The Official April 2016 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drbeat14

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
April Fool's you're taking the MCAT! Worst prank ever?! No really, as a serial delayer, I absolutely must take this thing on this day before application submissions this upcoming cycle in 2016. So I thought I would go ahead and start the official thread. Never to early to start an official support/study group.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
Lol

@ericd8 that sounds like a good recipe for a great score to me!

@lmb93 How are you handling the stress of the waiting game? Are you thinking you may have to take the MCAT again in April?

@ZombieDante I know it totally cracks me up that it's on April Fools. I Hope the MCAT doesn't prank us!

Members don't see this ad :)
Looks like I'm not the only one thinking about the April a few months ahead of time. Is anyone starting to study from now ?

Another April 1st test taker here! I was going to take it in January but I'm going to be away then so decided April is safer.

I've started studying pretty hard since I was planning on January but I'll probably continue my studying schedule. @ericd8 I'm a BME also (now senior)!

You have a schedule made up? I'm going to start studying November 1st and I'm not sure how to approach it since most plans on here are structured for 2-3 months.

Im doing essentially two study review sessions, Right now I am doing heavy content review with TPR set and and then the respective Practice Tests, In between will be using the AAMC Practice questions and the new Q bank being released next month. Also in Jan until april will be doing 1 passage a day from EK 1001 Verbal passages to help me with verbal. And after that will use the 10 week schedule of the EK books. I planned it out so that I have 2-3 Weeks of doing Practice tests from EK/AAMC until Test day.

I couldn't follow some of the schedules posted here since I work full time and have other obligations so I made this 5-6 month plan. Started this month. So I guess I am studying twice, was originally going to take Jan test but it got booked fast so I adjusted my schedule. Let me know what you think.

Well, I cancelled my September date because I felt that I could do better-let's hope this isn't just some kind of ego problem:rolleyes:. I chose April so that I don't have to panic through the holidays.

My biggest problem appears to be timing, particularly with P/C. So my plan is to embrace P/C and do a lot of practice tests throughout the process-about one every two weeks.

I'm starting with the 4 TPR tests that come with the complete TPR book that I checked out from my library. My library also has a free practice test in their online education system. I took the current AAMC Practice Exam and I will review it, but I will at some point in the new year, purchase and take the new AAMC Practice test coming out next month.

@GastroMED Do you know if the new QBank will be never seen before questions or recycled old questions? If they are new, I will likely divide that up into half-length tests as I did with the previous AAMC subject tests that they currently have (those are all from old MCAT exams by the way, and are good review practice, but IMHO lack the detail and Biochem that the new test requires). After that, I will likely purchase a few EK exams so I can compare scoring and problems with @GastroMED lol

@ericd8 has taken this thing before and has a BME so I plan to spam him with Biochem questions, lol. :shifty:

Checking in! Let's do this! Let's make an April fool of the AAMC and crush this test!

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Just got my spot. Anyone wanna form Skype study group?

I don't know if I'd be able to video chat, and some ppl may be reluctant for safety reasons. I'm still using the library computers and my phone for Internet because my computer is RIP. But I know that they have audio and regular chat because I have used it for book club. Wanna check it out and let us know? I'll try to find the program the book club was using and send it to you if I find it. :)

I do think some sort of study group is a fantastic idea and this is a good time to start it.

I did a skype thing for the last mcat and that didn't work out so I'm highly reluctant to working with others because the test is very individualized to your own strengths and weaknesses. It takes a lot of organization and time which most of us frankly don't have for something like that to be productive.

I did a skype thing for the last mcat and that didn't work out so I'm highly reluctant to working with others because the test is very individualized to your own strengths and weaknesses. It takes a lot of organization and time which most of us frankly don't have for something like that to be productive.

It makes sense it would be hard to meet consistently. Busy times!

Hey everyone!! Just wanted to start this thread so we can all motivate each other for the MCAT!

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks @PenguinPal ! Have you started studying yet? What resources are you using? I'm starting to get nervous about the beast already and am still debating whether or not a TPR course would be worth it!!

Hello my fellow April MCAT...ians? I just took the MCAT on 9/23 and just got my scores back. 504..... not horrible, but not really what I wanted (509 was my goal). Probably spent too much time reviewing and not nearly enough doing practice (only actually did 4 FL's). Fatigue was a big factor, and getting in those days that you just grind through the FL was lacking in my study plan. How do you guys suggest a re taker prepare for the exam? All feed back is appreciated!

Last edited:
Hey! I've been trying to set up a study schedule and stick to it during winter break. I have the Kaplan 7 book set (July 2015) version and also the Examkrackers 2015 set. I'm planning to purchase the AAMC tests to use. I heard they are releasing a second full length exam sometime in Nov. @gribear me too! I dreamt about the MCAT last night! LOL.
@HFlash how long did you allocate studying for the MCAT? I would definitely add more FLs to your prep this time around, I've reading a lot of everyones schedules and they incorporate about 1 FL each wk after content review up to the wk before their test date. I'm going to aim for ~20wks. total prep time and probably add FLs around the 10th wk? Passages and discrete after content review as well.

