***The Official Columbia College of Dental Medicine Class of 2023 Interview/Acceptance Thread***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello! I was accepted to Columbia and was hoping to get my questions answered! 1) I was told during my interview by some of the students at Columbia that they don't offer scholarships, but from this post, it seems that they do offer very few of them? 2) I understand Columbia is P/F but are they ranked? I wasn't able to get a straight answer about this from anyone: Not the admissions, and not from the students either. It seems this is quite unclear. When we are applying for Post grad programs, would they be able to see our internal ranking from Columbia? (From what I understand, they do have internal ranking? But they just don't post them?)

Thanks so much!

Some people do get scholarships, they're just not large sums. There is a ranking system.

Members don't see this ad.

Some people do get scholarships, there just not large sums. There is a ranking system.

Do you know if the rankings are released to Residency programs when matching? I do know there is an internal ranking, but I don't know if that information is released out publicly. I only ask because I feel like if there is an internal ranking, and if its is released, It would give opportunity for a very competitive environment to rise.

Hello! I was accepted to Columbia and was hoping to get my questions answered! 1) I was told during my interview by some of the students at Columbia that they don't offer scholarships, but from this post, it seems that they do offer very few of them? 2) I understand Columbia is P/F but are they ranked? I wasn't able to get a straight answer about this from anyone: Not the admissions, and not from the students either. It seems this is quite unclear. When we are applying for Post grad programs, would they be able to see our internal ranking from Columbia? (From what I understand, they do have internal ranking? But they just don't post them?)

Thanks so much!

Some people do get scholarships, they're just not large sums. There is a ranking system.

Do you know if the rankings are released to Residency programs when matching? I do know there is an internal ranking, but I don't know if that information is released out publicly. I only ask because I feel like if there is an internal ranking, and if its is released, It would give opportunity for a very competitive environment to rise.

There is no true "ranking system". CDM now used the global assessment. It factors more into things like how you treat your patients, did you always show up to clinic, research etc. We had a class meeting about a month ago where they went over this in detail including letting us see the form they use to assess us. I believe the only thing that matters grade wise is for some honor society for the top 2 students in the class or something like that?

CDM is good about curbing any competitiveness, I wouldn't sweat it.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
From what I've heard: I don't think their internal ranking system is released to programs outside of Columbia. Don't quote me on this, I could be wrong!!

There's no consensus on what Columbia's ranking system is.

This presentation details what it used to be but the school has been in major flux.
https://www.adea.org/uploadedFiles/...vernance/ColumbiaADEAPanelPresentationLAZ.pdf

If you're paying 450k+ for a DDS degree, make sure to really evaluate whether you're okay with being in the dark about a lot of things. CDM is one of the oldest dental schools, but you'd be majorly surprised at how much they don't have together. YMMV

Hi I got an interview invite for Friday 2/8 or the following Friday’s. I believe their interviews extend thru 3/1.
They notified me thru email at 8:30AM today

Hi I got an interview invite for Friday 2/8 or the following Friday’s. I believe their interviews extend thru 3/1.
They notified me thru email at 8:30AM today
When did you submit your application? I submitted in end of September and haven’t heard any.

Members don't see this ad :)
did anyone try e-mailing columbia's admissions office recently and their e-mail got bounced back?
i sent it to this address: [email protected]

did anyone try e-mailing columbia's admissions office recently and their e-mail got bounced back?
i sent it to this address: [email protected]

Yeah, I tried emailing that address a while back and it would just bounce the email back. Your best shot is to call.

Reactions: 1 user
The only school that I have been ghosted by and I have pretty good stats. Postbacc gpa: 3.85, 21AA, and 25PAT. I guess not good enough for them or I just didn’t stand out. So to those that got an interview and/or accepted, consider yourself lucky! Hah

Last edited:
Anyone know how many seats are already filled or are left?

Columbia c/o 2023 Facebook group is live, be sure to check your email!

