The Official July 2nd 2013 Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Francium87

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone who's writing the MCAT on July 2nd is welcome to post any of your thoughts, prep material in use or anything you guys think about the exam

Members don't see this ad.

Last time I took the MCAT - I kid you not - I woke up remembering "8/9/12" and that's EXACTLY what I ended up getting on the actual thing. In that exact order and everything. Freaked me the ffffff out haha. So this whole time I've been paranoid that I'll dream my score again... I've had two score-related dreams and they've both been different so now it's tormenting me even more. >> One night I dreamed "27" and almost had a panic attack, then a couple nights later I dreamed "0/12/13" and almost had a heart attack because that would mean I got a 0 in VR... but then realized that wasn't possible cause the lowest section score is a 1. :p So I'm reeeeeeally hoping that "0" is actually a "10" and I'm right this time haha.

Well... that first dream was right. Seriously feel like I'm going to throw up. As a re-taker, I feel like I'm done for.

PS - 9 (Same as before, 1-2 points below practice test average)
VR - 10 (2 points better than before, on par with recent practice tests)
BS - 8 (WHAT?! Part of me thinks this must be a mistake. 4 points lower than before, and I have NEVER gotten less than a 10 in bio. Ever. And I only got a 10 once - it's always been in the 11-13 range)

Feeling so discouraged right now.

Last edited:
I don't doubt the validity of those 40+ scores, but when a poster posts nothing but his score and his posting history is all but non existent, it seems to me that that poster really just wants to boast about his score without providing any helpful advice, tips, or insights.

Oh I recognize that too, but the idea seemed to be "ignorance is bliss" with regard to people actually getting high scores.

Can anyone tell me if I should even bother continuing to apply this cycle?

I got a 27 with a cGPA of 3.92.

My primary list was

Duke
GWU
Georgetown
Drexel
Johns Hopkins (lol)
Loma Linda
Jefferson
Marshall
More house
Penn state
Temple
Commonwealth
UNC
UPITT
UVA
wake forest.

Depends on your state residency and overall application. I wouldn't waste money on Duke, JHU, or Pitt though.

Members don't see this ad :)
here is a hint:
Those that post scores that have only 2 - 10 posts, dont pay it any attention. You will find that they are posting scores like 38 39 40 etc... Just look at the posts then if it is not a lot of posting then scroll down and ignore it lol.

I don't doubt the validity of those 40+ scores, but when a poster posts nothing but his score and his posting history is all but non existent, it seems to me that that poster really just wants to boast about his score without providing any helpful advice, tips, or insights.

X67BdH5.png

Feel free to ask me anything about how I studied, how long I prepared, etc. I'd be more than happy to share my experience if it will help others.

AAMC Average: 34
Actual 33
12/10/11
could've done way better on VR, averaged about 11-12 on it but idk what happened.
Studied starting end of May pretty much.

Applying to all houston schools, and stanford and a couple other random ones.

What do you guys think my chances are for Baylor and stanford?
3.98 cGPA 3.95 science, 500 hours of shadowing a doctor, other EC's including officer position.

Also, is there a better way to know when someone replies to your thread or post besides just hitting refresh and scrolling? This forum stuff is confusing.

Wow!!!!! What a surpise!!

AAMC Average: 13/10/12 35
Post-prediction: 13/9/11 33
Actual: 15/11/12 38

Could not be any happier right now! Congrats to everyone who reached their goal and to those who didn't, don't give up, this test can be beaten!

AAMC Average: 30
11/12: 29
Predicted: 28
Actual: 34 (11/12/11)

I am so excited right now! I am so happy I retook my 28 :D

now....where to apply?? so much to do!

You guys are what everyone dreams of (i.e. 3-4 points above own average on test day, just out of the blue). Congratulations! Wish I'd gotten that kind of boost/miracle, darn!

AAMC Average: 34
Actual 33
12/10/11
could've done way better on VR, averaged about 11-12 on it but idk what happened.
Studied starting end of May pretty much.

Applying to all houston schools, and stanford and a couple other random ones.

What do you guys think my chances are for Baylor and stanford?
3.98 cGPA 3.95 science, 500 hours of shadowing a doctor, other EC's including officer position.