How many practice tests should I be doing per week? and is it ok to do all the practice tests even though I haven't gone through the material yet?

How many practice tests should I be doing per week? and is it ok to do all the practice tests even though I haven't gone through the material yet?

I am taking one every weekend starting Nov. 1st Hoping to improve my score by at least 20 points.
I think its okay. because essentially you know the basic information on the MCAT now we have to learn how to take the exam itself.

My full length practice exams list for now till April
AAMC #1 $25

The Princeton Review Free w/ book purchase
TPR Demo
TPR 1
TPR 2
TPR 3

Kaplan Full Length Free w/ bookset purchase
Kaplan 1
Kaplan 2
Kaplan 3

NextStep Exams $150
NS ½ diagnostic exam Free
NS 1
NS 2
NS 3
NS 4
NS 5

Examkrackers Exams $100
EK Test 3
EK Test 4

There is already a earlier April 2016 thread . Try to keep just one so u guys can all help each other

@Chelsea FC Link to older thread?
@PenguinPal It's hard to say exactly. My study schedule fluctuated due to work over the course of 6 months or so. Some weeks I worked 2 days a week, others the full 7. I primarily used Mcatquestion.com online videos. They have over 10 hours of review video (much more concise), 1600 questions, and about 100 or so passages. Along with 4 FL including the AAMC ones as well as their practice Q's. Fatigue was a big issue for the exam for me, and probably was most noted on my CARS (lowest score with 125, but consistently performed better on that section outside of FL practice). Probably my 2 biggest weaknesses was not setting up a schedule, in order to set weekly goals to motivate me to carry on (I ended up over studying in the beginning, and sort of fizzing out towards the end) as well as not simulating test environment conditions enough. I should gotten used to w.e hour I had to wake up to get to my test, as well as developed the mental endurance to get through the exam (once you get past CARS, the second half isn't near as bad). Any luck on finding a good schedule? The only ones I could find on this site are either 3 month ones, or 9 months ones (if you are starting now, you want a 6 month plan).

Joining in on this group!

I am April 1st!
I took the old MCAT back in January with one of the last administrations. I got a 27, planned on applying this cycle but ultimately decided on a gap year.
Excited to rock this new one!

@Chelsea FC Link to older thread?
@PenguinPal It's hard to say exactly. My study schedule fluctuated due to work over the course of 6 months or so. Some weeks I worked 2 days a week, others the full 7. I primarily used Mcatquestion.com online videos. They have over 10 hours of review video (much more concise), 1600 questions, and about 100 or so passages. Along with 4 FL including the AAMC ones as well as their practice Q's. Fatigue was a big issue for the exam for me, and probably was most noted on my CARS (lowest score with 125, but consistently performed better on that section outside of FL practice). Probably my 2 biggest weaknesses was not setting up a schedule, in order to set weekly goals to motivate me to carry on (I ended up over studying in the beginning, and sort of fizzing out towards the end) as well as not simulating test environment conditions enough. I should gotten used to w.e hour I had to wake up to get to my test, as well as developed the mental endurance to get through the exam (once you get past CARS, the second half isn't near as bad). Any luck on finding a good schedule? The only ones I could find on this site are either 3 month ones, or 9 months ones (if you are starting now, you want a 6 month plan).
I'm going to do a 4-month plan since I plan to start after this semester ends. I'm sort of making my own and finding organization from study schedules posted on SDN. From what I have read alternating subjects is best to retain the material and keeping interest, so I plan to do that. I registered my Kaplan books last night and I did not get the 3 FLs like others have stated, I am going to contact Kaplan for help on that.

Do any of you have suggestions on practice passages I can get? The ones that come with my EK and Kaplan set will not be enough. I'm planning on getting one TPR book so I can also get the free FL from them.

4 months is more than enough time, especially if you can just dedicate yourself to it. The study schedules stickied should be good for you then! Only suggestion I can make is to find other supplemental material for Psyche. I have heard that they aren't the best as far as Psyche is concerned. If anything, grab TPR psyche book.

I preordered the new TPR Psy book. Hoping its worth getting than the current edition.
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...m-sn2ed-mcatjelly-ek-tbr-tprh-kaplan.1127723/
have you looked at this schedule? When do you plan starting your studies?

As I'm still finishing up my pre-reqs with Bio and Biochem this semester, I plan to start studying in January. Likely mid-January after returning from a trip overseas to study tuberculosis and global health!!!

I have looked at that schedule, as well as ones by SN2ed, Berkeley Review, and MCAT Jelly's. I can't decide which one to use -- or if I want to try to craft my own based on theirs..I'm also not sure which books to get. It seems like both EK and BR are good, but very different. Would it be stupid to get both complete sets?

Hey everyone! I hope to take April 23rd. Def re-taker here. I have to save a little first before registering, though. Hopefully seats won't fill up in my area before I can save that $300. whew! I will probably peruse this thread often to see where everyone is at with studying...any and all motivation helps. Best of luck to everyone!

