***The Official Columbia College of Dental Medicine Class of 2023 Interview/Acceptance Thread***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi! I have an interview in Feb and was wondering if there were any opportunities for pre dental students to shadow or volunteer in the clinic or get involved in some way. I live in NYC so its somewhat easy for me to get there.
The 1st year dental students are only about 1.5 months into school right now so we haven't started any preclinical work. Some of my D1 friends are shadowing in clinics. I'm not sure if there's opportunities for predental students to shadow at the school. I would recommend contacting the admissions office to see what they say :)

Members don't see this ad.

The 1st year dental students are only about 1.5 months into school right now so we haven't started any preclinical work. Some of my D1 friends are shadowing in clinics. I'm not sure if there's opportunities for predental students to shadow at the school. I would recommend contacting the admissions office to see what they say :)

How's the didactic curriculum going so far? Do y'all take classes with the med students?

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know when CDM interviews till and if they offer 1st year scholarships?

They do offer scholarships, but few and far between.

Does anyone know if they will call or email? Has anyone heard anything

Accepted today via Email, then received a call from one of the students congratulating me on the acceptance! Good luck everyone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted today via email and then a phone call at 9:20 am EST!!

So excited!!!

Reactions: 1 users
Accepted today at 8:30 am via email!

is the dean's list scholarship the highest merit based scholarship given at 8k/yr?

Big congratulations to everyone!!! Welcome to the Columbia family :) Can't wait to meet you all in the fall

Reactions: 5 users
I was accepted at ~8:30 a.m. via email, no phone call though.

If any current students could answer some of these questions that'd be great!! I only found some answers from like 10 years ago so some updated info would be great, I'm curious about the clinical requirements :)

Standard Format:

1) Name of Your Dental School

2) What is your examination schedule like? Block Schedule (midterms and finals week) or several every week?

3) What is the hardest class? Why?

4) What is the easiest class? Why?

5) Are your classmates generally gunners and try to sabatoge each other? If not, is the culture one where everybody tries to help everybody out?

6) Are the class notes based primarily on textbooks? or based on lecture powerpoints made up by professors?

7) Are there any classes taken with medical students? If so, which ones?

8) What is the grading system? Pass/Fail/Honors? Letter Grades? Percentages?

9) Is there a notetaking service for lecture available?

10) Is class attendance mandatory?

11) In general, are teachers approachable for questions? Or are they for the most part very busy and unreachable (research, etc...)?

12) Is there a big brother/big sister program that pairs you with an upperclassman or professor who "mentors" you?

13) What is the % first time board pass rate? What is the average score?

14) When do you take the NDBE? 1st year or second year? (I guess this wouldn't apply for us since we're taking the combined boards!!)

15) Do you get a block of time off before boards to study? If so, how long? If not, do you have to study simultaneously with classes?

16) Do most people study in the University Library? Or does the place clear out right after school and everybody studies on their own?

17) Are patients readily available to fulfill clinical requirements or do you have to do a lot of work to get them in?

18) Is it a hassle to get a chair once you get patients in? In your opinion, does your school have enough chairs?

19) What are the clinical requirements to graduate? (number of crowns, fillings, etc...) Is it reasonably attainable or pretty difficult?

20) Are there opportunities for different off-site dental clinic rotations? If so, what are they?

21) Are there opportunites for outreach trips to underserved areas or countries? If so, what are they and for how long?

22) Is there sufficent preparation for practice management? What career placement opportunites does your school offer?

23) What is the dress code at your school? Scrubs? For what years?

Please feel free to add any other potentially helpful information about your dental school below! Multiple posts about each school are definitely appreciated if there is something new you feel is worth adding!

Reactions: 1 user
If I have not heard back yet, when should I expect an email

Is it common for pre Dec interviewers to receive post Dec acceptances?

If I already interviewed and my status is still Invited for Interview does that mean most likely rejected

Cancelled my interview. I hope someone gets one!

Reactions: 3 users
Gonna do a quick one, but I remember there was a recent response on this in the CDM Class of 2022 thread (right around 12/1) that may be more in-depth. I'm a D1 so this will apply mostly to your first semester. Removed the q's I wasn't certain on.

2) What is your examination schedule like? Block Schedule (midterms and finals week) or several every week?
Block schedule the first semester, changes to ~1-2 exams/quizzes per week after that.