Also, is there a better way to know when someone replies to your thread or post besides just hitting refresh and scrolling? This forum stuff is confusing.

Change your settings so that you automatically subscribe to a thread you post on in your settings (I forget where it exactly is, but it's easy to find). Or manually go to the top of the thread page, click thread options, and then "subscribe to thread." You can then see subscriptions here: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/subscription.php

WRT your second question, go make a WAMC thread (http://forums.studentdoctor.net/forumdisplay.php?f=418); you'll get much more helpful responses there. But Stanford is a long shot for anyone, and your MCAT is a bit on the low end, like ~20th percentile.

X67BdH5.png

Feel free to ask me anything about how I studied, how long I prepared, etc. I'd be more than happy to share my experience if it will help others.

BOOM. That is beautiful. Congrats.

ughhh had to pray for a good 30 mins before I checked.

AAMC AVG: 29-30
Prediction: I felt like utter crap after the test (esp w/ that BS section)... 26-27
Actual: 31: 11/10/10 (verbal was usually my weakest so that was a surprise)

Just wanted to break 30....i'm so happy!

Good luck to everyone on this cycle or future cycles :)

Last edited:
AAMC AVG: 13PS/9VR/12BS (34)
Prediction: Anywhere from 30-37
Actual: 30: 12PS /8 VR/10BS

I'm pretty dissappointed that I basically got 4 points below my average and on the low range of how I felt. I have about a 3.7 GPA and modest EC's, should I even apply this cycle? Going for MD btw

Did anyone get a surprising score back for VR? For instance, if you ran out of time and had to skim and guess about 1.5 passages worth of questions.

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats to everyone who rocked it! I certainly didn't, but I'm 10th percentile MCAT at my 2 in-state schools with average ECs and 3.9 GPA, so still have an outside shot. If you didn't do well this time (like me), keep your chin up and keep on trucking. There are certainly worse things in life than a bad test score.

Omg omg omg. I failed. No joke. No hope for MD now. Applying this cycle anyways. Hopefully I can get DO.

This was me 5 weeks ago. I felt awful afterward, obviously.

AAMC average: 29 (only took tests 8, 9, and 10)
Prediction: LOWWWW
Actual: 28 (8 PS, 10 V, 10 BS)

I fuked up big time with timing on PS. I was so low on time I had to blindly guess on the last two passages and the last set of discretes. I then pulled myself from the verge of a panic attack to finish the other two sections, which I felt better about, but basically, I still had to blindly guess on the final passage of both V and BS.

So, all I'm trying to say is... I (blindly) guessed a shiet ton on this test and I'm very surprised to even get this score.

My goal was a 30, but I've already spent 1000 dollars on primaries so I'll be applying this year with no retake. That being said, if this were January or even April/May I would probably retake.

I didn't get over a 40, but someone else said something about 38, 39's gloating. I'm sorry if it came across that way. The main thing that struck me was just that my gut reaction both times I took it was AWFUL and then things were better than I thought.

Last edited by a moderator:
I didn't get over a 40, but someone else said something about 38, 39's gloating. I'm sorry if it came across that way. The main thing that struck me was just that my gut reaction both times I took it was AWFUL and then things were better than I thought.

No, it's still gloating if you never ever post besides when your score is released, even if it's "just to say your gut reaction was incorrect." If you actually wanted to treat this forum for its intended purpose (i.e., to discuss, support others, offer advice), you would do more than sign on the day the scores are released and announce your score.

It counts even more as gloating if you have lurked this site for advice yourself and benefited from it. But only you know if that's true or not.

No, it's still gloating if you never ever post besides when your score is released, even if it's "just to say your gut reaction was incorrect." If you actually wanted to treat this forum for its intended purpose (i.e., to discuss, support others, offer advice), you would do more than sign on the day the scores are released and announce your score.

It counts even more as gloating if you have lurked this site for advice yourself and benefited from it. But only you know if that's true or not.

I agree completely with you.

