The Official April 2016 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drbeat14

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
April Fool's you're taking the MCAT! Worst prank ever?! No really, as a serial delayer, I absolutely must take this thing on this day before application submissions this upcoming cycle in 2016. So I thought I would go ahead and start the official thread. Never to early to start an official support/study group.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
Upon combing through these forums, the big mobile app I keep reading are "anki cards." Apparently, memoranda is really good for Step 1 and 2, but I mean, that doesn't matter. For the low price they set at it, it has alot of content but it might... be too much (they have alot of content not covered on the MCAT, no such thing for Step1/2). Here is a seemingly honest review on reddit I found:

https://www.reddit.com/r/premed/comments/2s7724/has_anyone_used_memorang_for_2015_mcat_studying/

Edit: So apparently, the best physical flashcards are these which you can get used for like $5.
http://www.amazon.com/product-revie...fferlistingpage_text?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

Oh I actually already have the Barron set. I've only briefly looked at the OChem portion so far.

April 23 here. I will start content review next week. currently taking Biochem and physics II

Reactions: 1 users
Upon combing through these forums, the big mobile app I keep reading are "anki cards." Apparently, memoranda is really good for Step 1 and 2, but I mean, that doesn't matter. For the low price they set at it, it has alot of content but it might... be too much (they have alot of content not covered on the MCAT, no such thing for Step1/2). Here is a seemingly honest review on reddit I found:

I am personally using anki to make flashcards. It's a pain in the butt but I think it'll be worth it in the ned

Members don't see this ad :)
has anyone tried the memoranda app or heard any use it? Lifetime subscription for their MCAT set is $29, might get it for on-the-go review.

I have it. Overall, I like it. Although sometimes I'll receive the same card like 5-6 times in a row... maybe that's part of their spacing algorithm, but I find it to be kind of annoying at times. There are a lot of cards (i.e. the Biology folder has 20 sets of cards within it, ranging from 25 cards to 189 cards per set).

I think I'm going make my own Anki cards while going through content review, and depending on how that goes, supplement with the Memorang App.

April 23rd here. Took the MCAT few years ago, 30 with very low VR.
I'm doing my post-bacc now and just started content review a couple of weeks ago. Does anyone know what material is good for extra passages and questions practicing? I'm using EK to review now. And I desperately need some extra verbal/CARS practice.

Should I buy 2013 TBR set slightly marked or purchase the new set from the actual company? It'll be half the price! I can't decide.

@SymphonyNo9 I think either TPR workbooks (hard to find, since they are only available to those who take their courses) or TBR.

I am getting myself together to take it in April, one of the later test dates. I am making out a schedule now to start studying. I have some graduate biology education( two masters in different areas in biology) so I am hoping that will help me with some content. I am interested in not only learning but also making sure i get test taking tips to as well.
I need to register asap... i want a decent spot and not have to travel for it :)...

WHat is everyone doing for test prep? Modified Schedule? or just one chapter per day plus review questions.

It's 2:30 in the morning, I should be either studying or sleeping and yet instead I am looking through the official April 2002 and 2004 MCAT threads, going through the various peoples profiles to see if anyone is still active, or if they got into a school or not. Most of them are probably physicians now who have been practicing for a number of years.

Reactions: 1 user
@wanna be MD I would space them out so that you have some you are doing to help tweak study habits, and some still available when you finish content review

@Dr.Princess Those sound like a good list for practice to me

@monkeynuts I agree, it doesn't hurt to create one. If we use it great! If not, no worries. If we only use it once even, then at least it was set up ahead of time rather than dealing with any tech issues later.

PS- This thread has the best screen names lol

Members don't see this ad :)
I thought it was only for April 1st test takers, so I made a general April 2016 for everyone else. :) Sorry?

@Thoroughbred_Med you are retaking the MCAT April 1st? You don't feel confident with your 27?

Lol. I made the April 1st just because I thought it was hilarious to be taking this thing on April Fools. Let me see if SDN as a way to meld our threads!

@drbeat14
Great! I'll make a google hangout for those who are interested. PM me your gmail and I'll add you. This also goes for anyone else who's interested in being added to the group.

The more people we can add to the group the better.

@PenguinPal I've heard TBR is good too. I'll try to find TPR workbooks. Thank you for the info.
Craigslist! I found a 2015 TPR set with workbooks in a bordering state. I'm hoping my friend was able to get it for me. Ebay seller was selling it for $219 so expensive.. I purchased a verbal workbook on amazon for 20$ but it is the older one. I might sell it if my friend did help me purchase the 2015 set.

I'm thinking I dont need to purchase TBR set now? Everyone in the 509+ thread mentions TPR more than TBR as their study material/practice..

I'm trying to get SDN to combine this thread and the other April thread so nobody's messages will be lost-do you guys want to go ahead and switch over there?

I think it has @PenguinPal as the first poster-you should see it.:penguin:

And yes I will pm you, @monkeynuts despite your name o_O lol Wanna go ahead and copy your message over there in case SDN can't combine these?