Molecular Mechanisms is tough because there is so much material to go over. MM is divided into 2 sections - Biomechanisms, Pharmacology, and Genetics.

Probably Histo & Path. We only have class on Monday mornings and the exams are very straightforward.

5) Are your classmates generally gunners and try to sabatoge each other? If not, is the culture one where everybody tries to help everybody out?
No gunners, no sabotaging. The best benefits of a P/F school. We have an overload of shared notes actually haha, impossible to get through them all.

6) Are the class notes based primarily on textbooks? or based on lecture powerpoints made up by professors?
Class notes = slides made by professors. No need to buy/read textbooks.

All of our non-dental classes are taken with med students.

P/F

I believe we pay a student to do this per class per semester. I find it unnecessary.

Not for the majority of classes. You'll know if a class is mandatory.

11) In general, are teachers approachable for questions? Or are they for the most part very busy and unreachable (research, etc...)?
Very friendly professors, we use Piazza for some of our classes to facilitate this.

12) Is there a big brother/big sister program that pairs you with an upperclassman or professor who "mentors" you?
Yes! My "big" was one of the folks calling you guys yesterday actually. Very helpful. D1s are very well-connected with the D2s in general due to this program.

15) Do you get a block of time off before boards to study? If so, how long? If not, do you have to study simultaneously with classes?
I believe we get the month right around winter break.

16) Do most people study in the University Library? Or does the place clear out right after school and everybody studies on their own?
The majority of us study in the library, it's NYC so we all live close to each other after all.

17) Are patients readily available to fulfill clinical requirements or do you have to do a lot of work to get them in?
Yup, I don't think this is an issue here.

21) Are there opportunites for outreach trips to underserved areas or countries? If so, what are they and for how long?
So many opportunities in general. I'm planning on doing research in Vienna this summer and it wasn't too much of an effort to make it happen.

Scrubs/white coat when you're in clinic and pre-clinic; no other dress code otherwise.

Reactions: 6 users
If any current students could answer some of these questions that'd be great!! I only found some answers from like 10 years ago so some updated info would be great, I'm curious about the clinical requirements :)

Standard Format:

1) Name of Your Dental School

14) When do you take the NDBE? 1st year or second year? (I guess this wouldn't apply for us since we're taking the combined boards!!)

18) Is it a hassle to get a chair once you get patients in? In your opinion, does your school have enough chairs?

19) What are the clinical requirements to graduate? (number of crowns, fillings, etc...) Is it reasonably attainable or pretty difficult?

20) Are there opportunities for different off-site dental clinic rotations? If so, what are they?

22) Is there sufficent preparation for practice management? What career placement opportunites does your school offer?

Please feel free to add any other potentially helpful information about your dental school below! Multiple posts about each school are definitely appreciated if there is something new you feel is worth adding!

Standard Format:

First semester is block schedule, after that it's mixed

Debatable but probably Body, Health, and Disease or Oral Histo

Foundations or Population Oral Health

Nah not really, yes people help each other

No textbooks, everything online.

Yes, first year and a half you take Molecular Mechanisms, Body, Health, and Disease , Histology, and Anatomy with the med students

1st two years are Pass/Fail. After that P/F/H.

Nothing on a large scale, sure something on a case by case basic could be worked out.

Med School no, dental classes yes.

Most are approachable.

Yup, every one has a big and eventually a little as well.

Not sure this really applies anymore as we are the last class to take NBDE, but this information is on the website.

It won't apply but we take it winter of second year.

We get an extended winter break, about 4-5 weeks or so.

People study mostly either in the VEC, Hammer, or at home. Some study on main campus.

Patients are readily avaliable.

Not in clinic proper yet but we just opened VC-5 so another floor of chairs. Have heard things can get busy some days but can't say for sure.

No idea as of yet.

Many will do rotations for the specialty of their interest, including at other locations in NYC and outside of it. There if you want to do it.

Yes there are, both with the dental school and the medical school as well.

Can't say as of yet.

Casual in non-clinic settings. Scrubs when in patient care.

So I’m getting there on January 3rd with an interview on the 4th. What should I do to get the most out of my visit?

I interviewed in November and didn't hear back on December 1st.
Does anyone have any sort of knowledge on how many pre-Dec interviews typically end up getting post-Dec 1st acceptances? Thanks

Congrats everyone! If you haven't gotten in yet - don't worry! Some of the most successful people in my class got in in late Spring!