Congrats to all of you for your great scores and good job with all of your hard work

Just my two cents but OP asked for any thoughts about the exam and the individual who posted was doing just that. I think I saw a few others who had a few or even no posts before posting their scores. This guy didn't insult anyone and he didn't brag about anything. He posted his score, just like everyone else, in decent format. I don't think he did anything wrong but I'm sure nobody gives a **** what I think. :rolleyes:

Congrats to all of you for your great scores and good job with all of your hard work

Just my two cents but OP asked for any thoughts about the exam and the individual who posted was doing just that. I think I saw a few others who had a few or even no posts before posting their scores. This guy didn't insult anyone and he didn't brag about anything. He posted his score, just like everyone else, in decent format. I don't think he did anything wrong but I'm sure nobody gives a **** what I think. :rolleyes:

:thumbup:

Straw man.

No one said gloating is completely wrong. Doesn't mean it's not what it is. Don't bring up irrelevant things. Dilpot has 2 posts; one to share his scores, the other to refute that it was what we're saying it is.

P.S. Who's the "OP"?

X67BdH5.png

Congrats. I am very humbled. I have my exam on Friday. What is ur best advice for me?

Hey guys. Long time lurker; first time poster here. I'll post my stats.

AAMC Average: 31.8
AAMC 10 + 11 Average: 32
Post-test Prediction: 9/10/12 (31)
Actual: 12/9/12 (33)

My tip for anyone who hasn't taken the exam yet would be to trust your AAMC averages and not your post-test anxieties.

Also, verbal sucks. :beat:

Yes, right, since "gloating" to anonymous strangers on the internet brings so much satisfaction...

At the very least, someone posting their AAMC scores and actual score gives an additional opportunity for future test-takers to compare their performance with that of others and get a sense of what they can expect. More information is always better. The number of posts someone has is irrelevant.

Stop taking the world so seriously.

Congrats. I am very humbled. I have my exam on Friday. What is ur best advice for me?

If your test is this Friday, there's unfortunately not much you can do between now and then. Like many other people have said, AAMC 11 is most similar to the actual MCAT. If you haven't done 11, I would do that today (Wednesday). If you have done 11, just do some practice passages on the topics that you're least comfortable with.

A lot of people suggest that you shouldn't do any studying the day before the test, and instead just relax. I disagree with this. When's the last time you didn't study the day before a test? Don't go crazy, but do some passages to keep your mind sharp.

Good luck!

Yes, right, since "gloating" to anonymous strangers on the internet brings so much satisfaction...

Have you read threads on this site? :rolleyes: Something about a "diary" of sorts comes to mind...

Welcome to SDN. Please, stay for a while. We have cookies.

The number of posts someone has is irrelevant.

No. The number of posts is relevant to my claim that OP was gloating. Someone with 500 posts of which 2 discussed their MCAT score is looked at much differently than one with only 2 posts to discuss their score and nothing else. I am not the anomaly in this line of thinking.

Stop taking the world so seriously.

Thank you for your enlightening, off-topic, and irrelevant insight regarding this matter.

First of all, Congrats to all the people who got the scores they wanted, whether it was a 28 or a 38 or in between!

Here's my breakdown:

AAMC Average: 29.6
AAMC 10 + 11 Average: 28
Post-test Prediction: 9/9/9 (27)
Actual: 11/10/8 (29)

Last MCAT (May 2012): 7/6/9 (22)

I know it's weird that I should be so ecstatic about getting a 29, while I do acknowledge that it would've been nice to get that 30, I am still in a state of unbelief and utter JOY. There are many in this forum who would immediately look at that 29 and think retake or that life is over, etc., but allow me to tell you why I feel differently and hopefully, my story will bring comfort and renewed confidence to those who may not have received the score they hoped for.

I graduated from undergrad with a pretty low cumulative and science gpa in 2008. I knew I wanted to go into medicine but I was lazy then, didn't develop the right study skills and was just having too much fun. I got a research job instead after and published a few papers working for the next 3 years. It was then I decided that I wanted to try medicine once more and applied and entered a Graduate program in 2011 and worked my butt OFF and got a 3.9 gpa while taking several medical school courses. I took my mcat while I was in the program, thought I did well on my practices and got a 22. YES. A 22.

