The Official August 22, 2013 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Person0715

Socially awkward
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone! With just a little less than 2 months to go, I am wondering why this thread hasn't been made yet.

Is anyone else here signed up for the 8/22 MCAT?

I'm following the SN2ed schedule and I can't wait to be done with content review. I'm excited to finally take an AAMC to see if I've been studying correctly these last 2 months.

Members don't see this ad.

For some reason I'm starting to get really optimistic about my score which is a bad idea because I'm gonna be crushed when I actually see it.

Does anyone know when we hear back about our trial section scores and receive the gift card?

Members don't see this ad :)
It's finally September!

My emotions are like a horrible roller coaster. I like dreaming about getting some amazing rock star score like a 38, but other times I have terrible anxiety and envision refreshing to find a 25 waiting for me. And in my stomach I have a sinking, disappointing confidence that I got a 31 or 32. Perfectly reasonable scores, but not high enough for me to be happy with yet not low enough to retake.

How are you guys distracting yourselves? This is crazy.

How are you guys distracting yourselves? This is crazy.

This is my second time waiting for MCAT scores so it's not even close to as annoying as the first time. If you are applying this cycle start secondaries and if you are bored I found that working and keeping yourself busy non-stop is very useful.

Some things to do:
- Get a job
- Get another job
- Look for scholarships so you don't end up in massive student debt
- Find a bunch of stuff around the house (yours or not) and sell it on eBay
- Finally get around to cleaning your room and car
- Start working out at the gym or running around like Forest Gump

Just some ideas haha^^

Hang in there guys! :thumbup:

Dude Korean dramas?? Taiwanese ones are so much better :p

Personally, I like Japanese drama.

Anyway, school is gearing up so I'm keeping myself busy with that. I'm not feeling anxious per se because I've convinced myself that I will be happy with whatever score I get, but who knows if that will be true come the 24th

Members don't see this ad :)
Are any of you applying this cycle? I am applying this cycle and I am really hoping for a decent mcat score so that I can get into medical school this cycle considering I took the mcat late.

Are any of you applying this cycle? I am applying this cycle and I am really hoping for a decent mcat score so that I can get into medical school this cycle considering I took the mcat late.

I will be applying next cycle. Isn't it kind of late to start the process now?

I already submitted my primary end of july, it takes 8 weeks to get verified by then my mcat score should be out so I would be on time I guess. What do you guys think?

I already submitted my primary end of july, it takes 8 weeks to get verified by then my mcat score should be out so I would be on time I guess. What do you guys think?

Since you've already submitted your primary app, I think the best thing you can do is prewrite your secondaries. I believe at most schools, your app will not be reviewed until your MCAT scores come in.

I am! Even though it's late...we're really only a month late compared to everyone else. Yes, it is harder for us to get in this cycle because most schools are rolling, but its definitely possible! I've been working on secondaries while I wait for my MCAT scores to come out. Depending on how good or bad they are will help me choose which secondaries to send in. I'm working on my lower tier school secondaries first just in case my scores aren't as good as I had hoped!

It would really suck to have to apply again, and even though I knew I was going to be applying late I couldn't wait a WHOLE other year to apply. Maybe wasn't my smartest move..but no regrets so far.

I am! Even though it's late...we're really only a month late compared to everyone else. Yes, it is harder for us to get in this cycle because most schools are rolling, but its definitely possible! I've been working on secondaries while I wait for my MCAT scores to come out. Depending on how good or bad they are will help me choose which secondaries to send in. I'm working on my lower tier school secondaries first just in case my scores aren't as good as I had hoped!

It would really suck to have to apply again, and even though I knew I was going to be applying late I couldn't wait a WHOLE other year to apply. Maybe wasn't my smartest move..but no regrets so far.

Yeah, but that's an entire month too late. (Think of how many IIs were offered in that month; look at the school-specific threads on these forums, multiply by 20, and you'll see.) Also, the majority of applicants are definitely not taking the MCAT on 8/22 and applying. So keep that in mind and in perspective.

Yeah, but that's an entire month too late. (Think of how many IIs were offered in that month; look at the school-specific threads on these forums, multiply by 20, and you'll see.) Also, the majority of applicants are definitely not taking the MCAT on 8/22 and applying. So keep that in mind and in perspective.

Yes...I'm well aware of this as I said...was just trying to stay positive...but thanks.

Being positive is good as long as you're aware of your situation. Best of luck to you!

Thanks, same to you! Yea I realize I may very well be applying again next year. But I'm confident and feel okay about it. Sort of hoping for the best but expecting the worst is how I'm thinking about it.

How is everyone holding up with the wait? I can't believe in just over 2 weeks, we will be done with anything MCAT related.

The days have been going by more quickly with classes starting, thankfully. Still hell waiting though. Can't wait until the day that I stop feeling compelled to check the MCAT forum.

