The Official Anti-Clinical Medicine Thread

Started by b&ierstiefel
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
bananaface said:
You could be all, "It's ok baby doll. I'm gonna be a doctor." 😛
How do you say "Try and relax. Now, this might hurt a little" in Korean?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
deschutes said:
Why are people so freaked out about toilet holes?
It's quite unnerving the first time you do it, if you're not used to it. The mechanics are just different.

deschutes said:
I bet there are few fat people in Korea. 'Tis self-eliminating.
Well, definitely fewer than in the US, and there are fewer people there who are really fat. But, I sure wouldn't say there were only a "few" overweight people there 🙂
 
True clinic note I saw today on a patient I was trying to find clinical info on (so I could properly gross in the specimen where the clinical history they provided me with was "mass")

We appreciated seeing you in clinic. We were glad to hear that the Cialis is mostly working well for you. We are also happy to hear your wife is pregnant.

:laugh: :laugh:

mostly.

It mostly works at night. Mostly. :laugh:
i.jpg
 
yaah, your post is very funny. it's so funny that i fell of my bed and onto the floor laughing so hard. you should be a comedian. i think you'd be funnier than chris rock.
 
geddy said:
It's quite unnerving the first time you do it, if you're not used to it. The mechanics are just different.
Indeed. Not many can read a paper while squatting a crap.

Gen Surg call status: 3 down, 3 to go!

Leaving for home now. Back in <24hours. Such is life.
Although I really can't complain - probably got more sleep last night than any other night this week.
 
Scenes from the Shift

I turn up in Emerg for a Gen Surg consult on a possible cholecystectomy. Honking big Emerg nurse taking care of patient in question. "Can I take a look at the chart?" I say. He shoves it over and gets up to leave.

But before he does that, he says loudly to the nurse in the next section, "Hey Tanya (or Carrie, or whatever her name is), whaddaya know, there's a resident who's shorter than you!"

5 months ago I might have let that go, but this time I said "I'm a clerk, not a resident, but thanks for the compliment."

5 months from now I will probably be more succinct and say something like "**** YOU."

The words of the anesthetist who praised me for having half a brain come to mind - "The worst part of medicine is dealing with the living".
 
During my subI months, I took an extra spoon from the cafeteria and put it in my white coat pocket (where the penlight should have been). I don't need a damn penlight to write PERRLA/EOMI in the stupid chart. Stupid penlight.

Anyway, back to the spoon...I would carry it around so that when some assbag decided to give me ****, I would calmly take out the spoon and shove it in his/her direction.

"Here, have this spoon."
"Oh, what's that for?"
"So you can eat my ASS!"

So the moral of the story is...from now on, you should carry a spoon in your white coat pocket. Perhaps more spoons so you can dish out multiple spoons simultaneously.
 
If you don't have the penlight you can always just write PERRA on the chart and no one will know any different. I used to just write PERRL because I never bothered to test the pupillary response to accomodation. They're not the boss of me!
 
AndyMilonakis said:
I don't need a damn penlight to write PERRLA/EOMI in the stupid chart.
I don't recall the last time I wrote PERRLA/EOMI. And I say that because I've forgotten what the second R and the I stand for!

Didn't check pupils on Uro or Plastics. Haven't so far (except EOMs grossly) on Gen Surg. I suspect I would've been laughed out of the hospital if I did.

AndyMilonakis said:
During my subI months, I took an extra spoon from the cafeteria and put it in my white coat pocket (where the penlight should have been).
The only thing I recall you taking from the cafeteria and putting in your white coat pocket is a couple extra sachets of ketchup 😛
 
deschutes said:
The only thing I recall you taking from the cafeteria and putting in your white coat pocket is a couple extra sachets of ketchup 😛
If there is one tidbit of wisdom I can share with everyone...DO NOT GET YOUR SURGILUBE CONFUSED WITH KETCHUP. SURGILUBE MAKE BURGERS TASTE LIKE...ASS.
 
deschutes said:
And presumably ketchup will make your DRE look like BRBPR.
yes but the guiaic test will still be negative. 🙂

WTF? Why do I remember this ****?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
deschutes said:
Isn't it "guaiac" though?

Whatever. Around here we say FOBT -ve. Problem solved.
Oops....guess I can't spell worth **** today.

Yeah we say FOBT in America too. 😉
 
A choice quote from my assigned readings for next week's quiz:

"Many patients have said that they were grateful to their physician for telling them they had a malignancy. Very few, however, reacted positively to being told that they were dying."

One more week of this crap...
 
geddy said:
A choice quote from my assigned readings for next week's quiz:

"Many patients have said that they were grateful to their physician for telling them they had a malignancy. Very few, however, reacted positively to being told that they were dying."

One more week of this crap...
WTF? You still take quizzes? Oh wait, you're still IN med school. Rrrrright. I feel your pain.
 
AndyMilonakis said:
WTF? You still take quizzes? Oh wait, you're still IN med school. Rrrrright. I feel your pain.
Yeah, and this is really med2 crap. They almost moved this requirement to med 2, but it's like a hallmark of the school or something. They get some recognition for having a 4th year requirement for a geriatrics/end of life/home care/developmental pedaitric disorders/child abuse/elder abuse/rheumatology/palliation class that they will never change it.
 
geddy said:
Yeah, and this is really med2 crap. They almost moved this requirement to med 2, but it's like a hallmark of the school or something. They get some recognition for having a 4th year requirement for a geriatrics/end of life/home care/developmental pedaitric disorders/child abuse/elder abuse/rheumatology/palliation class that they will never change it.