I did the most normal human thing to do and cried. Sobbed. Wailed and was in a dark place. I had done so well in grad school and then boom: 22. I have to admit it took a lot of time for me to get out of that funk but I resolved to do better. I knew I had it in me and studied again from Feb this year. I admit, my practices weren't great but I improved 7 points. I'M GONNA BE A DOCTOR.

I don't care if it's not an ivy league school, I don't care that it may be a school no one thinks twice upon, because at the end of those 4 years, I get to do what I love to do. And that's all that should ever matter. Not you, not your school's reputation, but the people/patients/families that you plan to help change for the better, whether through a DO or MD.

So to cut this as briefly as possible, to those who got a "horrible" score, firstly, it's ok to vent, cry, lament since we are human. But after you've vented all your emotion, step back up, get back on the plate and don't let it consume you completely. If you truly want to be a physician and help people; NOTHING and NO ONE can ever stop you from your desire to DO GOOD.

Work hard, stay strong and have faith that all will work out in the end. YOU have the passion inside of you to do good and help people, this should be motivation and I hope my journey will help cheer you every step of the way, because I've walked down that road and although it didn't result in a "great" score as most perceive, I'm gonna show these schools who I am and why I want to be a physician and hopefully have the chance to do it one day.

Good luck to you all and Thanks for allowing me to share this. I do apologize if it was a long read, I guess I got carried away with my happiness!!! :D:D:D

The only thing I would say that I learned from The Spinach Method that you CAN do before then would be to come up with a regurgitation list of equations and memorize it. You have a lot of time during consent and the tutorial where you ALSO have your scratch paper and are allowed to write on it. That is where you can regurgitate your list.

Before test day, I had come up with a list of equations I often forgot. The reason is simple: when you can hear the blood pumping in your ears and you have to work that convex mirror problem, you can get a formula which you know really well mixed up if you're nervous. If you take five minutes during the tutorial to regurgitate all of them, you will have that the security blanket while you take the test. I used a few of these while I took the test. My first list was constructed in reference to the formula list in the back TPR physics but I didn't use all of them. I focused on those that I would get tripped up on during practice tests. I also added something on convex lens being converging and a positive focal length.

In summary: Come up with a list of formulas that you often forget. Memorize it and practice regurgitating before test day. Then on test day, regurgitate it as soon as you sit down.

AAMC Average: 35 (11 PS/12 VR/12 BS)

Prediction: 33 (10 PS, 11 VR, 12 BS)

Actual: 37 (11 PS, 13 VR, 13 BS).

I am thrilled with my scores! Also, I'm happy to have managed this on my first try. I knew PS didn't go that well because (a) it is my weakest section and (b) I got 2 hours of sleep the night before the test and started off the test very slowly. I spent like 10 minutes trying to figure out what I was even reading and then ended up picking some random answers.

Regardless, I was freaking out in my first break but I collected myself and was able to manage the last two sections really well!

Congrats to all else that are happy and best of luck to those who are going to re-take! Don't get discouraged, just believe in yourself.

X67BdH5.png

Could you tell us a bit more like what material you covered like EK, TBR, TPR, Kaplan etc., and what was helpful to you. Thanks and off course congrats! on your score.

First of all, Congrats to all the people who got the scores they wanted, whether it was a 28 or a 38 or in between!

Work hard, stay strong and have faith that all will work out in the end. YOU have the passion inside of you to do good and help people, this should be motivation and I hope my journey will help cheer you every step of the way, because I've walked down that road and although it didn't result in a "great" score as most perceive, I'm gonna show these schools who I am and why I want to be a physician and hopefully have the chance to do it one day.

Good luck to you all and Thanks for allowing me to share this. I do apologize if it was a long read, I guess I got carried away with my happiness!!! :D:D:D

Congrats!!! on your score and Thanks for your post, it was helpful.

The only thing I would say that I learned from The Spinach Method that you CAN do before then would be to come up with a regurgitation list of equations and memorize it. You have a lot of time during consent and the tutorial where you ALSO have your scratch paper and are allowed to write on it. That is where you can regurgitate your list.