Congrats to all those that got in! If you didn’t hear back yet, don’t fret. Many of the most successful in my class had interviews in November and got accepted in March. Some even interviewed in January and heard back in May.

Last edited by a moderator:
Interview was scheduled for Feb 22, but they sent out an email asking if anyone wanted to interview on 10/26, and I snagged it. Still waiting to hear back. Im so stressed. Columbia is all and everything I've ever wanted. I sent them my letter of intent to accept, I've had them on the phone, nothing. Someone please tell me that I'm not screwed for not hearing back from a pre-nov interview.

Has anyone received the acceptance package yet? Do they send a package at all?

Last edited:
Interview was scheduled for Feb 22, but they sent out an email asking if anyone wanted to interview on 10/26, and I snagged it. Still waiting to hear back. Im so stressed. Columbia is all and everything I've ever wanted. I sent them my letter of intent to accept, I've had them on the phone, nothing. Someone please tell me that I'm not screwed for not hearing back from a pre-nov interview.
You're definitely not screwed. I have 2 friends that are currently attending and they both interviewed in September/October and were accepted in Feb/March.

You're definitely not screwed. I have 2 friends that are currently attending and they both interviewed in September/October and were accepted in Feb/March.
Is there any hope that applicants who interviewed pre-December will hear back from the school in late December or January? Or is that not typical?
I’m hesitant to put down a deposit of $3000 for another school before receiving a decision from Columbia.

I interviewed in September and was accepted in the last week of January. You're not screwed. Hang tight!

I'm interviewing on Jan. 25th and Columbia is my only interview offer so far. I'm still surprised that I even got an interview with my stats. sGPA: 3.22
DAT: 25 AA, TS
Are my chances slim to get accepted even after interviewing? The average stats for applicants is higher than mine. Also, a big factor for me in even attending Columbia would be the environment/weather. I'm from suburban California and very much enjoy it here. If anyone was in a similar situation can you message me or reply to this comment.

should we send columbia a letter of intent if we had a pre-december interview but still haven't heard back from them? i know acceptances are sent out in waves and i don't want to give the impression that i'm being impatient, but i just want to let them know that they're still my top choice before i put down a deposit for another school.

any thoughts?

should we send columbia a letter of intent if we had a pre-december interview but still haven't heard back from them? i know acceptances are sent out in waves and i don't want to give the impression that i'm being impatient, but i just want to let them know that they're still my top choice before i put down a deposit for another school.

any thoughts?
I sent them one in December. Idk if it helps, they never replied to mine. If you're going to do it, I would maybe wait a couple weeks once all the 12/3 acceptances accept or decline their offers.

I sent them one in December. Idk if it helps, they never replied to mine. If you're going to do it, I would maybe wait a couple weeks once all the 12/3 acceptances accept or decline their offers.
I’m in the same boat as princecoup. I don’t want to call or send a letter because I don’t want seem desperate, but after reading what you just said I wonder how many pre-Dec interviews who were later accepted did so without sending a letter.
To your knowledge, do you think most post-Dec accepted students sent letters of intent?

I’m in the same boat as princecoup. I don’t want to call or send a letter because I don’t want seem desperate, but after reading what you just said I wonder how many pre-Dec interviews who were later accepted did so without sending a letter.
To your knowledge, do you think most post-Dec accepted students sent letters of intent?
Honestly no idea, sorry. I can only speak from my own experience.

If I already interviewed and my status is still Invited for Interview does that mean most likely rejected
I have the weird status issue as well on my adea aadsas. I actually contacted their office about this and they told me that they are still in the process of making acceptance, rejection and waitlist decisions. So the answer, based on what the office of admission says, to your question is NO. You have to wait. You could get an acceptance.

Is there a Facebook group for class of 2023??
I was told by Justin that current students will make a group for the new class and we’d be contacted by them when they do so.

Hello! I was accepted to Columbia and was hoping to get my questions answered! 1) I was told during my interview by some of the students at Columbia that they don't offer scholarships, but from this post, it seems that they do offer very few of them? 2) I understand Columbia is P/F but are they ranked? I wasn't able to get a straight answer about this from anyone: Not the admissions, and not from the students either. It seems this is quite unclear. When we are applying for Post grad programs, would they be able to see our internal ranking from Columbia? (From what I understand, they do have internal ranking? But they just don't post them?)

Thanks so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.