The Official July 13, 2013 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EphemeralRose3

I try
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone. I was originally registered or 5/23, but due to a serious lack of discipline and a busy work schedule, I had to reschedule my test date for 7/13.

What are your study plans? And, do you think that this July test date would put you at a significant disadvantage in this upcoming app cycle?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys! I just wanted your opinion about when I should take my last full length exam (AAMC 11). I was thinking tomorrow so I could have a couple days off from test taking, but maybe it would be better to take it on Thursday...

I am taking mine on Thursday, but I've been taking AAMC exams every 2-3 days the past 3 weeks.

Hey guys! I just wanted your opinion about when I should take my last full length exam (AAMC 11). I was thinking tomorrow so I could have a couple days off from test taking, but maybe it would be better to take it on Thursday...

Hmm. It depends. I'm kind of glad I did mine today, because it wasn't my best test, and I feel like if I had taken it on Thursday, I would've panicked a little.

I'm taking it Thursday, but it might be good to take it tomorrow, like amichel said, so that you have more time to review the material if it doesn't go as well as you want. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm taking it Thursday, but it might be good to take it tomorrow, like amichel said, so that you have more time to review the material if it doesn't go as well as you want. Good luck!

i agree with amichel. going to take my last one today (wednesday) and make sure I get enough rest before saturday.

anyone have tips on timing? especially in the PS section? Verbal is really tough for me to get the 7th passage as well.

I'm taking mine tomorrow at exactly 1 pm! Last practice test for me until the exam.

Also, if anyone needs to de-stress a bit, this forum (about wearing diapers to the MCAT) is good for a laugh:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=1001844
Hahahahahahahaha, I love this thread. Thanks Saharon. :laugh:

I just did the first 8 VR passages of the AAMC Self-Assessment for Verbal and 36/42. I can't imagine anyone taking this whole Verbal Self-Assessment in one sitting!!! 120 questions of MADNESS. Out of 40, I usually miss 3-4, so the first chunk wasn't so good for me. I'm going to continue to do a 60-minute Verbal routine everyday from now till Friday. Hopefully that'll balance out with my inability to improve in BS. And now about to go finish that Physics Self-Assessment. Tackling the Biology/Organic Chemistry Self-Assessments tomorrow after AAMCT11.

In the end, I'm just hoping that we all just luck out and get supereasy PS/VR/BS. :)

I really just want this test to finally be over. I hope I don't screw up like I did last time, cause if I do then there goes my application cycle.

Good luck to all! My recommendation after the dreaded june 20th 2pm is to practice some quick math skills, thats what killed me.

Good luck to all! My recommendation after the dreaded june 20th 2pm is to practice some quick math skills, thats what killed me.

yea i should really work on that...took the june 20th and the ps killed me :( so im retaking this saturday...so worried :confused:

What do you guys mean by "quick math"...?

Like memorizing/applying formulas? Doing addition/subtraction and/or multiplication/division?

Exponents? Logs? Natural logs? Graphs?

I'd like some elaboration =D

What do you guys mean by "quick math"...?

Like memorizing/applying formulas? Doing addition/subtraction and/or multiplication/division?

Exponents? Logs? Natural logs? Graphs?

I'd like some elaboration =D

Formulas should be a given.

I'm assuming they mean dividing and multiplying with exponents and lots of variables and other stuff like that

Members don't see this ad :)
Also took June 20 at 2pm...

Formulas should be a given.

I'm assuming they mean dividing and multiplying with exponents and lots of variables and other stuff like that

This guy gets it.

Other than improving calculation speed, I don't really know what else I could've done to prepare more effectively. I thought our PS was pretty much out of left field.

In the end, I decided to take AAMC 11 today and 10 tomorrow because I didn't want to get freaked out if it was so much harder.. Well.. IT WAS SO MUCH HARDER and I freaked out. I've been averaging 13PS and 11BS, and on this test got 11PS, 5VR, and 13BS. So fine,the other score are still up there.. But a 5 on verbal? Any chance med schools would turn a blind eye if my verbal is so low?

In the end, I decided to take AAMC 11 today and 10 tomorrow because I didn't want to get freaked out if it was so much harder.. Well.. IT WAS SO MUCH HARDER and I freaked out. I've been averaging 13PS and 11BS, and on this test got 11PS, 5VR, and 13BS. So fine,the other score are still up there.. But a 5 on verbal? Any chance med schools would turn a blind eye if my verbal is so low?

I GOT COMPLETELY MASSACRED AND BUTCHERED IN VR. I'M IN DEPRESSION. (This is a little bit irrational.... hahaha.)
Also, I had no idea what was going on in the test, but did better in PS/BS than I thought I did when I asked it to be scored.
11PS/9VR/10BS. I don't understand!!!!akfjadksjf

I'm going to go to the gym to sweat my tears out. :( And then get back to understanding what the heck I did wrong. I ran out of time on an entire passage of PS that I didn't realize I skipped (guessed 6 questions in 1 minute), had no idea what was going on in Verbal (was confused on 9 questions!?!?!), and Bio--so many passages that I was having difficulty in comprehending.

And supposedly the actual MCAT is harder than AAMCT11?! I really had no idea what I was doing throughout this test.

I've asked many CA school admissions people about this, and it seems that a 6 is the absolute lowest verbal score schools would turn a blind eye to (that is, if your science scores are high, good GPA, and you're URM). TBH, I'd be happy with anything above a 6 in verbal. I scored a 3 on my first MCAT. :oops:

I've asked many CA school admissions people about this, and it seems that a 6 is the absolute lowest verbal score schools would turn a blind eye to (that is, if your science scores are high, good GPA, and you're URM). TBH, I'd be happy with anything above a 6 in verbal. I scored a 3 on my first MCAT. :oops:
CA! At least you seem to be hitting 10+ in VR now!! That's an awesome improvement.

I'm a fellow Californian, and I really want to stay in-state. My GPA/extracurriculars are all fine, but this MCAT. Man. My AAMC average seems to be hitting a 30, but I just don't think a 30 will cut it for the ridiculously competitive California application process.

We all might just be having a serious case of nerves/too much studying/etc. If you have never gotten a 5VR before, I wouldn't worry. Don't panic!!!! (That's what I'm trying to tell myself too.) ;) I'm irrationally panicking.

What have you been scoring on verbal on your other practice tests? if this is an outlier, i would just review what you got wrong and see what traps you fell into/mistakes you made. other than that, I would not worry too much if it is an outlier.

Great job on PS and BS!!! Really wished I could score as high as you on those sections! : )

My pre-med adviser told me I need at least a 9 in every section and that if I get 11+ in one section and 9- in another, that it looks bad. But from your last test practice test scores, it looks like you're in good shape!

I GOT COMPLETELY MASSACRED AND BUTCHERED IN VR. I'M IN DEPRESSION. (This is a little bit irrational.... hahaha.)
Also, I had no idea what was going on in the test, but did better in PS/BS than I thought I did when I asked it to be scored.
11PS/9VR/10BS. I don't understand!!!!akfjadksjf

I'm so glad you felt the same way! Although, 5 vs 9, I'd take the 9 any day (that's actually been my highest VR so far...)

I ran out of time on an entire passage of PS that I didn't realize I skipped (guessed 6 questions in 1 minute), had no idea what was going on in Verbal (was confused on 9 questions!?!?!), and Bio--so many passages that I was having difficulty in comprehending.

That physics was tough! I ended up jumping around, which I've always been against before, in order to finish most of it. I still missed a passage though. I think I only understood bio because I took a few paper based classes last semester and one of them focused on necessary vs sufficient, which a whole passage was on.

And supposedly the actual MCAT is harder than AAMCT11?! I really had no idea what I was doing throughout this test.

And that would be why I cry myself to sleep after taking practice exams.

What have you been scoring on verbal on your other practice tests? if this is an outlier, i would just review what you got wrong and see what traps you fell into/mistakes you made. other than that, I would not worry too much if it is an outlier.
It, unfortunately, wasn't much of an outlier. I'm trying to "read critically," but I'm still learning. Maybe I should have taken more than 2 English classes during undergrad?

Great job on PS and BS!!! Really wished I could score as high as you on those sections! : )

Keep working at it and you will score that high! :)

AAMC 10 (8, 6, 9) = 23
AAMC 11 (9, 8, 10) = 27

People were saying that BS for AAMC 11 was harder than the others. I was disappointed with my AAMC 10 score but happy about my AAMC 11. I'm not sure what to think about these scores... My goal is a 27 on the real thing....

Good luck guys just two more days to D-Day! This last month all I did were TPR exam avg 7,7,11. I didnt want to do AAMC because they are easier and the real MCAT just seems harder. Hoping I can score 26+ on the real thing and hoping for the best...feeling ancious

My reaction when I come across those obscure questions and I have absolutely no idea what they are talking about

tumblr_meuws8GVsE1rbz63n.gif

Good luck everybody!! We got this

It, unfortunately, wasn't much of an outlier. I'm trying to "read critically," but I'm still learning. Maybe I should have taken more than 2 English classes during undergrad?

Keep working at it and you will score that high! :)

Depends what kind of English classes you take? I only took 1 and I'm pretty sure it didn't help me haha. I guess maybe taking a variety of classes aka. humanities, science, and social sciences would help.
I guess remember to choose the least wrong answer and look for traps and PRACTICE! Find a method that works for you too.

haha, trying to work hard on PS and BS (least of my worries). Usually it's a hit on gchem or physics and a miss on the other. :| and also bad timing.

Makes no sense at all. I did WAY better than I hoped; I'm thinking it's just a fluke.

AAMC #9: 10/8/9 - 27
AAMC #10: 12/9/11 - 32
AAMC #11: 13/11/11 - 35

I guess I had lucky guesses... Hope to get 30+.

WOOHOOOO!

Curious as to what you guys are doing tonight/tomorrow?

Today's my last official study day, but after taking a final practice exam and going over it...I feel like doing absolutely nothing, even though it was one of my worst exam scores lol

WOOHOOOO!

Curious as to what you guys are doing tonight/tomorrow?

Today's my last official study day, but after taking a final practice exam and going over it...I feel like doing absolutely nothing, even though it was one of my worst exam scores lol

Reviewing my weak concepts in both BS/PS sections. Probably going to find a free practice test to do online, tomorrow.

Hey everyone. Just got home from a longish work shift, and am now having a really hard time starting studying. :p

This is the first time I've ever posted, but I have been following this post for the past few months! I am so nervous for Saturday!!! I feel like I haven't actually absorbed anything all of a sudden!

^
Me too!! I just had a massive panic because I remembered a bunch of stuff that I learned moths ago and then forgot.

Calming myself by reminding my brain that this is NOT a content test (mostly).

Last edited:
^
Me too!! I just had a massive panic because I remembered a bunch of stuff that I learned moths ago and then forgot.

Calming myself by reminding my brain that this is NOT a content test (mostly).

yea I just explained that to my mom! the MCAT is really lots of critical thinking based on simple (ish) content.

I am strangely calm, but I guess that's good. I had a panic attack in May before I rescheduled, so I guess I know panic isn't going to help me, so might as well remain calm haha.

We got this! Just think of all the hard work you've put in!

I think the trick for me during the test is going to be not kicking myself for missing a question due to lack of knowledge.

If I miss a pure knowledge question because I just didn't study it, I have to move on and not dwell on it

I think the trick for me during the test is going to be not kicking myself for missing a question due to lack of knowledge.

If I miss a pure knowledge question because I just didn't study it, I have to move on and not dwell on it

Phew, glad I'm not the only one that doesn't know everything =P

Hahah. Well, you're not. My test scores are high, but my content sucks. I squeeze by on good test taking skills. :p

Last edited:
sooo not looking forward to going through my list of things to review tmrw...have been putting it off :D so excited to be freeee though!

s**ts getting real :scared:

I already ave post-mcat dinner planned with a friend, and hiking sunday morning. Can't wait till it's over!!!

Me neither. Mine's frighteningly long.
mine too! off the top of my head:
-endocrine everything
-reproductive physiology
-mirrors/lenses

I already ave post-mcat dinner planned with a friend, and hiking sunday morning. Can't wait till it's over!!!

Haha. I (unfortunately, sometimes) still live with my parents, but I am taking advantage of it Saturday night. They asked me if I wanted yummy post mcat dinner. Hell yah.

Is anyone doing the trial section? I remember being EXHAUSTED by the time I got to the trial section last time. As soon as I began to read the first passage I regret my decision.... definitely not doing it again this time. :laugh:

mine too! off the top of my head:
-endocrine everything
-reproductive physiology
-mirrors/lenses

That's my life exactly; I'm so excited! And I agree with the list + Springs.