Before test day, I had come up with a list of equations I often forgot. The reason is simple: when you can hear the blood pumping in your ears and you have to work that convex mirror problem, you can get a formula which you know really well mixed up if you're nervous. If you take five minutes during the tutorial to regurgitate all of them, you will have that the security blanket while you take the test. I used a few of these while I took the test. My first list was constructed in reference to the formula list in the back TPR physics but I didn't use all of them. I focused on those that I would get tripped up on during practice tests. I also added something on convex lens being converging and a positive focal length.

In summary: Come up with a list of formulas that you often forget. Memorize it and practice regurgitating before test day. Then on test day, regurgitate it as soon as you sit down.

I definitely agree with this advice. I did this, though I didn't end up using any of the equations that I had written down. For the most part, almost all of the equations that were needed on the 7/2 test were given in the passage.

I definitely agree with this advice. I did this, though I didn't end up using any of the equations that I had written down. For the most part, almost all of the equations that were needed on the 7/2 test were given in the passage.
Yeah, I didn't use very many of mine. I did on some of my AAMC practice, though. It just makes your life a bit calmer because you know you can go back and look at it.

Yeah, I didn't use very many of mine. I did on some of my AAMC practice, though. It just makes your life a bit calmer because you know you can go back and look at it.

Definitely. Anything like this that can be done to calm your nerves before and during the test is hugely beneficial.

Was the bio section similar to the aamcs in general or a particular aamc in particular?

I thought the BS section was only similar to AAMC 11. My impression is that the science sections of the MCAT have been transitioning to be more like the verbal section. All of the AAMCs except for 11 are, for the most part, just a straight test of your science knowledge. But the recent MCATs, and AAMC 11 to an extent, tests the ability to quickly consolidate unfamiliar information from the passage and use it to make inferences--just like the verbal section. The background science knowledge is still necessary because the more comfortable you are with the material, the quicker you'll be able to extrapolate your knowledge and apply it to make sense of the passage. But it's no longer just a test of what you've learned. That's why the best way to prepare, in my opinion, is to do as many practice passages as possible.

i thought the bs section was only similar to aamc 11. My impression is that the science sections of the mcat have been transitioning to be more like the verbal section. All of the aamcs except for 11 are, for the most part, just a straight test of your science knowledge. But the recent mcats, and aamc 11 to an extent, tests the ability to quickly consolidate unfamiliar information from the passage and use it to make inferences--just like the verbal section. The background science knowledge is still necessary because the more comfortable you are with the material, the quicker you'll be able to extrapolate your knowledge and apply it to make sense of the passage. But it's no longer just a test of what you've learned. That's why the best way to prepare, in my opinion, is to do as many practice passages as possible.

+1

But it's no longer just a test of what you've learned. That's why the best way to prepare, in my opinion, is to do as many practice passages as possible.

I completely agree. I was talking to a friend about her prep and she hadn't done any practice tests yet because she wanted to finish her content review. My advice is always the same. Just take practice tests. Wherever you can get them. Then go over the material you missed (and for AAMC, go over the entire test, not just what you missed) and make notes/flash cards of that. Review it, do some practice passages, then take another practice test.

I know the feeling of but, but, but, I haven't reviewed x and y and z yet and I know I"m not totally comfortable. On a few of my practice tests I wanted to delay them because I was behind on content review but I chose not to and I think that was the best move. If you're really, really far gone on some area of content, okay I get it. But this last time around, for instance, I didn't know about close ended tubes/open ended for wavelength and the formulas for those. I hadn't gotten to that point in my content review. Popped up on a practice test and boom I learned it and never forgot it again.

Last edited by a moderator:
Could you tell us a bit more like what material you covered like EK, TBR, TPR, Kaplan etc., and what was helpful to you. Thanks and off course congrats! on your score.

Yeah, definitely!

As a warning, while I was writing this response, it kinda turned into a novel about my entire MCAT studying experience. It's a lot, but hopefully there's something in here that can help some of you. I'll probably post this elsewhere too, in the 30+ study habits thread or something, if people find this useful. Get ready, this is gonna be a long one...

So before I started studying, I read through the books for each of the 4 science subjects from TPR, TBR, EK, and Kaplan. I did this over the course of a few months, and did it pretty casually, without taking notes or worrying about remembering anything. It had been awhile since I had taken most of the pre-req classes so this was a good way for me to reacquaint myself with the material.

