha.

Let me know what you think (if this makes any sense!)

That does sound complicated. I don't know if this'll help, but my AP credits show up on my transcript as 'transfer credits, princeton NJ', and I just sent in an additional form that broke it down. I imagine if you send in the hospital transcript, they'd consider it something like that for the p/f course your undergrad granted you.

But, to be safe, you might just want to call AMCAS.
 
thanks for the replies...i would assume I could just list it as it is on my undergrad transcript and just send in the hospital transcript...but im thinking a call to amcas is in order!
 
I worked for a Volunteer group for around a year organizing events on a volunteer basis, after that i was hired for another year and a half on a payment basis. so would i put this under voluteer, or under Employment?

Also, i had an internship during the summer of my junior year where i worked with japaneese girls teaching them english, it was a paid internship through the school, but it was also a 3 credit hour course.

btw is it good to have gotten LOR from the CEO of the first company and the director/professor in charge of the second EC?

thanks!
 
Hey guys for Research classes taken im not sure what to put for their class classification.

Since there is no option for "Research" and we must classify the classes based on primary content do we just put what field the research was in.

For example: If it was genetics research we would classify it as biology.

However I have one that is for Psychiatry, should I put this under Health Sciences or something else?

Also do you click "Lab Only" for research that you got credit for?

Thanks

bump for a reply as to how some of you guys handled research classes taken for a grade when it asks "Did the course include a lab section?". Do you click "Lecture only", "Lab only" or "Combined Lecture and Lab"
 
By the way, guys, just remember that sometimes people won't have clear cut solutions to the questions you are asking. In that case, you just need to make an executive decision as to what you will do. Don't go making mountains out of mole hills, it's only AMCAS. :laugh:
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
For those who are verified in the a day, when is the earliest that secondaries come out?

Also, do the secondary prompts for the schools not change at all from year to year?
 
For those who are verified in the a day, when is the earliest that secondaries come out?

Also, do the secondary prompts for the schools not change at all from year to year?

The earliest secondary I had was Baylor in the middle of June, but it was an online prompt that opened up early. Most come out from late June to the middle of July, but some can take much longer to arrive. Interview invites start in the first week of August if you fill out your secondaries in a timely matter (about a week). Only 1 of my 16 secondaries changed prompts from the year before.

To have an idea of how verification time exponentially increases, I knew people that submitted as soon as submission opened in June (8AM) and were verified in an hour. I submitted that night around 8PM and had to wait 6 days. You can only imagine how much longer it takes the longer you wait.
 
Thanks to everybody who has been answering questions (Met you seem to be hard at work 😀).

FYI: The second post of this thread is going to serve as a sort of laundry list of commonly asked questions and links to other helpful threads. If anyone wants to nominate a question/answer combo for that post feel free.
 
Probably a stupid question, but I rather be sure than sorry. In the LOE section, it asks the question "Is this letter from a school?".Again, kind of foolish question on my part, but what do they mean exactly? It's from a professor in the school, but it's not on behalf of the school. I gather I just select yes if it's from someone working in the school?
 
Probably a stupid question, but I rather be sure than sorry. In the LOE section, it asks the question "Is this letter from a school?".Again, kind of foolish question on my part, but what do they mean exactly? It's from a professor in the school, but it's not on behalf of the school. I gather I just select yes if it's from someone working in the school?

That is correct.
 
I asked this earlier but did not get an answer. Can your non-science LOR be from a professor you've worked with outside of class, but has not necessarily taught a course you were enrolled in? Thanks.

I think it should be from someone who taught you.
 
I asked this earlier but did not get an answer. Can your non-science LOR be from a professor you've worked with outside of class, but has not necessarily taught a course you were enrolled in? Thanks.
90% of the time no. You will have to call each individual school and find out if its ok. Thats what i did, some said yes, others said no. A large majority tended to say no and it had to be a class you took.
 
Probably a stupid question, but I rather be sure than sorry. In the LOE section, it asks the question "Is this letter from a school?".Again, kind of foolish question on my part, but what do they mean exactly? It's from a professor in the school, but it's not on behalf of the school. I gather I just select yes if it's from someone working in the school?

yes. a letter from an employer is an example of where you would check no.
 
I asked this earlier but did not get an answer. Can your non-science LOR be from a professor you've worked with outside of class, but has not necessarily taught a course you were enrolled in? Thanks.

you can use this letter, but probably not as an "academic" letter. those need to come from professors who have taught a course. i would still ask this person for a letter, send it amcas, and then decide if you think you want to send it to certain schools. treat it as an employer or volunteer LOR.
 
you can use this letter, but probably not as an "academic" letter. those need to come from professors who have taught a course. i would still ask this person for a letter, send it amcas, and then decide if you think you want to send it to certain schools. treat it as an employer or volunteer LOR.