But you are learning extremely useful things, like that many people don't like to be told they are dying!!

Boy I certainly am not looking forward to this doo-doo. I should avoid this thread until I go back to clinics so it doesn't frighten me too much. :scared:
 
Regarding wound care:

"To control odors, place a pan of kitty litter or activated charcoal under the patient's bed, provide adequate room ventillation, place an open cup of vinegar in the room, or burn a candle."

Hey, this is good stuff - could help out in the gross room, too!
 
geddy said:
"Many patients have said that they were grateful to their physician for telling them they had a malignancy. Very few, however, reacted positively to being told that they were dying."
Another reason Family Med = Surgery >>>>>> IM for me. IMers would totally fail to see the quote as nonsense. Heck, they probably generated that in all seriousness.
 
geddy said:
Yeah, and this is really med2 crap. They almost moved this requirement to med 2, but it's like a hallmark of the school or something. They get some recognition for having a 4th year requirement for a geriatrics/end of life/home care/developmental pedaitric disorders/child abuse/elder abuse/rheumatology/palliation class that they will never change it.

We had those scattered throughout 3rd year, between our rotations. They were kind of annoying. We had alternative medicines, pain issues, diversity, geriatric, HMO issues, and a couple of others. The HMO one was actually pretty interesting - they brought in a capitalist HMO advocate and a national health insurance socialist apologist and they debated the issues. The socialist was much more condescending so the other guy won the argument in my book.
 
yaah said:
We had those scattered throughout 3rd year, between our rotations. They were kind of annoying. We had alternative medicines, pain issues, diversity, geriatric, HMO issues, and a couple of others. The HMO one was actually pretty interesting - they brought in a capitalist HMO advocate and a national health insurance socialist apologist and they debated the issues. The socialist was much more condescending so the other guy won the argument in my book.
Socialists do tend to be that way. You should have said "Oh, I agree with you, Marge... in theory. In theory communism works... in theory."
 
When you fart, you should be honorable, fess up to it, take the heat for it like a man, and most importantly please light a match.
 
AndyMilonakis said:
When you fart, you should be honorable, fess up to it, take the heat for it like a man, and most importantly please light a match.
I prefer to put kitty litter under the bed or light a candle. A kitty-litter scented candle.
 
geddy said:
I prefer to put kitty litter under the bed or light a candle. A kitty-litter scented candle.
Every time you fart and don't light a match, God kills a kitten.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
AndyMilonakis said:
Every time you fart and don't light a match, God kills a kitten.
I find your belief system fascinating. (reference, anyone?)
 
geddy said:
I find your belief system fascinating. (reference, anyone?)
Sorry dude, you got me there. Perhaps someone can throw Andy a life-line.

P.S. It is comforting to know that you find my belief system fascinating.
 
AndyMilonakis said:
Sorry dude, you got me there. Perhaps someone can throw Andy a life-line.

P.S. It is comforting to know that you find my belief system fascinating.
OK:
FRANK: And at the Festivus dinner, you gather your family around, and you tell them all the ways they have disappointed you over the past year.

KRAMER: Is there a tree?

FRANK: No. Instead, there's a pole. It requires no decoration. I find tinsel distracting.

KRAMER: Frank, this new holiday of yours is scratching me right where I itch.
 
AndyMilonakis said:
So Arizona almost pulled off a win against Illinois tonight.

Correction. They DID pull off the win. But then they gave it away. 😱

My friend and I were in full agreement on the fact that the Arizona Cheerleaders >>>> The Illinois Cheerleaders.
 
yaah said:
Correction. They DID pull off the win. But then they gave it away. 😱

My friend and I were in full agreement on the fact that the Arizona Cheerleaders >>>> The Illinois Cheerleaders.
Absolutely! I wonder if they have a website like the USC cheerleaders do. Hmm...yes this is how I will spend the next 2 minutes. Brilliant!
 
AndyMilonakis said:
Absolutely! I wonder if they have a website like the USC cheerleaders do. Hmm...yes this is how I will spend the next 2 minutes. Brilliant!

Just go to the philadephia eagles cheerleaders website and forget the college girls!
 
yaah said:
Just go to the philadephia eagles cheerleaders website and forget the college girls!
Dallas Cowboys cheerleaders...now that's more like it.
 
@#$%&*!!

As a Gen Surg CC I get to camp on the couch in the residents' lounge in the main hospital, since the assigned call room is like a 10-minute walk away and out of the question.

The IM clerks are having a pizza party on my bed!!! 😡 It's 9:30pm. I want to go to sleep! 😡 😡 😡
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
deschutes said:
@#$%&*!!

As a Gen Surg CC I get to camp on the couch in the residents' lounge in the main hospital, since the assigned call room is like a 10-minute walk away and out of the question.

The IM clerks are having a pizza party on my bed!!! 😡 It's 9:30pm. I want to go to sleep! 😡 😡 😡

Buck up champ!
 
deschutes said:
Another earthquake in Sumatra....


What the hell is wrong with the geography around there.....is it the end of the world as we know it???????