My portal still says invited to interview when I interviewed in beginning of November... when are they going to reject me lol

My portal still says invited to interview when I interviewed in beginning of November... when are they going to reject me lol

don't worry, i'm in the same boat lol. here's to waiting !!

From what I've heard: I don't think their internal ranking system is released to programs outside of Columbia. Don't quote me on this, I could be wrong!!
D4 here- always though I would find out my "third" (upperclassmen told us they ranked us in vague tiers first year) but never did. From my understanding any "rank" exists simply for Dr. Z to be able to write your Dean's letter for residencies. Fingers crossed it was a good enough letter for me to match Monday!

Reactions: 4 users
D4 here- always though I would find out my "third" (upperclassmen told us they ranked us in vague tiers first year) but never did. From my understanding any "rank" exists simply for Dr. Z to be able to write your Dean's letter for residencies. Fingers crossed it was a good enough letter for me to match Monday!
Thanks for letting us know! Good luck!! :xf:

Rough Match Day numbers in case you're interested:
~15 matched to OS
~9 matched to Ortho
~13 matched to Peds
Everyone who applied for a GPR/AEGD matched as well, I believe.

Not sure about the other specialties

Reactions: 3 users
Does Columbia provide laptops?
If you're referring to if we have to buy a certain type of laptop through the school - then no. We're free to buy whatever we want as long as it can run our exam programs (Examplify). Most students use Macbook Pros, iPad Pros, or some sort of Surface laptop/tablet.

Last edited:
Match 2019:
2/4 Endo
1/1 Perio
9/11 Ortho
16/18 OS (1 post-match)
13/13 Peds
Everyone who applied to GPR/AEGD matched as well

Has anyone been rejected or waist-listed yet?

For anyone accepted or who currently attends, I have a question. In the acceptance packet they send to you via Google Drive, it says you need to send in a final transcript that shows satisfactory completion of "one year of study in each of the following courses: biology, inorganic chemistry, organic chemistry, physics, and biochemistry (1 semester)" and 6 credits in English. On the AADSAS portal, it says we need 1 year of math, but a) on the website it says math "strongly recommended" but not required, and b) math is not mentioned as a pre-req in the acceptance packet on Google Drive.

Help!! I'm confused, why is there such a discrepancy?

Last edited:
For anyone accepted or who currently attends, I have a question. In the acceptance packet they send to you via Google Drive, it says you need to send in a final transcript that shows satisfactory completion of "one year of study in each of the following courses: biology, inorganic chemistry, organic chemistry, physics, and biochemistry (1 semester)" and 6 credits in English. On the AADSAS portal, it says we need 1 year of math, but a) on the website it says math "strongly recommended" but not required, and b) math is not mentioned as a pre-req in the acceptance packet on Google Drive.

Help!! I'm confused, why is there such a discrepancy?
Go off of what the official CDM website says and the Google Drive doc. The AADSAS portal isn't the source of truth, it's just a website that helps you apply to dental schools.

Hi Guys! I have an interview tomorrow! I'm so excited/ nervous! anyone have any tips?

Do we receive a packet in the mail after our deposit has been received?

Do we receive a packet in the mail after our deposit has been received?
I got a letter of acceptance (it's exactly the same as the acceptance email). I don't think I got an acceptance packet in the mail. We got a checklist emailed to us a bit later I believe.

Does anyone know how many seats are left?
When I interviewed on 2/1/19 I asked this question and they said they had filled about ~54 seats out of ~80.

Not yet. They received my deposit on Friday, so hopefully I get a financial aid email sometime this week.
They received my deposit on the 8th and they haven't sent it yet. I'm anxious to see what I'll get lol.

Has anyone been formally denied by Columbia yet? My applicant status on AADSAS has remained stagnant throughout the cycle. If not, does anyone know if Columbia is finished interviewing?

From what I've heard, you don't get anything until approximately April. They received my deposit over a month and a half ago and I have yet to receive anything by mail.

Status
Not open for further replies.