My school has a committee letter with letter packet, and they say that it bypasses most schools' specific requirements (i.e. non-science letter). Does anyone have experience if this is true or not? And also, I assume that schools will contact you to ask for supplemental letters rather than just rejecting your app if they want letters other than what's in the packet?
 
My school has a committee letter with letter packet, and they say that it bypasses most schools' specific requirements (i.e. non-science letter). Does anyone have experience if this is true or not? And also, I assume that schools will contact you to ask for supplemental letters rather than just rejecting your app if they want letters other than what's in the packet?

I would trust your committee if this is what they are telling you. How many other people have they done this for - hundreds? If they are practiced, go with it.

Caution - never assume this. Schools have 6,000 applications to go through - if you're missing a requirement, they have every right to NOT contact to you to ask you to fix it, especially if their requirements are published. Your application can simply get dumped. Its your responsibility to make sure all your ducks are in a line. Remember, its your application, not theirs.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
My school has a committee letter with letter packet, and they say that it bypasses most schools' specific requirements (i.e. non-science letter). Does anyone have experience if this is true or not? And also, I assume that schools will contact you to ask for supplemental letters rather than just rejecting your app if they want letters other than what's in the packet?

The committee letter will typically be allowed without a non-science letter, but if they're attaching a letter packet, why not get a non-science LOR anyway? AMCAS will allow you to send 10 letters, and the committee letter + letter packet only counts as one. If necessary, you can have a non-science prof bypass the committee by sending the letter directly to AMCAS.

Do not assume schools will contact you if something is missing (pre-interview, at least). They have thousands of apps to slog through and may not take the time to contact someone who didn't follow directions. The individual schools have letter requirements posted on their websites.
 
The committee letter will typically be allowed without a non-science letter, but if they're attaching a letter packet, why not get a non-science LOR anyway? AMCAS will allow you to send 10 letters, and the committee letter + letter packet only counts as one. If necessary, you can have a non-science prof bypass the committee by sending the letter directly to AMCAS.

Do not assume schools will contact you if something is missing (pre-interview, at least). They have thousands of apps to slog through and may not take the time to contact someone who didn't follow directions. The individual schools have letter requirements posted on their websites.

Thanks for the replies, I am getting a non-sci LOR but wasn't putting it in my packet because I have some other work-related letters to include (i'm nontrad). But I will have it sent to AMCAS and then directly to the school if necessary. And I'll contact schools that require this LOR (though I'm not sure any explicitly do with a committee letter) if I don't hear back from them.
Thanks!
 
Thanks for the replies, I am getting a non-sci LOR but wasn't putting it in my packet because I have some other work-related letters to include (i'm nontrad). But I will have it sent to AMCAS and then directly to the school if necessary. And I'll contact schools that require this LOR (though I'm not sure any explicitly do with a committee letter) if I don't hear back from them.
Thanks!

If its a significant experience in your activities section, then def have the LOR handy. Ad coms might wonder why you don't have a LOR from this person if this activity was a major part of your life/school.
 
How do we list courses that we are currently taking? I will probably get the grades for it in July, but I don't want to wait that long. Should I just not list it? Or should I list it without a grade. Amcas says that if I list it without a grade, my application could be considered incomplete, which I don't want.

Thanks
 
How do we list courses that we are currently taking? I will probably get the grades for it in July, but I don't want to wait that long. Should I just not list it? Or should I list it without a grade. Amcas says that if I list it without a grade, my application could be considered incomplete, which I don't want.

Thanks

Are you happy with your current GPA without those classes? If you are, then just go ahead and send in your primary without those grades. You can update the schools on your new grades later if you feel the need to (usually in the form of a LOI/update).
 
How do we list courses that we are currently taking? I will probably get the grades for it in July, but I don't want to wait that long. Should I just not list it? Or should I list it without a grade. Amcas says that if I list it without a grade, my application could be considered incomplete, which I don't want.

Thanks

There should be a drop down tab that allows you to designate "in progress." Not listing = lying by omission.
 
I'm not sure where this drop down tab is. Can you point out to me where it is?

In the section where you enter the classes. There is a tab to enter the semester you are taking it. If it is currently in progress, I thought there was a way to designate this. Look at the amcas "how-to" pdf, this may help clarify. I can't tell you exactly how to do as I can't get into my 2009-10 application anymore.
 
I'm just verifying that I'm entering AP credits correctly. My school puts them under 2007, so I selected 2007-2008 and "other term". I entered the course I got credit for and checked the AP box. Now, for the grade, my transcript says "S" but should I just put "G" since that's what AMCAS uses?
 