Agree, days are quicker. It's still awful. I think I'll have to retake. I wish I was super smart and had done super well. So I sort of hate myself. But I'm accepting the self hatred more every day. Haha is that sad? :(

Thanks all for the busy tips above!! :)

What is wrong with you people. Get off this thread and do something productive with your life. You can always take the mcat again

Does anyone know when we hear back about our trial section scores and receive the gift card?

How long did we have to work on the section to be eligible? Because I say there for half an hour and then was sick and tired of staring at a computer screen for 4 hours, so I just submitted it

What is wrong with you people. Get off this thread and do something productive with your life. You can always take the mcat again

I don't think there is a problem with being invested in something that you've spent a lot of time on and has a large impact on your future.

How long did we have to work on the section to be eligible? Because I say there for half an hour and then was sick and tired of staring at a computer screen for 4 hours, so I just submitted it

Who knows. But I finished with like 20 minutes left and let the clock run down to ~10 to be safe.

Also, like a week ago I felt really confident about PS but now I feel like I bombed it lol. This is ridic.

Who knows. But I finished with like 20 minutes left and let the clock run down to ~10 to be safe.

Also, like a week ago I felt really confident about PS but now I feel like I bombed it lol. This is ridic.

There can be many other useful factors in determining "faithful effort" in trial section. Relative correct % in easy, medium, hard Q's to name one. Are we sure that the time is the determining factor?

I don't think there is a problem with being invested in something that you've spent a lot of time on and has a large impact on your future.

Of course not, thats completely reasonable. What i'm trying to say is that at this point you have NO control over what you get so spending precious energy/time postulating possible scores and having panic attacks isn't being 'invested' its being neurotic.

Of course not, thats completely reasonable. What i'm trying to say is that at this point you have NO control over what you get so spending precious energy/time postulating possible scores and having panic attacks isn't being 'invested' its being neurotic.

+479157270

Especially the postulating possible scores part. I find that to be especially confuzzling.

Postulating scores takes like a minute. Not really much time killing there.

Though I agree panic attacks are a problem.

Postulating scores takes like a minute. Not really much time killing there.

Though I agree panic attacks are a problem.

Pointless psychological scars from that minute lasts however long it takes until the actual scores are released.

Pointless psychological scars from that minute lasts however long it takes until the actual scores are released.

So you're telling me that you haven't once thought about what score you might've gotten? Because I find that hard to believe. And psychological scars? Please. Nickelback songs have a bigger impact on me psychologically.

Last edited:
So you're telling me that you haven't once thought about what score you might've gotten? Because I find that hard to believe. And psychological scars? Please. Nickelback songs have a bigger impact on me psychologically.

I have not. All I've done is eat pizza. I know not how many I got wrong, the difficulty of those questions, the scale that's used for my exam, and etc. How would I even start to go about making a prediction for my score?!?!?!? :confused: :confused: :confused:

The process confuses me. Do I just pull a number out of thin air? Oh, er, average of 37...er, +1 because I drank caffeine and was super focused! Wait, oh, hm...maybe -2 because I had to pee 10 minutes before VR was over! :confused: I truly do find this to be 1) pointless and 2) pointless. Thus, I do not engage in it myself and persuade as best I can to others that such a futile exercise brings nothing but endless worry to those who engage in it.

Also, that was an obvious exaggeration of the situation based on the exaggerated posts people put on these forums after making such extrapolations of their scores. Stop taking everything so seriously/personally?

I have not. All I've done is eat pizza. I know not how many I got wrong, the difficulty of those questions, the scale that's used for my exam, and etc. How would I even start to go about making a prediction for my score?!?!?!? :confused: :confused: :confused:

The process confuses me. Do I just pull a number out of thin air? Oh, er, average of 37...er, +1 because I drank caffeine and was super focused! Wait, oh, hm...maybe -2 because I had to pee 10 minutes before VR was over! :confused: I truly do find this to be 1) pointless and 2) pointless. Thus, I do not engage in it myself and persuade as best I can to others that such a futile exercise brings nothing but endless worry to those who engage in it.

Also, that was an obvious exaggeration of the situation based on the exaggerated posts people put on these forums after making such extrapolations of their scores. Stop taking everything so seriously/personally?

Just because you find it pointless doesn't mean it's pointless for everyone. For me it's cathartic in a way. Let people do what works for them.

And I'm really not taking it seriously. I'm eating chicken tenders.

I really haven't either. I've been working, exercising and socializing since the day the test ended

Just because you find it pointless doesn't mean it's pointless for everyone. For me it's cathartic in a way. Let people do what works for them.

And I'm really not taking it seriously. I'm eating chicken tenders.

True, but I still stand by my trying to persuade people out of doing it, though. Even if they don't listen, it's a different perspective at least.