I wanted to study with books that were detailed, but not unnecessarily so (e.g., TBR bio), so I used TPR for physics and bio and TBR for chem and orgo. I made a schedule that was based on the SN2ed plan, but I changed it up slightly. I cut out EK1001 because I felt the questions were easy enough where my time would be better spent on other things. I also didn't reread the chapters, and didn't do the hat trick thing. But I still split up the passages into 1st third, 2nd third, 3rd third, like the SN2ed plan suggests. I did all of the passages from TBR, including bio and physics even though my content review for those subjects came from TPR.

One of the most valuable aspects of the SN2ed plan is how it forces you to work on timing. Like the plan suggests, I started by giving myself 7 minutes for each passage and 1 minute for each discrete, and over the course of two months worked down to 6 minutes per passage. Never do anything untimed, that just doesn't make sense. You practice like you play.

For verbal, I did 3 passages every single day (including "break days") from either EK or TPR. In my opinion, TPR is better than EK and more like the actual MCAT verbal. While I spent A LOT of time going over the answer explanations for each question in the science subjects, I only briefly skimmed over the explanations for verbal. I thought the reasoning was often super weird and not at all like the AAMC reasoning. I only started paying close attention to the reasoning behind the answers when I started doing verbal from AAMC. Just use the verbal practice to get used to reading quickly and consolidating the information.

So here's my biggest piece of advice: by the time your test rolls around, if you don't feel confident that you're gonna kill it, don't take it. You only wanna take this bad boy once, if at all possible. So I did the aforementioned studying during the summer of 2012 (I had a research grant but I got most of my project done before summer even started so I had a lot of time). I was scheduled to take the MCAT in early September 2012. Three weeks before my test, I decided I wasn't ready. I didn't take any FLs. I didn't need to take any in order to know that I wasn't as ready as I wanted to be. I wasn't completely comfortable with the material. I probably would have scored somewhere in the low 30's, which is certainly a great score, but I'm an extremely competitive person and I knew I would be disappointed in myself for not doing everything possible. So I cancelled my test.

It's as simple as this: If you don't feel ready to take it, don't take it. Even if postponing means that your application will be delayed a year or two from when you originally planned. ESPECIALLY if it means you'll have to take a gap year or two. I'm a huge proponent of gap years. The schools that I want to go to are the hardest to get into, so I wanted to set myself up with the best possible chance. That includes getting the highest MCAT score that I can. Do you think when you're 70, you're gonna think to yourself, "Damn, I really wish I would've started med school a year earlier. I'm really missing that extra income I lost out on"? Hell no. You're gonna be reminiscing about the crazy fun experiences you had in your early and mid 20's. Which is why I'm taking gap years to pursue an athletic passion of mine before starting med school, which I'm confident will not only make my application stand out, but also give me time to grow as a person and have some fun before devoting my life to medicine. But I'm starting to get off track...

So I delayed my MCAT. For almost an entire year. During that year I took a few upper level biochem and physiology classes because I felt that bio was my weakest subject, and I definitely think the classes helped. This spring, I started studying again. I reread the TPR and TBR chapters that I was still a bit uncomfortable with, and since it had been a year since I had done the TBR passages and I didn't remember most of them, I did all of them again. I also did the entire TPRH science workbook. I did all of the passages that I could get my hands on.

During the last couple weeks leading up to the test, I did AAMC FLs. My average was slightly lower than I wanted (37.5), but I felt ready, so I took it.

All things considered, I'm actually a bit disappointed with my 39. I know most of you will think I'm crazy for saying that, and I will agree with you, but a few of my good friends had also gotten 39s and like I said, I'm very competitive and I go to a competitive school and I hang out with competitive kids. So for me, 39 was excellent but still not that unusual, whereas 40 was this elusive number that I really wanted to hit. It sucks just a little bit knowing that I was most likely 1 right answer away from a 40. Don't get me wrong, I'm super pumped with my score. I just think I could have gotten slightly higher. And I know that the difference between a 39 and a 40 when it comes to my application is basically nothing, so I'm definitely happy.

So this is how I got a 39. I'm not a smart person, I just work really hard to get what I want. I think that what I did worked for me, but other people will obviously be more successful with a drastically different approach. For example, one of my aforementioned friends got a 39 after studying for a grand total of 2 weeks.