As I'm still finishing up my pre-reqs with Bio and Biochem this semester, I plan to start studying in January. Likely mid-January after returning from a trip overseas to study tuberculosis and global health!!!

I have looked at that schedule, as well as ones by SN2ed, Berkeley Review, and MCAT Jelly's. I can't decide which one to use -- or if I want to try to craft my own based on theirs..I'm also not sure which books to get. It seems like both EK and BR are good, but very different. Would it be stupid to get both complete sets?

That trip of yours sounds amazing! How did you get into that? I don't think it is stupid. I have two full sets I am planning to use myself. And I have seen others using one set as primary and the second set as reinforcement. Also some publishers miss some concepts so your second set could fill in those concepts.

@tokenOPM Welcome to the April MCATers Thread :)

I started studying at the end of September, but that's just so I can do less per day over a longer period of time rather than more per day over say 4 months. I'm currently using Kaplan, and I just got TPR Psych/Soc in the mail yesterday. I think I'm going to order the TBR books when the new ones come out just for the practice passages. Also I may use those book as what material I look back at when I start reviewing and realize I've missed a concept. Oh and I'm testing April 23rd.

I started studying at the end of September, but that's just so I can do less per day over a longer period of time rather than more per day over say 4 months. I'm currently using Kaplan, and I just got TPR Psych/Soc in the mail yesterday. I think I'm going to order the TBR books when the new ones come out just for the practice passages. Also I may use those book as what material I look back at when I start reviewing and realize I've missed a concept. Oh and I'm testing April 23rd.

When are new TBR books coming out? I was going to buy them in the next few weeks, but if a new version is going to be released..maybe I'll hold off!

@PenguinPal Everything I've read has said TBR is excellent to use for practice passages, but they cover the content in a very in depth way -- far more than you need for the MCAT. I'm mostly planning to use TBR for the passages, as everyone says they're by far the best. I plan to do a mix of TPR and EK for my content review. Still can't decide if I should spend the money on the TPR course!

I think I will purchase the TBR Bio I and II..it has been updated for the new MCAT already per their website. Shipping is so expensive! I have already spent about $700 on materials/registration already :cryi: and I am planning to purchase AAMC materials as well..hope it all pays off in the end!

I have heard of a few people with great scores that have taken the TPR course. But most seem to go with self study.

@PenguinPal Everything I've read has said TBR is excellent to use for practice passages, but they cover the content in a very in depth way -- far more than you need for the MCAT. I'm mostly planning to use TBR for the passages, as everyone says they're by far the best. I plan to do a mix of TPR and EK for my content review. Still can't decide if I should spend the money on the TPR course!

So would we have to buy the TBR books for the passages, or do they sell a compiled collection of passages? Sorry this is new to me.

In for April 23rd. I'll probably start content review within the next week or so.

So would we have to buy the TBR books for the passages, or do they sell a compiled collection of passages? Sorry this is new to me.

I have the older versions. Their books are divided into chapters with passages at the end. Content is very in depth, as are the passages. From my experience, I think TBR is the best overall value.

I think most people that I've seen post about courses say that they didn't get anything out of it that they couldn't have done self-studying. I think the test prep companies still don't know enough about the new exam to be offering a course that will be that all that helpful. I think most of what you do in the course is content review, which you can easily do on your own if you can stick to your schedule.

I'm still debating what books to buy. It looks like TBR is highly recommended but I have a feeling I would get too focused on the details.

@PenguinPal
I'm looking to start studying by the next two weeks. I don't want to neglect my application, still need to work on my PS and getting around to doing my committee review, getting my LOR, etc. If you guys prefer comprehensive videos as opposed to reading textbooks, you guys could try mcatquestion.com. It's a little expensive (like one grand) but you get access to hours upon hours of videos, and get replies to questions within a day or so via email. Definitely recommend this over any 2 grand on site class.

Also, if you are going to start studying asap, make sure not to burn out. I started studying around 6 months prior to my 1st attempt, and definitely over did myself at one point. You want to walk into test day feeling fresh, and ready to kill it, not like you just want to get over the dam thing.

Are some of those practice exams held in higher regard than others? I'm on full content review mode until January, then I switch to EK+FL's. That's a nice comprehensive list you have there, but it would be nice to trim it down for my purposes next semester
EK 3 and 4 are most similar to the real thing so i have heard

No worries! I am fairly new to SDN. The passages are within the content review books...its hard to find used on Amazon, Ebay, or Craigslist. Still debating if I want to get a Physics set of their books as well for passages..

Upon combing through these forums, the big mobile app I keep reading are "anki cards." Apparently, memoranda is really good for Step 1 and 2, but I mean, that doesn't matter. For the low price they set at it, it has alot of content but it might... be too much (they have alot of content not covered on the MCAT, no such thing for Step1/2). Here is a seemingly honest review on reddit I found:

https://www.reddit.com/r/premed/comments/2s7724/has_anyone_used_memorang_for_2015_mcat_studying/

Edit: So apparently, the best physical flashcards are these which you can get used for like $5.
http://www.amazon.com/product-revie...fferlistingpage_text?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

Last edited: