***The Official ASDOH Class of 2019 Interview/Acceptance Thread***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,
Congrats to those who have received an interview.
I was wondering for the people who have done the interview what did you think of it? how did it go?
Definitely higher stress than other schools I've interviewed at.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
How long does it take to receive the code (via email) after the secondary app is submitted??

Hello,
Congrats to those who have received an interview.
I was wondering for the people who have done the interview what did you think of it? how did it go?
I felt that it was lower stress than my other interviews- I was the most relaxed in this one, and I felt like they tried to get to know me aside from grades and scores. Really liked the faculty there. It is a long day though.

Members don't see this ad :)
I felt that it was lower stress than my other interviews- I was the most relaxed in this one, and I felt like they tried to get to know me aside from grades and scores. Really liked the faculty there. It is a long day though.
I guess it depends on who you get for your panel interview. Some of the first and second year students said they went through stressful interviews at ASDOH as well.

I was wondering if you have any feedback on the MMI part of the interview? I have no clue what that part is going to be like.

Anyone receive an interview invite email after Sept 20? I'm just wondering if its coming in batches or not.

I just received a rejection letter in the mail. That was quick.
3.7 GPA
20 AA 21 PAT

I just received an interview from here yesterday. Interviewing on Oct 28.

Can
I just received a rejection letter in the mail. That was quick.
3.7 GPA
20 AA 21 PAT
Could you give us a little bit more info regarding your stats? I wonder why you would get rejected with those scores. You're right at the mean stats for last years entering class.

Can

Could you give us a little bit more info regarding your stats? I wonder why you would get rejected with those scores. You're right at the mean stats for last years entering class.
Maybe not enough volunteer hours. They are big on community service

Members don't see this ad :)
Can

Those are basically my stats. I had more than enough community service and clinical hours. I volunteered for numerous organizations and planned fundraisers that raised $70K plus each. Not really sure what happened. I'm from the east coast.

I'm not sure if this has been answered, but does anybody know what the manual dexterity portion of the interview is all about?

I'm not sure if this has been answered, but does anybody know what the manual dexterity portion of the interview is all about?
I think they replaced it with the MMIs

my flight to Arizona is in an hour!!! Can't wait to see some of you beautiful people tomorrow!!!

Reactions: 1 users
I hear that ASDOH's interview process has changed dramatically. They no longer have the manual dexterity exercise or the group presentation. Instead, there are multiple mini interviews (MMI) and some of them are case/scenario based. Someone at my Roseman interview was saying ASDOH was his most stressful interview yet...there are "actors" that will give you really interesting scenarios/questions.

Interviewed here last year and it was really chill....guess they're increasing the intensity! >.< Still hoping for another interview from ASDOH

A friend of mine just interviewed there -- he said it was his most intense interview yet (and he's had maybe 5 already). They had the actors/scenario things, they asked a fair number of political questions, apparently each room had a little camera taping each interview . . . he said he made the mistake of asking whether they'd get experience with any advanced clinical procedures like 3rds extractions, etc. Turns out the guy he asked was an oral surgeon who was like "why would a general dentist need to learn that? Don't you think there are ethical issues there?"

Anyway, he got his rejection the next day.

Last edited by a moderator:
My interview experience was completely different. I didn't find it that intense at all. I guess it just depends on who is interviewing you. I acutally thought it was pretty fun doing the MMIs. :p

I agree. I enjoyed the MMI. If you have been in a dental setting or have had to work with people in any healthcare capacity; it should come pretty easy. I think they're a great idea. This cycle was my second time interviewing with them so I found it a lot less stressful.

i just had my interview there! I LOVE THE SCHOOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i just had my interview there! I LOVE THE SCHOOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can you give some examples of questions they asked? I'm hearing most stressful interview to enjoyable. This will be my very first interview for dental school, and I couldn't be more nervous.

Can you give some examples of questions they asked? I'm hearing most stressful interview to enjoyable. This will be my very first interview for dental school, and I couldn't be more nervous.

it was my first interview as well!!! and to be totally honest, it wasn't stressful at ALL! it just depends on how comfortable you are with talking about anything on your application.. if some of the stuff you wrote weren't exactly as you did them, then you will get stressed. The interview part of the whole thing was actually awesome! the professors are SUPER cool, like really nice and were smiling all the time.. the questions were about specific things I wrote (not asking me to explain, but more to elaborate and add to a couple things).. then there was an MMI section (multiple mini interview) where you had to face 3 different scenarios and had to react accordingly.. it wasn't bad either (i kind of did similar things for RA training this summer, it was closed behind-closed-doors)

I wouldn't worry about tho :) although i can't compare it to other schools, a lot of students who had other interviews said they were a breeze next to this one, but I didn't feel like it was that bad

good luck tho! you got this!!!

I still haven't heard from the school yet... sadly!!!

We signed a confidentiality agreement to not discuss specifics so I can't give you any of the questions asked but all I can say is that if you are a good match for the school there is a higher chance that you might enjoy it. Of course those who found it stressful might have gotten tougher interviewers or they did a lot better than they think they did (sometimes interviewers are toughest on people they really like and want to grill and find out more about). Also some people just may not be as comfortable with the MMI format. Don't worry. They were my first interview too and I'm sure i made some rookie mistakes. Just relax and let them get to know the real you and you will do great! :)

I still haven't heard from the school yet... sadly!!!
It's still pretty early as we're barely into October, so I'm sure you will hear back. They have sent out rejections already and some of those have gone to really wonderful candidates (they want a very specific kind of student). So if you haven't received one of those, just hang tight. ;)

It's still pretty early as we're barely into October, so I'm sure you will hear back. They have sent out rejections already and some of those have gone to really wonderful candidates (they want a very specific kind of student). So if you haven't received one of those, just hang tight. ;)

Ah thank you! I got the email that my application is completed on the 17th of September, so hopefully I hear good news soon!

just got the email that I am still being considered :)

I just had an interview on Tuesday and received an email today stating that "The selection committee has carefully reviewed your application and the results of your interview. Unfortunately, we are unable to offer you a place in our class at this time."

Is this an outright reject? I am so heartbroken and sad. Arizona is my home and I have put so much heart and hard work into this process. This is my third time applying and told myself if I can't get in, then I should reevaluate. I cried a little, sucked it up, and went for a run. Came back to the same feeling :( I never give up but when do I get my calling? Will I ever?

Congratulations and good luck to those who are being considered. I wish nothing but the best for you!! I hope if you all do get accepted to ASDOH that you do work for a community health center because that was my goal in getting in. Helping the underserved has been my life and going somewhere else where they don't focus on it as much, is not my preference.

God bless

Reactions: 4 users
I just had an interview on Tuesday and received an email today stating that "The selection committee has carefully reviewed your application and the results of your interview. Unfortunately, we are unable to offer you a place in our class at this time."

Is this an outright reject? I am so heartbroken and sad. Arizona is my home and I have put so much heart and hard work into this process. This is my third time applying and told myself if I can't get in, then I should reevaluate. I cried a little, sucked it up, and went for a run. Came back to the same feeling :( I never give up but when do I get my calling? Will I ever?

Congratulations and good luck to those who are being considered. I wish nothing but the best for you!! I hope if you all do get accepted to ASDOH that you do work for a community health center because that was my goal in getting in. Helping the underserved has been my life and going somewhere else where they don't focus on it as much, is not my preference.

God bless

Sorry to hear that. Have you tried contacting them to see what you could improve on? How did you feel the interview went?

God bless
I'm so sorry this one didn't go your way. You sound like an awesome person and any school will be lucky to have you and your kindness and perseverance. Sometimes we think we know where we're meant to be, but our place of destiny only becomes clear down the road. My wish for you is that you end up where you will be happy and healthy, wherever that may be. Where else have you applied?

Sorry to hear that. Have you tried contacting them to see what you could improve on? How did you feel the interview went?

Yea me too. I have not contacted them because in the email it states "the selection committee does not release specific information regarding non-acceptance." But maybe they can provide a general idea, so I plan to contact them soon.

I thought the interview went well. I am always critical of myself and I honestly gave myself an 8 out of 10 on the interview with respect to my overall performance.

I'm so sorry this one didn't go your way. You sound like an awesome person and any school will be lucky to have you and your kindness and perseverance. Sometimes we think we know where we're meant to be, but our place of destiny only becomes clear down the road. My wish for you is that you end up where you will be happy and healthy, wherever that may be. Where else have you applied?

Thank you so much for the kinds words, I appreciate it. I wish you nothing but good health, wealth, and happiness. I applied to the standard 15+ schools, haha. But I hope everything goes well with your application, and I pray nobody has to deal with what I have dealt with on this journey to pursue a dental career.

I just got the e mail reconfirming my attendance for oct 21 and they elaborated a little more on the different parts of the day. But I'm more nervous about mmis than I was before and the group exercise...are they kind of like case studies? Or just how we would react or handle certain situations we are presented with? And for the group exercise do we just discuss our ideas with others? Thanks! Sorry I feel so clueless and I'm such a curious person haha

I just got the e mail reconfirming my attendance for oct 21 and they elaborated a little more on the different parts of the day. But I'm more nervous about mmis than I was before and the group exercise...are they kind of like case studies? Or just how we would react or handle certain situations we are presented with? And for the group exercise do we just discuss our ideas with others? Thanks! Sorry I feel so clueless and I'm such a curious person haha
We signed a waiver that we would discuss specifics...

Just had my interview earlier today and absolutely loved the school! Definitely my #1 choice and hope I don't get one of those infamous early rejections from them later this week :/ I feel like it was all very laid back and they truly just want to get to know who you are as a person and just elaborate on things from the application. I felt very comfortable with the other interviewees, faculty and students and could picture myself being at that school. It was a total dream! Good luck everyone!

I agree with Tara, I felt the interview process was well-designed and well-executed, and the redesign was a better match for the types of students that they want in their program. Other than that I'll hold my tongue on specifics due to their NDA, but just be yourself and enjoy getting an idea of whether this is the curricular style for you. Personally I relished it and felt like it was a good match! We'll see if they felt the same way :p

Also Tara I totally abandoned you when we boarded and only realized that after getting in my seat on the plane... My bad! Blame the lack of sleep for my rudeness.

No worries, Matthew! It was a very long day and I know I even fell asleep like 10 mins before boarding haha Maybe we'll see each other in a year's time though! I'll constantly be checking my e mail for updates from them today and tomorrow lol

Hi everyone, I was wondering if you guys have any idea about the "you are still being considered for the class" email sent after the interviews. How hopeful should I be if I have received this email, should I be happy or is there still a big chance that I might get rejected?

Hi everyone, I was wondering if you guys have any idea about the "you are still being considered for the class" email sent after the interviews. How hopeful should I be if I have received this email, should I be happy or is there still a big chance that I might get rejected?
I was wondering the same thing. I remember one of the other interviewees asking a dental student if there's more of a chance we'd at least get on the waiting list if we received that e mail. The dental student seemed optimistic about our chances after making it past the "first cuts".

Hello fellow colleagues! I am scheduled for an interview on Nov 10, 2014. If anyone is interested in sharing a room or exploring Arizona, shoot me a message!

Hey I need help! I have an interview here on the 28th, and I did not send the confirmation email by the 24th confirming I would come to the interview. Has anyone else ever done that before? It says to also send a quick email if you will not be attending, and since I did not send that email I should be fine right? I sent them a quick email saying their email went to SPAM for some reason and that I am apologize for confirming 2 days late.

Still being considered:bow:

Just got the email for being considered too!

I just got the email that I'm still being considered too!:soexcited: I wonder if they even send out rejection emails at all.
They do..I met someone at an interview that got rejected after he interviewed..

I interviewed at ASDOH last year and was informed everyone would be receiving a "being considered" email after the interview unless it did not go well...in which case you would receive a rejection right away. Definitely a good thing to receive that email! I'm hoping for another shot with ASDOH because I loved the school, the program, and everyone I interacted with on the campus! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.