One last thing. Don't let the MCAT consume your world. There's more to life than being pre-med. While I was studying I still spent time on other hobbies, went out during the weekend (and sometimes during the week), got drunk, partied, hung out at bars with my friends, went to clubs with girls. This is a bit of an unpopular opinion on SDN, but college is supposed to be FUN. Take it from me, if you want it bad enough, it's possible to get a 39 MCAT, a 3.97 GPA at a top school, do research, publish articles, run a volunteer organization, work at a clinic, shadow doctors, and put together a killer application while at the same time doing the stupid, fun, crazy stuff with your friends that you'll remember for the rest of your life. You just might not get a lot of sleep. And before anyone accuses me of "gloating", stop. I honestly could not care less what any of you internet strangers think of me. I got a ton of valuable information from this site over the years and I just want to give back. Maybe some of you will find this candid story of my MCAT experience useful.

This turned out to be much longer than I intended, but hopefully it helped those of you who chose to read it. Let me know if you have any more questions, I'd love to help!

I completely agree. I was talking to a friend about her prep and she hadn't done any practice tests yet because she wanted to finish her content review. My advice is always the same. Just take practice tests. Wherever you can get them. Then go over the material you missed (and for AAMC, go over the entire test, not just what you missed) and make notes/flash cards of that. Review it, do some practice passages, then take another practice test.

I know the feeling of but, but, but, I haven't reviewed x and y and z yet and I know I"m not totally comfortable. On a few of my practice tests I wanted to delay them because I was behind on content review but I chose not to and I think that was the best move. If you're really, really far gone on some area of content, okay I get it. But this last time around, for instance, I didn't know about close ended tubes/open ended for wavelength and the formulas for those. I hadn't gotten to that point in my content review. Popped up on a practice test and boom I learned it and never forgot it again.

Awesome advice. When I started studying I definitely fell into the temptation of spending too much time on content review at the expense of practice passages. When you realize that, for the most part, it's not about the details in each chapter, but knowing the general concepts enough to apply them to new information, your studying becomes much more effective. And like you said, by thoroughly reviewing the answers, you'll start to remember most of those details anyway.

Has anyone noticed that your scores now show up on your application but the line "Addl 2013 MCAT Intent Date: 07/02/2013" also shows up under it? At the time of applying I checked the future test date option because the score wasn't out yet but now that the score is out the option wasn't automatically removed. It's pretty obvious that I can't have an additional score on the same day but I don't know if any schools have an automated screening process that puts your application aside if you check "additional" dates. Will you guys be un-checking the box and re-certifying or just letting it be? Does re-certification change the submission date listed on your application (I know it doesn't change your place in the verification queue)?

So here's my biggest piece of advice: by the time your test rolls around, if you don't feel confident that you're gonna kill it, don't take it. You only wanna take this bad boy once, if at all possible!

Thanks! I appreciate the trouble. I cancelled my Aug 28 exam date. I don't think I am ready yet to tackle this monster and like all 80,000 of us, I too want this madness to end once and for all ---- so 6 months more will probably help...........

Have fun!!!

Hey I went the Kaplan route.

Average AAMC Score: 24?
AAMC 10/11: 25
Post-Test: Anywhere from 22 to 26ish
Actual: 8 PS 10 VR 10 BS 28

I'm not a bigshot 35+ guy, but I am really proud of this score. Should be good enough for DO, which is what I'm applying to. Overall thoughts: Never void the test if you answered all the questions, your score can be surprising.

Average: 11/10/10 (31)
AAMC 10: 12/9/10 (31)
AAMC 11: 9/10/10 (29)

Predicted (wishful thinking..) 11/10/10 (31)

ACTUAL: 12/11/10 = 33!!

I cannot believe it. Coming out of the test I felt defeated. I agree with previous poster, as long as you answer every question, DO NOT VOID, you never know what your score will be/ how the scale will be set.. This is my second time taking the mcat. The first time I scored a 26 and felt better coming out of that test than I did this time around, but was able to improve my score by 7 points by taking so many practice tests to get used to the timing/style of questions.

Thank God the MCAT is over for me :D