I'm just verifying that I'm entering AP credits correctly. My school puts them under 2007, so I selected 2007-2008 and "other term". I entered the course I got credit for and checked the AP box. Now, for the grade, my transcript says "S" but should I just put "G" since that's what AMCAS uses?

I believe so.
 
I'm just verifying that I'm entering AP credits correctly. My school puts them under 2007, so I selected 2007-2008 and "other term". I entered the course I got credit for and checked the AP box. Now, for the grade, my transcript says "S" but should I just put "G" since that's what AMCAS uses?

I believe so.

You can always use the AMCAS pdf posted somewhere above to confirm. Also, AMCAS changed some of my entries during verification. It didn't slow up the process and they didn't return it to me to re-do. Just be consistent in how you are entering them so AMCAS can follow what you are doing.
 
Awesome, I'll probably go with "G" then. Thanks. One more thing- I had a lot of credits from AP (26), so should that factor in when calculating my grade level (FR, SO, JR, SR)? I'm going to do 4 years of undergrad.
 
Awesome, I'll probably go with "G" then. Thanks. One more thing- I had a lot of credits from AP (26), so should that factor in when calculating my grade level (FR, SO, JR, SR)? I'm going to do 4 years of undergrad.
No, just put them under which year you were when you took the class (i.e., if you took a class your second year, it goes under sophomore, even if you had "senior standing" at the time -- I think this is what you're asking?).
 
No, just put them under which year you were when you took the class (i.e., if you took a class your second year, it goes under sophomore, even if you had "senior standing" at the time -- I think this is what you're asking?).

Yep, that's exactly what I was asking. Thanks!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So I went to paramedic school following receiving a BA degree. It was run through a private organization and accredited through a community college with the courses receiving 45 credit hours in total. I ended up paying the private institution directly because I was not a resident and wanted to save money, and therefore did not receive credit from the college and just received a course completion from the private institution and a NREMT-P license. I was never registered and the college has no record of me. I am wondering where I am supposed to put this information in the AMCAS application. I called and AMCAS said to put it under course work, but the institution I would list would not be an accredited post-secondary education, so that doesn't make sense.

I feel like this is going to be a hassle, any advice? I assume there is no way that this will calculate into my GPA since I didn't receive credit, although that would be sweet. I'm more wondering the logistics of this so I don't get delayed or returned. Any advice?
 
Awesome, I'll probably go with "G" then. Thanks. One more thing- I had a lot of credits from AP (26), so should that factor in when calculating my grade level (FR, SO, JR, SR)? I'm going to do 4 years of undergrad.

Page 35 helps with this question. All AP classes are given FR status. Then list all your normal college classes by the year you took them. I had 6 classes (4 college, 2 APs) listed as FR year due to AP classes. Don't readjust your grade level, if that makes sense.

EDIT: blob gots it covered above.
 
Thanks to everybody who has been answering questions (Met you seem to be hard at work 😀).

FYI: The second post of this thread is going to serve as a sort of laundry list of commonly asked questions and links to other helpful threads. If anyone wants to nominate a question/answer combo for that post feel free.

AP questions get my vote. I remember them being so annoyingly repetitive last year.

I asked this earlier but did not get an answer. Can your non-science LOR be from a professor you've worked with outside of class, but has not necessarily taught a course you were enrolled in? Thanks.

Generally, they will not count that, but contact each school for verification on that.

My school has a committee letter with letter packet, and they say that it bypasses most schools' specific requirements (i.e. non-science letter). Does anyone have experience if this is true or not? And also, I assume that schools will contact you to ask for supplemental letters rather than just rejecting your app if they want letters other than what's in the packet?

99% of the time, if you have a committee letter, they don't need anything else. The requirements are generally for those without committee letters.

How do we list courses that we are currently taking? I will probably get the grades for it in July, but I don't want to wait that long. Should I just not list it? Or should I list it without a grade. Amcas says that if I list it without a grade, my application could be considered incomplete, which I don't want.

There should be somewhere where you can check 'in progress'. If you leave the grade blank, you'll get a couple of red-flag warnings when going through your application, but they'll verify you without issue.

I'm just verifying that I'm entering AP credits correctly. My school puts them under 2007, so I selected 2007-2008 and "other term". I entered the course I got credit for and checked the AP box. Now, for the grade, my transcript says "S" but should I just put "G" since that's what AMCAS uses?

You should put them under the term you started college in. If that was Fall 2007, put them in Fall 2007. If you started in Summer 2007, put them there.
 
To answer the question that several people have asked regarding classes they're currently taking and/or plan to take....

At the bottom with all the checkboxes, there's a box that says "current/future"...near Honors, Incomplete, Withdraw, Pass/Fail, etc.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.