Does anybody know someone who would want to sell their TBR MCAT 2015 books? I desperately would like to buy the set!
Any help would be appreciated!

Last edited:
Please stop spamming this in every thread...

1. this is a thread for people who are still preparing for the MCAT, the likelihood of someone selling a brand new set of TBR is very, very low.
2. you don't need TBR to do well on the MCAT. plenty of people have done it with TPR, EK, w/e else.
3. if you really "need" TBR, then pony up the $ and buy it directly from them. SDN is non-profit, but it is not a charity in the sense that someone's going to buy a brand new set of TBR and then ship to Canada immediately for a loss...
Does anybody know someone who would want to sell their TBR MCAT 2015 books? I desperately would like to buy the set since the shipping cost to Canada is very high!

Reactions: 2 users
Please stop spamming this in every thread...

1. this is a thread for people who are still preparing for the MCAT, the likelihood of someone selling a brand new set of TBR is very, very low.
2. you don't need TBR to do well on the MCAT. plenty of people have done it with TPR, EK, w/e else.
3. if you really "need" TBR, then pony up the $ and buy it directly from them. SDN is non-profit, but it is not a charity in the sense that someone's going to buy a brand new set of TBR and then ship to Canada immediately for a loss...

Sorry, I agree with you , but I didn't mean it that way and thought I would seek out for help! What kind of doctor u want to be with this attitude!

Does anybody know someone who would want to sell their TBR MCAT 2015 books? I desperately would like to buy the set!
The books are still being updated so I doubt you'll find any 2015 versions if so it would be rare. Buy from TBR company when all books are updated or buy the old. Craigslist, SDN Sale threads, Ebay, or Amazon.

Hey everyone! I'm making a google hangout (or skype) for those who are interested in making a online study group. We're hoping to get as many people as we can, so that we will always have at least 2 people logged on during the day. If you are interested, PM me your gmail and I'll add you.

@PenguinPal
We could be studying with the cameras of our laptops/tablets on (If we use google hangouts, then those of us who wanted to stay anonymous could use the "masks" to hide our faces) to make sure no one was slacking off.

Is this your actual email and not a throwaway? If so, you might want to think about taking it down ;)

@PenguinPal
We could be studying with the cameras of our laptops/tablets on (If we use google hangouts, then those of us who wanted to stay anonymous could use the "masks" to hide our faces) to make sure no one was slacking off.
'that sounds like a good plan. The problem is that everyone lives in different places, different time zone, and different schedules. But, Im down if anyone is going to do that.

Hi guyssss. I plan on taking it April 23rd but I'm not going to start studying until like the beginning of January...Still deciding between EK and Kaplan 2015 full sets (with TPR psych/soc) but I think I'm leaning towards Kaplan. Also how does studying even work for the mcat cause I have no idea and I'm not doing one of those fancy schedules lol

@PenguinPal
Got your google hangouts email, will have to try it out at library because just have the phone at home right now.

For the study group thing, were you guys thinking of doing a weekly subject or topic? Or just logging in for a few hours and sharing questions, or using a free source for weekly practice problems?

Hey you know, @PenguinPal might be able to add a poll to help @monkeynuts with that?

Last edited:
@drbeat14 Am I the only one that can create it? I don't know how to make one haha. How do I make it?

Do you sleep late or are you in a different timezone than me lol.

Looks like just thread creator can make poll on here? Can just wait for responses on here though as well, should be ok for now!

I'm up before you! Last post was at 7:15am here and now 6:18pm here. ET in Mass! :) :) :)

I'm in Nevada. It showed your post around 4am lol.
I think the poll can only be created when the thread was made. I tried looking everywhere for it.

I'm taking mine April 23! I'm gonna start studying in December after finals though...

I'm planing on doing an S2ned style approach 100 days out from the exam. Before that, do you think I should practice on more practice tests/question packs? or use my extra days for extra content review.

I'm taking mine April 23! I'm gonna start studying in December after finals though...

I'm planing on doing an S2ned style approach 100 days out from the exam. Before that, do you think I should practice on more practice tests/question packs? or use my extra days for extra content review.
I would do more practice questions and full lengths. Review content as you need in between.

I'm in Nevada. It showed your post around 4am lol.
I think the poll can only be created when the thread was made. I tried looking everywhere for it.
Oh that is so funny, how's the weather out there :)

I will look again. It's not really necessary, everyone can just comment here about how they would like to use the study group thing to help you out. I'll write more later! It's 7am, hope you are enjoying your sleep still, west coaster, lol.

Give me the lowdown on the online study group! Sometimes its cool just to keep communication with like-minded people. We can exchange tips and such along the journey.

@0731 and everyone:

Send a gmail email address you are comfortable with in a pm to @monkeynuts and they will send you an invite in Google chats.

Has anyone thought of starting studying with the AAMC outlines for each section? I'm considering this is a good starting point, but curious if anyone has tried this or any suggestions/ideas how to use the outlines.